October 25, 2014 | 1577 users online

Sunscreen - Clarins - UV PLUS Protective Day Screen SPF 40

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2008 11:43:00 AM More reviews by Tess35

I have used the old version for years and has been my staple even with occassional straying. It is lightweight and does not leave a whitecast. It is semi-matte too and does not wipe off even when my face perspire profusely. My only unpleasant observation is that I can't use this with matte liquid foundation, also from clarins, as they felt like spreading semi-dry cement on my face. Other than that, this just amazing with anything on top or below it.

The only ss that I can really level on this baby is Diorsnow Pure UV spf50 (also on the same price range) except that Dior leaves my pores dirty and gunky.

I also have the trial size of the new version, the colored one. It is pinkish white and flatters my complexion but I can't imagine it working for darker skin. Other than the color, every character is exactly the same as the old version so I would presume that the new clear version is the exact replica of the old one.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2008 8:05:00 AM More reviews by eurodivas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I just returned from Dubai where the temperature is already 40 degrees C. I left home with my usual La Roche Posay sunscreen but with the high heat and humidity my face became so oily that I found my self in the Shopping Mall looking for something a bit lighter - more attractive. The sales assistant recommended this sunscreen because of its light application and the added plus it that it is virtually colorless on dark skin types - women of color. .

This has to be the best sunscreen that I have used. No Oily shine - no Acne or Ghost effect. I recommend this sunscreen to all women of color who have problems finding a sunscreen which blends into our skin without leaving a white overcast.

Very well done from Clarins. I am not a fan of this Skincare line and this is one of the only products where I can say I will buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2008 10:15:00 AM More reviews by chique

So far as I've lived... this is the best sunscreen... The texture is really light, easily blend, doesn't leave the whitish color on your skin as usual sunscreen does... It doesn't break me out at all.. It is as well easy to be removed.. The Best.. 5 lippies!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/23/2008 11:57:00 AM More reviews by eponine121

I really like this product, it is light, goes on well, not overly greasy, and doesn't break me out much. Goes well under foundation.
My main problem is it doesn't have very good UVA protection.
Update: This is not good if you suffer from hyper-pigmentation, or are on any medication that makes your skin sensitive to the sun. i was using it every day, and i got two new hyper-pigmentation spots/patches whilst using this(was very hot/sunny that day). Clarins have also ignored 5 emails from me asking for the PPD!

UPDATE: i did not get on well with using a chemical sunscreen(lancome) so i went back to this product, this time using the new formula. Love it, light, not greasy, doesn't casue breakouts, make up goes on better with it. Still worried about it not being as good as others for keeping away pigmentation, but i cannot use chemical sunscreens so this is the best phisical one i've tried.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/22/2008 9:27:00 PM More reviews by innerchild

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Excellent sunscreen. Haven't come across any just like it, and I've tried many. Easy to spread, no pilling, no white cast, non-greasy, doesn't break me out nor dry me out. Good protection, though not completely long-lasting or waterproof. Can double as a primer. The packaging is cute, can easily fit in my bag/purse/backpack. The nozzle helps you dispense just the right amount, no wasting. I highly recommend this sunscreen! I'll continue to purchase Clarins, although I'm not sure how the new formula will be. I hope it'll be for the better.
EDIT: (11/21/10) I've deducted 2 stars (from 5 to 3) after experiencing redness and burning in the sun from being outside in the summer heat in this subtropical climate (southern Louisiana). I do like how it's cosmetically elegant since it's great as a base for makeup, and the texture is so fluid and doesn't pill, but aesthetics aside, it doesn't perform well. It didn't protected me, and I wear sunscreen for this main purpose. I'm still on a hunt for a strong physical sunscreen for the summer, but Clarins seems to be ok for winter around here (late November to January, since it doesn't get cold until November in Louisiana, but not for fall since it only gets breezy and mildly cooler in October with lots of sunshine still.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/21/2008 8:13:00 PM More reviews by jomdaly

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Discontinued? Bummer! I'll have to try and stock up if I can, but may have to work lots of OT to do it. I really like this product. It is the only sunscreen that looks works with all my foundations. Sheisido also has nice sunscreen, but this one is my favorite. The only reason I am giving it a 4 is because of the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2008 6:15:00 PM More reviews by mAn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

THIS VERSION OF PRODUCT HAS BEING DISCONTINUED.

I was very sorry to hear that since it was one of my favourite products. It is used very sparingly and spreads very nice on your skin. No oily feeling afterwards. Really a great product!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/23/2008 3:32:00 PM More reviews by springchick

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Pros:
Really cosmetically elegant. This is more cosmetically elegant than other physical sunscreen i've used on my face before - like the shiseido extra gently one for sensitive skin/babies - it leaves less white cast and feels lighter. Also doesn't cause ANY greasiness, provides a matte finish once dry.
Cons:
1.seems to contain alcohol, which I thought photosensitizes skin,
2.only active ingredient is ~ 8% Titanium Dioxide, and if I remember correctly, TiO2 alone doesn't provide high UVA protection, at least compared with Zinc Oxide.

This review is for both the old uv plus and the new one with added "environmental protection" - I've used both and they're pretty indistiguishable to me.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/15/2008 2:28:00 AM More reviews by doggy

I used this product when it first came out & stopped. Recently I went back because it's been nearly impossible to find a physical sunscreen that is cosmetically elegant. I was hoping I would have a different reaction to this one the second time around. Unfortuneately I have the same issues as I did before. It leaves a white cast & stays slighlty sticky on my face, it doens't really complete absorb into the skin. It ends up making my skin feel tight due to it's absorbing properties. It makes my face appear redder due to the alcohol content. It's also heavily fragranced, although the smell does dissappate after a few minutes of application. It does not look good under powder foundation because of the white cast that changes the color of the makeup & makes me look really pale & unnatural & I'm an NC20 as it is. The pros is that it's a liquidy texture so I don't tug at my skin as much compared to when I use a cream sunscreen, tugging is inevitable when applying the cream type sunscreen as you have to really spread & rub it in. I also like the small portable size, great for travel. It is pricey, as the $40.00 tube only lasts me one month. Sigh, the search continues for a better sunscreen. I'll be using this up though since I currently don't have a back up sunscreen. I'll use this up on the weekends when I don't wear makeup or for my neck & hands as it's so small it will be gone in a mere few weeks.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2008 6:06:00 AM More reviews by psmitty

Love this stuff! It was painful to pay the $40 CAN at Sephora for such a tiny bottle, but it is an excellent, versatile, and high-quality product. It's oil-free, completely non-greasy, and has a great SPF. It's not as heavily fragranced as usual Clarins products either. This is great for Canadian weather- you can wear it under moisturizer for dry winters, and alone for oil-control during the sweaty summers. Now, I'm wearing it alone under a foundation that makes me oily and it mattifies all day. EDIT: Unfortunately, this dried my skin out and seemed to let some rays sneak in. Maybe not the best total UV protection? Who knows.. I switched to the more reasonable and sun-proof Shiseido Extra Smooth Sun Protection Cream SPF 38. It mattifies and moisturizes better so I don't need an additional one on top.