April 21, 2014 | 974 users online

Moisturizers - LUSH - Imperialis

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2008 4:10:00 AM More reviews by cocofabulous

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

After one night of use I broke out in a patch of whiteheads on my temple... the tub packaging isn't great either. This is really moisturising but don't go near it unless you never ever get a zit!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2008 10:44:00 AM More reviews by hoku

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Overall: 3 (edit May 2008)

Price:2 ($22.95/1.5oz)

Packaging: 2

Buy again: No (Edit may 2008)

EDIT May 2008: I've changed my mind about this product, just because I feel that I can get other moisturizers that perform the same without the weird smell, or the high cost. I've switched to Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle cream, which isn't all natural, but it leaves me skin looking good enough for $20 and helps with acne and pigmentation. My old review is below.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll start by saying I rarely give moisturizers a 5.

ABOUT ME:

I am a 20-something asian female, combo/oily in summer, combo/dry in winter, acne-prone, sensitive (what a wonderful combination). I have used countless drugstore products as well as high end (Murad, Clinique, Proactiv) to keep my skin under control, and while my skin isn't horrible, it's not as nice as I'd like it to be. I've been using benzoyl peroxide for the last 5 years on a nightly basis.

THE PRODUCT:

When you first look at the ingredients, you freak out because it contains oils, cocoa butter, and shea butter-- everything a pimple-phobe has been told to avoid. However, my skin was behaving very strangely lately, and I needed something more moisturizing than an oil-free lotion, so I checked with reviews and the LUSH reccommendation chart, and saw Imperialis fit the description I was looking for. Some of the MUA reviews said it was perfect, some said it broke them out, so I was nervous, I'll admit-- I am a full-time university student, and the place where I am doesn't have a local LUSH store, so I would have to purchase the whole thing without trying it first.

Well, I'm so glad I did. While the packaging is functional, it's not much to look at (black plastic pot, screw on lid), but the product inside makes up for it! Imperialis is a pinkish lotion-cream, absorbs very quickly without shiny/oily residue. It actually leaves my face matte, but does moisturize wonderfully. I combine it with Eau Roma so that it spreads better, and only need to use a pea-sized blob for my face AND neck together! (I don't mind the pot; my hands are clean when I touch my face anyway, so I can at least get to every drop!)

This moisturizer contains a host of wonderful ingredients, most note-worthy: Lavender infusion, mullein leaf infusion, olive oil, shea butter, cocoa butter and orange blossom water. There are a bunch of other things too, so I think the $23 for the pot is an awesome deal-- you're getting a very high quality moisturizer here, folks!

Being acne-prone, I am always worried about stuff making my skin worse. I've only used this for 3 days, but I can usually tell if my skin likes it or not; my skin LOVES this. It hydrates without stickiness or a greasy face, it actually helps make my face less oily! And, I haven't had any breakouts or itching, or even felt an on-coming zit (I used to get those with a bunch of other products I've tried). I haven't used my benzoyl peroxide in the last 3 days, and by now, I should be breaking out to high-heavens--- amazingly, I am crystal clear.

The only thing I dislike about this is the smell-- It reminds me of wet, stinky, smelly socks. Sometimes I don't notice it, but when I wear this cream while in a warm room, I REALLY smell it (and no, it's not me. I don't have this problem with other creams!). So... yeah. But I won't dock marks for that.

In short: this stuff is awesome, you must get it. (I alternate between this and Enzymion-- I usually use this at night for a nice light night cream).

rated 1 of 5 on 1/3/2008 5:41:00 AM More reviews by sisterdew

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought 2 pots of this moisturiser (It was a special offer after Christmas) as I adore Lush bath products and have recently gone vegan so was keen to replace my current products with vegan ones.
I opened the first pot and was overcome with the smell. Think putrid food. I was sure it had smelled ok in the store so I opened the 2nd pot and although it isn't quite as bad it was still faintly off smelling.
I wanted to give them a chance so tried the least offending tub for 2 days only to break out in spots on both cheeks (I haven't even suffered from this as a teen!!!)
I also got another moisturiser in the deal which is grainy as if it hasn't been mixed properly. I'm not sure if it's the quality control or just the batches went off but it really wasn't right.
Soooo let down in Lush.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2007 1:56:00 PM More reviews by maz123

I wasn't sure whether this would cause me to break out as it has so many natural oils in it. I also thought that it might be greasy & sticky like almond kisses.

Luckily this has been fine! It's great for my combo skin after using fresh farmacy cleanser. It's winter right now & this moisturiser keeps my combo skin moisturised without leaving it shiny. fab.
I will update this review later if after using it for longer I notice any break outs!

5stars*****

rated 4 of 5 on 11/12/2007 8:26:00 AM More reviews by drummergirl71

I have major issues finding a lotion for my face that doesn't clog my skin, and make me break out! This is awsome!! I have never broke out from it.

I had to use a different lotion this past weekend cuz it was all I had with me... and now have about 10 huge pimples!! Ack!

The container for this could be better. I would rather see it in a bottle. I hate having to travel with this. For the cost, I hate to lose any of it!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2007 7:39:00 AM More reviews by ahappyplace

Imperialis is my HG moisturizer. There was certainly an adjustment period when I switched from my old standby, Olay Complete, but I persisted and now have glowy skin with only the occasional breakout. My skin seemed to change overnight from oily to mostly dry once I turned 26, and Imperialis is perfect for my new skin needs. It is very soothing, especially after a good scrub with Ocean Salt. I personally like the scent, which smells faintly of roses to my nose. The cost may seem exorbitant to some (it certainly did to me) but my first tub lasted over 6 months. A dab will do ya, seriously. My Bare Minerals goes over this like a dream, as long as I let it sink in for 15 minutes or so. I use Imperialis day and night.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/27/2007 7:39:00 PM More reviews by tinachen0401

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I liked most things about this product: fragrance, price, texture. A little went a long way and for the first week made my skin look really good. After that, it gave me horrid cystic acne! I've had such breakouts before but it was not this bad. I'm sure what happened, but I know the lotion made it 10x worse because it was the only lotion I was using on my face. (I was testing products one by one.) I'm still recovering from the acne..and it is really painful.

If you don't have a problem with breakouts and enjoy a rich comforting moisturizer, than this is fine for you.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/24/2007 3:30:00 PM More reviews by mitulove

I really think lush need to reconsider their facial lotions line. All of the ones intended for daytime use should have proper sunscreen, in my opinion. The formulations are just odd as well. This one in particular was insubstantial, applies strangely, didn't settle right, didn't wear well under make-up. The ingredient lists are very zen, I'll give them that, but skin care does also need to benefit from state-of-the-art ingredients that maybe don't sound as 'organic' as vanilla and chamomile and such.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/17/2007 10:57:00 AM More reviews by Dranaan

I am totally onboard with this moisturizer. My skin was suffering badly from adult onset acne, and the prescription creams were MURDER on my face--far too strong and drying. I was at a loss and did not know what to do, when a friend suggested I try LUSH. My skin has never looked better. I use Imperialis as my night cream--it's soothing both in texture and scent, and it's even creamy enough for my very dry undereye area. I only need to use a tiny bit to cover my whole face and I wake up feeling moisturized but not greasy. No breakout problems. My dry patches are clearing up and my oily spots are considerably less oily. I love this product--I wish they made a huge one so I could use it on my body too!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2007 12:33:00 AM More reviews by GidgetGirl

I have combo skin and I found it to be a great help. I'm going on a sample here and the sample alone lasted me around 3 weeks (using it once a day, in the mornings). I found it hydrated my skin without making it shiny or oily. I didn't break out like some of the other reviewers either. I think the key is also how much and how often you use a product. I found when I was a bit oiler I used it less, and when I was a bit dehydrated especially these days in winter, I used it every day. I also finally took the SA's advice and only used a dot of the product (using my pointer finger) which suprisingly covered my whole face, made the product last longer and didn't result in a horrible greasy feeling like has happened in the past with other moisturisers. Definitely going back for the full version with my 10% off voucher. In summary - great value for money, great for my combo skin, not too greasy, and totally chemical free. Lovely.