August 28, 2014 | 1332 users online

Scrubs - Origins - Modern Friction

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2010 12:21:00 PM More reviews by sll74

this product is a pretty decent microdermabrasion. it's not harsh. my skin feels pretty good after i use it. what i do not like is that they changed the package from a jar to a tube. that alone may cause me not to repurchase. i always feel like i never get all the product out of a tube. it must be applied to dry skin. it has a buffing effect. i like it well enough but again might not repurchase due to packaging and i think my skin responds better to the olay microdermabrasion product.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/13/2010 3:56:00 PM More reviews by c2yoshi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I used to use this scrub for a while, but I never finished it.

While it did help make my skin smoother, it wasn't a very noticeable difference. My biggest problem is that the directions have you use it after cleansing your face, and part of using the scrub is foaming it up, which further strips my face of moisture. This coming from someone who has oily skin, too.

I've had better results using something like PTR Anti-Aging Buffing Beads instead, or just some kind of AHA treatment 2-3 times a week. Overall, I just found this product mediocre.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/13/2010 3:30:00 PM More reviews by sors

I have a love hate relationship with this product. It seems to work great, and I am happy with how my skin looks while using it. Yet I am not happy with this burning irradiated feeling I get while using the product. My skin looks fine after I wash it off, but when it is on my skin it has an itchy/burning feel to it. Honestly I will probably use the rest of this bottle but I doubt I will buy it again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2010 3:00:00 AM More reviews by halimeade

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Oh man, I'm not really sure how I feel about this product. I have a full sized product in the old tub packaging as a buy two pack at Target (came with A Perfect World toner), and a small tube I got in a GWP when I bought a full-sized Checks and Balances face wash (LOVE that product).

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure the tub of product hasn't gone off... its so gummy, though the tube seems to have a similar consistency. Not a great first impression, eh?* The smell also seems funky, sort of like Hope in a Jar from Philosophy, which is a definite negative. Applying the product to your face dry is also a terribly unpleasant feeling. The scrub bits are huge and it feels harsh in comparison to what I usually use, which uses sand-sized particles for exfoliation. My combo/oily skin initially feels a bit dry after I wash it away, but does hydrate nicely again within a half hour.

So why am I willing to try using the rest of the tube? Because despite all the unpleasantness, my skin does feel soft and exfoliated afterwards. My night serum absorbs perfectly into my skin, and I wake up looking good. Will I likely buy it again? NO, because its hideously expensive and I hate using it. I think I can do better.

*I'll probably throw the tub away, since I'm convinced its gone bad.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2010 3:47:00 PM More reviews by OmToast

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I always, always, always come back to Origins for skincare. Always. I had been using Modern Friction religiously, several years ago, when I relocated to a place with no Origins counter. However counterproductive an attitude, I can't get over the fact that it's a bit ridiculous to drive 2+ hours for a "natural" skincare line. It's equally ridiculous to have it shipped all over the continent. So I spent the last 2.5 years searching desperately for a scrub that was as gentle as MF, that could be used almost daily, and was readily available. I found some pretty good ones, but not a one of them gave my skin the same amazing glow and softness that MF imparts. Since I recently moved to within 1 hour of the nearest counter, I decided to just suck it up and grab a pot. Hosannah! It not comes in a tube! My only stupid little complaint about it had been that the tub was annoying to operate in the shower and lo, it is resolved. So now I have my perfect scrub back, it's easily dispensed, my skin is thrilled, and I am totally going to get over the 1 hour cosmetic voyage, because this stuff lasts ages, anyway. Just a very small, pea-sized bit does it for me. Massage gently on dry skin, add water to froth, rinse and discover awesomeness. My face is so happy!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/28/2010 3:36:00 PM More reviews by stephanierenee

Works Great, makes skin smoother

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2010 5:11:00 AM More reviews by missmei

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

I really loved this product when I first tried it at a mini-facial at Kit as I was so much more gentle than anything else I had ever tried. I bought the tub (I think it was about 75AUD which is quite exey!!!) and couldn't wait to take it home.
It was working well as I was trying to 'love my skin' while keeping up with exfolaition so that my congested skin would get better before my wedding. I had to step up my skin regime and ended up using acne creams and antibiotics. I found that this product started to burn on my skin using this combination. I think Differin makes your skin more sensitive things even if they are 'sensitive' formulations. Just depends on your skin I guess!
It comes in a tub - don't love it due to hygiene and ease of use issues.
This is never good in the eyes - it stings big time! It has lemon juice in it. Good for brightening the skin but def not for the eyes!!!
A little goes a long way and I think it works infinitely better. If you use too much of this product it feels really tights and dry on the skin. It also becomes a hassle to wash off if you use too much. I find it most effective after you have washed your skin in the shower after your skin has been slightly dried, this way you don't need to use heaps of product and lessens the burning/tight feeling. The right amount for my skin is about the size of my thumbnail.
This product has lasted a really long time and I use it regularly.
I might repurchase this again if it didn't cost so much upfront and it is also dependent on whether or not I need to use medicated acne creams.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/15/2010 12:44:00 PM More reviews by cynwong

I figured I would try the modern friction for face since I loved the body one.
Similar scent, and application was the same. Go on dry, rub, and then add water.

As soon as I rinsed the product off, I felt as if all the moisture was gone. Skin felt uncomfortably tight and red. I broke out with little red bumps on my cheek. Modern Friction was just too harsh for my face.

So, I won't be using this again. A total waste of money.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2010 8:36:00 PM More reviews by ellemck1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this stuff! For years I couldn't find a single exfoliation treatment that worked on my super sensitive skin. Every single scrub I used would cause huge red sore patches on my skin. I went into Origins for a birthday mini-facial, and told the girl who worked on my face about my issues with exfoliators, and she put this stuff on my face, saying it might help. There's aloe in it, which soothes the skin, and it is very gentle on my skin. At the end, I have beautiful smooth and glowing skin. Yes, if you get it in your eyes or a cut it stings like holy sin, but that's the citrus in it. Just be very careful. I only use it once a week, because more than that and I'm getting the red sore patches. One tub of this has lasted me almost a year, which makes it worth the money spent on it. This is a great product, so happy!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2010 2:32:00 AM More reviews by gorbe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Upon first use, I was sure this was like my favorite product EVER. It made my skin feel so refreshed and my skin definitely looked brighter. Then I used it a few more times and my skin broke out (not sure this is what caused it, but it's possible). Overall, I use it occasionally if my skin feels blah, but I'd probably be wary of using this too much, like as often as an exfoliater. It does feel kind of scratchy if you apply it as it says (on dry skin). Does not bother me, but it might bother some, if so just wet your skin first and then it's basically an exfoliater. Not SURE if I'd repurchase, Probably not since it's not cheap or amazing. But decent.