October 22, 2014 | 1836 users online

Top/Base Coats - Nailtek - Foundation II - Ridge-filling

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2007 6:11:00 AM More reviews by thatmoody

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was just sitting here this morning typing, when all of a sudden I realized that I still had perfect polish on my nails. I KNEW it had been a few days since I did them, but it was actually 4. 4 days without a chip, and my nails are growing like crazy. I borrowed this from my sister in law, but it was a must-have after that. Now I'm sitting here with one coat of the basecoat, one coast of Essie's Power Lunch, and a top coat of the OPI, and my nails still look great.

I agree, the fuzzy texture is weird, but it does seem to really make pollish stick, and it IS very strengthening. I've used Creative's Sticky before and that did work well, but this has the added benefit of making my nails better.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2007 8:37:00 PM More reviews by swirlingblacklily

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My favorite basecoat -- the only one I've found that keeps my nails from staining (even with continuous use of Vamp-type colors). The first coat of color doesn't go on as smoothly or with as much coverage as it does over other basecoats, though a second coat smooths it all out without problem. A little pricey at retail, so I usually buy it from head2toe or 8ty8 for less than half price.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2007 3:14:00 PM More reviews by amber_nussbaum

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've tried several ridge fillers but this is the best! Goes on slightly translucent white and dries to a matte white finish with a slightly rough texture. It really helps the polish grip the nail. I feel like my nails are more hydrated with this product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2006 1:01:00 PM More reviews by shamrocked

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

and more

I can not begin to thump the table enough for this product. I always use this just after OPI Nail-Envy and between these two my nails are lean mean fighting machines, and boy do i abuse them! talking strong and healthy like a tiger's claws /rawr

The great thing that sets this foundation apart is the 'not too thick not too thin' consistancy and the 'shade' - i know i wear a lot of sheer or light colors where a highly pigmented base coat can turn it shades it wasn't meant to be, not so for this bad-boy, keeps your upper layers true while making your nails look salon smooth, go try it for yourself =) continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2006 1:56:00 AM More reviews by violetcobra

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

A holy grail base coat for me. If I could only choose one for all time and eternity it would be this over any other Nailtek products and I love all that I have used.

I agree with the a lot of the reviews posted here. The product is a dull whitish grey in the bottle. It's the same cylindrical clear bottle with cylindrical white cap you may have seen from Nailtek and in the same white box with the little green and orange graphic. It does not have a roller ball. You do have to work the product around before using or it will become extremely gloppy in texture and you'll want to toss it.

I am on my second bottle and my first bottle became hardened and cracked on the sides up at the top when the product got under 1/2 (the marker for 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 are marked clearly on the bottle). I had to throw my first bottle away just a hair under the 1/4 mark.

With my second bottle I did not make this mistake but somewhere between a half and a quarter I started using product thinner, Seche Restore. Still have great results.

When the product is the right consistency it should be very light to swipe on your nail. Use one coat and it should be thick enough while being extremely fluffy. Go slow and make sure it's thin or it could bubble.

It will dry a little grey. I have never touched it voluntarily but recall it did feel a little rough. The explanations I read below of why it's designed to be a little rough make sense.

Ok, so when you use this, let it dry and then use your color. I have found that you should work your color over this as delicately as possible. It is possible to wet this product even after it has dried, and if so, it becomes slippery and not smooth. THis problem has only occured for me when too sharply touching down at a harsh angle at the half moon on a repeated basis. I try to use the three swipe method (one swipe down the center of the nail, one swipe toward the far edge, one swipe down the near edge of the nail) and do my best not to move the formula and dampen it.

The results I get are similar to everyone else's here. I feel my nails are hydrated. I feel the ridges are filled and smooth but the surface of the nails not prone to skidding and sliding nail polish. Also my tips seem to be whiter than many people I know who also do nails after posting nude nail pics. I do sometimes still get peels and sometimes I get cracking but I never get rips or tears anymore! This is the best benefit ever since I used to get a tear literally once a week before using anything.

I would recommend this to anyone. The thing I do that I should say is that I use Nailtek II Hydration Therapy under this product. Normally this is 80% of the time. I find that the Hydration Therapy goes really well with this product. Then I use 2 coats of color and a top coat--usually Seche Vite but sometimes Poshe. I do not get any tip shrinkage due to the strong top coats I use.

I have used one bottle every six months for the last year almost. I highly recommend this and won't be going without. If it gets discontinued I will be extremely.... irritated. So try it and if it sucks after using it for a month toss it in a swap as an extra and blame me.

16 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2006 11:49:00 AM More reviews by Pamann

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Really a superb product! I had already done some homework looking for a good base coat. I began using Creative Stickey for a few weeks which did a good job at anchoring color but stained my nails horribly. My nail technician suggested the Nailtek.
I began using it as my base coat but noticed I was having chipping problems with color. However my nails were remarkably healthy when I removed color(no peeling at all!) and I could see the line of stain growing out. So now I use the Nailtek under any base coat and I get better wear with the color. I also use it if I don't have time for a full mani and I never get a break. Fabulous product! Look online at beauty supply sites for significant price break. In the $2-3 range online or $10 range retail.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2006 2:17:00 AM More reviews by prudence_m

Since being recommended this product by a manicurist whilst overseas I have made some discoveries.
1. For years the thin, crappy nails I put up with could have been fixed.
2. The fact that a manicure will only last 5 minutes on me is NOT due to the quality of the polish, but the quality of the base.
3. These are the best nail products EVER!
4. Nail Tek is difficult to find in Australia. Anyone else had any luck?

Nothing, NOTHING will grip your polish to your nail like this. As the previous reviewer has stated, it dries completely matte, almost a little furry. You may find that your first coat of colour is also a little mattified when it dries, but this disappears with a second coat of colour. I have tried everything out there and nothing is even close to the staying power of this baby. My home manicures would last a day at most before the polish would lift from the top of the nail. Sometimes I could peel off the whole 4 layers of polish (base, 2 colour and top coats) intact, in one nail-shaped piece! Now my manicure lasts 4-5 days before a re-do and for me this feels like forever. If you had normal nails I reckon it would last weeks. It's not the cheapest product around but then, I would have paid much, much more for a result like this. I don't know about its ridge filling qualities because I don't really have ridged nails, but if you have problems with polish staying on, this is for you. The idea that it conditions and strengthens as it wears is a bonus. I have a million nail colours I purchased in the quest for one that doesn't flake off. Now none of them do!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/27/2005 2:43:00 AM More reviews by ilzabet

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

best base ever. :) i use this with the nailtek formula II and my manicures last at least a week. saves me $200 bucks every month and has turned salon manicures into a pampering treat, not a "nessecity" that i can't afford and shouldn't indulge in anyway. :) i love that this has nail strengtheners too...i don't even feel bad putting it directly on my nail plate.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2004 2:05:00 AM More reviews by hellodolly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've tried several ridge fillers but none have met my expectations before. This goes on clear and dries to a matte white finish with a slightly rough texture. The texture is a bit alarming at first, but it actually helps the color nail polish grab on to the nail better. I love this stuff. Naitek makes the only products that have allowed my formerly weak and transparent nails to grow without peeling or breaking.