MAC #187 Duo Fiber Face Brush (Stippling, Skunk Brush)

4.5

HAIRZ

on 12/13/2012 2:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I purchased this brush after hearing the hype about this product. I tried to use it for about a month to allow myself a learning curve and I'm not "thrilled" with this brush. It's an okay brush, but nothing worth spending that much money on.
I primarily used this for liquid foundation (Revlon Colorstay & MUFE HD) and I found the application very streaky. The bristles clump together and it just is too messy and takes too much time. I personally prefer stippling brushes that are dense like the MAC 130 or for a cheaper alternative the Real Techniques Stippling Brush.
If you are trying to decide for brushes, I'd definitely recommend those two before purchasing this 187 because they get the job done without streaks.

However, this is a great brush for applying very pigmented blushes to your cheeks.

on 12/13/2012 12:28:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Great tool for applying thicker type of liquid foundation. I use it every time I need to apply my Skin Base and it creates flawless finish every time. I doesn't waste product which I love. Unfortunately it shades a lot even after I've benn using it for a year, washing it every week with a baby shampoo. Still love it and would repurchase.

on 12/12/2012 11:55:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I just bought this brush and want to tell everyone that it's really an amazing tool to create an airbrushed and polished look to your face.
I couldn't believe the difference this stipple brush makes to creating flawless looking skin. Previously I would use my fingers, flat brush or sponge to put on foundation which wouldn't create the same airbrushed effect at all. It is expensive but so worth it! However, if anyone is not sure how to use it properly, they should read the online tutorials on how to use the brush correctly. You are supposed to gently stipple and not brushing it rigorously to get the right effect.

on 12/11/2012 9:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I purchased this product, feel in love with it after using it twice..but then, I had buyers remorse...$50.50 + tax on a single brush??? OUTRAGEOUS. I returned it. I had a friend who suckered me in to buying Coastal Scent brushes online during their Black Friday event...I was able to add dozens of items in my cart that totalled the cost of my one beloved MAC brush...

Boy did I regret purchasing the Coastal Scents brushes...Over the years, I invested in tons of crummy brushes and the fact that the process was online and I could not see them or feel them bothered me. I'd much rather suck it up and invest in the 187 (which better last me a LIFETIME) LOL.

I will be returning to the MAC store to repurchase tomorrow. The application is FLAWLESS. My face makeup takes two minutes. Quick, easy and feels like skin.

on 11/30/2012 9:06:00 AM

stunning brush, soft yet firm. the first week you have it, it will actually smell like a goat but after a few washes smell went away. im annoyed though mine sheds like crazy?? its gotten better though after a few uses. i want to get the 130 duo for smaller application

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I had never used a make-up brush (and was frankly, quite skeptical) until a friend of mine (who happens to be a MAC make-up artist) recommended this brush.

I actually love it. It really gives me a smooth and even finish and makes my foundation look completely natural, even though I am a make-up amateur.

Although pricey, it's expected to last forever. I wish it had a cover though because I live in quite a dusty climate.

Edit: I do find that it splays a bit too.

on 11/15/2012 10:39:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

This was the 1st Mac brush I got. I don't really wear foundation,but needed a bottle at the time & the Mua suggested this brush,I'm glad she did. On the rare days I do wear foundation I have other brushes I use but I always go back over my fave with the 187,if I don't use it. I luv the buffed,polished look it gives. The reason I put I prob wouldn't purchase this brush again...I've taken really good care of mine so I don't need another one.

on 11/15/2012 7:45:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Though my review might seem negative, it is not - 187 is a fine brush but that's it. I am not head over heels in love with it like everyone else here.
It is something that I really tried to love but it ultimately failed to fulfil my expectations. Maybe I was expecting too much? Reading the reviews I was left with the impression it was something outstanding you can't really live without. It's just not that efficient - I have to spend ages to get the coverage I want and my hand kind of hurts afterwards :( I can achieve a similar look with a paddle brush if I use up the same amount of time. Why? I have acne and nothing can look airbrushed on top of that, that's why :)
I also tried it for blush and bronzer and it works fine. I don't have highly pigmented blushes that work best with it so it was a bit pointless using it.
I have been using it for two years now and this is all I can say - meeeh, it could have been better... I also could have saved some money.

on 10/12/2012 8:04:00 PM

this was my first skunk brush and i totally fell in love, because when it came out it was so new to me. now i don't adore it as much, mainly because it does shed more than stippling brushes in other lines

on 10/12/2012 11:26:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

i hate getting product under my nails so for me makeup brushes are a must, and this one is a dream ;-) it's so soft and luxurious and perfect for making liquid foundation look airbrushed - i couldn't be without it ... which is a great relief because it was ridiculously expensive :D

of all my brushes this is the one i actually look forward to using ;-)

eta: this brush soaks up a LOT of product so expect to be buying foundation more often ;-)

Popular Makeup Brushes