November 27, 2014 | 956 users online

Treatments - Creative Nail Design - Solar Oil

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2009 4:33:00 PM More reviews by krw134

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

During the wintertime, I like give my toenails a break from polish. The only problem is all those months of polish cause my toenails to become very dry and flaky looking - pretty gross. The Nail Board recommended this product and it has worked wonders! After just 2 days my toenails looked about 1,000 times better. I paid around $10 for a nail polish-sized bottle at CVS. I can see the bottle lasting me quite a while, since a little goes a long way. Other reviews have commented about the scent but I don't notice it at all. I would most definitely repurchase when I run out.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2009 9:48:00 AM More reviews by MamaChoobie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is by far the best product I've found. It absorbs very quickly and leaves my nails and cuticles looking well-groomed. I have extremely dry hands and nails, which are getting more so as I age (52). Solar Oil makes them feel moisturized and comfortable. I've had my bottle for over a year, and there's plenty left before I need to re-purchase (you bet I will!).

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2009 12:04:00 AM More reviews by jaqi16

I bought this to help soften my cuticles. It does have a strong smell which is alright. I don't think this works any better than vitamin E, olive oil, or many others so for the price I will not repurchase.

UPDATE: I found myself using this more often. I found it for less money, so I may repurchase. It does seem to last a long time as you only need a little bit.

UPDATE: Just tried the solar balm, and I like that better since it's more portable.

I definitely will not be repurchasing this, for a good cuticle oil try Haken (found at Sally's Beauty), it's less expensive, smells (there are different scents to choose from) and works better.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/19/2008 3:39:00 PM More reviews by ReenBean

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

I think Solar Oil does what it is suppose to do as I notice I do not get hang nails when I apply regularly. However, I donít like how it leaves my fingers oily which means everything I touch gets greasy as it doesnít sink in fast enough for me. Iím using up my current bottle by stashing it in my handbag and applying it when my hands are free and I canít do anything else (i.e. on the tube/train etcÖ) but will not re-purchase when its finished.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2008 1:46:00 PM More reviews by RtiQlitQT

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

First, please read this information mostly derived from hooked-on-nails.com: Brittle, splitting, peeling nails are characterized by a vertical or horizontal splitting or separation of the nail plate layers at the distal (free) edge of the nail plate. In most cases, nail splitting and vertical ridges are characteristic of the natural aging process. This nail problem is also the result of overexposure to water and chemical solvents such as household cleaning solutions. As we age, the nail bed's natural flow of oils and moisture is greatly reduced. This oil and moisture is the cement that holds the nail plate layers together and gives the plate its inherent flexibility. As a preventative measure, or at the first signs of splitting or peeling, recondition the nail plate layers with a good quality cuticle and nail oil that contains JOJOBA and VITAMIN E (TOCOPHERYL ACETATE) as two of its botanical oils. Jojoba oil has a very tiny molecular structure which can penetrate the nail plate surface, open up the layers and draw the Vitamin E in after it. The molecular structure of Vitamin E is too large to penetrate the nail plate layers or the surface layer of the skin without the benefits of Jojoba oil. You should oil your nail plates and surrounding cuticles at least twice daily; more if you have your hands in water a lot. Wear gloves whenever working with household cleaning solutions, and remember: water is considered the 'universal solvent', and is indeed a 'chemical'.

Solar Oil contains both essential ingredients, Jojoba and Vitamin E, and is therefore a great product to use for conditioning and rehydrating your nailplates and cuticles. As others have stated, it comes in a couple of different sized nail polish like bottles with brush caps.

Brush a small amount of it on your cuticles and nailplates and then massage it in, at least twice a day. This is an oil, so it never dries, but it does absorb pretty quickly. If greasiness is a problem for you, wipe gently with some tissue after allowing some time for it to absorb. You don't need much at all, and a small bottle will last a very long time. (Applying twice a day, I've had mine for three months and it still has a third of it left.) As others have stated, it has a strong almond or marzipan scent. I also wish this product came in an unleakable pen form and I also warn that this product should not be stored on its side due to its propensity for leakage. It should be noted that it is a good nail polish drying oil, too.

I do wish this product had some soybean oil in it because of the following information from nsrl.uiuc.edu: "Soybeans contain all three of the macro-nutrients required for good nutrition: complete protein, carbohydrate and fat, as well as vitamins and minerals, including calcium, folic acid and iron. Soybeans are the only common plant food that contain complete protein. Soybean protein provides all the essential amino acids in the amounts needed for human health. The amino acid profile of soy protein is nearly equivalent in quality to meat, milk and egg protein.'' Essie Apricot Cuticle Oil contains soybean oil and Vitamin E but not the essential carrier oil, Jojoba oil.

Personally, I feel that this is not the only product that should be used, but it is the first product that should be applied in a combination regimen. I follow up with Creative Nail Design's Cuticle Eraser since this product contains AHA's that help to soften and break down excess cuticle on the nailplate base and edges, which is a problem for me. If not using Cuticle Eraser, I would suggest following this up with a tiny amount of some other cuticle balm such as Lush Lemony Flutter or Qtica Cuticle Balm.

Ingredients: Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Simmondsia Chinesis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil, Fragrance (Parfum), Tocopheryl Acetate.

30 out of 30 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/11/2008 11:16:00 PM More reviews by hyperhoops

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Solar oil is a great product to use for moisturizing your cuticles. I brush it on and then massage it in. Ever since I started to use it, I haven't gotten any hangnails. I noticed this is easier to work with and absorbs better when the bottle is a little warm. This product also lasts a long time. I apply this 1-2x a day on my tips and toes. I started to use my 1/8oz bottle in August and have use half of the bottle in 2 months.

PACKAGING: It comes in a variety of sizes. I currently own 2 small 1/8oz and a 0.5oz bottle. Both resemble nail polish bottles. Keep the bottle upright because it has a tendency to leak if the bottle is left on its side for awhile. I wish this came in a form pen form so I could use it on the go.

Pros:
- Moisturizes cuticles.
- Smells like almonds
- Light feeling
- Easy to use.

Cons:
- Takes a while to sink in, so don't touch anything immediately after use.
- Oil may leak out if bottle isn't upright.
- Pricey.
- Not good for on the go use b/c it comes in a nail polish bottle.

Ingredients: Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil, Fragrance (Parfum), Tocopheryl Acetate.

The ingredients are very basic and if you search online, there are recipes to imitate this. Basically it's glorified oil.

I don't think I would repurchase once my supply has run out. I find that Qtica cuticle repair balm is easier to use and much more moisturizing.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2008 11:34:00 PM More reviews by BElurve

Love this stuff! It smells awesome and really conditions my cuticles. I apply it to my fingers and toenails about 3 times a day. I love the brush too, it's really soft and applies well. I want to buy bottles and bottles of this stuff!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2008 7:17:00 PM More reviews by ChristinaSF

I use this 1-2 times daily, pushing back on my cuticles as I rub this in.

I do prefer this Solar oil to others I have tried (Sally Hansen's, OPI, Vitamin E, etc.). I also like the strong almond scent.

As with other oils, this one can be messy. It comes in a nail polish bottle, and you swipe on with a brush. After rubbing in, my fingers feel greasy for probably 10 minutes.

This is definitely an HG for me!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2008 11:05:00 PM More reviews by arizonamuaddict

I love this cuticle oil. The smell is nice, it's not too runny or too thick, and it does a good job of protecting cuticles. I use this twice per day-after my shower and before bed, and it really seems to help my cuticles stay moisturized. During the day, I carry Burt's cuticle butter and use that periodically, so these two work really great together.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2008 10:36:00 AM More reviews by fionarocks

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really am happy with this stuff. My nails and cuticles get so dry and unhealthy-looking. (Compounded with the fact that I bite my nails, my digits can become pretty rough-looking.) When that happens, I reach for this. It smells delicious, like marzipan. Once I've put this on, my nails feel nourished and conditioned and look healthy. My only complaint is that it is a bit runny--I wish it would dry quickly. So I rub it in rather than wait forever for it to dry. But all in all, this is a great product.