November 23, 2014 | 904 users online

Skincare - Face - Shiseido - Facial Cotton

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 9/23/2010 9:40:00 PM More reviews by peonia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

These cotton pads are only good in comparison to what's available on the market in North America. They are soft and do not break easily. However, they are too thick and absorbent when instead you want something strong and thin so that you don't go through as much product. They're better than drugstore cotton pads but they still leave cotton fibers on my face sometimes, and my nails all the time when I use them to fix/remove my polish with is a PITA. The price is decent for a huge pack, and each pad is twice the size of normal cotton rounds you can buy. Comes out to the same price as your average drugstore pads. I cut half of them in half for quick fix-ups, and the larger pieces I use to remove face makeup, so 1 pack lasts me 2-3 months. I will not repurchase anymore, and will try to order some Asian drugstore ones online.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2010 5:04:00 PM More reviews by Glee2544

The bomb in cotton pads! The reviewer before me says it all. Definitely worth trying. When I run out, any other cotton pads don't compare and now I prefer these to any quilted cotton pads I used to use. Thank you, Sephora, for stocking these!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2010 1:40:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

- Skip down to 'Final Consensus' for short summary of overall thoughts on product -

What it Claims:
"An extremely soft, gentle way to apply liquid skincare products.
This exclusive Facial Cotton is 100 percent natural and uniquely manufactured for a consistent soft, smooth texture. It allows for maximum absorption and assists in the application of Shiseido softeners. "

Claims - True or False?
1) Soft and gentle: True.
2) Consistent soft, smooth texture: True.
3) Maximum absorption: True.

Packaging:
The only packaging I've come across is the one that comes in a clear plastic wrap. I've not seen any with the box. The packaging for these cotton pads is somewhat annoying in that there is no easy way of storing them, and the plastic is not resealable. The aesthetics are very simple - soft plastic wrapping with the Shiseido logo and the words "facial cotton" written on the front. These would be best transferred to another form of packaging, perhaps something like a box with a lid.

Texture and Construction:
These are definitely far softer than any other cotton pad or cotton ball that I've used. The cotton pad itself is as thick as three drug store cotton pads stacked together. It's very cushion-y, almost padding-like in feel. The sides are not woven like on most cotton pads, and these are square instead of round. I don't mind the shape, but these are definitely far too large to use as-is. On the eye area, I find that I only need a quarter of the pad for both eyes. Half a cotton pad would suffice for the face as well. I will say, these do not seem very strong. You could easily rip them apart with little effort, and depending on the product used with the pad, the top layers can start to tear away and break apart. I've had no issue with fuzz being left behind though (UPDATE: Unless used dry with no product on! Such as removing oil from the skin, it will tear substantially AND leave trails of fuzz!)

Ease of Use:
Once you figure out what size works best for you, these are very easy to use. I simply remove one, cut it in half and apply my product. I like to get them wet with water first, as it will mean that they hold together better and will need less product (UPDATE: no longer use them wet, as my eye m/u remover works better on dry pads, but still no tearing). I find that these are pretty easy to use for eye makeup removal as well. The shape seems to be a bit ill-fitting for the eye area though, but is not a big deal. I find that with this cotton pad, all traces of makeup are removed, even from the lower lash line.

Bang for your Buck:
The Sears.ca website lists that these bags contain 165 cotton pieces for the price of $8.00CAD. These pads cost $9.50USD. The number of cotton pieces may vary from bag to bag, but there are quite a few of these in there. And since I cut them in half and only need to use half of the pad to remove makeup from both eyes, the amount if basically doubled, leaving me with around 230 pieces. This is far greater than how many cotton pads other brands provide, and around the same amount as most cotton balls provided by different brands. While they seem a bit pricey at first, it's quite a good deal when you consider these factors.

Final Consensus:
HG product. If you think all cotton is made alike, think again! These cotton pads are truly luxurious as compared to most drug store brands. If you have sensitive skin and find that most cotton pads and cotton balls leave your skin feeling irritated and itchy, give these pads a try. You may not find them to be any better than what you currently use, but at least you will have a lot of cotton pads to last you quite a while!
- Pros: Does not irritate the skin, can be cut in half to double the amount of pads, decent price for the amount given, extremely soft, half of a cotton pad is sufficient to remove makeup from both eyes, less product is needed on the pad (when used wet - cannot attest to how this would work on dry pads), does not leave fuzz behind, does not drag on the skin.
- Cons: Does not have adequate packaging and must be transferred, the pads are quite delicate, the square shape is a little awkward around the eye area.

Overall Rating: 4.5/5
Price: 3/5
Packaging Quality: 2/5
Would you buy this product again: Yes.

20 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/24/2010 11:30:00 PM More reviews by nycgirl191

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using these cotton pads for about 5 years now-- when I had to look high and low (before Sephora started to stock them). At the time, they were a DREAM. Smooth, no sharp edges, and, most importantly, they didn't leave pieces of fuzz on my face.

As the years have passed, I think their increased distribution/production has affected quality control. Although they are still soft with no hard edges, they have been leaving pieces of cotton fuzz on my face for a year now. (Yes, I am stubborn, but more importantly, have not found a better solution)

I have found it helps to use a lot of toner/lotion to reduce the amount of fuzz left behind. I guess the liquid helps it hold together.

I will keep using them, but only until I find a better cotton pad. I think I will try Chanel.

For the price-- it is expensive, but the cheap cotton pads are really terrible (once I actually got a 'paper cut' on my cheek with the edge of a round one!!) and drink product, so I do recommend these still.

Oh, I did try the Cle de Peau cotton pads, which are slightly better (but not totally fuzz-free). However, they are also unnecessarily (I think) bigger, which make them not so economical. So I'm passing on those.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2010 3:03:00 AM More reviews by Vaniessa

definitely the best cotton pad I've ever used! It's so soft and gentle on the skin, plus it doesnt suck out all the product like some other product! Definitely a must-buy!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2010 3:13:00 AM More reviews by LucyFaye

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I remember the first time I bought these...I was just trying to reach the spending requirement for a gift with purchase. Well, I’ve been using them ever since and it must have been at least four years. They’re $8 CAD but they don’t even seem like a splurge to me because they’re so much better than anything else around. I use less product with these and they’re so gentle on my skin. Totally worth it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2010 9:31:00 AM More reviews by euroasian

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

The best cotton pads, ever. You really get what you pay for. They are so soft and hold their shape so well. They also never have that one tiny, tiny spot that is rough or scratchy (for those who have tried the cheaper ones, you know what I mean). One of Shiseido's best products.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2010 9:20:00 AM More reviews by JessieWW

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

i have very sensitive skin (rosacea, dermatitis) that even flames with tap water, and these cotton pads are the softest, least irritating that I've found. For me, the regular "no name" cotton balls/pads are horrendous--they tend to have hard little specks of things still in them--very irritating. A step up is the Swisspers brand. They tend to be softer, and the quilted Swisspers cottonpad is quite decent for removing difficult makeup and sunscreen. However, for days that you just need soft and not irritating, the Shiseido cotton is it--they are not quilted and are softer with less "drag" on your skin.

Also good: if I just want to leave something on my face for awhile--such as chamomile tea to calm it--I can soak a Shiseido pad in it and apply to my face--the pad is so thin and light it will lie on my face without falling off quickly as long as I'm not moving around.

Cons: The downside to not being quilted: these pads DO tend to "squash up" and they are thin. I need to use more to cleanse my face than with other products.

Summary: These pads are great for very specific purposes; but they are not "heavy duty" cleansing pads. If you don't need the softness and lack of drag, a different product might be better for you. For me, they're lifesavers and well worth the $$.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2010 1:52:00 PM More reviews by CrystalCherry

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

After I started to use this cotton pads, I can never switch to anything else. It is so soft and nice and feels amazing on your skin. I have really sensitive eye area, when I use drugstore cottom pads to remove eye makup, my eyes gets red and painful. But I never had this problem with the shiseido cottom pads. It is definitely a great pick, especially for people who have sensitive skin like me. However, it is pretty pricy.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2010 1:28:00 AM More reviews by riverwalk888

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I will never use anything else again, this stuff is divine. Like the reviewers already said, it's not really so expensive when you find out how far it goes and how much product it spares. I got tired of the drug store cotton pads disintegrating in use. These pads make me feel like a star. I hardly had to use any product and they can be cut smaller or flipped around to use more areas. They are luxury. I don't think they will end up being more expensive in the long run. I just returned some cheap ones to Walgreens because they literally disintegrated in my hand before I even got to my face with it with lotion on it. (Some organic brand). I tried Kroger brand squares yesterday, cheaper than ever. These S. squares are a luxury I will make sure I never have to do without. I love them. I hardly used a drop or two of liquid on them instead of a capful. Fantastic. They are bigger rectangles than you get at the drug store, too. They almost feel like felt and are as thick, and so very soft, soft and thick and larger. Divine.