October 23, 2014 | 1533 users online

Skincare - Face - Philosophy - When Hope Is Not Enough - Serum

rated 4 of 5 on 11/26/2007 2:34:00 PM More reviews by nicolley77

i use this as part of the makeup optional kit. i can't ever tell if serum does anything, but used as part of the set, i guess it works pretty well. anyhow i can't NOT use this anymore because i'm so used to it, so i guess maybe i'm addicted!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/26/2007 6:29:00 AM More reviews by lisaorr2

i really wanted to like this serum as I'm a big fan of their microdelivery face wash and hope in a jar moisturiser. I have very acne prone skin and both of these products worked wonders for my skin and gave me a nice glow! i keep rying the serum as I want it to work but everytime i use it it breaks me out around my jaw line ad seem to give me black heads so I think i'm going to have to give it up! the only reason i gave it 2 lipssticks is that it did seem to firm my skin. So on with the search again for a good serum? any recommendations??

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2007 1:02:00 AM More reviews by hwywmn76

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I like it, it's pretty inexpensive and I have nicer skin from using it, usually at nighttime but sometimes for day use as well.

Layers nicely with other products, and absolutley firmed up my face & neck and keeps the hyperpigmentation under control for now. I was using this all last year then didn't repurchase for a few months and found that I really missed it.

The eye dropper thing bugged me at first, but now I'm fine with it, though would prefer a sturdy plastic version ( I'm clumsy) . No smell, and sinks in pretty quicky, by the time I brush my teeth , it's safe to put on my cream.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/8/2007 10:21:00 PM More reviews by jaybee8

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I received this as part of the Makeup Optional skincare set. I was already using the Purity cleanser, HIAJ, and the Microdelivery peel, so I thought this product wasn't going to make a lot of difference, as I've never really noticed a huge difference in my skin when using a serum. I've been using this for a few weeks, and I'm surprised at the difference this makes. My sensitive, rosacea skin is looking smoother and seems a little less reactive. The scent reminds me of Vitabath, a scent I really enjoy. A surprisingly effective product!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2007 12:11:00 AM More reviews by DDmonkey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Not for me. Broke me out in cystic acne.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2007 11:57:00 AM More reviews by JayBay714

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I like the product, hate the packaging. I find droppers to be really annoying. My skin feels better having used this though, so I would buy again. I buy the dry sensitive KIT though, and it comes in it so I may as well use it!! I enjoy Philosphy though, I think they make nice products.

UPDATE-- I am giving this a 4. I'm liking this more now. I stopped using it for awhile and I noticed my face seemed duller. I also like the fact that it contains a mild hair retardant-- now I also apply some along my jawline to keep those stray hairs away!! It helps a little, I think. It is really light anf slightly moisturizing, you definitely still need a moisturizer.... at least I do. I am dry and I've had no probs with breakouts or redness. I don't notice a smell.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2007 7:30:00 PM More reviews by alfonsochan

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVE THIS SERUM! I apply it daily prior to my facial spf lotion & I notice that my skin looks smoother & tighter. I notice that people kept mentioning the scent, but it doesn't bother me & it fades after it dries. Some other antioxidant serums made me breakout, this one hasn't.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2007 8:09:00 PM More reviews by PinkLily

I have been using the Makeup Optional Kit for Congested Skin, and this is part of it.

After using Purity Made Simple (recommend!), I apply a few drops of When Hope is not Enough to my face and neck. It comes packaged in a clinical-looking bottle with a dropper in the cap.

I don't know if it is the whole kit that makes my skin feel great, or what, but whatever, this is part of the kit. And my skin feels great!

It did smell a little in the bottle, but the scent doesn't stay on your skin for long.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2007 1:53:00 PM More reviews by Girlfit

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I received this in a swap and I have been using it 1x/day for a week now. I am used to using high potency vitamin C serums and thought I would give this a try for comparison.

I haven't noticed any breaking out as some other have remarked. I did get a couple bigger zits on my jaw line after I had started using it but I think that was more of a coincidence. It was right around my period so I'm sure those zits were caused by hormones not the serum.

So far, I'm just "eh" about it. I will use the product all the way through as I don't hate it THAT much, but I wouldn't recommend it or buy it.

My biggest complaints are of course, the smell and the dropper bottle. I wish the serum was in a pump instead of the dropper as it would be more user friendly. The smell is awful. It does dissipate but I think people are going to be turned off by using a product if it smells offensive to them, no matter how long the scent lingers. I actually hold my breath while applying it. Its not as bad as the Perricone serums, but I feel like Perricone's serums are more likely to do more for your skin so I would be more likely to tolerate the scent from those.

When I finish this bottle, I'll be going back to my standard Vitamin C serum during the day.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2007 3:36:00 PM More reviews by lstrue

So far, I am a fan of this serum. Aside from the stinky smell (which isn't too strong and dissipates quickly) it is really nice. It soaks in quickly without being sticky or greasy. It is not oily at all. When I first used it, I put way too much on and it started to peel off my skin. A little does go a long way, and if you don't apply too much it won't peel. I will keep you updated, but so far it has left my dehydrated combo skin bright and clear.