Ivory Soap

3.8

Price: $

Price: $

Ingredients: SODIUM TALLOWATE AND/OR SODIUM PALMATE, WATER, SODIUM COCOATE AND/OR SODIUM PALM KERNELATE, GLYCERIN, SODIUM CHLORIDE, FRAGRANCE, COCONUT ACID*, PALM KERNEL ACID*, TALLOW ACID*, PALM ACID*, TETRASODIUM EDTA.

The worst soap I've ever used! You would think Ivory would gently cleanse your skin because of its white (and therefore innocent) packaging, and its slogan "Simply Ivory."

The result of using this soap on my hands was red itchy patches! Horrible. The fragrance is horrible too.

Jergens is better by far.

*CONTAINS ONE OR MORE OF THESE INGREDIENTS.
(The ingredients don't sound simple to me what with the and/or's and the asterisks.)

on 1/7/2008 7:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

When my skin began to really break out on my chin, temple hairline and forehead, I tried all I could think of (age 39 with usually rare breakouts); however, the dryness is harsh and I can't find a moisturizer that will sink in without making my skin feel really odd (dry in the middle and too much on the chin and foreheard hence what is it doing to my skin?). I do like the classic fragrance though but since it competes with the selected perfume of the day, even that's a bit much.

I really, really wanted to like this soap...but my experience with it has not been great. I liked that it cleaned my face thoroughly, but it dried out my skin really badly. It also accentuated alot of lines which were not there previously-thus my face was so tight and dry. The scent did not please me either. I much prefer Dove so I will stick with that.

on 12/23/2007 1:53:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

i've been buying this stuff on and off for the past 5 years--i've ALWAYS got a few bars of this soap on hand. i'd say that this is one of the best soaps on the market. i stray and use skin-softening or moisturizing bar soaps, vegan soaps, and all natural liquid soaps... and i always come back to this. it's a soap that does what soap is supposed to do--clean.

what i love about this soap is that it cleans the surface of the skin ONLY. i'll use a mild soap like Dove unscented or Johnson's baby soap... and my skin will be soft... but won't feel very clean and it will itch if i don't shower every single day (obviously to reintroduce moisture to the skin). this is even AFTER using one of the many rich lotions or creams that i have in my arsenal.

i scrub my skin down with this and a washcloth... and yeah... my skin will feel like it's going to get very dry, but after moisturizing my skin, i don't have to shower again until i'm dirty--not because i'm itchy.

the reason i use this on and off is because during the summer, i like to tan and this simply isn't strong enough to remove all the tanning oil from my body. otherwise, i'd use this year round. it's cheap, effective, and it's been around for 125 years.

on 12/2/2007 2:42:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I looooove Ivory soap. I love the "classic" scent. I love that I can use this everyday in the shower and I don't develop rashes all over my arms. and I love that in a pinch I can use this on my dry, sensitive, acne-prone skin w/o totally f'ing it up. on top of that it's cheap! and it floats!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I used to use Ivory soap, I loved the smell and I thought it was a gentle soap. That was before a dermatologist told me that this stuff strips a lot of the natural oils on your skin (and it was contributing to my excema) she recommended Dove bar soap and I noticed the difference in how my skin felt right away. This soap is probably fine if you don't have any issues with dry skin, but this isn't as gentle a soap as it likes to make itself out to be.

on 11/2/2007 9:23:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This soap just reminds me of staying at my Grandma's house when I was little! She swore by Ivory soap and vinegar & baking soda to scrub the bathroom so everything at her house always smelled so fresh and clean without being all perfumey and chemical smelling. This soap is lovely for my skin in the summer when I don't need to use much moisturizer, but in the winter it's a tad drying so I switch to a Dove bar or a moisturizing body wash. It cleans very well though, and leaves my skin smelling fresh without clashing with my perfume. I also use it to wash my male dog as he's allergic to a lot of different dog shampoos, but Ivory doesn't irritate his skin. Plus, it's super-cheap and available at just about any dollar store, grocery store, or Kmart/Walmart, so I always have a few extra bars stashed in my linen closet.

on 10/20/2007 3:51:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

This soap strips the skin of all it's oils so I never use it on my face or body BUT it cleans clothes superbly because it's so strong.. I use it because it works superbly for washing clothes/dishrags ets, especially those armpit stains where the smell wont go away. Just soak for an hour and wash. It is a definite all around household staple for cleaning anything well and works just as well as Bicarbonate of Soda at getting stains/smells out of anything. If you work at a particularly dirty greasy job also it's excellent for hand washing. Otherwise for regular use unless you have the greasiest skin in the world do not use. It's way too stripping.....
2013 October. What happened? The no fragrance had been replaced with the faint small of a perspiring old person who still washes with a rag and a pail of water. Eew! Maybe the manufacturer thought that no one would notice. I notice. The smell is so noticeable to my hound-like sense of smell that I could smell it in the soap dish as soon as I entered the bathroom. I threw it out.

on 9/26/2007 8:36:00 PM

It may be 99 44/100% pure, but whatever that 56/100% that ISN"T pure is, I am allergic to. I used this only one time and ended up in ER with an allergic reaction so bad that I couldn't get my contacts out of my eyes, my eyes were that swollen shut. I honestly wouldn't recommend anyone using this on their face....or their body for that matter. It is honestly one of the worst products I have ever used in my life.

on 9/21/2007 8:35:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

Omg, I've been using ivory since FOREVER. Gosh back in the day I use to wash my face with ivory soap! Ew I could never imagine doing that now! Its way too drying. I've had oily acne prone skin for so long that I use to severly dry my skin out. If only I knew what I know now back then. I wish I could turn back time and not have used ivory on my face, it probly did more harm than good. But on a positive note I do use this for my body. My parents have been buying this for so long and so I just use it. It make me feel nice and clean. So, the rating is 1 for the face. 3 for the body. I like how its not perfumy.

Popular Gels/Soaps