November 23, 2014 | 1017 users online

Liquid - Shiseido - Sun Protection Liquid Foundation SPF 42 PA+++ [DISCONTINUED & REFORMULATED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2012 2:03:00 PM More reviews by camilka

It's like nothing I've ever tried before. Dior Forever used to be my favourite that beat every other foundation, but it's nothing compared to this.

Reference: I am NC20 in MAC, Ivory in Dior Forever and Milk in Make up Store matt foundation. I am SP30 in this foundation and it's definetely for the yellow undertoned ones. Perfect match.

It does not look like I'm wearing foundation and if i blush/laugh/run, the flush shows through the foundation.

To get a lasting make up before, I used to wear Mac prep + prime face protect on nose (I'm super oliy there), then Dior Forever or mac studio sculpt and then maype a little loose powder.
    Now I am only wearing this. No primer, powder, nada.
    Sometimes after application (with fingers) I wet my hands and work some water into it. Sounds a bit strange, huh? But it actually makes it look super good.

The consistency is very runny and I like that. It sticks to you like glue, you need an oil remover. A little goes a long way.
    It's not just a summer foundation. I am wearing this in winter coat weather in Sweden and it looks just great.

And yes, I would call this HG. Worth every damn penny.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/21/2012 4:35:00 AM More reviews by c00kie22

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I browse MUA often but have never really purchased anything worth reviewing. This product has me going WOW. I wish I could give it a 4.5 because that's closer to what I think this product is rated.

A bit of context: I have very oily skin...very oily...like enough oil to gas my car every day. I moisturize with jojoba oil and exfoliate with an AHA every other day. I use milk of magnesia and monistat chafing gel as primers and I used to use BB cream as my daily foundation and I STILL get pretty oily plus the BB cream just kinda melted away. My face has a few hyperpigmentation scarring from past acne and once in a while a zit here and there. My skin tone is a bit uneven and my face is definitely a bit darker than my neck/chest. Other than that, I don't really need heavy coverage.

I bought SP40 & SP60 to mix together since I wanted it to match my neck/chest. It oxidizes and matches my skin perfectly. I've had it on for 7 hours now and it has stayed put! Not only has it not budged, but I didn't get oily! It still looks nice and smooth with a dewy finish which is EXACTLY what I wanted in a foundation. It blended so perfectly that it looks just like my skin. The only grip I have is that it doesn't really cover my rare zit or my couple of dark spots extremely well but that's what concealer is for! To top it off, you get SPF42 to protect your skin.

I still can't believe that I'm wearing liquid foundation because I really thought all the things that I wanted in one foundation was a pipe dream. I can finally say, my quest for my HG foundation is finally over. All thanks to this community!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2012 4:32:00 AM More reviews by pixieperfect

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I actually like the packaging very much, less wastage than a pump bottle and this squeeze-type packaging is totally hygienic. No bulky cap or cover in a shiny gold which to me is so redundant. Great for travels.

Love its consistency and effective coverage. On lazy days I just dab a teeny bit on areas that need evening out ie around the nose, mouth and eyes - mind you this foundation does NOT crease when applied on dryer areas like under eyes. Having said I routinely apply sunscreen as the last step of my skin care so the SPF in this stuff is added protection.

Unfortunately when I went to the Shiseido counter yesterday I was told that this liquid foundation is to be discontinued. It's not even on display anymore and I had to ask for it. I live in Singapore and this foundation costs a whopping SGD$64! However I find it's worth the price, especially if you'd replace this with your sunscreen too.

For colour reference I am a MAC NC25-30 and I use SP50 for this Shiseido foundation. Might want to stock up before it all runs out...

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2012 10:33:00 PM More reviews by starbuck65

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

After buying the Chanel Perfection Lumiere, this is the only foundation I wanted to try. I was a little hesitant as most people find this matte...it's really not and I have dry skin. It looks ABSOLUTELY AMAZING in broad daylight/direct sunlight...even 3 layers worth (I've been experimenting). The coverage is really nice, medium-ish but buildable to full but it doesn't look heavy or masky.
    Application: I've read and watched the videos.. It is like applying tineted water, it's very wateery yet has great coverage.The best way to apply for me and to make it last until it's washed off is to apply by pressing it in with my fingers, not rubbing, and then going over it with a sponge, pressing the sponge which also dabs off any additional product so it doesn't leave it cakey. I have layered and layered and layered this foundation and it never looks bad. I've set it with powder, I've not set it...it looks good both ways. It goes on semi-matte but settles into what looks like skin. It is really a beautiful foundation. I LOVE IT! I wore it on a poker run the first time I tried it, on the back of a motorcycle, no face shield, we rode more than 10 hours that day. It didn't budge. It looked as good 15 hours later as it did freshly applied although I do have to blot once during the day but it didn't remove any foundation and it didn't cake up around my nose at all. Also, I do prefer this over a primer, not for lasting power because this foundtion isn't going anywhere...just a personal preference.
    Color selection: Not the best but considering it's Japanese and maybe they just don't cater to every skin tone? I don't know. I'm roughly an NW25-NW30 in summer, Chanel Perfection Lumiere in BR 52 which is the darkest of the BR and too light when I'm self-tanning so in this, and I've tried it several ways, is to apply SP60 and then go over it with SP70 rather than mix them. I'm positive I'll wear SP70 alone in the summer when I'm really self-tanning consistently but SP70 is the darkest shade. I imagine it would work with slightly darker skin tones as well.
    Removing at night: Cleansing oil or Philosophy's Purity, clarisonic...It's a heavy duty sunscreen with a tint. Sunscreen is hard to remove, this is no exception but I don't mind at all. I know there have been numerous complaints about this breaking people out, it does have to be removed properly at night. It is a UVA/UVB (PA+++ for UVA), on the bike, I got absolutely ZERO color, no tan, no burn. Other days I've used it over their SPF60 sunscreen which is also very watery, which I love, and they work very well together. Some suncreens can be a little thick or greasy, Shiseido's is not.
    Now I have my perfect color match for winter in Chanel, my perfect summer foundation in Shiseido! I'm SO happy!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2012 6:02:00 AM More reviews by staraya

This has become my HG foundation. It looks like skin but better! I always get complimented on how nice my skin looks, they don't even think I have makeup on when I'm wearing this. It last longer then MUFE HD and Chanel Vital Lumiere Aqua; it gives the same effect but better, less dewy more natural looking. I would say to exfoliate and moisturizer if you have dryer skin it clings a bit to that. I love the fact that it has SPF in it already, another step in my skincare that I can skip when I use this. Even thought it has SPF I find that it looks amazing in pictures regardless.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/3/2012 2:46:00 PM More reviews by gvgirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really wanted to like this foundation, unfortunately it was not the best on my slightly dry skin. While it did provide a lovely natural matte finish, it also clung to a few dry areas and acccentuated them slightly. It has a very liquidy texture which blends well on the skin and provides very good medium to full coverage. It also has the added bonus of a high, physical sunblock which would be perfect for summer as long as you are not planning to have photos taken. I got the lightest shade, sp10, and it was too dark and orange toned for me. For reference, the best shade match I have found is MUFE HD 110 pink porcelain or l'oreal true match c1. I think this would work well for ladies with normal to oily skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2012 10:07:00 PM More reviews by cavvie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Does not budge! Great foundation. Very light yet buildable to fuller coverage foundation. I love it has spf in it. The range of colors is terrible, so far the only real downside to this product, but luckily I'm in it. The definitely need to add more shades. Very happy with this foundation and I will be buying it in the future.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2012 6:17:00 PM More reviews by saphiric

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Other

HG for life!!! I have a ton of foundations and powders on my makeup shelf but I always reach for this one, here's a breakdown :

Shade: 4/5
    Goes from Sp10 (lightest) to Sp70 (darkest). The range is a little limited and very similar to one another but I like it because I can get away with wearing 1-2 ranges above & below my true match. I wear sp50 (light medium) but can also wear sp60 (medium) and probably sp40 as well.

Packaging: 5/5
    I've always been a fan of the famous chic, sleek and minimalistic blue shiseido packaging. This foundation has a very sanitary dropper opening so you can squeeze just the right amount of product out without spilling any extra out.

Application: 5/5
    Absolutely my favorite application of all the foundations I've tried. It goes on like butter and covers immediately all blemishes and flaws. It's medium coverage that can be build up more to full coverage. I love this formula because it only takes me about 15 seconds to apply to my entire face using my fingers. Also dries almost instantly (no wait time for setting with powder!)

Sunscreen protection: 5/5
    Probably has the highest spf I've seen in a foundation, though I still prefer to wear a sunscreen underneath this

Lasting factor: 5/5

I once went on an overnight flight wearing this and it lasted through the night to the next morning! (4pm to ~8am the next day) Little to no smudges or fading whatsoever. I was floored :o

Comedogenic factor:

I have acne-prone skin and this has not broken me out since I had started using it last March

Bottom Line: The price is on the medium-high range for foundation ($34) but this is soo worth it and I'll definitely keep restocking and hope they never discontinue this product!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/16/2012 10:23:00 AM More reviews by jimandpam87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Initially, I had VERY high expectations for this foundation. I usually do a pretty decent amount of research before purchasing a foundation, especially a more expensive one. Pretty much every review I found on youtube (which is where I get most of my research) was glowing. Everyone said it lasted all day, never got oily, great coverage, etc. I needed a summer foundation to replace the Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua that's a tad oily for more humid weather, so I figured I'd try this one. I'm definitely returning it.

My main complaint of this foundation is that it broke me out horribly. I have pretty acne-prone skin but it has been clear for a while with all the treatments I have been using. I didn't think such a high-end product would break me out. Maybe it's all the SPF in it? I'm sure many people would not have the reaction I did, but if you have acne-prone or sensitive skin, I would get a sample of this before purchasing. After just 1-2 uses, I had painful cystic acne all over my chin, which I haven't had in years. After stopping use of the foundation, it went away.

Another complaint is that it didn't even stay matte for very long. I did enjoy the coverage and the finish when I initially applied it. However, after just a couple of hours my skin looked very oily and felt really gross and cakey. I just wanted to take it off. I had to blot as much as when i use my Chanel foundation, which doesn't even claim to be long-wearing or matte. By the way, my skin is combination, not full-fledged oily. I tried using the foundation with and without a primer, and it didn't really matter either way.

Overall, I found the foundation just didn't do what it claimed to do, other than protect my skin from the sun. That plus the fact that my skin reacted horribly to it will lead me to get my money back.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2012 9:47:00 AM More reviews by msmarielliejellie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I have wanted to try this foundation for the longest time, and for some reason after researching and loving the rave reviews people have said about this product. But for the longest time, I kept chickening out everytime I go to the counter and swatching it because I was afraid that it wasn't worth all that money for just 30ml.
    A few weeks ago, I finally sucked it up and bought this in SP50. Where I'm from, this is the darkest shade, but I heard that in other places, the shade range goes all up to SP70. I wasn't disappointed but this did come tad bit too light on my skin, considering that I'm somewhere between an NC25-30 on MAC foundations.
    Now off to the product. You might think that you get a small amount of product given the price of this baby, but I tell you, not only is it good quality, and long lasting (no touch ups needed throughout the day), but it gives you medium to buildable full coverage which can be sheered out by moisturizer or in my case a darker foundation.
    I actually just wore this the whole day (7am-12am) and it looked as pristine as the moment I put it on that morning. Even though I had relatively dry skin, the hot and humid weather and my busy and hectic 17-hour days would force me to touch up even with just a translucent powder, but baby not with this foundation. It is budgeproof as it says it is, and the SPF (in Asia it's SPF43 PA+++, but I find it differs on location and how they test their SPFs) doesn't hurt, even though I put SPF prior to putting this on as well.
    Speaking of SPFs I know this wouldn't photograph as well, but since I also put SPF all over my body, it doesn't look noticeable and ghostly when I take photos with this on, but to each their own.
    It's quite early to crown this as my HG foundation, but who cares, it has out performed all of my other foundations, even more than the other higher end brands that cost more than this. I love this and I guess that being said, this is an HG for me now.