LUSH Retread

3.5

on 5/27/2009 12:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

edited: i took a lippie off bc hubby has complained about the smell. so i ended up returning it. this is a very nice conditoner. i really like the scent. and it left my hair very soft. and the smell lingered on my hair afterwards.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I looove this conditioner. It smells amazing, and makes my hair feel super soft. Love it! A little goes a long way for me, and while I don't like that I have to scoop out whatever I use from the tub, I love it enough to rebuy. I even use it to shave with, and it leaves my legs softer than ever.

on 3/19/2009 5:57:00 PM

Quite possibly one of the best conditioners I've ever tried. My hair is thick and prone to split ends and Retread made it look and feel like I'd just stepped out of the salon. It smooths and shines my somewhat coarse hair brilliantly, without sacrificing tautness and manageability. I'd definitely repurchase.

It has a watermelony scent and a yogurt-like consistency - I believe yogurt is one of the ingredients so it's not vegan-friendly. My only gripe is with the packaging design - it comes in a wide-topped pot from which you scoop out the product with your fingers, and I'm not sure about the hygiene implications. Maybe there should be a bottle or pump version instead.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I tested this along with another Lush shampoo. The SA didn't seem excited about the product, and she was right. The smell, while I liked it in the shop and I liked it in the shower, stayed strong and I could smell it the next day quite distinctly. I didn't like the smell after drying - kind of like an antique store - must be a polish/old furniture type of smell. I've smelt that before with Olay Quench and I stopped using that product. Anyway, as for conditioning, I had to use a lot and I never got the slipperiness I need to get a comb through my hair. My hair still felt pretty parched while I was massaging it in and after I rinsed it out. It just didn't feel calm. The next day, my hair still felt dry and crunchy. To me, a good conditioner needs to work right away, or forget it. So, this is a no go for me. And I don't want the smell competing with my expensive perfumes!

on 11/18/2008 1:44:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

Ok, I marked this product as 'I wouldn't buy again', but that's because now I don't need to. This stuff totally tamed my crazy, out of control, curly, frizzy hair. I started out having to use quite a bit, but quickly downgraded to smaller and smaller portions. Now my hair is smooth and well conditioned, I don't even need to use this anymore! Now I use Jungle, which I actually prefer the smell of. I've passed this onto my mum who has very similar hair to mine, but I would use this as a monthly treatment or if my hair was super dry or something.
UPDATE!: My mother is currently obsessed with this. She thinks it makes her scalp feel super cool, which is a very good thing considering we are in Australia, it's summer and she gets heat flushes. Also, her hair looks the best it has in years, if ever.

on 10/6/2008 9:47:00 AM

My friend gave me a generous sample of this, and I have to say I like it overall. I can't say it's my favorite just yet... I'll have to use it a few more times before I make up my mind, but I do like it and will be purchasing a full sized for myself. I think I over did it with how much I used, but I didn't feel like my hair had anything on it. However, once I got out of the shower, and combed my hair, it was really soft, and conditioned. I was surprised since I couldn't feel anything while in the shower. I didn't care for the smell, but luckily, since I used it with Big, Big's scent overpowered it, and that's the scent that stayed in my hair. Overall, it's a nice conditioner, and I will be purchasing it so I can decided whether I truly love it or not. My hair does look great, shiny, and no dry ends, so it does do a good job!

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

A lot of people can't get into the smell of this stuff. Heck, even I couldn't get into it upon first whiff of the tub. But I decided to try it anyway, and BOY am I glad I did! My hair is super soft and smooth and shiny, and the smell definitely changed into something lovely (I used it with Ibiza Party Shampoo). The container is pretty small, which is really the only thing I would change about the product. Fortunately, a little bit goes a long way! I have coarse, wavy, color-damaged hair, and a little finger-scoop of this stuff made it perfect again!

on 9/1/2008 10:19:00 AM

I loovvvve it :)
I am in love with the scent. It makes my hair shiny and straight. But i have to say that you shouldn't use it so much if you have thiny, weak hair.

Love this! Generally, I use this as an everyday conditioner, or after I get back from the beach (which...as much as I'm at the beach, this stuff goes pretty fast). My hair is super dry, and coloring it hasn't moisturized or improved it in any way, shape or form (new moisturizing formulas, my a$$!). This makes my hair soft and manageable, and on days where I don't have anything going on after school, I go to the gym directly after and work out, then put retread on in the shower and leave it on all afternoon and evening, then rinse it out before I go to bed.

The herbal scent lasts for awhile, and since I go to a hippie school with hippie boys, they just can't get enough of the hippie herbal scent of retread in my hair. I've actually turned around to discover a guy leaning over and sniffing my hair (which was creepy, but gratifying).

I can see how people wouldn't like the scent of it, I didn't like it at first either. It's a bit of an acquired smell, and it especially goes well with Dolce & Gabbanna Light Blue perfume.

Highly recommended.

on 3/15/2008 1:50:00 AM

My hair is absolutely fried from too much coloring and blow drying. I've been using Retread for about a week along with the Trichomania shampoo, and I've noticed a huge difference in the way my hair looks and feels. It's nice and soft and ridiculously shiny. I don't think my hair has ever been shiny. :P

That said, there IS an adjustment period. The first few times I used this, it left my hair really tangly, but that passed quickly enough. I'd imagine that it depends on the types of products/chemicals/whatever you've been using on hair prior to using this. The only other drawback to Retread is that it's just a bit too heavy for everyday use. Well, that and the price, too.

Top Rated LUSH Products