September 21, 2014 | 1285 users online

Cleansers - Noxzema - Original Skin Cream

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2012 10:27:00 AM More reviews by zero347

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have been using this in combination with Pro Activ and prescription products such as Differin for more than 10 years to keep cystic acne in check. (Yes, unfortunately it IS possibly to have wrinkles AND acne at the same time....) I alternate this cleanser with the acne one to prevent my skin from getting too dry from the treatments. I now never get more than the occasional flare up when I try a new makeup product that does not agree with my skin.

It's dirt cheap. It's been around forever. It's worth a try if you are looking for a cleanser.

1/14/14 Update: I have now been using this exclusively for a few months due to my skin becoming drier. Still no breakouts from this and it does not cause the flakies around my nose and mouth that acne cleansers in general have been for me lately. It removes my makeup better than most cleansers (I have never used a separate makeup remover) and doesn't irritate my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2012 12:51:00 AM More reviews by Smont

I like this product a lot! It does burn a little bit when you put it on your face but it is a good - cleaning burn. It makes my skin feel incredibly smooth and wonderful afterwards. It is very inexpensive and I love the texture of it.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 11/12/2012 10:55:00 PM More reviews by bebedejuin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have started wearing Revlon Colorstay foundation and my research revealed one needs an oil based cleanser to fully remove long-wearing makeup. I came close to trying the OCM but backed out after reading breakout horror stories. The same applied for Ponds cold cream. Noxzema seemed to have the most consistent positive reviews so here I am. This stuff makes washing my face so FUN! I thoroughly enjoy feeling the cream melt into my skin. I rub it in as directed and either let it sit a few minutes like a mask or go ahead and tissue it off, checking the tissue for signs that it's removing my foundation. Then I dampen a washcloth and lightly exfoliate then rinse. I have been using it for a week and already see a marked decrease in the number of blackheads on my face. The formula IS a little drying to my t-zone but I use my new Lancome Tonique Douceur toner and it smoothes everything out. One of my friends even told me my skin looks exceptionally smooth now! She's a beauty buff so that was high praise! Also I have mild psoriasis on my forehead and Noxzema does not irritate it.

Edit 1/12/14: taking this down to 2 lippies because I ended up developing breakouts from this as it was really just too harsh on my skin. I realized cleansing oils are much better for me. Also, not a fan of tub packaging.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2012 10:33:00 PM More reviews by starlamelissa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Noxema should be awful, should irrtate, should flat out suck. But it doesnt. My skin is sensitve, and I really have a tough time with alot of products. Noxema is one that doesnt bug my skin. The texture of it is unique and the smell is distinctive.

I use it like a cold cream and tissue it off sometimes, and I use it like a cleanser and wash it off sometimes.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2012 5:22:00 AM More reviews by pwncahontas

why did i stop using this stuff? was using purity by philosophy but that's expensive, wanted to try something different and saw the familiar package and was like, omg noxema! so i bought it and wow my face feels clean! my skin can be sensitive but not with this stuff. i love the familiar tingle and smell, makes me feel like i'm a teen again lol. i use this and finish it with some nivea and my skin feels amazing

AND i got my fiance using this and he has a problem with large pores that are hard to clean but for the first time ever, his face is soft and no gunk in his pores, hope they shrink in time now that his skin can breathe

rated 3 of 5 on 9/6/2012 1:21:00 PM More reviews by kabanger

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

For the price, you get a ton of product. It really is cleansing and you only need a little bit, but even the one for dry skin is a bit drying. That's probably the only bad part and the smell is pretty strong. Other than that I would say its a good buy. I usually have to use a moisturizer afterwards because it makes my skin tight. It really does work well if you've got acne to dry it up quick.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2012 12:46:00 PM More reviews by Katzie105

I'm going to give this a 4star rating for now, sometimes things work great in the beginning and wear off shortly thereafter. For now, I think it's working pretty nicely.

I was a bit skeptical of it because my face is just weird. I would classify it as "combination" but it's weird combination. I have super oily T-zone. So I have clogged pores on my nose, and chin, sometimes on the side of my face. And at the SAME time, I will have super flaky skin in those areas indicating dryness? Yeah, my face makes no sense to me either.

Anyway, for my whole life I've had to use super harsh, rough scrubbing pads to get the dead skin off my nose and chin. Also, if I didn't exfoliate several times weekly, the sebum production in my nose and chin would go through the roof and I'd have super clogs all over the place.

Because of my horrible skin, this cleanser which has neither scrubbing particles, nor does it foam and "wash" didn't really seem like something that would work for me. Never the less, it has amazing reviews on here, and many people say this is amazing for combination skin, so I gave it a try.

I've had it for about a week now, and because of how "hardy" my skin is, I've used it twice a day. I know this may be too much for some people due to it stinging, or drying the skin out, but it actually has regulated the dryness that was on my nose and chin. I've even skipped moisturizer after using this and I haven't had the persistent flaky skin that I normally have.

I will use this on clean dry skin. I use MAC cleansing oil to remove makeup first. Then I take out a glob with my finger tips and I massage into my face for a good 3-4 minutes and then I let it sit for 15-20 minutes. It feels cool/tingly for the first minute or so but it dissipates quickly and doesn't burn the eyes. After it sits on my face I run a wash cloth under hot, hot water, wring it out and then apply in onto my face like a steamy mask. I gently rub and wipe away the Noxema. I do this a good three times just to make sure I get all the product off my face. I'll then use a toner, and night moisturizer.

My face after a week seems more even toned. It definitely seems to have drawn the clogs, and infected pores (pus) to the surface, in which they are then easily extracted. It has evened out the dryness on my nose and chin which is amazing. I also am prone to having infected pores---where the sebum gets stuck in my skin and creates an acne which is unable to be extracted. When it finally does become extractable (1-2 weeks later) it leaves a very noticeable deep hole in my face which then doesn't heal for another 2-3 weeks. I had one of these on my cheek and I've become good with not touching them and within a couple days, the hole has virtually healed! It's closed up, and not as deep as it would have been, and I don't see this one scarring and leaving a crater mark behind. The only thing I've done differently has been using this Noxema so this has to be what has helped.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2012 1:39:00 PM More reviews by Katras

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

(Review for generic brand: Walgreens Studio 35 Beauty)

When my brothers and I were kids and get sunburns, which was de rigueur, my mother would slather this stuff on us and within hours our sunburns had cooled and any peeling was dramatically minimized or halted. Fast forward many years later, my face was breaking out due to Idaho's hard water and I wanted something cheap, effective and something I could use with or without water. Enter this cleanser.
I apply it every night, onto a dry face, making sure to work it into the areas with slightly more makeup (chin, nose and any areas with a blemish; not eye makeup). I then proceed to brush my teeth, letting the cleanser do its thing and clear my sinuses while it's at it (hello eye opening eucalyptus scent!) and then wipe it away with a dry face towel and finish with my toner. My face is left clean and soft , with no dryness in sight and the only time I get a blemish is when "it's that time of the month" and any blemish that does appear is quickly minimized. I do believe the hunt is over for a Summer cleanser. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2012 12:59:00 PM More reviews by annieoakly

I used this when I was younger. Of course I stopped using it and started using other products. I can across this in the store about a month ago and picked it up. When home opened the jar and was transported back it when I was 12. I forgot how Good this stuff was. I will never stop using this again. I love using this as a face mask. It's just Good stuff that gets my fact clean.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2012 2:09:00 PM More reviews by jinxiies

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

After hearing so much about this product, I decided to try it. I was very impressed. I have acne-prone combination skin, and this helped clear my skin. It wasn't completely gone, but it did wonders clearing up a few pimples and acne scars.

When using this cleanser, my skin "tingles" a little, leaving a slightly cool, fresh feeling. My skin immediately feels very clean and soft. I like using this at night, or in the shower. It doesn't leave my face too dry, or too oily.

The smell is fairly strong, while it may be a turn-off for some people I don't mind it. The main issue I have with this product is the packaging. I generally don't like tubs like this due to the sanitary issues but if you are careful and always keep your hands clean, you shouldn't have any problems. However, I would prefer a different type of container.

All in all, I would definitely recommend this product to someone with acne-prone, combination skin!