September 30, 2014 | 1686 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

rated 2 of 5 on 4/4/2012 3:53:00 PM More reviews by crystelle07

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Turns out I wasn't so lucky at trying to achieve the pretty golden highlights that some other women got. (so sad) For years, I had been getting my natural chocolate brown hair highlighted in my hometown with my favorite stylist since I was in 8th grade, I'm now in my mid twenties! Since I moved to a new city almost 2 years ago, I've been scared to try a new hair stylist. Needless to say, I tried to become my own highlighting stylist. I had been coloring (all over color) for years as my hair turns into an auburn reddish on my ends since I was a child. So here is my experience, I had my fiance help me with pulling my hair out in my back and NO, it was not painful at all, some ladies stated they experienced bleeding and sore scalps. Not at all, since I have deep brown hair and my hair does break easily I was hesitant to leave the bleach for a whole hour. I left the bleach on for about 40 minutes and I did notice that my hair was warm and turning a blondish tone. I didn't want to go over the 40 minutes because when I checked my hair I noticed some breakage on the front part were my bangs were. I bought toner from Sallys (Wella T18) since I have heavy red undertones. Unfortunately, after washing out my hair I had very heavy orange tones, after I applied the toner with 30 volume peroxide, it turned into a reddish blonde. The next day I went back to Sally to purchase another toner (with 20 volume this time)! This toner did help somewhat, after using 2 toners my base color turned into a very golden brown and I have golden brown highlights, not necessarily blonde. I would recommend this product to women who either have virgin hair or women who are willing to leave the product in longer than 40 minutes. My fiance says it looks fine but he agrees with everything, typical man who tells me what I want to hear, lol. My hair suffered some severe breakage right at my bangs :( therefore, I will be coloring all one color (my natural base color) to heal and I won't be adding highlights any time soon. Looks like I'll just have to get them done when I visit my hometown. Remember, we all have different hair types, I say give it shot if you want some highlights. Don't knock til you try it. I'll try posting a picture so y'all can see how the finished product turned out. Good luck and happy hair coloring!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2012 3:59:00 PM More reviews by clarethebear13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I love love LOVE this product.
Ok first of all, I have naturally light brown hair that I have been dying a dark brown for several years. When I wanted to get closer to my natural color I had no idea how hard it would be! My hairstylist told me that there was pretty much no way she could take my hair from the dark brown it was to the light brown/dark blonde that I wanted unless she did gradual highlights.

Obviously I didn't want to pay for salon highlights, as I am a college student on a tight budget, but I was desperate at this point because my roots were growing in my natural color but my ends were a dark brown. Not a good look. Soooo I perused the hair color aisle for about an hour examining every highlighting kit. I found Revlon Frost & Glow and looked it up on makeupalley when I got home and found all the great reviews. I was still apprehensive, but went ahead and bought it anyway as it was only $6.99 which seemed ridiculously cheap to me.

Anyways, I got home, poked my hair through all the little holes (a time consuming process I admit, but well worth it in the end) as others have mentioned I would recommend a friends help for this part, I used a mirror and was able to get my hair through all the little holes. I used every hole on the cap because I wanted a noticeable lightening, but it would also work well for around the face highlights.

I used the honey highlighting for dark brown hair, and left it on for about 35 minutes since my ends were dark and roots were light. I was terrified when I went to wash it off that I would come out with orange highlights, as some people have described, but I rinsed it off, dried my hair, and found a beautiful blend of caramel and blonde highlights that mask the difference between my roots and ends very well!

This products saved my hair from being an awful two tone mess by turning it into a lovely combination of brown, caramel, and blonde while also saving me a ton of money. I will definitely be using it again for more highlights in the future. :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2012 7:28:00 PM More reviews by monicaandree

I just used this product tonight. First, I will describe my experience, then I will address some of the common concerns that other reviewers had. Lastly, I will offer some tips that would have helped me.

1. I have natural blonde hair that is ashy-wheat colored. I used to use this kit 10 years ago and liked it. For the last 5 years I have been dying my hair various shades of brown, ranging from warm medium to black. Most recently, I dyed it black (about 6 weeks ago). I use a soft black, not blue black, and I never use metallic dyes (Feria). Lately, my hair has been looking muddy and dull, and I have a lot of spottiness of blonde peeking out underneath the top layers. Today, I decided it is time to lighten up, albeit gradually, hence this kit. I applied it to my entire head, using all holes (not just the circled ones), and let develop for 50 minutes before rinsing.

2. Here are some of the common concerns about this product: most people find it difficult to get to the back of their heads. I found that sitting down and using my fingers to feel for the holes allowed me to easily target my entire head, including the back. I just periodically used a mirror to check my progress to make sure I got all the holes. Also, some people have complained about brassiness. This is from not leaving the bleach on long enough to fully develop. The color it appears to be before rinsing is NOT the final color. Wait until it is lemon yellow before rinsing and you will avoid brassiness. Some people have said you can't use this on previously dyed hair. This is not true. It states right on the box that it can be used on dyed hair, and that's what I did. Finally, the plastic hook is fine, at least it was for me. It helps to insert the hook upside down, twist it to grab hair, and pull out. That way you are really using a "hook" motion.

3. Some tips that would have helped me: When applying the bleach, use your gloved fingers to saturate the length of hair. I used a brush and piled the hair on top of my head. I discovered halfway through processing that I had missed quite a few chunks that were hidden within the pile. It still turned out fine, but would have been nice to avoid that mistake. Also, make sure to loosely gather your hair together once it is saturated and clip together rather than piling it all on top of your head to avoid tangles. My hair was MEGA tangled,even after conditioning. Also, have a deep conditioner handy if your hair is longer than chin length, because the amount of conditioner provided is scant. My hair is mid-back and I had to use a ton more than what they gave. Also, I covered my hair with a plastic bag while it developed, which really helped to speed the process along. I highly recommend this if you have dark or previously dyed hair.

Overall I am very happy with the end result, and plan to do another process once my hair has had some time to recoup from the bleach. This seems to be an excellent way to blend lightness into dark hair gradually if you are looking to lighten up. I plan to leave it on even longer next time, and eventually follow up with a demi-permanent natural blonde color.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2012 7:18:00 PM More reviews by happifayce

I got tired of paying $85.00 for salon highlights. I saw this at Wal•Mart for $6.95 and I am totally in love! This did WAY better than my salon ever did, for $78.00 cheaper! I left it in my hair for 35-40 minutes, and it made my hair a gorgeous light blonde. I am so glad I can finally save money. Will definitely keep buying this!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/10/2012 10:54:00 AM More reviews by Erikaskarlet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Ok so I have colored jet black hair, and i had like 5 inches of my natural brown hair on the roots. I got the Frost and Glow for medium brown, honey. it worked GREAT on my roots but for my colored black hair it make it reddish and it remained blackish too....

I would recommend this product for people that have natural hair, not colored hair. the highlights turned out beautiful on the top on my head where my real hair color was coming out. I would also get help pulling your hair with the cap on the back, it is very difficult to do that on your own.

I would totally use this product again if my hair was not colored. I am having to go to the salon now to get the black even witht he top. GOOD LUCK LADIES!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/8/2012 10:01:00 PM More reviews by VeroniqueDubois

Breaking news.......and it's not good news. Frost and Glow has been reformulated. A few ingredients have been taken out of the blue powder and it now smells different. But worst of all, it left my hair a dreadul fake orange instead of the beautiful sun-kissed blonde that I could always rely on from this product.

A few of the old formula boxes are still around. Get them before they are gone. You'll recognize the new formula by the change in the shape and size of what used to be a square white plastic mixing tub inside, but is now a rectangular clear mixing tub.

I'm bummed about this.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2012 11:46:00 AM More reviews by alana2007

This is the best product ever. I have been highlighting at a salon and always end up with brassy highlights. This didn't do that. Advice leave on until you see no more orange , I left it on for 35 minutes. Deep condition afterwards it left my hair very dry but thats any bleach. I love it and its very cheap too.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2012 9:10:00 PM More reviews by kmichael

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This stuff is amazing. No wonder it's a classic! Soft, beautiful, salon-worthy highlights - and simple enough for even me to get it right. I usually go to the salon for everything but this stuff is totally failsafe for home highlights.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2012 8:35:00 PM More reviews by hazeliz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Don’t go to the salon and spend all your money on highlights (unless you don’t have the patience to do it yourself). The Revlon Frost and Glow kit works so well! I have gotten so many compliments and people said that it looked professionally done. The instructions are straightforward, however it is time consuming and extremely frustrating if you have no one to help you (to get the unreachable hair) I found that 35 minutes wasn’t long enough to leave the bleach in for, so I went 55 minutes. (the instructions says not to exceed 60)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2012 3:11:00 PM More reviews by kaye_511

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought Frost & Glow to add an ombre to my hair. Originally, I was going to use the cap but then I realized that my kit was missing the hook tool and the mixing wand. So I decided to just continue lightening my hair without the cap. I bought the caramel highlights for medium to dark brown hair. My hair has already been coloured a light brown so I just wanted to lighten the ends to a caramel blonde.

I did a two-step process: coloured the bottom half, left on for about 15 minutes, then rinsed, dryed, and then repeated again but emphasizing more on the ends by rubbing the colour in.

It turned out amazing! I am really happy with the results. I've never bleached my hair myself before but I found that this formula wasn't very abrasive or drying and it didn't smell that bad. Also, my hair looks highlighted even though I didn't use the cap, and the colour is so even!

I definitely will buy again!