September 20, 2014 | 1536 users online

Treatments (Face) - Olay - Regenerist Daily Regenerating Serum - Fragrance Free

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2010 9:28:00 PM More reviews by pencilpleat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This has become a staple in my skincare regimen: I use it both in the morning underneath my sunscreen (either Shiseido or Shu Uemura or simply Olay Total Effects Moisturiser with SPF15) and in the evening over Retin-A. I have found that my skin turns out much better with fewer products and simpler routine, so in the past year or so it's been just a BHA wash (any drugstore kind, so far I'm loving the Regenerist cleanser, the Neutrogena one - forgot the name sorry - and a L'Oreal one for acneic skin, or Caudalie for days I want to feel some pampering) this and sunscreen and in the evening a cleansing oil, Retin-A and this again. My skin is smooth - no bumps or wrinkles - and even-toned. I must say my skin still has room for improvement, but if you saw me ten or twenty years ago you'd say I look better now than I did then. I do get the occasional hormonal stupid zit but the Retin-A and BHA wash take care of that and the serum does not aggravate it.

It's pricy for a drugstore item, but it works, and is only a fraction of what I used to pay for SKII, Dermalogica, Sothys etc. Definitely will buy again.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2010 7:08:00 PM More reviews by soundofsilence

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I tried this product after it was recommended on the skincare board. I was told it was a good product with niacinamide. I have combination skin (oily, but dehydrated). My main problems are redness, uneven skintone, hormonal cystic breakouts on my chin (ugh), and little bumps on the outer sides of my cheeks. I have been using Olay Regenerist FF serum as a moisturizer in the morning and in the evening. Within a few days of using it, I noticed that the small bumps on the sides of my cheeks, which I've had for a long time, were starting to go away! I was really pleasantly surprised. When I started using this, I actually had a small cyst on my chin, and it went away pretty quickly after I started using this - I'm not sure if that's coincidence or if it had to do with the product. Either way, though, it did not cause me to break out at all and has been helping my skin. This also seems to be a sufficient moisturizer for my skin. I'm in Canada, and I've heard this is pricier here than in the US. I paid $28.99 CAD for it at Loblaws. So, it's not the cheapest moisturizer, but well worth the cost if it continues to work so well for me.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/10/2010 3:45:00 AM More reviews by cdowning410

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Tried this for the niacinamide, and i really like it. I was afraid that the dimethicone would break out my normal skin, but I haven't found that after a month of use. I use it at night before my retinol and like it very much. It's not overpriced and I can use it in place of retinol and/or moisturizer if I'm feeling lazy.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2010 8:08:00 PM More reviews by BarbaraGordon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have used this product for the past two years and I have no complaints. I know people freak out because it contains dimethicone, but it is used to create a barrier to keep the good stuff in your skin and pollutants and irritants out. The barrier that it creates also helps retain moisture. ( I know that dimethicone may cause some people to break out. I have very sensitive skin and I put it on a little spot on my jaw line for about a week to see it would break me out. I would also recommend regular exfoliation if you are using this.) I stopped using the Regenerist line of products Ė not because they were not effective, but because I wanted a skin care regimen that was a little more natural (good luck trying to pronounce the fourth ingredient listed). I still had nearly a full bottle of this stuff left, and I didnít want to throw it away, so it just kind of sat there for the past month. I was at Sephora looking for a primer and one of the sales associates gave me a sample of the Bare Escentuals Prime Time, and I realized it felt almost exactly like the Regenierist Serum. So for the past week or so I have been using this as my primer. I put my moisturizer on, give it ten to fifteen minutes to absorb, then I put the fragrance-free version of the serum, give it another ten minutes or so, then I apply my foundation. I set this with finishing powder and I am good for the whole day.

INGREDIENTS: CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, WATER, GLYCERIN, POLYMETHYLSILSESQUIOXANE, NIACINAMIDE*, DIMETHICONE, DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, PANTHENOL**, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, PALMITOYL PENTAPEPTIDE-4***, CARNOSINE***, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE^, CAMELLIA SINENSIS LEAF EXTRACT^^, ALLANTOIN, CETYL RICINOLEATE, BIS-PEG/PPG-14/14 DIMETHICONE, PEG-10 DIMETHICONE, PEG-100 STEARATE, PEG-10 DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, DISODIUM EDTA, ETHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, METHYLPARABEN, BENZYL ALCOHOL, CITRIC ACID.

*VITAMIN B3, **PRO-VITAMIN B5, ***AMINO-PEPTIDE, ^VITAMIN E, ^^GREEN TEA.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2010 1:45:00 PM More reviews by athenasius

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I've used this successfully for 4 years now, bought many replacements and will buy many more. I hope it's never d/c'd.

This serum has peptides, niacin, vit C and E and functions as a light moisturizer, mattifier, primer, eye cream and general all round anti aging miracle. Normally I use it day and night, twice a day. Under my spf day lotion, and over my Neutrogena retinol and around my eye area for extra moisture.

Although I use it with Olay's regenerist spf 15 lotion, I was on vacation recently for a month in the tropics, over December. I left it behind, figuring that the spf lotion would be enough along with my Neutrogena retinol night cream. The Regenerist lotion with spf has niacin, peptides, antioxidents, so why bother doubling up?

That became the perfect test for whether this serum is worth the extra step in applying it. The answer is YES! It's worth it.

Without it, in spite of my other creams and lotions the skin around my eyes began to show more fine lines, the area around my lips and my nasolabial folds (the line between your nostrils and the sides of your mouth became more pronounced. I had my age spots make a surprise reappearance, and my skin became redder and more reactive. I am 53 years old, with typical redhead skin, fair, sensitive and allergic with rosacea.

Experiment over, I concluded that yes the serum makes a great difference, even more than the regenerist lotion with spf 15 which I always use. I was using an spf 50 on top of the regenerist lotion and still I found sun damage was becoming quickly obvious.

I will never ever again leave this at home and skip it for convenience in travel. I would sooner go without spf (which is never going to happen btw) than skip this little miracle.

I also prefer the fragrance free version. Why bother with a potential reaction? Paula Begoun says this serum is slightly more loaded with peptides and antioxidents and niacin than the fragranced version, and MUCH more loaded with good stuff than any of the other regenerist products.

EDITED TO ADD: I've just done a little experiment, layering the serum on AFTER my sunscreen to see if the mattifiying effect would cut some of the shine from the ss. It works. Not sure yet if it blocks the good stuff in the serum from soaking into the skin but I will update further.

28 out of 29 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/24/2010 10:37:00 AM More reviews by hedberkm

I wanted to love this product, but unfortunately it made me breakout. I tried it for a few days and then took a week break and then tried it again to make sure it was what was causing my breakouts. I loved how velvety smooth it felt on my skin and wish my skin would have tolerated it. Unfortunately it didn't and I ended up returning it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2010 10:01:00 AM More reviews by carville5

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've been using this for about one month as a light moisturizer both day and night. It can be easily applied under make-up and actually doubles as a primer.

It works well at night when I'm not looking for a heavy-duty moisturizing treatment. Otherwise, I use the Regenerist night treatment.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/21/2010 9:07:00 AM More reviews by mojo_machine

After using up the entire bottle, I have to say - I'm not impressed. The serum is very thick and feels like it's just sitting on top of my skin. When I bought it, I intended to use it during the day to supply my skin with antioxidants and create a nice base under my makeup. After a few months, I stopped. It felt too heavy on my skin and I saw absolutely no improvement. So I started using it at night instead. I tapped it around my eyes as an eye cream and, when the weather got chilly, spread a thin layer on my face before applying my night moisturizer. It made no difference whatsoever. I've come to the conclusion that if I continued to use this serum, it would be just an extra, unnecessary step in my skincare routine. It also does nothing for me as a regular moisturizer or an eye cream. I will not be buying this again.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/27/2010 1:18:00 PM More reviews by kelly32

At 38, I was looking for something that would help moisturize my parched skin and provide even a little anti-aging benefit without spending a fortune. Even though it is relatively pricey for a DS brand, the price, if it worked, would have been negligible. I purchased this along with the micro-sculpting cream. The first day I tried both products, I noticed some mild itching and was hoping this my skin's way of adjusting to the product. I used both products again that evening and the next morning. Shortly after putting it on the second day, my face not only started to itch horribly but I broke out in hives along my jawline. Needless, to say, it is going back to the store. This get some pretty good reviews here on MUA but does have preservatives in it. If you are someone with fairly sensitive skin (normally, I'm not!) then patch test this first! Darn, I was so hoping this would work out and I would notice some of the same affects as other users.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2010 5:37:00 AM More reviews by FairlyVanilla

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I LOVE this moisturizer -- so soothing, great ingredients, just lovely all around.

It's FRGRANACE -FREE -- thank god -- it's still so hard in this day and age to find fragrance free products!

I use this moisturizer morning and night -- I used to use Paula's Choice moisturizing gel for normal/combination skin, but I found it wasn't quite moisturizing enough for me anymore. Plus Calgary is notoriously dryer than a desert, so that doesn't help matters -- everyone's skin in Calgary is dehydrated!

But when I switched to the Olay Serum, I did notice that my skin's hydration level improved. It's great for under the eye, but I use it all over my face. In the winter when it is super-EXTRA dry in Calgary, I usually put an extra, plain moisturizer on top for additional hydration at night.

What I also love about this serum is that my makeup goes on so smoothly. There are so many moisturizers where I've found they leave an odd film -- everything from Biotherm, L'Oreal, Lancome, etc., -- and when I apply makeup on top of a "filmy" moisturizer, it tends to flake off in clumps. Luckily, the Olay Serum soaks into the skin, just leaving a silky softness behind, and letting your foundation go on like silk. (I use M.A.C. Select Concealer in NW15 in the t-zone, and then Sonia Kashuk Sheer Magic Minerals all over in Pale Ivory.)

I HIGHLY recommend this moisturizer! I still love the Paula's Choice moisturizing gel, but I just found it too inconvenient to re-order when I kept running out --- it's nice to have a moisturizer you can buy locally when you run out!

I do still use my Paula's Choice Super Antioxidant Serum layered under or over the Olay Serum from time to time for extra night time treatment. That also works great!

The only drawback is the small size -- 50 mL -- How I wish I could just buy a giant vat of this stuff -- I'd slather it all over my body! ;)

Oh, and the price for Canadians is a bit steep -- I saw that at Target it was around $18 USD -- in Canada, it ranges from about $24 CDN on sale or at Walmart or Superstore, and when it's not on sale at Shoppers Drug Mart, their regular price is $36.99, which is INSANE. I only buy this moisturizer on sale or at cheaper stores!