April 20, 2014 | 1721 users online

Fragrances - Elizabeth Arden - Sunflowers

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2007 2:23:00 PM More reviews by CecileCecile

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Whew - I remember this. It seems to me as though the Arden company formulated this as their answer to Giorgio Beverly Hills, ten years too late. Same product color theme, same type of sweetish scent. Those who said it is sharp and synthetic took the words right out of my mouth. Bleh. Now a story: A year ago, a friend was getting married for the second time, and I asked her what she intended to wear as a fragrance on her big day. Well, she is the type that rarely wears cosmetics or fragrance, and she told me that she had gotten some of this as a gift years ago and supposed that she would wear it. I asked her if she really liked it and she said halfheartedly, it's OK..... Next time we went shopping together I steered her to the fragrance counters and insisted she sample some scents. There were quite a few that she liked and I am pleased to say that she was saved from having to go down the aisle wearing a scent that did not make her feel beautiful. In her ivory satin and Champs-Elysees, she made quite a lovely bride.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2007 4:49:00 PM More reviews by lilydw

I also got a total of 23 comments when i first wore it out~!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2007 12:52:00 PM More reviews by Sherrie11

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I don't think Sunflowers was so bad. I wore it around 1992, and I remember getting more than a few compliments on it. Maybe I didn't over spray - I'm a bit self conscious about smelling like I drowned myself in perfume. Anyway, I suppose the style of fragrance is dated now, but I don't understand the HUGE aversion so many people have to this, it's such an innocuous type of frag. What could be so horrible? :-/

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2007 9:10:00 AM More reviews by Boxerface

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Strong, It must have good staying power because when my mother in law wears it, it seems to overwhelm the room for hours. I do not like this scent. It has a sharp rose fragrance mixed with other summer flowers. Too powerful, maybe a lotion version would be more subtle.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/15/2007 8:03:00 AM More reviews by opinion

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I first smelt this several yrs. ago when I received a sample bottle of this from somewhere, & I thought the smell was quite nice(a strong scent of rose with just a bit of lemon thrown in), but it was also quite over-powering, & so, I used that one up as my car freshner.... I came to miss this scent last yr. & found a big 100 ml(3.4 oz.) tester bottle of this for $19.99 at a perfume outlet store, bought it, & boy, have I regretted buying that big bottle! After only about a week of using this bottle, this perfume started to feel rather sickening to me, & I just couldn't stand it anymore.... What's worse is that I've found out that I could have just bought a reg. 50ml bottle of this at the local Marshalls or TJ Maxx(They each carry several of these bottles....) for just $9.99 without having to go to a far-away outlet mall!
p.s. I've been using this in our washer, but the sprayer stopped working when only barely a 1/4 of the fragrance has been used up!!!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2007 2:09:00 AM More reviews by Roxyroxx

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Ack! I think this is the most nauseating perfume I have ever encountered. I first smelled it in high school and thought it was like someone had barfed and covered the stink with air freshener. It didn't give me a headache but made me feel like I was on the verge of one whenever I came across it. Plus the packaging is pretty cheap and nasty... No love lost with this one.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2006 8:52:00 AM More reviews by Faster

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I got this as part of the dreaded xmas gift set a few years & decided to review it. It smells like toilet cleaner - its so over powering. Just think of a time you got stuck beside someone with really overpowering/horrible perfume - my bet is that it was Sunflowers.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/2/2006 3:29:00 AM More reviews by kimberly73

?!)(#$&#(@Q$#

Sorry for the expletives, but I forgot all about this nightmare until a friend brought it up tonight as one of her all time favorites. I had thought that Clinique Happy and CK Obsession were my top 2 migraine nausea producers, but darn if she didn't remind me of this stuff...

I, quite literally, had to go home early from work years ago when a girl who sat near me wore this. A killer migraine came on, and I was sick to my stomach. It took 3 or 4 days to figure the culprit. Once I did, it was not pretty. She didn't want to stop wearing it, but was forced to by management. Apparently, I wasn't the only one who had complained. Yes, she may have worn too much...but this is just one of those scents that inspires love or TRUE and unabashed hatred. It brings out the evil in me if I get a whiff. Sorry to those who love it...body chemistry is what it is, though. I'm just here to say there are people who will literally want to -kill- you if you wear this around them. Ahem.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2006 9:42:00 AM More reviews by littlelamb

I find this quite nice despite the negative reviews. I don't use it often but it is a clean and casual fragrance, very reasonably priced and packaged in a cute bottle with yellow juice. There is nothing offensive about this fragrance, although it's not really special either.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2006 10:29:00 PM More reviews by Mr_Mellow

As a "5 sensitive senses" guy I prefer to review fragrances that I wear myself (men's, unisex or bordeline like Fendi/Fendi), but if enough women I am with wear a certain scent then I will review it for its effect on me. I have loved scent in general, and enjoyed trying new fragrances, since my eleventh birthday when I began going for twice monthly ritual haircuts at a true British barber's. The mirrored counters were lined with hundreds of scent bottles. They carried every product by Creed, Yardley, Aqua di Parma, Mennen, Stephans, Pinaud, Caswell, and Shulton, plus dozens of others imported from Germany, France and the Caribbean, so they could "finish" a haircut (or shave) properly.

Since I've known nearly ten women who have used Sunflowers (all were under 30 yo), I've answered the question, (spritz) "How do you like it?" many times about Sunflowers in both the perfume form and the EDT. This sort of citrusy, sort of floral scent is "okay" but at times it seems a bit sharp and chemically to me. I try to like it because the young ladies who are wearing it, want a positive response, but sometimes when they see my lack of enthusiasm for Sunflowers they reveal their true feelings by saying, "I'm just using it up" or "I know I'll be getting that horse-sweat smell on me and I wanted something to cover it up", or "it's hot on the gold course and I don't want to smell gross" or something equally "utility"

This fragrance seems to have had a very short lifespan as a trendy scent. It's not subtle though, and it is one of the few scents that can give me a headache if it is sprayed allot inside a small car or in an enclosed bathroom as I exit a shower. I'm guessing that although the components allow this scent to project strongly, it's intended to be a light (and hopefully subtle) freshener to use on hot summer days, when heavy florals and orientals might be too overpowering. It's true that this scent is inexpensive and it's made with some quality ingredients (and concentrated). But to me it seems like the formula leans too heavily on synthetics. It is possible to make a good citrus/floral fragrance, but only by relying less on synthetic ingredients.

There was one young lady who always layered this scent with Kolnish Wasser/4711. The first impression always emphasized citrus and the chemical sort-of sharpness was covered up. Then as the Kolnish Wasser faded (fast) Sunflower's floral scents seemed to retain a bit of the citrus flavor while mellowing to a light flowery (summery) kind of fragrance. Men seem to layer colognes like this all the time but women don't seem to do it much. But if you get a large bottle of Sunflowers in a grab bag or other low cost gift-giving situation, consider layering instead of throwing the Sunflowers away. continued >>

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No