MAC Matte - Soft Brown

4.6

on 5/24/2010 8:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

At first, I hated this eyeshadow, but the more I began to use it, the more I began to really appreciate it. My skin type is tan/olive and I have golden yellow undertones and this eyeshadow is a perfect match for my skin color. I use this for all over the lid or as a highlight color. I usually place Soft Brown on my lid and use Cork on the crease to make a natural smokey look (both are matte colors). Before it just sat im my palette and now its one of my Must - Haves eyeshadow lol. I really hope they keep this color. Works well with Cork and any eyeshadow if you are tan or olive skin toned.

on 5/12/2010 2:05:00 AM

This is an awesome neutral brown to have kicking around in your palette. It's very useful for those muted, subtle looks when you can't wear brightly-coloured makeup. Excellent pigmentation, texture and blendability.

on 4/17/2010 12:40:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

One of my go-to MAC eyeshadows. I'm on my second pan of this shadow & I still love it just as much as I did when I bought it a couple years ago. Soft Brown will go with just about any look your trying to achieve. Very great neutral shadow.

on 4/3/2010 6:34:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is a great warm light brown color but the formula is severely lacking. It's dry and doesn't apply easily like Bobbi Brown, for example. It also kind of sits on top of your skin (even applied lightly) rather than meshing with it. I'd rather spend a little more money and get a really great color and formula.
Update: I still wish this was smoother but I'm using it again and love how it wears without creasing. And the color is typical MAC - great.

on 3/22/2010 5:45:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Soft brown eyeshadow is simply the most amazing eyeshadow color to blend out harsh lines. I use it every single day. Pretty hard to find a dupe for this color.

on 3/15/2010 11:21:00 PM

Hate to ruin the streak of good reviews, but this color just does not work for extremely fair, cool skin. It's too peachy and warm to look natural in the crease. Wedge or Omega work much better to define the crease in a subtle, flattering way with my skintone (NW10). Perhaps I was using too much, but it honestly looked like I'd rubbed really hard with my blending brush an irritated my eyelid skin a bit after applying Soft Brown. Still, this shadow blends nicely. On more tan skin it would be very pretty and versatile judging from the reviews here.

on 3/15/2010 10:00:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I received this as a gift. I hate to yell at you guys but SOFT BROWN CHANGED MY FREAKING LIFE. This color is so VERSATILE, I find myself reaching for it in almost EVERY look I do. It's a FABULOUS crease color, and it really looks amazing with any look. It's great in a pinup-girl look with Stilife paint on the lid. It's great with Tempting for a smokey bronze/gold look. It's just great with anything--it's all about experimenting with it. For a matte, the color payoff is wonderful and the color is super blendable. Love my Soft Brown :)

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Soft Brown is often overlooked because it's brown, and well... it can appear boring. Most people cannot figure out what to do with it, or they think they can find it anywhere for cheaper. You can't.... I've come across every brown known to man, and it still manage's to be "the one" I reach for every time. Some may know it can be used to blend out a smokey eye, or simply define the crease for that ultra natural day look. I would also use this paired with bright lips. It just adds that touch of definition you need. So some may say it's basic, but it has it's purpose. That's why it's permanent. ;)

on 2/21/2010 1:10:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I wear this color EVERYDAY as a blending color in my crease! One of the best colors MAC makes and I feel that it doesnt get enough attention. The day I went into the MAC store to purchase it the MA was trying to UNSELL me the color! I wanted a matte color that would be good to blend out harsh lines and she was trying to sell me texture which has a totally different finish! I have worn this for months now and have gotten more compliments with people saying how professional my eye looks are than ever! Definately HG blending color!

on 2/17/2010 7:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I use this eye shadow all the time. It is a great matte brown with a hint of red and I usually wear it with blanc type as a hilight and It in the crease, then bisque or something on the lid. Perfect color :)

Top Rated MAC Products