Philosophy Hope in a Bottle

3.3

on 5/5/2006 2:41:00 PM

UPDATE: I loved (past tense) what this product did for a very short time. After that, I started breaking out, and once I stopped using it, my skin cleared up again.

on 4/23/2006 6:02:00 PM

This is pricey, but a real miracle worker for me. Occasionally, i get a bad hormonal breakout, and this clears my skin quickly without stripping it of moisture. I use it more as a treatment than a daily moisturiser, although i may start to use it as such to help unclog my pores and fight fine lines. This is truly a great product for me, although i will try Paula's choice 2% BHA next, in the hope of a cheaper solution!

on 4/19/2006 7:15:00 PM

UGH! As previous reviewers have noted, this smells terrible! However, if it worked, I would be willing to overlook the smell. It just seemed to sit on my skin, didn't really help in any way. I have combination skin, and I was trying to clear up some of the congested pores on my nose. Didn't work, except to cause some dryness & flaking.

on 4/10/2006 4:51:00 AM

This is a good basic moisturiser. It does not break me out at all but delivers enough moisture. The smell is not very appealing to me

on 3/24/2006 4:52:00 AM

This was just okay for me. I agree with a previous reviewer- I have combo/oily skin, and somehow this moisturizer made my skin feel dry. Even if you couch it as more of a "treatment" than a "moisturizer," I feel that it still isn't great. If I'm going to spend that much on an acne etc. treatment, I expect it to produce consistent results with time. I really did not see much difference between using this product and not using it. While I am crazy about Philosophy body care products, I have not been as impressed with their skincare. I recently started using Bioelements skincare and it has made a huge difference in my complexion.

on 12/8/2005 11:53:00 AM

I tried this in the past and then didn't repurchase. I figure it must not have made any lasting impressions. But I just recived this in a kit with fragrance yesterday and decided to give it a try again. I love the smell of this product unlike the last reviewer. I guess it's all in what your nose likes. I really like the texture as well. It soaked immediately into my skin. It did not moisturize at all, so last night I was pretty disappointed. Then, when I awoke this morning, voila`!, my skin looked wonderful, so radiant and fresh-looking. I'll have to update after using for a while to see if I still like it.

on 9/26/2005 2:32:00 AM

This ... smells ... AWFUL.

I'm not kidding. And I'm a die-hard Philosophy fan who manages to wear HIAJ every night. I found the smell of that a bit offensive at first but I adjusted. HIAB was so bad I couldn't even bring myself to use it more than once -- and when I did, I had to rub off any of the product around my nose because the odor was just horrific.

HIAB might work really well but I'll never know -- I swapped it away as quickly as possible. Philosophy has a line of adult acne serums and gels that work great -- and the smell is tolerable. continued >>

on 9/4/2005 10:27:00 AM

I started using this to replace Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid....(that product worked well, but the sticky film allowed me to only use it 1X day at night). This works really well! I was concerned that it would make my oily face more so, but it hasn't made it any more than usual. The exfoliation is great...probably better then PC because I can use it 2X day. I have one more (cheaper- Neutrogena Rapid Clear Lotion) product to test drive before I'm calling this my HG BHA, but I wouldn't mind if I had to pay this price because it actually works.

UPDATE: 2/10/09 I've moved on to Neutrogena Stress Control 3 in 1 Hydrating blah blah blah. Of the BHA's I've tried, I like it the best. Just not overwhelemd by any of them.

on 8/23/2005 10:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I like this light moisturizer/treatment very much. I have combo - oily skin, and it has helped to control the oil production and in my t-zone during the summer months and breakouts on my jaw and chin year round. It is also a great moisturizer for me in the fall and spring, when the weather indoors and outdoors is mild. It makes my skin very soft and evens out my skin tone (although I alternate it with Hope in a Jar in those months, which provides more moisture for me). It doesn't provide nearly enough moisture for me in the winter, b/c my skin gets painfully dry, and Hope in a Bottle cannot get the job done. I then switch to Hope in a Jar exclusively. I think this is a nice light moisturizer if you have oily skin and want to control shine and breakouts.

on 8/23/2005 9:58:00 PM

Got this as a sample. Very disappointing! I put it on at night but could not feel any increased softness the next morning. I'm sticking to my Olay hydrating.