April 20, 2014 | 1709 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Bottle

rated 4 of 5 on 5/30/2006 6:29:00 PM More reviews by want2agegracefully

Had been an avid Proactiv user for years (before that Murad and H2o prior to that.) Although Proactiv kept the blemishes at bay ('cept for those hormonal ones) it never felt like I was nourishing my skin. In the last month I've slowly and completely switched my entire skin care regimen to Philosophy. While purity is just that, very pure and simple and works well, I tried on a clear day super wash and was much happier with the results. So I've been using purity in the evenings with when hope is not enough serum and hope in a bottle for congested skin and the super wash in the morning with HIAB and their vitamin C powder. The super wash in the morning helps keep the mid-morning shine away when used together with HIAB and their vitamin c powder. I also apply on a clear day protection cream for maximum shine control before applying make-up. Only use a little 'tho otherwise it feels too heavy. Agree that the products need to be used in conjuction with eachother to reap the most benefits. And by the way, on days when I'm feeling bold and running quick errands and I go without much make-up, using the super wash and HIAB with the vitamin c powder but skipping the protection cream still keeps the shine at bay for a while. Yes the fragrance isn't that great, ergo the four lipies, but the product does what it says it'll do, and it feels like I'm helping my skin instead of just stripping it, and the positive affirmations on each product are a nice touch.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/5/2006 2:41:00 PM More reviews by lawdiva

UPDATE: I loved (past tense) what this product did for a very short time. After that, I started breaking out, and once I stopped using it, my skin cleared up again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2006 6:02:00 PM More reviews by Cara_M

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is pricey, but a real miracle worker for me. Occasionally, i get a bad hormonal breakout, and this clears my skin quickly without stripping it of moisture. I use it more as a treatment than a daily moisturiser, although i may start to use it as such to help unclog my pores and fight fine lines. This is truly a great product for me, although i will try Paula's choice 2% BHA next, in the hope of a cheaper solution!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/19/2006 7:15:00 PM More reviews by Zubina

UGH! As previous reviewers have noted, this smells terrible! However, if it worked, I would be willing to overlook the smell. It just seemed to sit on my skin, didn't really help in any way. I have combination skin, and I was trying to clear up some of the congested pores on my nose. Didn't work, except to cause some dryness & flaking.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2006 4:51:00 AM More reviews by StellaCH

This is a good basic moisturiser. It does not break me out at all but delivers enough moisture. The smell is not very appealing to me

rated 2 of 5 on 3/24/2006 4:52:00 AM More reviews by npeck

This was just okay for me. I agree with a previous reviewer- I have combo/oily skin, and somehow this moisturizer made my skin feel dry. Even if you couch it as more of a "treatment" than a "moisturizer," I feel that it still isn't great. If I'm going to spend that much on an acne etc. treatment, I expect it to produce consistent results with time. I really did not see much difference between using this product and not using it. While I am crazy about Philosophy body care products, I have not been as impressed with their skincare. I recently started using Bioelements skincare and it has made a huge difference in my complexion.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/8/2005 11:53:00 AM More reviews by nursedye

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried this in the past and then didn't repurchase. I figure it must not have made any lasting impressions. But I just recived this in a kit with fragrance yesterday and decided to give it a try again. I love the smell of this product unlike the last reviewer. I guess it's all in what your nose likes. I really like the texture as well. It soaked immediately into my skin. It did not moisturize at all, so last night I was pretty disappointed. Then, when I awoke this morning, voila`!, my skin looked wonderful, so radiant and fresh-looking. I'll have to update after using for a while to see if I still like it.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/26/2005 2:32:00 AM More reviews by roxiblue

This ... smells ... AWFUL.

I'm not kidding. And I'm a die-hard Philosophy fan who manages to wear HIAJ every night. I found the smell of that a bit offensive at first but I adjusted. HIAB was so bad I couldn't even bring myself to use it more than once -- and when I did, I had to rub off any of the product around my nose because the odor was just horrific.

HIAB might work really well but I'll never know -- I swapped it away as quickly as possible. Philosophy has a line of adult acne serums and gels that work great -- and the smell is tolerable. continued >>

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2005 10:27:00 AM More reviews by Jill70

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I started using this to replace Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid....(that product worked well, but the sticky film allowed me to only use it 1X day at night). This works really well! I was concerned that it would make my oily face more so, but it hasn't made it any more than usual. The exfoliation is great...probably better then PC because I can use it 2X day. I have one more (cheaper- Neutrogena Rapid Clear Lotion) product to test drive before I'm calling this my HG BHA, but I wouldn't mind if I had to pay this price because it actually works.

UPDATE: 2/10/09 I've moved on to Neutrogena Stress Control 3 in 1 Hydrating blah blah blah. Of the BHA's I've tried, I like it the best. Just not overwhelemd by any of them.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2005 10:37:00 PM More reviews by gwennw

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I like this light moisturizer/treatment very much. I have combo - oily skin, and it has helped to control the oil production and in my t-zone during the summer months and breakouts on my jaw and chin year round. It is also a great moisturizer for me in the fall and spring, when the weather indoors and outdoors is mild. It makes my skin very soft and evens out my skin tone (although I alternate it with Hope in a Jar in those months, which provides more moisture for me). It doesn't provide nearly enough moisture for me in the winter, b/c my skin gets painfully dry, and Hope in a Bottle cannot get the job done. I then switch to Hope in a Jar exclusively. I think this is a nice light moisturizer if you have oily skin and want to control shine and breakouts.