November 24, 2014 | 1767 users online

Top/Base Coats - OPI - Top Coat

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2011 5:12:00 PM More reviews by Dimanta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

It is very nice top coat that I have been using for about 3-4 years, however the result is not that very shiny. I am looking into other options and maybe will purchase Seche Vite top coat as I saw so many great reviews.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/16/2011 8:48:00 AM More reviews by sunnyhu

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Compared with the base coat, the OPI top coat is not as fantastic. It's good because it doesn't drag my nail polish, and it does protect it from chipping or losing shine. I can easily wear my nail polish for a week with this on top, which is definitely unimaginable otherwise. The only problem that has been mentioned by a lot of users is the fact that it does become rather thick. I'm more than halfway through the bottle, and I've had to put nail polish thinner in it about 3 times. The good thing is that even when it's thick, it doesn't bubble up on my nails like what other users have complained about. It does take forever to dry, but once it's dry it offers the same amount of protection. I would like to try something that doesn't thicken up as easily, but this is really my only complaint about the product.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2011 1:04:00 AM More reviews by fionamimi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I hate this Top Coat. I'm a die hard fan of OPI but the top/base coat or nail treatments don't do anything for me.

It's gloppy after a while, and sometimes it leaves bubbles in my nails when they dry, but always on like one or two nails. It's ugly and doesn't resist much again chipping. I really never liked it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2011 10:00:00 AM More reviews by tinkerrbelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

The worst thing about this top coat is is creates little bubbles that ruin your perfect manicure every time - even when used with exclusively OPI products it fails. I brought full size and had a couple of minis to try and they all bubbled. I made the mistake of thinking it must be an old bottle so I brought another one from a store that has high turnover and a fresh batch code - still bubbled. Every other brand I've tried (except Revlon, which also bubbles) does not bubble. Why OPI? Its like they went out of their way to design the worst top coat of all time.

It takes forever to touch dry, around 10 - 15 minutes, and the polish is still tacky and prone to dings for several hour after. I don't like paying for a higher end top coat that demands I be careful with my hands for the entire evening or my whole work is ruined. I have much cheaper products that manage to touch dry in 5 minutes and harden completely in 30.

The shine is not as good as any of my other topcoats (Seche Vite, Sally Hansen, Rimmel) and does not feel as smooth to touch as them either. The very next day the shine has worn off and it looks dull and scratched. My favorite top coat, Seche Vite, stays shiny for the 4-5 days until I take it off, no need for a "refresher". Only the Opi gets dull and needs adding an extra layer of top coat day or two to look good. This wastes product, $$$ and then all the layers takes extra time and remover to apply, costing me more time and money.

I am shocked that OPI make such a bad product. It is not worth buying at any price - I would not use it even if they gave it away for free.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/15/2011 6:05:00 AM More reviews by emilysin

Not the worst top coat. But for this price? Its rubbish. OPI needs a new formula for the top coat. The end.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2011 6:08:00 PM More reviews by NyreeA

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like this top coat in conjunction with the OPI Natural Nail Base Coat. When I use these two together - my manicures last anywhere between 5-9 days. It gives a shiny result as well. I rarely get full on chipping with this top coat - typically the polish wears away on the edge - which I don't mind. Chunky chipping is what I don't like and I feel like the OPI Top Coat doesn't chip. Would gladly repurchase - and I have!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/4/2011 1:21:00 AM More reviews by homerjmo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I bought this because Ulta was having a sale on a base/top coat combo package for $8. I usually use Seche Vite and should have stuck with it. I put on a base coat, 2 coats of polish and the top coat and hours later it had still not dried. Compared to how quickly Seche Vite dries, this one takes forever! Wish I could return it, but I didn't keep the receipt. I guess I'll be redoing the mani/pedi tomorrow due to the dents and bubbling.

I was so surprised at the poor quality of these since I'm such a big fan of the OPI polishes!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2011 8:37:00 PM More reviews by nycpari

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Other

I LOVE this topcoat because it keeps that glossy look even a few days after you first apply it (given you haven't had a lot of exposure to hot water). It doesn't chip that easy either. I'll always repurchase this until I find something better!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2011 11:49:00 PM More reviews by STACEYFFF

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Not good. At All.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/19/2011 7:28:00 PM More reviews by Smoogrish

I love OPI polishes, but their top coat doesn't do it for me. I've gone through two bottles of the OPI top coat, and I've had the same problem with both - it gets thicker as you go through the bottle, leading to the dreaded strings that follow your brush as you pull it out of the bottle, as well as bubbling (ick!). They also take quite a while to dry completely (even after doing my nails a few hours before bed I wake up with sheet marks), but that's not much of a problem since I've discovered the miracle of drying drops. I love that they make my nails super shiny, but having to throw the bottle out after I've used half of it is a big no-no. I would definitely recommend Seche Vite's top coat over this one.