Annick Goutal Eau De Charlotte

3.9

on 12/8/2003 1:58:00 PM

After all the reviews here I thought I was going to love this one - the thought of black currant jam and cocoa almost convinced me to buy it unsniffed. I am glad I didn't. Described as a blend of black currant bud, mimosa and cocoa, this was more or less just that, unfortunately for me, the green, herbacious quality of the black currant bud was just too overwhelming - in a bad way. When it finally settled down to something slightly sweet and cocoa powdery, it was many hours later and by then too faint to really appreciate. It was not worth the wait or the suffering through the weedy notes.

on 11/11/2003 3:26:00 AM

Love this fragrance!! I was first introduced to this about 7 years ago when I found out that this was a favorite of Madonna's. It is a little light for fall, but definately a must have for spring and summer months!

on 10/12/2003 9:57:00 PM

I didn't care for this scent although I thought I would love it after reading the reviews. But on my skin it was very sharp when I was hoping for a soft blend of cocoa, fruit and mimosa. It just didn't work with my chemistry.

on 9/3/2003 4:51:00 PM

I love this. Very easy to wear. This fragrance manages to be delicious without being foody and clean without being remiscent of detergent. Mimosa, cocoa, and blackcurrant. Initially there is the clean burst of mimosa and then it mellows into a soft, round, sweet-skin scent. This is dry, as though the cocoa is present in powder form. I don't find it fruity at all, and a review below says it is actually the blackcurrant bud, which seems likely. This is a clean, sweet scent that isn't exactly inspiring in terms of complexity but is nonetheless very pleasing. I haven't smelled anything else quite like it, but I think fans of those dry, gentle scents like Lea St. Barth or L'artisan's Jour de Fete or Vanilia will enjoy this.

on 7/2/2003 1:53:00 PM

I'm so and so about this one. Definately not one of my favourite Annick Goutal scents but still ok. I will not re-purchase though

on 6/25/2003 3:14:00 PM

love the drydown - smells of rich dark cocoa powder, slightly dry rather than sweet, and low-sugar blackcurrant jam. thats the effect she was looking for, so in that respect a great success!

on 5/15/2003 9:55:00 PM

Oh, what a yummy fragrance. I love the smell of this perfume in the bottle, but the initial scent of this on my wrists is less than pleasing. It smells an awful lot like baby oil (the smell of which I can't stand). The drydown, however, is worth it. This morphs into a sweet, subtle fragrance that smells of berries and cream. There seems to be a very slight musty quality to it that keeps this from being too sweet. This also isn't a very heady or cloying fragrance. I think this would be the perfect summer fragrance, as it isn't strong at all, but remains sweet and calming.

on 5/13/2003 9:05:00 PM

This is beautiful. I agree with everyone who has mentioned it has an almost edible quality. One of those scents I just swoon over once in a while...

on 5/12/2003 11:29:00 PM

EDIT: I have tried so hard to love EDC for 8 long years. Can you believe it? In the bottle it smells soooo good; buttery, rich and mellow yet at the same time slightly tart, green and innocent. It's a beautiful creation. But on me, this just doesn't work. It turns into a high shriek of powdery sweetness with a plasticy undertone. It literally goes crazy on me. Where are the little tan legs kicking under the breakfast nook with toast and jam crumbs casting early morning shadows on the plates? Where's my snuggly and sensual MILF sweater? Where's the slyly confident and winning smirk? All these things REMIND me of Charlotte, but I can't get them to come out on my skin. It is one of the tragedies of my life. I am utterly moved by this perfume, I reach for her, she turns on me. But can I recommend Charlotte? Most assuredly.

on 5/4/2003 11:53:00 AM

First of all, its not as fruity-yummy as it may sound. At first, the mimosa is very powerful... After about 30 mins. though, it dries down to a softer powdery fruity scent. You cant just put it on and walk out smelling fantastic funnily enough. You have to be patient with it...I'm in love with it. Whenever I wear it I always get compliments :))It's a very complex scent that isnt everyones taste. A little heavy for some but very romantic...

Popular Fragrances