L'Oreal Feria Haircolor

Shimmering Conditioning Permanent Colour Gel: Aqua/Water, PEG-4 Rapeseedamide, Alcohol Denat., Glyceryl Lauryl Ether, Deceth-3, Propylene Glycol, Laureth-5 Carboxylic Acid, Ethanolamine, Dipropylene Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Ammonium Hydroxide, Polyquarternium-6, Oleyl Alcohol, Parfum/Fragrance, Ammonium Thiolactate, P-Phenylenediamine, Resorcinol, EDTA, Polyquarternium-24, Erythorbic Acid, M-Aminophenol, N,N-BIS(2-Hydroxyethyl)-P-Phenylenediamine Sulfate, 2-Methylresorcinol, 2,4-Diaminophenoxyethanol HCl. Aromatic Shimmer Serum: Helianthus Annuus/Sunflower Seed Oil, Parfum/Fragrance. Shimmer Boost Hydrating Conditioner: Aqua/Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cetearyl Alcohol, Candelilla Wax, Cetyl Esters, Dimethiconol, Parfum/Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol, Polyquarternium-37, PEG-150/Stearyl Alcohol/SMDI Copolymer, Mineral Oil, Methylparaben, PEG-150 Distearate, Hydroxypropyl Starch Phosphate, PPG-1 Trideceth-6, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Aloe Barbadensis/Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Propylene Glycol, Camellia Sinensis/Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract.

on 12/26/2011 5:57:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I'm stunned by the negative comments on Feria haircolor, I've had better luck with it than any color I've ever used. But, I don't venture far from my natural color, as a matter of fact, I try to achieve the color I was born with, which is an auburn color. Being 50 years old, the reddish brown color I love is gone, replaced with that ugly no color gray with white streaks. I've used all the different brands but since I use colors with red in them, they fade very fast, all of them. I find that I have the best luck with "lightest golden brown" colors, they always pull red on me. If I use "medium golden brown" they pull darn near black. So, I decided to try Feria in "hot toffee" which is supposed to be a rich golden brown. When I first used it, it was very dark brown with reddish highlights, much darker than what I wanted. Well, it faded in a couple of weeks to the perfect auburn color! And it lasted for weeks with no additional fade. I loved it, absolutely loved it. Will definitely use again but last night I decided to try a lighter red color, to avoid the initial dark hair. I used Feria "amber tortoise" which is a "light coppery brown"but looks very red on the box. Boy, red it is! This is definitely copper, I don't have brown in it at all. It's a lovely color and I really like it but I don't know how quickly it will fade. I'll have to do an update in a few weeks. That said, I definitely recommend Feria but judging from the other reviews, don't try to do a major color change, like blonde to black. Actually, i don't think you should do that with any haircolor, you're just asking for problems.

I decided to dye my hair black with the "bright black" dye. It was platinum blonde at the time, and I had wanting black hair for a long time. Basically, the dye turned my hair a navy blue color. It was hideous. I immediatly went back to the store and bought top 10 black hair dye with red undertones, to cancel out the blue. It worked great. I'll never buy Feria again. Also, one of my best friends dyed her hair one of thier purpleish colors, and it turned her roots pink, affecting nothing else. Feria: you are a stupid, stupid hair dye.

on 11/21/2011 5:48:00 PM

I used L'Oreal Feria in Auburn Brown # 56 over my already dyed light auburn hair (Goldwell) and the color came out true to my strand test. Although I was happy with the color, it did wash out (more than other dyes I've used).
Now for the metallic dye/salt issue. I too was worried about this so I contacted L'Oreal via email asking if Feria--specifically #56-- contains any kind of metallic salts. The rep wrote back:

November 21, 2011

Thanks for contacting L' Oreal on the web.

Feria Hair Colour does not contain any metallic dyes or salts.

We hope this information is helpful.

Consumer Affairs Advisor
Ref #

Of course I wanted to do my own research so I looked up the chemicals for #56 and I couldn't find any chemical compound that could be considered a metallic salt.

I'm not too sure why there is so much confusion surrounding Feria hair color. Just to be safe, strand test first!

on 11/21/2011 12:04:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

I bought this dye in shade M31 (Midnight Moon) to touch up my new growth (my natural hair colour is off black with an auburn tone, but I colour my hair blue-black). The dye applied easily enough and didn't have a harsh smell...my hair colour looked great after I rinsed the dye out, but upon closer inspection, I found that it was now severely dried out and rough feeling.
Over the next several weeks, this dye washed out of my hair at an alarming rate-with each shower, I was dripping gallons of muddy-looking purplish-black water (I have hip length locs, so you could imagine how much coloured water was going everywhere). By the end of the month, my freshly-dyed new growth had gone from "Midnight Moon" to "Burgundy Mud"- my hair faded from the pretty blue black shown on the box to a washed out, lustre-less, dark burgundy mess.
Luckily my hair recovered from the dye fiasco, and I went on to re-colour it with ColorSilk Blue Black, which was cheaper, gentler, and longer lasting.
I will never buy Feria again :(

on 11/18/2011 10:01:00 AM

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

i used to use this hair dye in my teens, but stopped when I found shwartzkopf live xxl. I found Feria faded so fast that after about a week, you wouldnt be able to notice the "fresh" colour anymore!
no i wouldnt buy again, XXL is much better quality, and much nicer colours too!

on 10/30/2011 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

I have always loved this hair dye. I must be lucky but my dark brown hair always comes out gorgeous and sparkling with this brand. I've used a tone of shades over the last 10 years and I'm always happy. Right now my fav is T53 Medium cool brown. It gives me a rich chocolately but not reddish or orangey brown. It's like makeup for my hair. There isn't any other brand of dye that gives me such a shiney sparkling shade of brown.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

My hair had gone through multiple colorings and even a transformation from jet black to platinum blonde without a scratch. It was still soft, bouncy and full....until Feria. I used one of the red shades, Copper Shimmer (more orange than red). Faded in three days and DESTROYED my hair. It has never felt the same. It is so dry and all the conditioning in the world cannot help it. I've had to resort to using semi-permanent haircolor only in the hopes of returning its health.

on 10/22/2011 1:13:00 AM

Feria is no better than Preference. My hair looks exactly the same with both, certainly no additional highlighting effect noted with Feria. And the Feria is always a few bucks more.

Please, sister hair color and makeup junkies, if you haven't tried Garnier Nutrisse hair color, try it now. It's so much better than Feria, and less expensive too.

on 10/18/2011 10:09:00 PM

WORST BOXED HAIRCOLOR ON THE MARKET!!!! this totally sucks!! I used the shade light brown on my dark brown hair, and it turned my roots pumpkin orange, and didn't change the bottom half at all. this isn't the first time this has happened, and I will never ever ever use this brand again! complete crap.

on 10/14/2011 4:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I picked up Feria in Espresso. I was not too thrilled with its long term perfomance. First off it did not have enough color to saturate my hair and that left me worried about missing spots. Then once I finished it seemed to leave my hair drier than usual. It did not cover all my grey's despite being a permanent color. On the positive the shimmering effect did leave "multi facets" in my hair. But I will not be buying again. Its one of the most expensive home kits to boot.