August 28, 2014 | 1472 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - Bois des Iles

rated 2 of 5 on 10/15/2005 11:07:00 PM More reviews by ajchula

Oh geez...I need to just face the fact that Chanel and I will never be friends. I went through hell to get my hands on a sample of the parfum, finally got it....and....I'm disappointed. Chanel, it's not you...it's me. Much too soapy and mature for me. It reminds of very rich old ladies *ducks and runs*.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/30/2005 8:52:00 PM More reviews by Lennyjenny

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This has been my mother's perfume for years and I thought I would like it - I do prefer it on her.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2005 11:51:00 AM More reviews by LipstickLil

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Finally I have been able to try Bois des Iles (thanks to kealle!) On me the opening notes are slightly harsh - I can only smell sandalwood - but once the scent settles down on my skin it softens up quite a bit. I don't detect any florals at all, unfortunately, and very few spices, but the mix of sandalwood and vanilla is very smooth. This lasts a phenomenal 7 hours on my skin (a record!) and it definitely gets better the more it dries down. It is slightly too dry and masculine - it just needs a little more of the floral element that makes Chanel No 5 so perfect for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2005 4:43:00 PM More reviews by thatmoody

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Not only is this one FBW, but it's one of the few I'd consider owning in both its iterations, EDT and Parfum Extrait (I just bought the EDT, but I'm considering saving for the Extrait). It is sandalwoody on me - that elusive sandalwood that I've been looking for in Luten's "bois" series, and it's perfect on me. I never appreciated Chanels till I became more "mature," which is not to say that they smell old on me, just that I don't think that my nose was quite ready for them when I was younger.

The woods mix with the florals seamlessly, and this produces a confident, feminine (although not girly) fragrance. My best work scent, but my DH also loves this one me, so I end up wearing it out as well...

I can see where this could be masculine on some, though - the woods and aldehydes ARE a bit...woody, but on me, this comes across as confident, rather than male...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2005 2:51:00 PM More reviews by tabloid

I tried this today in a Chanel boutique and my reaction is - what a gorgeous fragrance! When I first put it on, I found it overwhelmingly woodsy (the name, Bois des Iles, translates literally to '"Woods of the Islands") but after a few minutes, the floral and spicy elements began to emerge. The end result is a very warm, soft and sophisticated fragrance. It faded after only a few hours but I think this is because I tried the EDT. The parfum probably has more staying power.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2005 11:05:00 PM More reviews by delsfan1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I believe this would be the scent I chose if given a choice of choosing only one perfume to wear for the rest of my life. I have this in parfum, and I cherish it. I can see myself growing old with Bois des Iles parfum. I have hopes that my now 5 year old daughter will have memories of her Mommy smelling of the beautiful Bois des Iles. Creamy sandalwood that is suitable to wear year round. I feel very elegant when wearing this, even if I'm not. Pure class.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2005 2:21:00 AM More reviews by PhoenixGirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Let me jut say that I'm in love with Bois des Iles, and it is the only perfume I've ever loved enough to buy the expensive parfum version. Bois des Iles is a masterpiece, as has been described very well in previous reviews. It's a soft yet complex sandalwood touched with flowers. It's Woman with a capital "W". No flowery, sugar-sweet little girls here. The scent is warm and refined, with all the notes in harmony. When I wear Bois des Iles, I feel so good inside. I truly feel like myself. Thank you Coco!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2005 10:11:00 AM More reviews by Snowwhitie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I join in the raving reviews - this must be the most beautiful of all Chanel perfumes. The jasmine and sandalwood notes remind me slightly of Guerlain's Samsara, but in Bois des Iles they are more sophisticated, closer to the skin. I also smell honey and gingerbread, but never too sweet, just warm and comforting. I've got the newly designed bottle, which looks much nicer than the old one - they got rid of the clumsy and hideous top. What really surprised me was the fact that you can wear Bois des Iles on a hot summer day, and it still feels right. Compared to Bois des Iles, many fashionable new scents seem so loud and uninspired.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2005 6:14:00 PM More reviews by mommysteph

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Heavenly, this is what "French perfume" should smell like in my mind. This could never overwhelm, it is soft, gorgeous, very grown up. Delicious. I am so excited to have this! I would be so proud if this scent were associated with me in someone's mind.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2005 2:43:00 PM More reviews by HopeB

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Thanks to the lovely, nay the angelic (!) Roseamber, I was able to try Bois des Iles.
This is fantastic, bliss-inducing potion: Nirvana by Chanel. It's the richness and complexity I love about Chanel, based around an incomparably soft and sophisticated sandalwood. Not that sharp sandalwood of other perfumes, but a mellow, rich sandalwood. Zen sandalwood, even. I feel immediately calm whenever I wear it.