Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Mousse Foundation

3.0

Cyclopentasiloxane , Dicaprylyl Ether , Water , Isododecane , Talc , Trihydroxystearin , Disteardimonium Hectorite , Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer , Silica Dimethyl Silylate , Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate , Polyglyceryl 3 Beeswax , Sorbitan Sesquioleate , Trimethylsiloxysilicate , Kaolin , Tribehenin , Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate , Propylene Carbonate , PEG 10 Dimethicone , Caprylyl Glycol , Polypropylene , Phenoxyethanol , Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer , Sodium Chloride , Dimethiconol , Laureth 4 , BHT , Tocopherol , May Contain (+/-): , Titanium DioxideCI 77891 , Iron OxidesCI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499

on 11/18/2014 6:16:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Background on my skin: NC10, VERY oily, acne/rosacea prone. Not to mention - ugly.

This is my HG (holy grail) foundation. In fact this is the only absolute HG foundation I have ever had as none have ever amazed me with my problematic skin. I found this foundation after it was released here in July 2013. I can NOT believe I've been using the same foundation for over a year without "finding a better replacement". If you take a look through my profile's pictures you'll see I have had hundreds of different foundations, from high end to low end. I was loving Hourglass' Immaculate Liquid Powder foundation for a while, although it had it's flaws. However Rimmel's Stay Matte liquid mousse foundation blew it out of the water, for about $50 less.

The two main pros of this product - oil absorbing qualities and coverage. I am extremely oily. It doesn't help that I currently live in a hot humid hell also known as Texas. Even in the winter, I find myself blotting with powder after two hours. After finding Stay Matte liquid mousse however, I can go the entire day without touching up. That is amazing to me, and for that reason alone I will not stray. It doesn't get better than this.

As for coverage, I use a pea sized amount. Stay Matte will cover ANYTHING. It is very thick in consistency (hence why it's called a liquid mousse rather than just a liquid foundation). Just as food for thought - a pea sized amount of Stay Matte would be equivalent to the giant globs of Revlon Colorstay I used to apply. A tiny bit of this goes a LONG way.

The only cons this line has is shade selection. For what it's worth I use the shade Light Ivory. Not because it is my shade, but because the undertone is closest matching to my neutral leaning yellow skin. It's too a bit too warm/peachy though, and dark. I mix it with sunscreen to lighten it. I use a yellowish setting powder, and boom - this shade matches my NC10 skin. I did buy Light Porcelain for a bit, and that *was* pale enough for me. However it is cool toned, & correcting that with a yellow food coloring was too much work for someone as lazy as me.

on 11/13/2014 6:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

SKIN BACKGROUND: normal/dry, acne prone, mild to severe acne marks and scars, dominant yellow-olive undertones.
COVERAGE: medium to slightly full
FINISH: satin/matte
TEXTURE: very fluffy, yet somewhat thick
LASTING POWER: 3-4 hours
SHADES: I’m NC20 in Mac and I had to mix Soft Beige and True Beige to get even close to my skin tone.
DID THIS BREAK ME OUT?: no
WOULD I REPURCHASE?: no
FINAL VERDICT: I've always been a huge fan of mousse foundations, but I couldn't get myself to like this foundation. I applied it using different brushes, sponges, even my clean fingers, but nothing. It looks streaky no matter what, doesn't last long at all, and transfers way too easily. It also oxidizes within a couple of hours, but not just the shade. The undertone went from yellow-beige to complete pink. I gave the foundation to my friend who has pink undertones and smooth skin and she loved it! So maybe it just wasn't the right foundation for me personally.

I asked the shop assistant for a recommendation for an inexpensive , everyday foundation. I was looking forward to using the product as I am very happy with the primer from the same range. Alas, I was disappointed. The consistency is thick and masque-like, and takes on orange tones as it dries. I wasn't happy with the heavy unnatural finish. It looks awful in natural light. I tried blending it with moisturiser, and this does improve the look somewhat. I prefer something with good coverage, but a thin consistency, so this doesn't fit the bill. I do however think it would be great for stage or on film, where the heavy look is desirable and you are seen at a distance. Would also be good for nights out as you are only seen in dim lighting and it does have amazing staying power- I went swimming in it and it didn't wash off! Price point represents fantastic value. Packaging is nothing interesting but does get dirty easily. Would not repurchase , or even finish using tube.

on 11/7/2014 10:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I received a sample of this in Elle magazine. I believe it was the lightest shade. I got over a week of use out of a tiny sample pouch, so I know this product has good value in terms of a little going a long way. This product did help me stay matte and it had pretty good staying power. I remember being very impressed by how quickly it set, and how good my skin still looked by the end of the day. I was sad when my sample ran out. I've read and watched reviews mentioning clinging to dry patches. I don't have any, but that seemed worth mentioning for those that do. I saw this product at a Canadian Target store for $7.99 and was really excited to purchase it once I run out of my Revlon Colorstay. This price may be a little steep but Target doesn't have the best prices here. I'd definitely recommend this to oily-skinned folks. The only reason I didn't give it 5 lippies is because there are only 7 shades. This isn't any issue for me personally, but it can be an issue for others.

on 11/7/2014 1:05:00 PM

I personally love this foundation! one little squeeze of it goes a long way! i recommend this to anyone who wants a good drugstore foundation. the price is good as well. I blend mine in with a small stipple brush and it gives a great finish

on 11/3/2014 9:20:00 PM

I am a Mac foundation junkie BUT I love this foundation. A little goes a long way. I set this with my Mac studio fix powder and wow it gives a great finish.

on 10/31/2014 12:41:00 PM

so I've reviewed this foundation before, I honestly hated it so much when I first purchased it. But I hate throwing makeup away so it sat in my drawer for a few months,and a couple days ago I came across it and decided to give it a second try. I have been under the impression that my skin is dry because one of the ladies at ulta told me I had incredibly dry skin, however I've come to the realization that I'm actually quite oily/combo. So I figured maybe I could find a way to use this matte foundation. I actually really liked it upon trying it again. I applied it with a damp sponge, it blended really well and dried quickly. it gave me sort of a powdery finish. I think my issue before was that I was using way too much product, because it would cake up and settle into pores before. A little goes a very long way with this foundation. Using too much will make you cakey pretty quick. But I am actually really enjoying this along with the stay matte powder. it literally stays on my face all day. seriously I woke up this morning and still had foundation on my face. The packaging is really great too. Worth a shot if you like mousse foundations and have oily skin!

on 10/22/2014 2:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This foundation is a blessing for people with skin like mine. I am oily everywhere, not just in my T-zone. And the oil is just ridiculous. I've tried everything and nothing has worked. I just always end up looking like the sweatiest slime ball by the end of the day. This foundation is a little tough to blend, and the color selections are a little off. I think the one I have is too light. Also, it does not photograph well. It makes you look very washed out. However, it does the job of not making me stay matte ALL day, but a lot longer than any other of my previous foundations, and for that I'm super thankful. I do NOT recommend this foundation for people who have dry, or even normal skin. It will bring out all of your dry patches. I only suggest this foundation for people who are super oily like myself.

on 10/17/2014 10:15:00 AM

Great coverage but makes me break out in cysts

on 10/17/2014 6:22:00 AM

Love this product!
Leaves my skin feeling a bit sticky, however I use the Stay Matte pressed powder and it fixes that!
I use the Soft beige, which is a perfect match!
Super easy to apply, as it is a thicker formula aswell as its a MOUSSE!
I could not wait for it to come out!!! (I WAS SO EXCITED!!!! :D)
It has awesome coverage, which is great for me as I have uneven skin tones and redness!
So happy with this product! :)
Good luck x