December 20, 2014 | 1764 users online

Treatments - Blue Cross - Cuticle Remover

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2009 9:35:00 AM More reviews by simplyviki

Well, first of all I should say I'm a real clutz when it comes to my nails. I have no idea how to properly "do" them. But for some reason or another, I got in the mood to properly make them up and stuff, so I went off in search of the right materials to use. Somehow I stumbled on a review of this product, so I decided to go ahead and make my very first ever trip into a Sally's store. Wow! Love the store - I'll definitely be back. Anyway, I found this stuff pretty easily, after seeing a picture of the bottle online. I was a little skeptical because the bottle is HUGE. I doubt I'll ever run out. Even if I divide it evenly among my sisters, my mom, and my roommate, and heck, even my co-worker and my boss, I still probably wouldn't ever run out.

Anyway, I didn't feel like soaking my hands, even though I know you probably ought to when attempting a manicure, but I did wash and scrub them, and put lotion on. Next step was this stuff. It's thin and runny, and looks somewhat like diluted glue. I was pretty skeptical. But anyway, I don't know how everybody else's cuticles are, but mine are almost invisible, but they consist of a coating of very thin skin or something over about an 8th of an inch of my nails. After applying this stuff, I was able to gently nudge the coatings completely off using my fingernails (I don't have an orange stick and wouldn't know how to use one). The cuticles basically turned to mushy gunk and came right off. Gave me enough motivation to continue on with what turned out to be a really decent manicure (after picking off the excess polish that I always end up with afterwards, but that's another story).

Yeah, I'd buy this stuff again... if I lost it or someone stole it, that is, because like I said, I don't see myself running out unless I open up a salon or something. Which would never happen.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2009 5:00:00 PM More reviews by thejadedstar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I was lucky enough to get a 6 oz bottle of this in a swap, and I will NEVER try another cuticle remover. This is the stuff HG legends are made of.

For referance, I am REALLY tough on my nails/hands : i don't own a dishwasher (boooo), I do a lot of daily cleaning around the house, and I do tons of crafts that expose my hands to everything - paint, jagged edges on metal wire, hot glue, super glue, etc etc. My cuticles have ALWAYS been an issue, they are dry, grow superfast, and I am very prone to hang nails. Prior to discovering this gem I had used an Avon brand cuticle remover with a built in orange stick tip, but it hardly made my cuticles budge.
Due to the thin consistency of the Blue Cross, the first time I used it I felt like I was wasting it, because it just ran off of my fingertips and down the drain. But even with it having been on for a minute maybe more, it did an amazing job! My cuticles were super soft and easy to push back, and a lot of the harder sections had dissolved quite a bit. I've been using the same 6 oz bottle for TWO YEARS, so the 16oz could easily last a lifetime! LOL. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2009 11:41:00 AM More reviews by boqueron

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am so surprised I don't hear more about this product on the boards. I think it's just fabulous.
Cost: It's $5 for a giant 16 ounce bottle of this at Sally's. This translates to 31 cents per ounce. By comparison, Sally Hansen Instant Cuticle Remover is $5.49 per ounce, so over 16x more expensive than the Blue Cross. Not that this should be the only deciding factor....

Texture: The Sally Hansen wins for texture, at least until you get used to the Blue Cross. The Blue Cross will be really runny as you brush it on, but then fairly quickly becomes more solid, whereas the SH is gel-like. I don't mind the texture of blue cross at all, once I became used to it. I bought a cheapie brush at the art store and use it to paint on the blue cross. By the time I have reached the last nail, the first one is ready to have its cuticle pushed back.

Effectiveness: Let it be said that I am a nurse, and therefore washing my hands nearly constantly during a given day. I have to work really hard to keep my hands and nails in good condition. This helps so much. I won't trim my cuticles back, so I need something that will give that look without actually trimming. This does it. I do like the Sally Hansen, and it does a great job, but I did sometimes find that there would be a stubborn cuticle that would not look great and would need retreatment. Not sure why, but this has never happened with the blue cross. I just leave it on long enough to "paint" all my cuticles with it, then gently push back with a wood stick.

The ingredients of blue cross are listed as water, caustic potash (potassium hydroxide), calcium, carrageenan, oil, and lanolin.

The ingredients of the SH are quite similar, at least for the first two ingredients: water, potassium hydroxide, butylene glycol, acrylates, alkyl acrylate crosspolymer, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, chamomilla recutita flower extract, camellia sinensis leaf extract, tetrasodium EDTA, dipotassium glycyrrhizate.

So, long story short, I am definitely staying with the Blue Cross. It's a great bargain, and I have had no issues with it.

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2009 12:15:00 AM More reviews by jaqi16

Thank you MUAers for introducing me to this product, I would have never known about it otherwise (the girl at the store didn't even know she carried it). This product is amazing! It REALLY works, and it was only $4.99 for 16oz... can't beat that! For the record I have dry hard cuticles. I've tried the Sally Hansen instant cuticle removal gel and this one is FAR FAR superior. The SH one made the cuticle soft enough to push back, but I still had to use the trimmer. With the Blue Cross Cuticle Remover there was absolutely NO trimming necessary. The consistency is more watery, but don't let that fool you. I put a drop on each cuticle on one hand, and as a push back gently with the metal stick the cuticle comes off so easily without pain or irritation. Then repeat for the other hand. After washing my hands I have perfectly groomed cuticles. I can't believe how easy this was, and how great the results are! This will last a long time, but I will be repurchasing when I run out.
continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2008 2:23:00 PM More reviews by gnippy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Originally I ordered "Creative Cuticle Remover" but due to a packing error on the seller's side I got the "Blue Cross Cuticle Remover" instead. Initially I was disappointed but after checking on the NB I decided to give it a try. I am really glad I did because I love this stuff. It worked like nothing else I have ever tried for my cuticles. I applied a small amount to each nail bed on one had at a time. While still wet I rubbed each finger nail and could actually see thee cuticle become softer and then coming off. Since my cuticles were in bad shape I did this application process twice on both hands and then finally pushed back with a cuticle stick. The results were amazing. My cuticles non existant and my nails moisturized. I agree with one of the reviews, wash your hands immediately after you are done as the ingrediants could be irritating to your skin. The only thing I don't like about this product is that it comes in a plastic bottle with a pop up spout and as such it is difficult to control the amount of product you dispense at a time. That makes it a little tricky but still workable. I paid $3.99 for a 6 oz bottle that will last at least 6 months. That is a great price. I did however go back to check the 8ty8 site and currently they are selling it for $1.95 for 6 oz. I also understand that this can be purchased at Sally Beauty Supply if you don't want to order online. I will continue to use and buy this product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2008 10:46:00 PM More reviews by hp11989

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Overall rating: This cuticle remover gets two thumbs up from me! It's an HG product! It does what kit says and does it quickly and cheaply. However, there are no directions on the bottle, and it took some trial-and-error attempts before I hit on a method that works for me (as follows): I pour a 1/4" or so in a Dixie cup (the kind in the bathroom dispenser). Then I use a generic art-and-crafts store (Michael's) flat art brush to apply. I put two coats on the cuticle area of each nail and wait for about 5 minutes. I remove by putting a few drops of liquid soap on a nailbrush and scrub my nails well for about 4 to 5 minutes, being sure to rub the brush both horizontally and vertically along my nails and cuticles. I use warm water for this process. I rinse well, then follow with cuticle butter and hand cream. I do this once a week :-)
Price: Cheaper than dirt at Sally's. Around $8 or so for an entire liter!
Packaging: Standard squeezie bottle with flip-top pour spout. I actually would like this better if the bottle was smaller. Guess I should just decant it into a smaller one.
Would I buy again: Yes, but I doubt I will have to because the bottle is so huge! continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2007 10:29:00 AM More reviews by gigglemommy

While i already love Sally Hansen's Instant Cuticle Remover (in the blue bottle), i just had to try this. the bottle is ENORMOUS for the price, and it has great reviews. i'm glad i did! while i prefer the gel consistancy of the SH one, i think the Blue Cross one works just as well if not better, once i got used to it.
First of all, it's a liquid and very drippy. The first time i used it i got it everywhere, and tried to let it sit for a couple of minutes like i did with the SH. mistake. it completely dried, making it uncomfortable to scrape and not much came off when i did. the trick is to just do one nail at a time, one drop, and scrape immediately. it really does remove alot of gunk that way, i'm digging it now! i think i'll switch to this because it's so much cheaper and works so well.
it's ingredients are-
Water, Caustic Potash (Potassium Hydroxide), Calcium Carrageenan, oil, and lanolin.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2006 6:00:00 PM More reviews by frgrl616

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was curious about this bottle that I always saw at sally's beauty supply and as well as the unmarked bottle of off white liquid that the manicurist always seems to use when grooming my cuticles...I consulted my handy dandy MUA productville and I was convinced! This is hands down, the most effective cuticle treatment I've ever used...my cuticles grow at an alarming rate and this stuff is the only thing that softens/dissolves them enough for me to get rid of them w/o tearing up my cuticles leaving hang nails the next day. Rush out and buy yourself a bottle of Blue Cross Cuticle Remover today!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2006 12:01:00 AM More reviews by mcmunson

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I first learned of this years ago from my manicurist. It's the best cuticle remover I've ever tried. I put a couple of TBSPs in a Dixie cup and add a splash of warm water, soak my fingertips for a few minutes and then my cuticles are soft and easy to push back. I use my fingernail to scrape crud off other nails and a nipper to trim loose skin. This stuff is dirt cheap and a bottle lasts forever. Also good for pedicures. Just remember to wash it off thoroughly--it has some ingredient in it that can irritate if left on too long.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2002 1:11:00 PM More reviews by Cinnamon1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the only cuticle-remover product I've tried that actually does anythng. I don't know what kind of horrible acid is in this stuff, but it just dissolves your dead cuticles and turns them into this white, slimy stuff. I put Blue Cross on, push my cuticles back from my nails with a pusher, and scrub the rest off with a nail brush. It works so well, I hardly ever have to use the nippers. And at $5 for a huge bottle from Sally, it's cheap and lasts forever.