Giorgio Armani Maestro Fusion Makeup

3.8

(Active Ingredient : Octinoxate 3%) • Cyclohexasiloxane • Dimethicone • Isododecane • Alcohol Denat • Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer • Phenyl Trimethicone • Acrylates/Polytrimethylsiloxymethacrylate Copolymer • PEG-10 Dimethicone • Disteardimonium Hectorite • Fragrance • Nelumbium Speciosum Flower Extract • Limonene • Benzyl Salicylate • Synthetic Fluorphlogopite • Linalool • Benzyl Alcohol • Propylene Carbonate • Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride • Disodium Stearoyl Glutamate • Water • Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Flower Oil • Butylphenyl Methylpropional • Aluminium Hydroxide • Hexyl Cinnamal +/- (CI 77891/Titanium Dioxide • CI 77491/CI 77492/CI 77499/Iron Oxides)

My skintype: Normal, with oily t-zone. Decently clear with some blackheads around the nose, and a few dark spots. Have dark undereye circles.
My skintone: Light neutral/slightly golden. Can usually wear NC20 in MAC, though in some formulations have to wear NW20. Usually wear NARS Deauville.

I initially purchased this in November, but have waited all these months to review it because I had a love-hate relationship. I think the problem was that the MA said I should use #3, which, in all actuality, is a bit too light for my skintone once it "sets." Interestingly, the colors in Maestro run a bit differently than Luminou Silk, and seem to get lighter as they set, rather than traditional foundation that tend to get darker as they oxidize.

The #3 is a nice neutral - probably best suited for skintones no darker than NC/NW15. I found that because it was too pale for my skin, it seemed to actually accentuate any dark spots/imperfections. After doing some research online (The Beauty Professor blog has a great review on this which shows all of the swatches), I later picked up samples of #4 and #5, which made me instantly love this foundation.

The #4 would be perfect for NC20'ish skintones. It has a slight yellow tone. The #5 would be great for NW20'ish girls, as it runs slightly more pink. On the skin, however, both work quite well and seem to blend in.

A few notes on the packaging and texture... you definitely have to shake it up, and yes, the dropper bottle is annoying... mostly because as you're putting the dropper back in the bottle, it seems to push out the excess on the outside of the dropper. (Kind of hard to explain, but if you see the package, you will understand.) It feels like a lightweight dry oil, and all I use is 3-4 drops on my entire face. I basically start in the middle of my face and pat/gently rub outwards. It literally takes 10 seconds to apply. Because it is so lightweight, I don't have to think about blending or stippling. I usually just do one layer, but I've tried layering another layer on top, and it seems to be ok/doesn't get cakey.

As mentioned before, I have an oily t-zone, and Maestro does not set into pores or make me super oily through the day, which is a HUGE deal for me. Addtionally, it does not make me break out, and is easy to remove at night.

Just a few tips... make sure your skin is well exfoliated and moisturized before applying Maestro, as other MUA'ers have noted. For me, I like to use Bobbi Brown's Vitamin Enriched Face Base first, then layer on my Shiseido Urban Environment sunscreen and then use Maestro. I've also used it over the Josie Maran daily sunblock lotion, and it works wel with that, too. Also, you will need concealer with this if you have super dark spots or dark circles. I use the Maestro corrector *beforehand* on my dark undereye circles. For acne scars or other things like that, I use Urban Decay's 24/7 concealer pencil.

Overall, I love this product! continued >>

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I tried liking this foundation, hearing positive reviews on it for oily skin I wanted to give it a try, so I went to ask a Giorgio Armani SA and she put some serum, primer and the foundation it felt so light and felt like I had bare skin, so I took a sample.
After 30mins it became so oily (as I have super oily skin) I thought it was just the products she had used on me, but I applied this foundation on my skin with a dense flat top brush with and without (oil-free) primer it just didn't control my oil as good as I thought it would.

Love this foundation. I have had such a difficult time trying to find a good foundation for myself due to my problematic skin. I tend not to suffer so much from acne anymore, apart from the occasional spots due to hormones (and some products) but I've still got some red scars left that I want to cover. My skin also has the tendency to get really dry on few place while being very oily at the same time. And I've also got very large pores and uneven skintone. So to sum up, my skin isn't ideal. This foundation however makes it look as close to ideal as I think it can while still looking natural. It is not full coverage, I do still need to apply concealer on a couple of my red marks, but I definitely prefer my foundation to look natural as opposed to a full coverage mask. It also does not feel on your skin. At all. And I love love love applying it too, it glides on so smoothly when applied with fingers. Definitely worth a try.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I'm an NC15/20, Chanel B10, acne prone and quite oily. I loved this when i first got it. the sales lady at put it on the back of my hand and i was in love, number 3 matches me well. the coverage isnt great. i'd say a light to medium and not exactly buildable. i do like the dry-oil kind of texture though.. didnt break me out or clog my pores but i am quite diligent with my cleansing. As for how long it lasts, not that great but i might just be oily. i do set it with a powder though.. i think this product is only great for people with good skin to start with. It is a bit expensive though so i wouldnt buy it again, atleast not until my skin condition improves.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I was looking for a foundation that would give me a natural look with medium coverage. I am a current user of Shu Uemura Face Architect Smoothing Fluid Foundation, but i heard so many people told me to try Giorgio Armani Foundation. So, i decided to look for one. As a result, I absolutely LOVE LOVE this Giorgio Armani foundation!

At first i was going to get the luminous silk formula but then when i read some reviews about this Maestro Fusion formula, I decided to give it a try (since it was new so i though the technology should be better and all). The foundation is super easy to apply and, very smooth, feels really nice when apply on your face. I live in a very hot and humid country, and my face gets oily very easily, but this foundation keeps my face looking very smooth and flawless throughout the day! It only gets oily on the T-zone area, had to dap the oil off my face only once (which normally i had to do a 2-3 times a day). It didn't give me pimples or rash after using which is great because my skin is super sensitive, other foundation brand i've used before would give me small pimples after using a few times but Giorgio Armani Maestro didn't! I am using this in colour number 3, matches my skin colour PERFECTLY!!

Bottle and Packaging:
The very first time i opened the bottle I thought the dropper thing was abit inconvenient but because the foundation was very liquidly and runny so i understand why the dropper head would be more suitable. The bottle itself has very nice touch to it, smooth and matte texture. It is small in size which is very easy to put in the make-up bag for when travelling.

Overall, the price is quite high but totally worth the money! I would recommend this formula to anyone who want that natural flawless skin look. A good definition for this product would be "KOREAN ACTRESS NATURAL FLAWLESS SKIN LOOK!!".

I love this foundation. I have normal skin but very fair. Have never found a foundation to match the very light golden tones I have. This matches so well that blending is so easy. Love too that I can use my fingers. Don't understand why some are saying that it doesn't cover dry spots they are using moisturizer I hope. It is everything I have been looking for ! Am an armani fan now. Nothing else can compare to this !

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I am usually a lurker on this site-- I have read hundreds of reviews and have been here for over ten years. This is my first review... The reason? I have to warn anyone who even has a smidgeon of a flake on her skin to STAY AWAY from this foundation. Let's face it, we are using, or should be using, tretinoin-- it's the only REAL anti-aging product that works. sSo yes, I have some slight dry patches on my skin. I have been using Ilamasqua, and I do love its full coverage, though it's lightest shade though Sephora is a little yellow on me.

So anyway, I read the mixed reviews here, and decided to go ahead and try this because I was amazed with the cool, "new" formulation that the GA folks put together. It sounded revolutionary, and I wanted to be in on the innovation. Plus the raves here are so over the top, I had to see if I could deal with warnings about dry skin not working well with Maestro. I should have heeded the warnings!

I do love the coverage of this Maestro, too, and so little goes a long way, but good GOD, it accentuates even a tiny flake into looking like a shingle on the face. What's worse, if I try to moisturize even a little to deal with my dryness, Maestro sits on top of the skin, and I can actually see it pooling in my pores in a mirror two feet away. ACK! If you have oily skin and no dry patches or acne drying up, go for it. If you have any hint of dryness or the possibility of it, AVOID THIS FOUNDATION AT ALL COSTS!

So would I buy it again? HECK NO! The expense is crazy, the packaging is silly (you have to remember to squeeze out the dropper before you shake or else you are just applying the stuff in the dropper that's left from last time). Wait until the innovations and bugs are worked through with this kind of foundation. I am sure someone will mimic it. I am head to Nordstrom's to return this junk.

Best liquid foundation that I've tried. Just a few drops provide great coverage all over the skin, great spread and so easy to blend. Skin looks soft, luminous, and so natural! It literally does fuse into my skin color - so it's like my skin but flawless =P

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I am an Armani foundation fanatic. I've used Luminous Silk, Lasting Silk and Face Fabric. The only one that really didn't work for me was FF. I was so excited to try Maestro, and I was not disappointed. There's definitely a learning curve to it. It provides light but very even coverage, and is somewhat buildable, but I find that if I try to layer it on too thick my skin will look extra dry and the foundation sits on top of it rather than blending in. In fact, every so often when I am in a big rush I slap too much on and it will get uneven and caked on in areas. So less is definitely more with this product. Because I have a couple of areas that need extra coverage (e.g., my nose) I dot some Lasting Silk on instead of trying to build up the Maestro (I'm a 4 in LS and a 3 in M). This works very well. It takes me literally seconds to blend Maestro into my skin so long as I start with a just a small amount. I squeeze a drop into my palm and simply smooth it on with my fingers, again, being very careful not to overdo it. This stuff has a lot of slip to it! I have tried it with and without primer and definitely prefer the look with my HG primer, Laura Mercier Radiance. Note that many other reviewers consider this to be a better product for combination to oily skin. I have dry, but typically well moisturized, skin with no major dry patches. Still, at times, without primer underneath, Maestro can look a little "flat." I'm almost 40 and a lot of heavier coverage foundations have started to exacerbate the appearance of my fine lines (alas, including Lasting Silk). If applied correctly, Maestro does look smooth and natural and it feels like nothing on my skin. Yet it is still better coverage than I get from a TM.

I wish I could give it a 4.5 instead of a 4. I can't give it a 5 because it is not quite as buildable as I would like and I am not a huge fan of the dropper bottle. The makeup is very liquid and slippery and gets all over the rim. Also, Armani claims that this has some kind of long term anti-aging benefit and honestly I can neither confirm nor deny it. Certainly I would not buy this product hoping to see some major change in my skin. To me it's just a really nice foundation that looks natural and feels good on.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

UPDATED REVIEW 12/21/2013:
I had previously stated this was my HG foundation, the reason being that it doesn't sink into wrinkles or pores. And it doesn't.

But it's no longer anywhere near HG status for me-- the reason being that I've found another foundation that does the same, while providing better coverage, less fuss, and better packaging. (That foundation is Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk.)

But as for the Maestro: I think this product would be best suited for people with skin that tends to be oily and doesn't need a lot of coverage.

If you have a smooth, nearly flawless base already, this foundation provides an incredibly natural, skin-like finish. It doesn't control oil, but it doesn't make skin look shiny either. As the day progresses, it looks better. It is amazing in that way. However, it's not transfer-resistant. I have to be careful not to touch my face, or it rubs off.

If you have a tendency toward dry patches or flakes, don't even bother with this foundation. It clings to flakes and highlights them! I discovered flakes and dry patches that I didn't even know I had. I've also noticed that it fades more easily when my skin is dry (such as in winter.)

I now mix this foundation with my Luminous Silk foundation (to help with color matching). It does mix nicely and I'm very satisfied with the resulting finish.

Color: My skin tone is on the light side of MAC NC30. I bought this foundation in 4.5 and it was a bit too light. I'd suggest a darker shade if you're an NC30.

Packaging: This is my biggest disappointment with this product. After about 6 months, The dropper fell apart and is no longer usable. The glass part came apart from the rubber squeeze part, and they will no longer stay attached. I can still close the bottle, but I have to pour the product out to access it.

Also, if you hate messy makeup bottles, be aware that this is one of the messiest ones I've ever used. The dropper tends to spray bits of product on my bathroom counter and around the bottle opening. And the rubber squeeze part get can get messy with fingerprints. Also, as another reviewer mentioned, it's almost impossible to clean off. This stuff really sticks to surfaces! (Don't worry too much-- it does wash off the face easily. :) ).

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Foundation - Tony Moly CC Cream vs. Hera UV BB Mist vs. Armani Maestro vs. Armani Face Fabric by Josephine Chiu

Top Rated Giorgio Armani Products