Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Expert Face Brush

4.6

on 12/13/2014 3:50:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I use this brush for almost anything, liquid foundation ,liquid highlighter and my cream bronzer mostly. Although I use this brush for three very different shades it does not overlap on my face, making it seem like I wash my brush between every use. This brush gives such a flawless look with foundation on my face even though I have many imperfections it covers them up nicely, over bits which have not been covered I blot over that section again to which usually seems to do the trick! Although whenever I do clean this brush it comes clear to me of how much product it does hold back onto - as the product is usually up to the handle, I think this is due to this being such a compact brush that once the product gets into tight spaces it is hard to get out. Overall this is a amazing brush and I honestly don't know what I would do without it!

on 12/5/2014 8:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This is a very well made brush that doesn't really work for me. It washes easily, and doesn't shed. It is also fairly soft. Unfortunately, my skin is dry and slightly flaky, especially on my cheeks, so I usually use a dampened stippling brush (MAC 187) to apply my liquid foundation. I get frustrated with 187 because it is too wide for my face (and 188 is too narrow) so given the great reviews I decided to give this a shot.

As other reviewers have noted, this is a very thirsty brush. It soaked up a lot of foundation, even though I kept spritzing it with water. It also pulled the makeup off my skin when I tried to blend with it.

It isn't the brushes' fault...the dense bristles are no doubt better suited to buffing in powder or applying cream foundation. I would highly recommend it for those uses, but for an airbrushed finish on dry skin, I will stick to a stippling brush. I may try the RT stippling brush next.

on 12/2/2014 5:14:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is (was) my most used brush for foundation (before I bought the buffing brush and Sonia Kashuk buffing brush). I apply my foundation with a buffing-circular back and forth motion to diminish my big pores (I learned this from gossmakeup artist and it works). I like how dense it is and its shape allows me to apply foundation very precisely close to the nose area. What I don't like is that it absorbs too much product and that makes it difficult to clean.
I have oily skin, makeup artist Wayne Goss doesn't recommend this type of foundation brush for very dry skin because the buffing motion can cause "micro-exfoliation", and some people with sensitive skin might find the buffing motion irritating for their skin. I don't know about that, but I just wanted to mention it in case somebody with a very dry or very sensitive skin wants to try it.
This can work as a multitasker, I use it mainly to apply my liquid foundation but you can make it work for contour (actually Sam Chapman mentioned in a video that the Real techniques sculpting brush is quite similar to this only more narrow and dense). You could make this work for blush or bronzer although it's a little bit too dense for those purposes, so be careful of not applying too much. It's soft, I would definitely recommend this, for the price and the quality that you get it's a bargain.

on 11/30/2014 10:48:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

At first I wasn't that into this brush, mainly because I was so into the buffing brush by Sam. The expert face brush is more suited to liquid foundation and creams. The buffing brush more suited to powders, HOWEVER you can use them for all, they are that versatile. The size is perfect and all foundations blend really quickly, it makes light work of everything.

on 11/27/2014 6:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

This is a great brush for applying cream or liquid foundation. I also occasionally use it for cream blush.

It's dense, but not too dense so you can build the coverage up and buff as needed. It has an oval shape with a rounded top which makes it a good size for covering your entire face and also getting into all the little nooks and crannies around your nose.

I've owned this brush for over a year and with regular washing I haven't lost any bristles. I definitely recommend this if you use liquid/cream products and like using a brush to apply

on 11/24/2014 3:35:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I typically use sponges/fingers for my TM or foundation. I tested this with my Superbalanced makeup and I found that I didn't like the application at all, it was very streaky and in no way even. I got much better results with the cheaper drugstore sponge wedges. It does pick up and absorb a lot of product.

I do find it works very well for applying my MAC CCB, which I use as a blush. I have a very tightly pressed highlighting powder that it also picks up quite nicely.

For applying anything liquid I don't like this brush and will not use it for that.

on 11/20/2014 4:02:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Like all RT brushes, this one rocks beyond explanation and far beyond and above what one would expect for the price... Like all RT brushes I have purchased, this works way better for cosmetic applications it isn't advertised for.

So this is supposed to be a foundation brush? How is that - I really would like to know. It's way too small and dense for that, at lease for my fat face. While it does work for foundation and will provide a fresh flawless appearance its way more suited for "spot" foundation application, not all over. When I tried to use it for contouring, blush, and even highlighting and it worked like a charm! Somehow it manages to pick up/apply just the right touch of color, even using the most opaque products requiring major blending out. It takes the work out of applications and precision, it's awesome.

I can't in good conscious give this 5 stars because it really should be a bit bigger for use use as an all over foundation brush, which is how its advertized. But it def deserves 5 stars for quality and versatility!

on 11/14/2014 6:59:00 PM

I'm the kind of person that spends a lot of money on makeup and makeup tools. I normally stick to Mac brushes. However, after the last Mac brush was hardly amazing (too many bristles falling out) I thought I'd try something like this. I AM IN LOVE. I never reach for my Mac brushes, this is softer and I get no hairs shedding with this and it's nice to know its synthetic yet so great. Blends very evenly, feels great and is cheap. Do give it a try especially if you're on a budget.

on 11/14/2014 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've never been a really big brush girl. I had Alima and EM brushes when I went through a mineral makeup phase, then bought some Ecotools brushes, but brushes weren't something I was passionate about or thought I really needed. Plus in Australia, all the half decent brushes (MAC etc) are very expensive. Then when I discovered Pixiwoo I rethought this (and all my makeup techniques!) and bought several of the RT brushes, including the Expert Face Brush.
This is a fantastic brush that I use for applying foundation and no matter which foundation I use (I rotate through a few different liquids atm, being By Terry Sheer Expert, By Terry Cover Expert, Clinique Superbalanced and Ellis Faas), after applying and then buffing foundation in with this brush, my skin looks amazing, and dare I say, airbrushed. I use it by putting a small amount of foundation on the back of my hand, then put the brush in the foundation, then apply and buff it into my face. The bristles are soft, yet firm enough to be able to buff in product properly so that it doesn't sit on the top of your face. Provides a precise coverage that is also buildable, even for a sheer foundation. I appreciate this as I have had some hormonal issues recently (nearly gone!) that have meant I've had a few pimples to cover. For better skin days or for lighter coverage I use (and love) the Buffing Brush. The Expert Face Brush also has a good feel in the hands - like it's not going to break - so I appreciate the fact that it's solid.
I've washed it a few times with liquid soap and used brush cleaner on it and it's stood up well. Still looks and feels new and has kept its shape.
For the price (about AU$20 retail although it is cheaper online), it can't be beaten.
I was overseas recently and had a delayed luggage issue and one of the first things I went out and bought in a panic was this brush. So yep, I've already repurchased!

on 11/13/2014 10:07:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I avoided buying this brush for such a long time, thinking i'd prefer the sigma F80, I eventually gave in and went to Priceline and bought this little beauty for $20 (Australia rates). Honestly, buying this brush is the best thing i've ever done for my foundation routine. The bristles are soft and movable yet firm when you start buffing, which means that they don't bend and cause a mess of the precise application. It leaves my Loreal true match makeup looking airbrushed, I have recommended this brush to all of my friends and cannot speak highly enough of it! A little background, I had the eco tools buffing brush before this and it simply doesn't hold a candle to my real techniques!

Top Rated Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Products