Marcelle BB Cream Beauty Balm

3.7

on 4/25/2012 3:19:00 PM

Pros:
Elegant packaging
Easy to use pump dispenser
Light to medium shade blends well with my skin tone (medium light)
Adequate coverage to even out redness and discoloration
Very good price point ($19.99 CND)

Cons:
The smell
Did not control oil at all, face looked really shiny after a few hrs
Adhered to dry patches of skin making them look worse, especially around the blemishes that were drying up
No SPF

Basically I felt this was more like a tinted moisturizer as opposed to a genuine BB cream. The bottle states it's for all skin types but I would be hard pressed to recommend this to someone with really oily or really dry skin. Somewhere in the middle is best. The worst part of this product is the smell, horrible, like chemical rot. I have ordered Skin79 Hot Pink BB cream and hope to have better results with that brand. I have no issues with Marcelle in general but this is not a true BB cream and should be sold as a tinted moisturizer. Also, no SPF protection in this day and age, seriously?

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product did not work for my oily skin. I tried it alone, with powder, with my foundation.. I just couldn't get it to stick on my skin. At the end of the day, I would have puddles of makeup, and bb cream all over the oily zones of my face. The packaging is nice, and the colour does seem to blend in nicely as well, but the lasting effect just wasn't there. I gave it to to my friend who has normal, non problematic skin, and she loves it. I think it really depends on the skin type.

on 4/22/2012 6:54:00 PM

Overall, I'm really loving this BB cream.

Pros:
- Lovely packaging with pump
- Reasonably priced for a BB cream
- Doesn't feel heavy on skin
- Does not accentuate dry skin
- Very buildable
- Easy to blend
- Does not break me out

Cons:
- The smell is disgusting
- Color selection is limited
- No SPF

on 4/21/2012 5:21:00 PM

Love this product, a bought both the light and the darker shade and mix them together. Goes on beautifully ( I use my beauty blender when applying) and it has replaced my regular foundation. I find it gives good coverage and covers my sometimes blotchy skin (redness). My only negative is I don't think it has sun protection so I use my Murad oil free cream with SPF15 in it before putting this on, but I did that with my regular foundation any way.

on 4/17/2012 12:08:00 PM

I guess I would buy this again....I do like it but it has no staying power!! It looks good when you first put it on but a couple of hours later it is all gone. I think this is great for a quick weekend no make up look, but that's it. The packaging is awesome.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I really wanted to love this, after I impulsively bought it. But after going to the dark (whitening?) side and tracking down Korean/Asian BBs, the first Canadian foray is just okay.

I don't agree with the thoughts that it's just a glorified tinted moisturizer - it definately has more coverage than any TM I've tried, and unlike any TM I've tried, this does not seem to build up anyway. I also find with my drier/combination/dehydration prone sensitive skin, this does not give a real glow the way any TM I've tried has. It is so dry that it is impossible to layer; building up with just smear the first layer. It does offer solid, medium coverage - more than a TM, but you can not build it up past what you will get.

For one who hasn't tried 'real' BBs, this is a decent stand-alone product, certainly not brilliant but no worse than any average drugstore foundation or TM on the market. However, it did not measure up to it's own claims - hence the 3 lipstick rating. This does not provide adequate moisture - I could not use this without moisturizer, but it didn't spread that well over just a basic moisturizer like Olay Complete Sensitive SPF30, LRP Hydraphase or Cetaphil lotion. It does not have a real gel texture; more like LRP Cicaplast; drier than Avene Cicalfate. The only way I can really get this to work is over a heavier primer, like LM Hydrating, the potted L'Oreal Studio Secrets, and Clarins Instant Smooth.

However, by noon, my nose & chin look OILY - and it gets worse. Truthfully, I only take blotting papers around in case someone around me needs one; this makes me oily. I can't wear this without moisturizer as it's so dry; but if I use something hydrating under it, it gets oily. I never have a real problem with things lasting on my face, but this does not. It doesn't go blotchy, but it definately wouldn't be something I reach for for long work days or in the dog days of Summer.

I'm not as bothered by some BB purists by the lack of SPF; my Lovely Girl BB by skin79 lacks SPF; so... whatever. But I am bothered by the lack of lasting power, the oily/greasy finish, and of course, the colour match could be better. I am able to salvage this with MAC Extra Light Loose Mineral Powder, or MSFN Light overtop on my N/NW10 skin, but this is very yellow-toned and quite dark in the Light-Medium shade. If you're expecting this to be an on the go easy product, and you are not in the NW/C20-30ish range, move on and save your money or Optimum Points for something better.

I did give a 5 for the packaging; after begrudgingly purchasing the Lovely Girl which is housed in a classy, mature baby-pink tube with silver stars and hearts, the Marcelle packaging is an example of modern minimalism in package design that should be heralded by comparison. In all seriousness though, the pump is effective, and surprisingly given the texture, does not clog up on me the way Chanel Mat Lumiere foundation has/had tendency to do.

All in all, it might be worth trying if you have combination/oily skin, don't mind blotting non-stop throughout the way, plan on layering this over a seperate SPF, and can find a colour match.

on 4/10/2012 11:42:00 PM

A BB cream with no SPF is like my hubby with a toolbox - lots of hype, little action. Awww, but I love him anyway.

It's not a bad BB cream per se but compared to even a basic Mischa it's would be a fail due to limited shading (light to medium is still too dark for me), less than average staying power, and no SPF. I might as well pay less for more...hey, this calls for another GMarket outing!

Wait, it has good points - the finish is pretty - dewy - and it photoshops my face a bit without covering too much. So for a fresh-faced and dainty 18 year old gal who doesn't see much sunlight that would be perfect...I guess that's who Marcelle had in mind when they came up with the 'designed for Canadian women' slogan. Heck, where are these women? I'm in Canada and I haven't seen too many of the species...we all here seem to be dashing around like mad taking care of family/school/work, sweating, oiling, covered in pimples and pores, exposed to the sun... oh horror. Marcelle, could you design something for us too? please?

on 4/9/2012 5:44:00 PM

Super bummed about this product, I was so excited to try my first BB cream.

Product is a bit dark and waaay to yellow for my fair skin tone. It made me look jaundiced. The pump is unforgivably bad and spurted cream everywhere. Why no SPF?

Not enough coverage to even my skin tone, but not enough moisture to cope with my dry skin. What's the point, really?

on 4/9/2012 4:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I'm in love! I've been using this product since its release in February and have since ditched my foundation and already purchased bottle #2 just so I know I won't run out for a long time. I can't even believe the difference in my skin's appearance when I wear this stuff. Within minutes of applying my skintone is totally evened out...I feel 10 years younger wearing this. I do sometimes use undereye concealer with this product if I feel I need it, but for the most part I feel totally comfortable just wearing the BB cream with no other foundation/concealer on my skin. I love that it just evens everything out, brightens up my skin, and is lightweight, too. Over the winter I have continued to wear my Marcelle moisturizer under the BB cream, simply because my skin is dry in the winter, but I think I'll be good with just the BB cream in the summer (though I will still apply SPF underneath). So happy I found this product AND that my sensitive skin doesn't get irritated by it!

on 4/2/2012 6:10:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Boo! I love the packaging, product and coverage, but yet another BB cream with limited shades- only 2! The pale and dark have been left out in the cold by companies, it seems. I've looked into so many and they're all significantly too dark. I'm pale yellow (Mac15, sometimes 20) and this makes me look like Magda from There's Something About Mary. Once in a while, I need a bit of bronzer on my neck to match something- this, I had to smear product all the way down to look ok. My apologies for a rant- the world is a diverse place and it feels companies develop products for target customers who are mid-beige tones. Marcelle is a Canadian company, home to the apparently most culturally diverse city in the world. Shame on you, Marcelle! I really hope they develop more inclusive lighter and darker shades, since the product is lovely- medium coverage, smooth-looking, comfortable. Too Faced, Estee Lauder, Clinique, that means you too! UPDATE: Ok, this deseves a downgrade now that I've tried real bbs. Thanfully, I live right by Koreatown in Toronto and picked up one, Charmzone Ginko, SPF 50. Now THIS is what I thought they were! SPF 50, good coverage and oil-control. And many asian bbs are pale enough for my very light, yellow skin. I couldn't find a single North American bb light enough. Sorry, slapping "bb" on a tinted moisturizer doesn't cut it. Loving the high SPF, feel and coverage!