April 17, 2014 | 1427 users online

BB Cream - Marcelle - BB Cream Beauty Balm

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2012 9:53:00 AM More reviews by albs

I love this. It provides exactly the amount of coverage that I have been looking for in a foundation (I do realize that this is not a foundation, more on that later), what I would describe as "medium coverage". I apply this with a Beauty Blender-esque sponge from Joe Fresh and top with a powder of some sort, either a loose, pressed or mineral powder. It looks natural, has a semi-matte finish when topped with a powder and it lasts! I have no prior experience with BB creams, until they started popping up in stores around me in the new year I had never seen any. I have been frustrated with foundations recently, nothing I own or buy seems to match or the finish turns too dewy on me or the coverage is too heavy/light. Even if it looks nice upon application, a glance in the mirror an hour or two later usually makes me cringe. While I can not speak to how this preforms as a BB cream, I LOVE it as a foundation. I have been using it for two weeks or more and I have noticed an improvement in my skin already, I have fewer blemishes on my cheeks. The lack of sun protection is a bit of a bummer but I don't buy my foundations with SPF in mind, I usually leave that to my moisturizer or a separate sunscreen anyway. I finally found this at a Shoppers Drug Mart on sale for about $18. It was hard to find, it was sold out at many different locations.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/12/2012 1:18:00 AM More reviews by Amazaz

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really wanted to like this cream; it has been my first BB cream and, as a woman and as a cosmetician, I was so excited to try it. On paper, it has the ingredients to do what it promises to do, and the packaging is great and hygienic (the pump). Somehow, and this is based on me wearing it twice so far, I have not seen anything useful about it, except that it does keep my T-zone shine free, and that the cream feels soft and luxurious when I apply to my skin. I find that they should have had a larger range of shades, because the way they have it, it is too restrictive to women who are really pale, or to women of color. I am very pale, with a "cool" skin tone and the Light/Medium shade makes my skin look "dirty" in the way that the wrong toned bronzer can. Add to this the fact that, in the middle of my work day (about 4 hours into it) the BB cream made my skin SO DRY and/or highlighted dry patches I did not know I had! I had to touch up areas with concealer and powder. So, for $22,95 a pop, I really do not feel this BB cream is exceptional.

However, I I found a way to use it; I love my Revlon Photoready foundation in "Vanilla", although it highlights pores by depositing luminous pigment into them, so I blended the opaque BB cream with the luminous Photoready and I obtained decent staying power, luminosity and, I hope, the anti-aging benefits that the Marcelle BB cream claims to bestow on our skins.

So, if you, like me, happen to be unhappy with the results of the Marcelle BB cream on your skin, try to blend it with your favorite foundation and see if you can use it that way. I will now repurchase however, because the point of a BB cream is to use one product to cover, moisturize and protect, and this BB cream does not even contain SPF.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/4/2012 9:55:00 PM More reviews by sisterdes

Although similar in look and finish to the estee lauder bb cream, there is one glaring oversight. It has no spf whatsoever. it's fairly easy to concoct a foundation that looks and feels great and doesn't break y ou out if there is zero broad spectrum spf.

Disappointing and unheard of in a bb cream. Garnier at least had some semblance of a token limited spectrum spf 15, but the finish was disappointing, oily and unnatural on me.

I guess I will have to keep spending for the lauder version. c'est la vie...

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2012 7:19:00 PM More reviews by Leannne

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I just got this product yesterday from Shoppers Drug Mart, on sale for 17.99, regularly 22.99. I've only used it once (today), and so far I am really liking it!

First off, it comes in a tube with a little pump, which I really like! I'm using the medium/dark which seems to be perfect for my slightly tanned skin. It goes on very smooth and conceals a lot of my rosacea, which really surprised me! If you have zits or anything, you'll probably have to use concealer, but for uneven skin tone, splotchiness or mild redness, this should do the trick! It feels very light on my skin as well, as opposed to the mask-like feeling you get when you're wearing a full coverage foundation. I'm sure I will really love this product once I've started wearing it long-term. I will update if I have a change of thought, but for now, I love this :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2012 5:40:00 PM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This product has a lot going for it but....

Like most Canadian women, I've eagerly been awaiting the arrival of BB creams, as I've read so much about how wonderful and easy they are. Last week, while I was walking through a department store, I heard an announcement about Estee Lauder BB cream and thought "Great! At last" and then promptly forgot all about it. Then, I was at the drugstore and saw an empty display stand for this BB cream from Marcelle (a small and really quite excellent Canadian company) and decided to get some but they were all sold out. A day or 2 later, and after reading the good reviews here, I saw a display in another branch of the same store and picked this up in the Light to Medium shade. Bonus - it was on sale!

This cream really does seem to "erase" pores. It looks natural and matte and does give a nice, even skin tone to my face and does a not too bad job of covering up redness and my broken capillaries though, to be honest, it doesn't feel all that much "lighter" than my regular foundations. It also has surprising "staying power" - more than I would have expected (even after a quick shower at the gym, when I towel off and towel my face, some of this product comes off on my white towel - THAT is pretty good staying power). It's not all that moisturizing for this time of year but my first thought was "It'll be GREAT in summer time". And that, my friends, is "the rub". How can a product that claims it "protects from premature aging and environmental stresses" (their own leaflet) NOT contain ANY SPF???? I'm wearing this with my Kiehl's SPF 50 sunscreen underneath it but come summer, I'd prefer not to have too many layers of product on my face when it's hot, sticky and humid. So as much as this is a nice enough product, it really doesn't meet my most basic needs for this time of year (moisture - lots of moisture) or for summer (sun screen and the more the better). Now that I've remembered about Estee Lauder's BB cream, I think I just might make my first EL purchase in something like 20 years! If Marcelle were to reformulate this so that it retained its good qualities but also included a sunscreen of at least SPF 15 (20+ would be even better), then I would certainly repurchase this but as the product is now, I would not.

FOR EVERYONE'S INFORMATION: I contacted Marcelle for clarification as to whether this product has any sunscreening effects at all (2 of the ingredients had me wondering) and they confirmed that the oxides, etc. were there strictly for colour and that this product does not provide any sun protection at all. HOWEVER - the person who wrote back to me said they do plan on launching a version WITH SPF in the future (no indication of when that "future" might be) so it might be a good idea to keep a look out in future if, like me and most others here, having sun protection in an "all in one product" is important to you. They also sent me several coupons, which was very nice too!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2012 3:21:00 PM More reviews by missglowstick

I've used this bb cream daily for two weeks prior to writing this review. This means that: 1. No breakouts!
2. I liked it enough to use it for two weeks. Which is awesome.

The pros:
- Really convenient packaging! Plastic tube with pump & clear lid. Easy to travel with and squeeze out the needed amount of product.
- Nice finish. Satin-matte finish but not dry or powdery, does not cling to flakies.
- Texture is nice, very smooth and silky. Not too thin, not too thick. Easy to apply with fingers.
- Evens out skintone, covers redness well.

The cons:
- No SPF! This is a big negative for some, myself included.
- Only TWO colour choices: Light to Medium and Medium to Dark. I don't know what the whole "self-adjusting pigments" thing is about, but…it's nonsense. The lightest shade will be too dark/yellow for anyone lighter than NW15. I find that I can get away with it, especially in the summer when I'm a bit more tanned, but it's definitely NOT a perfect match.

Overall, this is a nice BB cream. Good coverage, no breakouts & a really nice finish. However, you really have to be one of the lucky ones for whom the two available shades are made because the selection is…slim, to say the least.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/21/2012 8:38:00 PM More reviews by rebeccapang

smuge off do easily but very light and natural look so if you want to use this product DON'T TOUCH YOU FACE AFTERWARDS or else it comes off. by putting powder on top ruins the idea of a natural look so... but I really like it I try not to touch my face afterwards haha. ALSO IT SMELLS LIKE BURNT PLASTIC EWW

rated 4 of 5 on 2/17/2012 1:56:00 AM More reviews by Kolola

Let me start off by saying that I love this product but the only reason I gave it a 4 is because it doesn't contain SPF. If they made one with an SPF i would love it even more as it would be great for summer. If applied properly it evens out skin tone just the right amount to make people think you are not wearing makeup. I love the whole polished natural look. Will difinately buy again even if they don't introduce one with spf.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2012 11:16:00 AM More reviews by highrise

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Very impressed with this so far (about a week)! I cannot stand foundations, but am of an age where I do need some evening-out of my skin tone. So many other products broke me out or felt like I was wearing a mask. I'm using this (in Light-Medium) after my usual moisturizer, and as the previous reviewer mentioned it does look a little alarmingly yellow at first (which worried me as I'm cool-toned) but it really blends right into the skin and lightly buffs out splotchiness, shine, and redness. Set with a little powder, I can't even tell there's anything but a fresher-faced me. Love it.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2012 10:42:00 AM More reviews by josephine1234

I have been using this product for three days now, so it is still too early to tell how it will affect my skin in the long term. That being said, so far, so good. I am using the light-to-medium version.The claim Marcelle makes about the self-adjusting pigments seems to be legit. I am very pale, with a neutral skin tone, when I first apply the cream, it goes on a little yellow, but within a minute, the color adjusts to my own, with no problem. I see no differentiation between my skin tone and the cream, which is great because I think I am just too lazy to make sure the cream is applied perfectly so that there is no color blotching. I have combination-oily skin (t-zone), and after 8 hours of wearing this product i still saw no shine. Granted, I used a transluscent powder to set everything in place. For summer, I can see the product being suitable as moisturizer, but I live in Montreal, where the winters are cold and harsh, so I still wear my moisturizer with spf under this. From what I can tell, the bb cream really does smooth everything out while you are wearing it, but I will have to update you with regard to lasting effects both on and off. I was using Clinique Even Better Makeup SPF15, and i prefer the texture of the bb cream. I used to mix my clinique with serum so that it wouldn't cake. This does not cake at all. The coverage between the two are the same, which is amazing since Clinique is more of a foundation than a moisturizer. BB is definitely great as a makeup base, but I did not see necessity to apply foundation after use. I was happy with the coverage. Marcelle says it's non-comedogenic, and so far, I don't have any clogged pores or little white bumps as a result of use. UPDATE: 1 month later, and I am still very much enjoying this product. Still no clogged pores, application has become much easier with some experimentation, and no longer wearing any powder over it. T-zone still seems to be happy! UPDATE 2: summer came, and the oily t-zone came out in full force. I think I am going to have to abandon this until Fall. But i normally only wear liquid "foundations" or such products during winter months.