July 31, 2014 | 1349 users online

BB Cream - Marcelle - BB Cream Beauty Balm

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2012 6:10:00 AM More reviews by tigergirly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Boo! I love the packaging, product and coverage, but yet another BB cream with limited shades- only 2! The pale and dark have been left out in the cold by companies, it seems. I've looked into so many and they're all significantly too dark. I'm pale yellow (Mac15, sometimes 20) and this makes me look like Magda from There's Something About Mary. Once in a while, I need a bit of bronzer on my neck to match something- this, I had to smear product all the way down to look ok. My apologies for a rant- the world is a diverse place and it feels companies develop products for target customers who are mid-beige tones. Marcelle is a Canadian company, home to the apparently most culturally diverse city in the world. Shame on you, Marcelle! I really hope they develop more inclusive lighter and darker shades, since the product is lovely- medium coverage, smooth-looking, comfortable. Too Faced, Estee Lauder, Clinique, that means you too! UPDATE: Ok, this deseves a downgrade now that I've tried real bbs. Thanfully, I live right by Koreatown in Toronto and picked up one, Charmzone Ginko, SPF 50. Now THIS is what I thought they were! SPF 50, good coverage and oil-control. And many asian bbs are pale enough for my very light, yellow skin. I couldn't find a single North American bb light enough. Sorry, slapping "bb" on a tinted moisturizer doesn't cut it. Loving the high SPF, feel and coverage!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2012 9:59:00 PM More reviews by jm05gq

I have been using the Marcelle BB cream for about 3 weeks now, and I love it. I have very reactive skin, and avoid things with added sunscree or fragrance as I find them to be irritating.

This bb cream is very comparable in consisteny and coverage to some asian bb creams, but doesn't have sunscreen, which I view as a positive. I do use this product with a light oil free moisturizer underneath.

My skin is in good shape, with only a little redness around my nose and cheeks. This product has light to medium covereage, but I still find myself using concealer....which is normal as I use concealer with any regular foundation. There are only 2 colours to choose from light/medium and medium/dark. I use the light/medium shade and find it blends very well into my skin. I think I will even be able to use the medium/dark shade in the summer...as when I swatched it in store it is not really the dark.

Overall, I think this is a wonderful product, and I am thrilled that my skin doesn't react to it. I will definatly re- purchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/15/2012 7:56:00 PM More reviews by Peridot07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

At first I really liked this cream, but the more I used it the less I liked it. It leaves my skin looking great and does a decent job controlling oil. It blurs pores and covers redness BUT it breaks me out. It also has a strange chalky feel to it I don't like.

This product gets top marks for packaging. Stylish, functional and hygienic!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/14/2012 3:12:00 PM More reviews by YTHANNAH

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Not impressed. I was hoping to find a more economical and locally-available alternative to my Dr. Jart BB cream, which is a little too shiny for my liking, so I tried this. First problem is the lack of spf -- I really like multipurpose products because I don't have the patience to layer stuff on. Second problem is the shade. Despite choosing the lightest one, it's still too dark and too yellow for my fair skin with pink undertones. I didn't even like the pump. A few times it got a little spurty -- came close to splattering an off-white sweater once... eek. Coverage was about the same as Dr. Jart, and it started out slightly more matte but that effect didn't last.
I'll finish this tube but I won't purchase again.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/13/2012 5:17:00 PM More reviews by beauteous90

I really like this product. It minimizes my pores and covers up the redness on my skin, but I do wear a little bit of concealer on top since this is not a foundation and will not cover major imperfections. I have sensitive/combination skin and this product does not irritate my skin (no breakouts). My skin is oily on the t-zone areas and dry on the cheeks, but this bb cream does not make my skin oily nor does it flakes (since my skin is dry) when I apply it on my cheeks. It blends onto my skin nicely and smoothly, with a flawless finishing touch. This is not an alternative to foundations for those who are looking for something to cover up their freckles, acne scars, etc... It only covers minimally but I love it because it is natural on the skin, light, and does not break me out or make my dry skin flakes like other foundations.
EDIT:
I was so excited getting this bb cream at first because of all the hype around it, but after using it for a couple of weeks I realized that it wears off very fast during the day. By the end of the day it looks like I'm wearing nothing on my face. It didn't break me out in pimples, but I feel that it's clogging up my pores, since I started to develop milia around my eyes (never happened before). Sigh** highly disappointed for the price I paid and would not repurchase.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2012 9:53:00 AM More reviews by albs

I love this. It provides exactly the amount of coverage that I have been looking for in a foundation (I do realize that this is not a foundation, more on that later), what I would describe as "medium coverage". I apply this with a Beauty Blender-esque sponge from Joe Fresh and top with a powder of some sort, either a loose, pressed or mineral powder. It looks natural, has a semi-matte finish when topped with a powder and it lasts! I have no prior experience with BB creams, until they started popping up in stores around me in the new year I had never seen any. I have been frustrated with foundations recently, nothing I own or buy seems to match or the finish turns too dewy on me or the coverage is too heavy/light. Even if it looks nice upon application, a glance in the mirror an hour or two later usually makes me cringe. While I can not speak to how this preforms as a BB cream, I LOVE it as a foundation. I have been using it for two weeks or more and I have noticed an improvement in my skin already, I have fewer blemishes on my cheeks. The lack of sun protection is a bit of a bummer but I don't buy my foundations with SPF in mind, I usually leave that to my moisturizer or a separate sunscreen anyway. I finally found this at a Shoppers Drug Mart on sale for about $18. It was hard to find, it was sold out at many different locations.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/12/2012 1:18:00 AM More reviews by Amazaz

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really wanted to like this cream; it has been my first BB cream and, as a woman and as a cosmetician, I was so excited to try it. On paper, it has the ingredients to do what it promises to do, and the packaging is great and hygienic (the pump). Somehow, and this is based on me wearing it twice so far, I have not seen anything useful about it, except that it does keep my T-zone shine free, and that the cream feels soft and luxurious when I apply to my skin. I find that they should have had a larger range of shades, because the way they have it, it is too restrictive to women who are really pale, or to women of color. I am very pale, with a "cool" skin tone and the Light/Medium shade makes my skin look "dirty" in the way that the wrong toned bronzer can. Add to this the fact that, in the middle of my work day (about 4 hours into it) the BB cream made my skin SO DRY and/or highlighted dry patches I did not know I had! I had to touch up areas with concealer and powder. So, for $22,95 a pop, I really do not feel this BB cream is exceptional.

However, I I found a way to use it; I love my Revlon Photoready foundation in "Vanilla", although it highlights pores by depositing luminous pigment into them, so I blended the opaque BB cream with the luminous Photoready and I obtained decent staying power, luminosity and, I hope, the anti-aging benefits that the Marcelle BB cream claims to bestow on our skins.

So, if you, like me, happen to be unhappy with the results of the Marcelle BB cream on your skin, try to blend it with your favorite foundation and see if you can use it that way. I will now repurchase however, because the point of a BB cream is to use one product to cover, moisturize and protect, and this BB cream does not even contain SPF.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/4/2012 9:55:00 PM More reviews by sisterdes

Although similar in look and finish to the estee lauder bb cream, there is one glaring oversight. It has no spf whatsoever. it's fairly easy to concoct a foundation that looks and feels great and doesn't break y ou out if there is zero broad spectrum spf.

Disappointing and unheard of in a bb cream. Garnier at least had some semblance of a token limited spectrum spf 15, but the finish was disappointing, oily and unnatural on me.

I guess I will have to keep spending for the lauder version. c'est la vie...

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2012 7:19:00 PM More reviews by Leannne

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I just got this product yesterday from Shoppers Drug Mart, on sale for 17.99, regularly 22.99. I've only used it once (today), and so far I am really liking it!

First off, it comes in a tube with a little pump, which I really like! I'm using the medium/dark which seems to be perfect for my slightly tanned skin. It goes on very smooth and conceals a lot of my rosacea, which really surprised me! If you have zits or anything, you'll probably have to use concealer, but for uneven skin tone, splotchiness or mild redness, this should do the trick! It feels very light on my skin as well, as opposed to the mask-like feeling you get when you're wearing a full coverage foundation. I'm sure I will really love this product once I've started wearing it long-term. I will update if I have a change of thought, but for now, I love this :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2012 5:40:00 PM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This product has a lot going for it but....

Like most Canadian women, I've eagerly been awaiting the arrival of BB creams, as I've read so much about how wonderful and easy they are. Last week, while I was walking through a department store, I heard an announcement about Estee Lauder BB cream and thought "Great! At last" and then promptly forgot all about it. Then, I was at the drugstore and saw an empty display stand for this BB cream from Marcelle (a small and really quite excellent Canadian company) and decided to get some but they were all sold out. A day or 2 later, and after reading the good reviews here, I saw a display in another branch of the same store and picked this up in the Light to Medium shade. Bonus - it was on sale!

This cream really does seem to "erase" pores. It looks natural and matte and does give a nice, even skin tone to my face and does a not too bad job of covering up redness and my broken capillaries though, to be honest, it doesn't feel all that much "lighter" than my regular foundations. It also has surprising "staying power" - more than I would have expected (even after a quick shower at the gym, when I towel off and towel my face, some of this product comes off on my white towel - THAT is pretty good staying power). It's not all that moisturizing for this time of year but my first thought was "It'll be GREAT in summer time". And that, my friends, is "the rub". How can a product that claims it "protects from premature aging and environmental stresses" (their own leaflet) NOT contain ANY SPF???? I'm wearing this with my Kiehl's SPF 50 sunscreen underneath it but come summer, I'd prefer not to have too many layers of product on my face when it's hot, sticky and humid. So as much as this is a nice enough product, it really doesn't meet my most basic needs for this time of year (moisture - lots of moisture) or for summer (sun screen and the more the better). Now that I've remembered about Estee Lauder's BB cream, I think I just might make my first EL purchase in something like 20 years! If Marcelle were to reformulate this so that it retained its good qualities but also included a sunscreen of at least SPF 15 (20+ would be even better), then I would certainly repurchase this but as the product is now, I would not.

FOR EVERYONE'S INFORMATION: I contacted Marcelle for clarification as to whether this product has any sunscreening effects at all (2 of the ingredients had me wondering) and they confirmed that the oxides, etc. were there strictly for colour and that this product does not provide any sun protection at all. HOWEVER - the person who wrote back to me said they do plan on launching a version WITH SPF in the future (no indication of when that "future" might be) so it might be a good idea to keep a look out in future if, like me and most others here, having sun protection in an "all in one product" is important to you. They also sent me several coupons, which was very nice too!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No