April 16, 2014 | 1705 users online

Foundations - Rimmel - Wake Me Up

rated 4 of 5 on 7/26/2013 4:19:00 AM More reviews by Traywashere

I really like this foundation! Tried after seeing a review by Tanya Burr and I'm glad i did. Wouldn't say its my holy grail foundation but for the price it has great staying power, a nice dewy finish (without powder) and covers imperfections really well. Towards the end of the day it makes my skin slightly oily even with powder but all in all, not bad. Will purchase again.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2013 1:40:00 PM More reviews by prettydark

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got quite the tan on vacation and needed a darker foundation to suit. Tanya Burr had mentioned this and likened it to Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum which I quite love. I picked up #400 Natural Beige which is yellow enough to suit my undertones and cancels out any redness on the surface of my skin, all in all it's a great match. If I want to use this in the winter with my lighter skin tones, there may be some trial and error deciding on a shade.

I love the finish, it does look lovely and more satin finish than dewy, with medium coverage. I am using this as a 'summer' foundation, so I'm not using heavy moisturizers, no primer, and I'm not even powdering most of the time. It suits. I apply one pumpful with my fingers on clean lightly moisturized skin. I wouldn't want to use a brush to apply this.

I do not notice it rubbing off. I do not see glitter, and barely see any shimmer. I suppose, at some angles, I might see some microshimmer, but it's not an easy find. It 'hides' imperfections very well. The scent is lovely, the texture is smooth but not greasy, the packaging is great.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/23/2013 4:06:00 AM More reviews by cindygl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I used to be a pretty big fan of this foundation (I've purchased 2 more bottles after my first, just incase) but as of recently the smell starts to bother me just a tiny bit. It's not a big deal, just something I noticed. Also, for some reason if I have this foundation on for longer than about 6 hours, it starts to really irritate my eyes causing them to sting and I always end up crying. It's like it starts to slide off and the foundation thats around or even close to my eyes somehow gets in to my eyes. It's not very good when this happens to you while you're driving and you have to have your friend in the passenger seat control the steering wheel and help you pull over because you can't see/can't stop crying and cannot help it whatsoever. The shimmer isn't too bad but sometimes I feel like it can highlight any problem areas like breakouts.. I think I'm losing a bit of love over this one.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/17/2013 4:46:00 AM More reviews by bebedaffy

- Got this on sale for $10 and actually worth it!
- My skin is dry but gets oily later on in the day.
- Doesn't make my face look as dry as when i use the covergirl stay fabulous (i don't use primer cos i don't have one right now, would it make a difference though? I only moisturise before, but use setting powder afterwards)
- There is a sheen after application which is nice :)
- But!! transfers soo easily.. was putting on a white shirt and there it was.. =.=
- Still dries me out just a little bit but better than cg :)

OVERALL, it's a great foundation!! :) my go to one at the moment.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2013 2:14:00 AM More reviews by staciarose22

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Various UK bloggers wrote about it over a year ago and since then word of mouth has spread all over the world. The allure of this is it's not sold in the USA (a very large market), and it may never be sold here. There are quite a few Rimmel products that are UK/Europe exclusives. I got tired of the wait, so I ordered it through Asos. Order it only when it's on sale for $10, because $15 seems very overpriced. Plenty of high end foundations have shimmer particles that create a dewy sheen effect, so don't be put off by it. I think this is best for dry, normal, or combination skin types who want medium coverage that is never cakey. It blends well and sets on the skin nicely. The bottle is a good design with a pump, and the scent is nice and not offensive. I can see the appeal and why it's so popular. The cons--keep in mind that Rimmel foundations tend to oxidize, so order a shade lighter if you feel your skin tone will change after the summer. Many people also need a pump and a half to cover their face because your skin absorbs this quickly. Your favorite primer will help with that. I am not fair/porcelain toned and I ordered Ivory, which is the lightest shade. Other women have mentioned Ivory is too dark for them.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2013 7:30:00 AM More reviews by Emilygig

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

The foundation is over all pretty good.
One day at Big W I saw the bright orange lid and picked it up thinking why not. The shade I chose was 100 Ivory, took it home and started watching some reviews/demos and everyone said they loved it!!! Only problem is that I told my friend that I brought it and she went crazy, she actually told me not to get it because it is to dark for her (we are both pale). I used the foundation for the next few weeks until I went to Mac and purchased the Studio Sculpt in NC20.
It ended up being just too dark/orangey to get away with, it will be perfect in summer when I get a bit of a tan.
I might give it another go and try it in 200 soft Beige

PROS:
Medium coverage which is very buildable without feeling cakey.
I love the smell.
Packeting, the lid and sleekness of the bottle.
It really makes you look awake

CONS:
Colour options
When my skin is really bad, blemish show thru.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/10/2013 9:09:00 PM More reviews by AshKay

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this foundation at Woolies on a whim. It was the last bottle on the shelf and I did not expect the colour "Soft Beige" to be perfect, but close enough to my MAC NC20 colouring. I was drawn to the bright orange packaging and the pump top. I was greatly surprised by this foundation. I have somewhat dry 40 something skin with light melasma on my forehead, cheeks and upper lip and expect foundation to cover it without being cakey or mask-like or settling in fine lines around the eyes and on my forehead (a tall order). I find my staple foundation MAC studio fix to do a great job in providing flawless coverage, but find it a tad thick and by the end of the day, my skin looks "thirsty" and dry. My husband also complains that it looks "made up" and does not let my natural skin lustre shine through.

The Rimmel Wake Me foundation achieves the impossible! The "soft beige" is a perfect colour match for my NC 20 neutral, light olive complexion without the slight yellow hue that Studio Fix NC 20 leaves (or the slightly pink hue of the NW 20).
The coverage is medium to full depending on application and leaves a natural, slightly dewy finish. Ordinarily I personally do not like a dewy "wet" finish as I tend to touch my face a lot and end up with foundation on everything like my phone, computer etc. I find that I can overcome this if I set this foundation with my MAC Mineralise Skin Finish and achieve a polished yet natural looking finish. I find after a few hours my skin still looks great and natural without the dryness and my fine lines around the eyes do not seem accentuated by the foundation.
I also find it photographs really well and my skin looked glowing in the photograph which it does not normally do.
I am not sure how this foundation would perform for you ladies with oily skin or those with a oily T zone, so limit my praises for this foundation to ladies with similar age and skin.
All in all a great foundation for us over 40 ladies with dry skin and other skin issues such as fine lines, dull skin tone or sun/melasma spots. Give it a try and as a bonus it's cheap!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/8/2013 12:19:00 PM More reviews by etternax

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The best thing about this foundation is the colour match for me. Soft beige (NC25-27). Suitable for normal, dry, combination skin as has a dewy finish. Oily skin might want to get something else or use a primer and set with powder. Great for people with flaking issues as this is great for hiding imperfections. Not a fan of the orange slanted lid though!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/4/2013 8:21:00 PM More reviews by ixSNOWBUNNYx3

First of all, I do like the brand (Rimmel), but since it's me (I have deadly oily skin and I do have acne), I'm not a big fan of foundations, period.

I bought one just to kinda try out foundations, and I got this one a shade or two darker than my skin tone, and this really helps my skin glow. The foundation has a great scent (as expected from Rimmel :D), and it does come with a bit of sparkle. It applies flawlessly, but I don't think the foundation is pigmented enough for me, if you want coverage, you have to get coverage. If you don't have much to cover up- this is a great foundation for you.

It does look a bit cakey once you apply too much, so I do recommend setting with a powder, I find that helpful when you do have a cakey foundation. The foundation works well if you plan to layer anything (bronzer/blush) over it, so overall good quality for a good price.

EDIT:

Wow... I totally wasn't in my right mind when I picked up this foundation... I bought the 400 beige, and its 3 tones darker than what my actually skin tone is!! Wowie!

I'm definitely going back to get the right shade!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2013 11:14:00 PM More reviews by MilenaBR

Best way to apply it: I like to use my hands with this one.

Texture: a little bit on the thick side, but very blendable and smooth, and does not feel heavy on the skin at all.

Finish: dewy, natural, glowy (very beautiful, not shimmery or oily, just glowy)

Coverage: a good medium

Color match: Unfortunately, I got it in the wrong shade. I'm NC30-ish and 201 Classic Beige was too pink toned for me, maybe a bit dark, too. I should have gone for 200 Soft Beige, instead.

Does it oxidize? No

Skin type: combination/dry

Smell: Yes. I don't love it (like the Bourjois Healthy Mix one), but it doesn't bother me either.

Longevity: I'd say around 7 hours, on a regular day.

Does it break you up? No

Overall rating (1 to 5): 5 (I'm not taking a lippy for choosing the wrong color. I could, for the limited shade range, but I like it too much, it deserves 5)

Will you repurchase it? Yes

Overall, I love this foundation and I almost ordered another shade as soon as it arrived in the mail. I controlled myself because I have far too many foundations to finish before I even think about getting a new one. I would highly recommend it (except for oily skin types, that might find the glowy aspect undesirable.