April 24, 2014 | 1905 users online

Pressed Powders - New York Color - Pressed Translucent Powder

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2009 5:13:00 PM More reviews by lukki7ster

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I saw a review on youtube so i had to try it

It absorbs oil very nicely, and it doesnt leave me looking ashy like I thought translucent powder THIS LIGHT would have. I got this on sale at Rexall/Pharma plus in Canada for under $3

amazing yes i will continue to purchase this

rated 3 of 5 on 10/2/2009 7:43:00 PM More reviews by petitepoire

this stuff makes me ashamed for buying high end powders! first of all i have normal/combination skin. the only thing i use powder for is for blotting, mostly t-zone. and for $2.74+tax at Target, this stuff is a steal! i looked at the ingredients before i bought it because sometimes i'm paranoid about cheaper brand putting random crap and this powder has almost identical ingredients to MAC Blot Powder! for a fraction of the price! and the translucent is very similar to mac blot powder in light. to me the powder isn't totally translucent when you apply it with a sponge. you can kinda see a light cast on the skin but once it's settled, it's fine. you don't see it at all. i found that applying with a brush is the best. it didn't leave a cast at all. i haven't broken out from it yet. but i did find that when i first opened it, it smelled kinda like nail polish which was gross. but after i used it a few more times, the smell was gone. i think the smell was just on the top layer or from the packaging. it works really well at controlling oil. the sponge it comes with is crap. i tossed it. the compact it comes in is crap too. it's a folded over plastic compact. it doesn't have a hinge closure so i find that the sides don't completely meet when it's closed so the powder can potentially make a mess in your purse. so what i did was i depanned it and popped it into my empty stila powder compact. depanning it was a total pain! mostly because, most drug store brand powders don't have a hole on the bottom of the compact for you to pop the pan out. so i tried just flexing the plastic to try to pop it out(the compact plastic is a little flexible) but i just got frustrated with it so... this sounds a little crazy and like a lot of work just to depan, but i took a utility knife to the back of the compact. and cut off enough plastic to get to the pan and pop it out. overall, i would buy this again. it's soo cheap and does the same thing as the high end brands. and you can always depan it from the crappy compact.

EDIT: it tends to sit in lines and cake up. i wouldn't buy it again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2009 12:31:00 PM More reviews by Lyaana

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

Not bad forb $2 bucks. Amost as good as the expensive stuff! This powder will give you a slight cast and can't keep all the oilie away. At this point Mac's Blot Powder or LM are still my favorite powders!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2009 9:42:00 PM More reviews by gabbster123

is very good at controlling oil and very translucent. very plesant purchase will buy again!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2009 4:00:00 AM More reviews by jrm1862

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This works really well; better than what I expected. I put it over my foundation and it controls my oily skin for hours. I have tan skin and this does not make it look white or chalky, it just blends into the color of my foundation. I do not use the cheap sponge it comes with but I use a kabuki brush or a powder brush. This is such a great value; why buy more expensive brands when you don't have to.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/19/2009 10:27:00 AM More reviews by taciturnxlove

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this yesterday for about 3 dollars at Rite Aid. At first I was scared it would make me look lighter since I'm currently an NC50. But as long as you blend it in the powder in, you won't change color. At first I thought it would be a setting powder for my liquid foundation, but then I found out that it was more of a blotting powder. I put this over my oily forehead and it absorbed the oils. It also helped to keep them away for a little bit, but not for long. But for 2 dollars, this is a good product. I haven't tried it over makeup though, so I'll update when I do.

Pros:
-Good quality
-Dirt Cheap
-Oil-Absorbing
-Comes with a sponge applicator

Cons:
Bad/Ugly Packaging
Bad quality sponge applicator

UPDATE: After dropping this a few times, I had to toss it since the product broke in the pan. Due to crappy packaging, I won't be repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2009 12:13:00 PM More reviews by AngelaQoQ

In my opinion, this beats MAC blot powder because it's much more natural and it's dirt cheap . Although it is not as absorbent as MAC BP, it controls oil quite well and looks much less powdery &.stiff on skin. It gives me a flawless soft matte finish. At this price point, I didn't expect it's fine-milled and has such good quality. I'm NC 25 and I use translucent, which I believe is also suitable for fair and light skin because it's almost transparent. It contains a few very basic, no nonsense ingredients that are non-comedogenic. My skin is super acne-prone, but this doesn't break me out. Normally, I just dust it on my face using a powder brush. I couldn't believe I've finished a complete compact because it's very unusual for me to finish a powder completely. Yes, it is true that the package is cheap, but as long as the product itself is good enough, I can forgive that. Not mention that the price is only 1/10 of MAC BP's. Anyway, I purchased another three: one in my office, one at home and one in my purse. Great find on MUA!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/21/2009 7:02:00 PM More reviews by i_heart_ck_ls_of_nb

This is my HG touch-up powder! After using this powder, I look fresh, the oil on my t-zone has vanished, and I don't look cakey at all!
I only wear concealer to cover any blemishes and powder to hide my oiliness, and with this product, I think that's all I'm going to need :)

Update: They stopped carrying this where I live, they only sell it in "silky beige" now, so I've started using Rimmel's Stay Matte Pressed Powder in Transparent. (I've already written a review on it :))
I must say, my new HG beats this by at least a million miles! This NYC powder is now going down to 3 lippies.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2009 4:51:00 PM More reviews by GoldenVenissa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been looking for a pressed powder to wear either alone (w/ concealer) or as a setting powder for my liquid foundation. I have dry, dry skin so I find many powder make me skin look and feel even drier and can accent the very fine lines I naturally have.

I purchased this for $2.57 CAD at WalMart, after being recommended it on the MU board. I'm glad they did. It has a nice, light texture to it and did not appear powdery or cakey.

It has little fragrance, which was a nice surprise. I did not have any issues with the packaging, however, I did toss the pink sponge out.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2009 10:53:00 PM More reviews by aterrebonne

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've used this pressed powder in translucent for about three years now. It is awesome! I've heard that it is comparable to MAC Blot powder, but I have never tried the Blot powder, so I can't compare the two.

Here is what I do know...this product works. It never looks cakey. I use it all throughout the day and it always makes my face look fresh. Oh, I live in South Louisiana, too. So, that says something about the effectiveness of this product right there! Also, it is cheap! I think it is about two bucks at CVS. Great price for something that works this well.

The packaging is crap. I guess we can't be too picky for something that only cost two bucks. Also, the applicator that comes with it is worthless. Do yourself a big favor and toss it as soon as possible and get yourself some of those flocked sponges that they sell at CVS or any other drugstore.

All in all, this powder is wonderful and I have and will continue to purchase it.