December 17, 2014 | 1661 users online

Foundations - Tarte - Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full-Coverage Foundation SPF 15

rated 4 of 5 on 5/9/2014 9:47:00 PM More reviews by StephanieM92

This is the best full-coverage foundation that I have found (I've tried 8+). It definitely does what is says and lasts 12 full hours, even in the summer when I get quite oily. My skin seemed to tolerate it quite well. I have hormonal/cystic acne and it doesn't cause me to break out any worse. I have uneven skin texture from acne scars and this foundation makes my skin look flawless. does have a thick consistency, but nothing too terrible. I do recommended using a brush or a sponge to apply, as it is a bit difficult to blend. It does cling to dry skin though and make dry areas look especially flaky so moisturizer and/or a primer is a must if you have dry skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/8/2014 11:07:00 AM More reviews by missxcindii

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

You know its bad when the only thing you liked about a product was the packaging. The foundation itself is a really weird texture. It's like a mousse whipped grainy look to it, it's hard to explain. Bottom line is it comes off completely cakey and clings to any and all dry patches. I had originally bought fair sand, wore it twice, I thought maybe it was just too light, so I purchased light sand, wore it twice, returned both. Totally transferable, feels heavy and oily, completely sheers out to zero coverage. This foundation is $38 dollars, definitely not worth it. I could imagine this working out for someone with near flawless skin with zero oil. I find this very difficult to work with on problematic skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/29/2014 7:50:00 AM More reviews by EternalRose

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is a so-so foundation. I have combo/dry skin, with a lot of oil in my t-zone but this winter has left my cheeks and the area around my mouth quite dry. That being said, you definitely need to moisturize well with this foundation. I find that I cannot layer it very easily because it ends up looking too obvious and chalky. I also think that this is not a true full coverage foundation (that is not what I was looking for anyway, but if you buy this thinking it is, you may be disappointed). When I get the occasional blemish, I still need to add quite a bit of concealer on top of the foundation to really cover it. It has a strange mousse- like texture that takes some getting used to if you generally use liquid foundations.

It also does not really stay 12 hours on my skin. Around the 4 hour mark it starts to fade around the edges of my nose, but also tends to settle in those little creases.

I do love the matte finish and the fact that it is some ingredients beneficial for your skin. When I'm having a good skin day and I am very well hydrated, this looks quite nice. But it's difficult to work with daily when i'm getting ready for work. I'll use up the tube but would probably not re-purchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/28/2014 3:58:00 PM More reviews by LaurenMA

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I think I might have FINALLY found my HG foundation. And I have tried quite a handful, both high-end and drugstore (Revlon CS, Revlon CS Whipped, Rimmel Lasting Finish, Bare Minerals, Laura Mercier Silk Creme, MakeUp Forever HD, Urban Decay, Estee Lauder DW), to name a few.

Before I dive into my full review, some background about my skin: I have light golden olive skin (NC20ish currently), my skin gets pretty light and grey-looking in the winter (ew) but I tan very easily and nicely in the summer. My skin is combination and acne prone, I get quite oily in my T-zone all year round but quite dry on my cheeks and around my mouth and eyes in the winter. Finding the right products for my skin is always a challenge.

THE PAST: I was a loyal Bare Minerals user for years, it was the first foundation I fell in love with and we had a good run but as I grew out of my teen years I began to realize that it looked cakey on my skin and was rather drying - whether I was oblivious to those things the entire time I wore it or whether my skin changed with age, I don't know, but I fell out of love with it about a year ago. Ever since, I have been on the search for a compatible liquid foundation.

THE PRESENT: My skin is acne prone and pretty sensitive, though as I grew out of being a care-free teenager I also began to realize how important it is to take care of your skin.
Makeup is only going to look as good as the skin underneath it. I am very strict on my skincare and face cleansing, I ALWAYS remove my makeup before bed no matter how tired I am, even if that means half-assing it and using only a makeup wipe. ALWAYS take off your makeup before bed, always. Even with my diligent skincare routine I still get random small pimples and occasional nasty, large cystic bumps but my skin is now nearly flake free and blemish free, I think in large part thanks to finally taking proper care of my skin.

My go-to foundation as of late has been Laura Mercier Silk Creme or Urban Decay Naked, neither of which I am totally in love with. I love the silky texture and coverage that LM provides but it's staying power doesn't really impress me even with a good primer and Skindinavia setting spray - it just doesn't last around my T zone and begins to fade around my jaw by midday. I do expect a lot out of my foundation but staying power is a MUST for me. The Urban Decay naked feels truly naked, which I love, but it is too sheer for me for most days. On good skin days I can be confident wearing it but that's rare, the color I have (4.0) is too dark for my pale skin at the moment also, it looks splotchy as it wears because the shade and my skintone are so different right now. I think the color match will be perfect mid-summer when my skin is tan. The UD staying power isn't the greatest either, it rubs off on everything and doesn't last all day. I plan to use it in the summer for light coverage on days when I am only running short errands and don't need it to last for a full day of work.

This is getting long-winded and I apologize but I always enjoy reading long in-depth reviews of a product when I am really interested in it before I decide to buy it.

THE HOLY GRAIL (maybe): In comes Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full Coverage Foundation (that's a mouthful). I have considered trying this for a while but just never bothered to buy it and tried Urban Decay Naked and LM-SC instead. When I wasn't completely enthuse with either of those, my search began again. On a whim, I recently purchased Tarte BB 12-hour Tinted Primer in Light and fell in love with it. I don't usually buy things on a whim but I'm so glad I did. It has amazing coverage for a BB cream, a silky feel, and it provided a good, even base for my LM-SC - but that's another review. Anyways, the point is that Tarte's BB primer introduced me to the Tarte line and after being so pleased with the primer, I decided to bite the bullet and buy the foundation. I currently wear the 12-hour foundation in Light Sand and it is the closest match that I have ever found for my light golden olive skin - that alone really impressed me! It is almost on the edge of being too light and as the weather continues to get warmer and my skin continues to warm up, I will have to sooner rather than later move on to Light Medium Sand - I am hoping that will match my summer skin just as well as Light Sand matches my winter skin.
Aside from the tone matching so closely, I love the feel and finish of this foundation, it is comparable in feel to Laura Mercier Silk Creme but I feel that it stays matte longer on my skin and is easier to blend and looks more natural, + the color is better for me. After I apply my toner, moisturizer, and primer, I apply the Tarte AC foundation in small dots to my face, blending and smoothing it out with my fingers. I find that the warmth of my fingers helps melt the product into my skin. I then use a damp BB sponge to tap gently over the top to blur any finger marks or smudges. I typically only have to apply one layer of foundation to get my desired Medium+ coverage, and build up a second light layer in trouble spots. I finish off with Skindinavia setting spray and then move on to my bronzer/blush, etc. I get flawless, natural, semi-satin coverage that lasts a good 10 hours with minimal to no touch-ups, I am SO impressed with this foundation and I am very rarely impressed by much, especially cosmetics! I could keep going but I'm sure your eyes are bleeding by now if you made it this far.

THE END: Some people say that this foundation is expensive but I will gladly splurge on foundation if it works because the key to great makeup is a great canvas and I do believe you get what you pay for, especially with this foundation. Plus, it's .7 ounces larger than typical foundations... 1.7 ounces will set you back about $38 USD but you get almost twice as much product! For me that's a GREAT deal and more than worth it. It may not work for everyone but it works fo

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2014 12:54:00 PM More reviews by coconaut

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

Ah, how tedious the search for the perfect foundation is. So far, this one's my HG for these reasons:

PROS
- Doesn't look cakey, even without applying primer first
- Perfect tone for me (although this is a very personal reason)
- Blends in majestically with my bronzer, concealer, etc.
- Actually long-lasting

I can't tell you how perfect this tone (Tan) is for me. It looks closest to my natural skin tone and even gives me a VERY SUBTLE looking tanned appearance.

CONs
- Feels a little heavy

The only con, aside from the price, is that it felt heavy enough to clog my pores. I already have a bit of acne cosmetica, so for a month or two I switched to the 4-in-1 Pressed Mineral Foundation by Pr Minerals, as I was told by the Ulta consultant that it was more lightweight than this one. It just wasn't the same. Tone was off and didn't settle into my skin as well.

Oh well. The struggle of choosing between having clean, clear skin or looking temporarily nice when I leave my house continues.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/22/2014 6:52:00 PM More reviews by makeuplover1018

I love this foundation! perfect for acne prone skin! no parabens or harsh chemicals :)
I bought the brush that is suggested for this foundation. I have realized that i tend to use to much product with that brush. Has anyone tried applying it with their hands? It works very well as odd as that sounds. Overall this is an amazing foundation. I would say it is medium coverage. It has more pink undertones than yellow so watch out for that one! It is amazing for oily skin. It controls the oils and does not accentuate dry patches either!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2014 12:25:00 AM More reviews by lipstiklover

This may just be my new HG foundation..
I have been using this for a month now, I had just switched from my old foundation which was making me break out horribly, and thank goodness I found this! So the texture is like a thick mousse which feels really lovely and airy on the skin. I'd never tried a foundation with a mousse consistency before so this was a pleasant surprise for me. I apply it with a damp beauty blender and it looks beautiful. The coverage is medium. I have huge pores and acne- prone skin with hyper pigmentation scars and this does a great job of camouflaging without covering too much and making me look fake and cakey. I have oily skin and this lasts all day. Lasts about 9 hours, 12 hours on a good day. Definitely recommend this to anyone with oily skin looking for decent coverage.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/19/2014 12:05:00 PM More reviews by ashmaaa

It was such a cakey disaster when i applied with my regular flat-top foundation brush (bare minerals precise angle) i hated it. It looked like i has put on a mask and this made me really sad because the formula and shade were perfect for me. Anyways i tried again with a damp sponge and it was perfect! Not as full a coverage as with a brush but that also meant not cakey. I had it on for literally 12 hours and it lasted me the whole day with no touch-ups! Just a little blotting with tissue after 10 hours. Btw im usually nw25 and i have this in the shade light sand. Fair skin with yellow undertones.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/15/2014 3:19:00 PM More reviews by medarrah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really liked how well it went on; it was nice and smooth and it did last all day. You know how I could tell? Because even the lightest shade was still too dark for me. I was actually waiting for it to start rubbing off. Had to return, very disappointing.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/15/2014 12:30:00 PM More reviews by Nurica88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased in an attempt to find something that is heavier coverage than clinique acne/sensitive foundation.
I was told it is great for both sensitive and oily skin and they WEREN'T LYING!
It is rare to find something that my skin doesnt react to, so i do love this product BUT
1-it is VERY thick. more full cvg than i originally wanted
2- i think it is VERY expensive.

that being said, it has lasted a few months so far. The tube however is difficult to get the last bit of product out of it so a lot goes to waste.