I love Tarte for my acne-prone, oily skin. I find their produce to have great coverage and to not inflame or irritate my skin. I wish it were a little cheaper, of course. Sometimes I mix the foundation with my favorite Clinique moisturizer to make a tinted moisturizer, depending on how bad my skin is that week.
I'm moderately conflicted about this foundation. I have this foundation in Tan. I saw some reviews online and thought - THAT foundation is for me! But I can't say I'll repurchase.
- The finish is perfect. If you like a matte foundation, it's definitely got that going for it.
- It's a great foundation formula. The consistency is nice and creamy. It doesn't run, it doesn't separate. When you apply it, it's very controlled. It doesn't dry too quickly, so you can easily blend it out.
- It doesn't feel too thick on the skin. You might be put off originally before you blend it out. But once you begin to blend, it blends evenly and nicely.
- The packaging is nice. It has Tarte's nice wooden lid as an accent. Comes in my favorite type of packaging (a tube). Overall, it's just pretty.
- It IS long wearing - but DOES need a setting powder. It will separate on the skin after 6+ hours. I work in an office all day, and it will begin to look patchy all over, not just in oily areas. It is transfer resistant I noticed.
- It isn't actually full coverage. When I think of full coverage, first I think of Revlon Colorstay - which covers everything within the first coat. I also think of Kat Von D's tattoo foundation, which though isnt my favorite, is a full coverage foundation. I don't have any dark discolorations or scarring, but I do have a few light freckles cheeks. This foundation doesn't cover them. It applies and feels like a full coverage foundation, but up close, isn't. It doesn't leave you flawless. I'd call it medium-buildable coverage. To some people this isn't a con, but if you pay $40 for a FULL coverage foundation, you expect to get it, ya know?
- This is a personal con for me, but I figured I'd mention it. I have tan skin, so I purchased the Tan. The deepness of the foundation matches me, but it is a bit yellow. It could be worse, I know, it could be orange. It is easily counteracted by powder and after contour, bronzer, and blush, you can no longer tell.
- It's pricey for what you get. I seem to have an issue with foundations of a higher cost. Maybe it's because there are some great drug store foundations, like Rimmel London Lasting Finish foundation (great one), and Revlon Colorstay. I just expect a lot from a high end foundation because it's often more than 3x the price. There has only been one foundation I believe is worth the price and it's MUFE HD. This one I can't say the same.
Overall, I will enjoy the remainder of this tube, but I won't repurchase. It's just too expensive and I don't think it's really worth it. I can't say 'STAY AWAY!' because it's not THAT bad. If you have $40 at your dispense and feel it's worth it, try it for yourself and maybe the pros will outweigh the cons.
I LOVE this foundation. The only reason this is getting a 4 is that I am the color of a non-sparkly Cullen, and this is a bit dark for me. Aside from my lack of pigmentation, I am rosy and have an oily t-zone, I apply with my fingers or a flat top Kabuki for medium, long-lasting coverage. This is not matte unless powdered, but a nice, natural satin finish when not overly applied. I don't look made up, I look better, which is my goal for any foundation,I use with the AMAZING BB Primer in the Tarte line and finish with an Urban Decay setting spray instead of powder for a less obvious look.
I have tried many foundations, and have nothing to compare the product to, as the texture and final finish are very unique. Don't be scared away by the idea of it being full coverage, depending on application a light to medium look is easily achievable with lasting results.
This product is amazing for oily skinned people. I have the shade Tan and fluctuate between a medium to a medium-dark skin tone. It is definitely a fuller coverage foundation that is great for people who need heavy duty staying power for competitions and such. It looks great in all lights, but might be a little heavy for the daytime. It is very thick and takes a little more blending than most liquid foundations, but it is worth it because the final look is very flawless. I did not have to blot like I usually do when I wear any type of face makeup. The only con I can think of is that there are only 8 shades. I got the 6th one, but if you don't have the undertone the shade closest to your skin has, you're out of luck. Also, it has titanium dioxide which flashes back in pictures. I like blending all foundation in with my fingers, as you get more control and a natural look, but a traditional foundation brush works well, too. All in all, it's a great product.
What can I say - I am a foundation junkie have tried so many foundations from drug store to high end and this foundation is almost perfect. The coverage is there without it feeling heavy and it does stay on for a remarkably long time. I am covering some acne scarring and it is great. I like to apply using the cargo Magic Brush (which I have misplaced and am so very sad as it's a $35 brush :(.)....buffing with a brush makes a world of difference.
I think I can stop looking for a foundation with this being the best I've had and happy about that.
I was doing my "I need a newer and better fdtn" search again when I read the reviews on this product. I wish I did not buy this! The coverage is definitely medium/full coverage. The color matched my skin tone perfectly...but it just felt dirty. I don't know how else to explain it except my face felt gross every time I wore it. However I continued to wear it a full two weeks because my face didn't turn red or get itchy/irritated...at first. Then, the cystic acne around my chin/mouth came. And after this it was all over. Tiny pimples on my forehead, sides of my nose, on my temples. It was horrible. I'm guessing it will take my chin area another two weeks to recover. If you have sensitive skin, DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. If you have oily skin, DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. Your skin will continue to be oily and your face will hate you for it.
Amazing wear and coverage, I advise using a brush to apply for a airbrushed finish (I use a eco tools buffer type brush). This replaces my former HG Revlon colorstay natural in buff. Pricey but I when Tarte has a sale on their website I stock up.
I got a good size sample of this from sephora in medium.I love the texture both going on& after.feels velvety. Easy to apply.love squeeze bottle (easier to travel&for those of us with little counter space& or a husband who dosent like all that on the counter as he always knocks stuff over.lol)the color is very spot on mabey has a slight pink tone, I perfer it to have a more yellow tone but it isnt bad at all, I find drugstore foundations to be a lot more pinky or orange on my light-med olive skin color. I can live with this.I didnt find it to last 12 hours mabey 6/7hours(but i didnt apply primer as i was on a trip&my primer was in the trunk already).the coverage is very nice& you get a almost flawless face without looking fake.didnt feel too heavy but I could feel it, felt like my skin does after wearing a clay treatment mask.smelled good ¬ makeupy.didnt make my dry spots look worse (corners of my nose is really dry lately) I found it to give a glowy, luminous?but not dewy look to my skin.I am not very oily, I tend to glow a bit but thats it.I have large pores on my nose,cheeks&forehead and this made them disapper& didnt do what nars sheer glow did wich was sink into my pores&made it look like I had little yellow spots all over.it did hold up fine in brezzy 80/90 degree weather. Overall I really really like this foundation&this will probly be in my rotation for a good while.
I really wanted to love this product but so far can only give 4 stars...
I am currently trying to switch to all paraben free skin scare (the more natural, the better), so I figured since a foundation is something that is going to be on my skin for a long time I need to get something that is as natural as possible.
What I do love about this foundation is that it stays true to colors. I am about NC 20 but self-tan during the summer months, so I purchased this in Light keeping in mind that I also use bronzers and it actually looks very nice and fresh. If any of you ever tried the mineral tinted moisturizer/foundation from Aveda this foundation reminds me of it very much. It's quite thick, but spreads out quite easily without even a primer and the colors do not turn orange or beige (at least that did not happen to me and I have an oily T-zone).
Now what I do not like about this foundation is that even though it claims to be a balancing foundation it did not do any of it on my face. After changing my skin care routine my skin feels like a true combo skin type (it used to be super oily). The lactic acid that I use in cleansers truly helps the oils on my face, but I still do get an oily T-zone and some minor dry spots on the cheeks. This foundation, as soon as it settled, made my T-zone quite dewy that later on turned to oiliness and it made my dry areas look drier and more visible.
I just feel like if I pay $38 for a foundation I really don't think I need to make it WORK for me, I expect the product do all of the work without trying too hard, if that makes sence.
I don't know, maybe it is just me and I am going to apply this foundation again over a mattifying moisturizer by Caudalie soon and see if it makes a difference and will update.
This foundation just did not want to work for me in the end, what a shame..
For the same price I actually went and bought Estee Laudern's Light Double Wear foundation and got a 7 piece free gift since they were running a promotion. I know, so much for natural makeup! haha
I got this product right after Christmas and I have used it almost everyday. I have had a lot of trouble with foundations in the past. I really like that it is cruelty free (I have only been buying cruelty free products). It has a good coverage too. When I'm feeling lazy or I'm sick this provides enough coverage for me. It last a long time too. It lasted all through school and even lasted through concerts. It didn't sweat off! I really like this foundation.