August 31, 2014 | 1585 users online

Foundations - Tarte - Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full-Coverage Foundation SPF 15

rated 4 of 5 on 2/20/2014 9:32:00 PM More reviews by liannaTX

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Coverage is great, texture is great. It applies easily stippled on or with fingers. Pretty full coverage and a soft velvet finish. Covers my areas of slight pigmentation, a sunspot, veins, etc... very well. I personally hate the feel of this makeup. It is very very thick. I feel like it sits on top of my skin, instead of melting into my skin... like EL Double Wear does. The coverage is fabulous, the finish just doesn't work for me. I sill give 4 stars, because I almost love this makeup and see how it would work perfectly some people.

Edit: 6/25/14 I ran out of ELDW and have been using this. I applied with my fingers, instead of a stipple brush, and for me the lighter application is much better! The coverage is still beautiful, but I no longer get that heavy thick layer of makeup feeling on my face. It is also in the 90s here, and this makeup DOES meld into my skin and leave a beautiful finish. I don't know if it is the lighter application, or the increased oil, but the finish is almost flawless. It actually looks better as the day wears on, even if I have to blot.

My HUGE drawback, and a personal dealbreaker, is that I find that funky layer of makeup transfer on my phone. (there is that fingerprint transfer on papers too). I have seen that on other people's phone and thought "gross, clean your nasty phone"... now I know how they look that way.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2014 2:01:00 PM More reviews by lexi3324

I love this!! To be honest, I HATED it at first, that is, until I used my fake beauty blender to apply it! Its definitely buildable, and though I do get a little shiny, (but more dewy) its nothing a little primer and/or blotting sheets can't fix! It makes my skin look so flawless and natural and it definitely evens out my skin! I just got a sample and it's the wrong color, but I cant wait to buy the full size!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 2/17/2014 9:10:00 PM More reviews by bellabellabella

I was really excited to try this because I love the concealer. It looked nice on for the first few days but then I could tell it was breaking me out ALL OVER my face. I get slight pimples but this was insane. On top of that it really dried my skin out. I can't wait to get back to MUFE HD. This is going back and hopefully my skin will heal fairly quickly.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/11/2014 3:10:00 AM More reviews by lbunz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Before purchasing this foundation, I hadn't read any reviews about it. An associate at my local Sephora just recommended this product to me because of my sensitive, combination-dry, pink under toned complexion. Giving it a try in store and at home I instantly fell in love.
First off, the coverage with my Shoppers Drug Mart Quo fluffy foundation brush gives me medium coverage, but that's just enough to achieve the daily natural look I go for. I do find this foundation to be too thick depending on the moisture of my skin in the morning. Like regular routine I apply moisturizer to my face after I give it a cold water wash, but some mornings I find I need to mix half product and half aloe gel together on the back of my hand to smooth and blend the foundation better on my face.
There is no overpowering scent during application but I have noticed a thick, almost powdery smell to it. But only if your whiffing the product through the packaging.
The packaging itself is great. With the foundations flat cap, the foundation naturally sinks to where you'd squeeze out product so the logic of the packaging is there, although I would prefer to see the same foundation in a tight pump bottle.
On me an early application at 8am will last me until the end of my day around 9-10pm. So I am completely satisfied with the lasting coverage of Tarte's 12 hour foundation's.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/11/2014 2:39:00 AM More reviews by britbritmeow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This was my first time trying a Tarte foundation. This foundation was HORRIBLE for me. I was so sad that it didn't work well for me. Reading the reviews on different websites, it seemed as if women loved this product.

I ordered this product from QVC. The only 5 stars that I gave was on the packaging because I loved the ease of it and when I ordered it on QVC it also came with the brush. BONUS!

So I tried it and it didn't phase me one bit. It actually looked as if I had taken my makeup and completely just splatted my face with foundation and walked out the door. Looking up close, my skin was patchy. Some areas were covered, some weren't. When putting powder over it, it made it even worse. It was the weirdest thing.

I tried applying it without the brush, same thing. It looked a tad bit better, but not by much. You would think that with the brush, especially the brush that it's meant to be used with, it would perfect it, but it honestly just looked like a complete mess.

My mom also used it (we ordered it at the same time) and it didn't work well for her, either. Brush or no brush. Same problem(s). Maybe it's just our skin type? Either way, it was expensive and we ended up receiving a full refund from QVC.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2014 1:50:00 AM More reviews by dkt888

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was very hesitant to try this foundation because of the price. I have been using Maybelline Matte Mousse foundation for nearly 10 years. It was the only foundation that would even out my tone and not slick off due to oil.

Let me just say that I love this stuff. It's medium coverage but is buildable to full coverage. I have very fair skin with pink to neutral undertones. I got this in "fair beige," and the color is absolutely perfect. My skin looks amazing, and it stays matte for a good 9-10 hours. Plus a little bit goes a long way. I set it with Physician's Formula Organics powder (translucent light) and Tarte Smooth Operator finishing powder. I use my fingers to dab it on and spread it and a stippling foundation brush to blend it together.

Pros: this does not cling to dry patches like some foundations (it makes the dry parts looks moisturized and the oily parts look matte), it stays very matte (not for the whole 12 hours, but about 10), it has very good coverage, you don't need to use a lot, there is no funky smell, it has SPF, it doesn't transfer/rub off to my clothes or hands, and it doesn't turn orange. Best of all, it's cruelty free!

Cons: the price!. Also, I would prefer this in a jar as opposed to a squeeze bottle, but that's just me.

It is expensive, but I am a convert. I will buy this again and again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2014 4:37:00 PM More reviews by Reservechic

I bought it in the shade Medium. It came in a TSV that I bought from QVC. There was also included amongst other things, the brush that they sell that they recommend you apply it with. This foundation has sort of a weird smell to it. I find that it, if use the brush to apply it with, it doesn't go on right. And, I can't really build up coverage that way. I don't know how to get full coverage with this foundation, no matter what other methods I've tried. Also, when it sets, I sorts feel like I have this hype of clay mask on my face, as it feels drying to my skin. And, it also gives this heavy makeup feel to my face as well.

The Medium shade is a tad lighter than my actual skin. But, I still used it anyway. And, would a bit of bronze over it to help warm it up some.

I really was not very impressed with this foundation at all. The only way that I would get it again, is if it came in a Tarte TSV that offered products within it that I really wanted to try. Otherwise, I would care buy it on its own. As, it's way overpriced, and there's nothing all too special about it anyways.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/8/2014 5:39:00 PM More reviews by flowerpan10

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this in light-medium beige for pink undertones and let me say that the color is amazing. The product itself is thick, kinda mousse like and gives my face a matte finish but because of the pink undertones it allows the makeup to stay on my face without washing me out. It gives me just the right amount of healthy flush. Other than the gorgeous color payoff that's the only thing I like about this foundation. I assumed the coverage was to my liking until I compared it to my Rimmel London Stay Matte Liquid Mousse Foundation from the drugstore that was only around $5 where as the Tarte was $38 from Sephora. The Rimmel gives me flawless full coverage that makes my acne flared up face look so clean and clear. For 33 more dollars I got the Tarte which actually gave me very light almost nothing coverage. I am very disappointed now that I have compared it to a much loved drugstore foundation. Sure the tube is cute while being sanitary, the brand is awesome for being cruelty free but the coverage is enough for me to not buy it again. For something I bought that was so expensive I will probably only use it for errand running days but other than that nothing else. After going back to my much loved Rimmel foundation that was so dirt cheap and realizing how little coverage this Tarte gave me I just can't get into the whole high end brands hype. I really do take back my original review of this.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2014 4:23:00 PM More reviews by prettydarncute

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this foundation. I am 50+ have had skin problems all my life. Lots of scaring still very oily. This is the first foundation that works for ME. Just because I love it does not mean that its right for you. I went for years trying all kinds of foundation from expensive high end to drugstore brands. I was lucky enough to find this because Saphora offers ample samples enough for you to try out products for at least a week. They have me hooked. Believe me there are plenty of products I tried that were terrible for wrinkles, cover ups, lipsticks, eye shadows etc. Do yourself a favor take a trip to Sephora and try them all. Easy to return items after purchases also. Stop buying crap at the drug store!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/4/2014 7:58:00 PM More reviews by Madysen08

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really love this foundation. I was looking for something I could use instead of the Este Lauder Double Wear. I love the DW but I try really hard to use products with less crap and parabens so this was recommended to me. The color selection is great. I have fair pink undertones which I find I hard to match sometimes because a lot of foundations come out too dark and orangey. PROS- -Does NOT break me out. Which says a lot considering I have very acne prone skin and tend to fall asleep with my makeup on from time to time. (I know I'm bad). -Matches me perfectly. CONS- -If I don't prime and set my foundation it doesn't last as long as the Double Wear but that's fine and I don't mind touching up. And granted it lasts MUCH longer than most foundations. That's about it. I would definitely repurchase this. I really enjoy Tarte products.