August 20, 2014 | 1440 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Brush Collection - Eyes Starter Set

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2012 1:54:00 PM More reviews by dizzielittlerascal

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Yes, they are great brushes, and although they are a lot more expensive in the UK (er, why??) they are still very very cheap. But this does not detract from the fact that they are high end brushes! But, there are a couple of brushes I do not like using. One being the brow brush - its far too thick, and its actually not a very good brush, its just not tightly bristled/soft enough for me. I much prefer using my Benefit hard angled brush. (Yes, was going to get the MAC one, but I couldn't resist the Benefit one at 99p on eBay! lol). The pointed eyeliner one is far too wide also, so cannot get a good line for my eyeliner. I use my 212 MAC brush instead. The accent brush is also untouched - have no idea how I am going to use that. Oh, so that's most of the brushes not used lol

Still, the others are really great, and I don't actually use them for their purposes - like the deluxe crease brush is FAB for concealer under the eyes!

My MAJOR gripe with these are the fact that you have to buy them as a set. I would much rather buy separately and choose what I want to buy. I also feel there is so much packaging going on....even the stand/case is of no use to me. But hey ho - I still love them though!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2012 3:50:00 PM More reviews by MitchieCatalano

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have all the brushes that she makes! And I have to say that I love every single one of them! this set has an exact dupe of the MAC 217 but a nicer synthetic version! it also has two fluffy brushes that resemble the 224 by MAC except they DON'T shed! the liner brush isn't my favorite because it's super huge and the same goes for the brow brush! I prefer really fine thin brushes for these tasks! Overall this set is AMAZING it has high end dupes that work ten times better and they're really, really soft! I also love the accent brush for inner corner work and smoking out color on the lower lash line!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2012 1:37:00 AM More reviews by angelixia07

I was actually surprised by how much I ended up liking this brush set. I had seen it, along with the rest of the Real Techniques brushes, in my local Ulta store and was unimpressed. I didn't feel the need to have it just judging from the way the brushes looked in the packaging. I finally bought it just out of the need of a good concealer brush, which I was hoping the deluxe crease brush would be. It turned out that I love both the deluxe crease brush and the base shadow brush. They're some of my favorite brushes to work with in my collection and just those two brushes basically justified getting the entire set, even though the other brushes were not so great:

Base shadow brush-This is basically the synthetic version of the Mac 217. It is flat but rounded to a point, like the 217 but its probably slightly less dense. This is fantastic for blending cream products like eyeshadow bases or cream shadows. It would be good for concealer too if you want a light coverage. I don't like to use this as a blending brush for powder because the Mac 217 is much better for that since it's made out of natural bristles. But I love it for blending cream products, it does a fantastic job!

Deluxe crease brush-This is an unusual brush to find but it is basically a stubby but rounded brush that domes to a point. It's on the dense side and closes in shape and material to Sigma' Precision Round (P82) brush. I cannot tell you how wonderful this is for concealers. I've used this with both cream and liquid/highlighting pen type concealers and it just blends so perfectly. The shape is perfect for getting into the inner under-eye area. The synthetic bristles blends my Mac Studio Fix concealer perfectly and builds the product on well.
Accent Brush-This is a tiny round flat brush that is pretty handy for doing any detail work. It would work for concealing small areas, going under the brow with concealer to sharpen the brow, cleaning up lip lines with concealer, putting highlight in the tear-duct area, etc.

Pixel-point eyeliner brush-This is basically a bigger script style eye-line brush. It's good for building a thick line quickly. It's also good for tiny spot concealing. I mostly use it for laying down gel liner thick and quick and then softening it with a smudge brush. It's actually one of my least favorites from the set that I can do without.

Brow brush-This is probably the worst brush in the set and one that I find completely useless for any application of make-up. There's basically no good way to use this brush for anything. It's a large and thick angled brush made with the same fine synthetic taklon as the rest. It does brows quickly but with no sort of precision. If I was going for a natural fast brow, even the Mac 239 is better. It's way too thick for use as an eyeliner brush. I really don't know what they were thinking with this one.

Even though only two brushes were standout must-haves for me, I feel that for the price and how good the two brushes were, that this set is worth it. continued >>

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2012 6:05:00 AM More reviews by radhikamaze

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

These brushes are fantastic. For someone who is just starting out experimenting with eye shadows, creams and eye make up in general, I think it is a must.
I have bought several brush (including the cheap ebay) ones and, its true what they say, you really need to invest to get good quality because they will last you a long time.

These brushes are really multi-usable. They tell you the purpose, base shadow and creasing, eyeliner and eyebrow brush (which I don't need) I use to line my top line thicker.

For the sake of 20 when one MAC 217 will cost you 16, and you get 4, you can't go wrong! they are just as good quality and maybe better because of the taclon hair!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/15/2012 9:34:00 PM More reviews by Sepolayla

I have two of these because that's just the way I like to work. Overall this brush set is amazing quality for a really low price. I'll talk on the brushes individually. (But I don't have it sitting in front of me so I'm going to get the names wrong.)

Applicator brush - slightly pointed, soft enough to blend out light colours or do an initial blend. Great for application of cream products and pretty good for applying powders. Pointed end makes it easy to go under the eye and also to do a soft brow. It would be better at applying powders if it was stiffer but that would make it worse as a light blender. However, given that it comes in a kit with a designated blending brush maybe stiff would have been the better option.

Blending/crease brush - really interesting shape but does the job. Good for blending waterproof-formula pencils over the lid which is great because I often find them reluctant to move. Great for concealer as well. Could be better if it was slightly smaller, though. Don't find it great for delicately blending edges or for gradiants of depth in the crease. Brilliant for simple looks though.

Detailer brush - fantastic for smudging liner, applying smudged eyeshadow as liner and for sharp highlighting under the brows and beneath eyeliner wings. Not one for every look but does what it's asked too.

Liner brush - too thick. Has its place but, woah, is it thick. Also seems to be exclusively for use with gel or cake liner as bristles flare after cleaning. You have to roll the brush around on your product to give it a pointed tip. The packaging around the bristles contributes to that flare, I think. Would be better if there was a taper to the cartridge - I'm sure that would translate to a taper to the bristles. I was really surprised that Sam chose this design as, on pixiwoo at least, she nearly always seems to favour a fine liner brush.

Brow brush - great for everyday brows. Good angle - not too steep. Good thickness (not for drawing in individual hairs but I don't do that to my brows every day). Synthetic bristles are great with wax, powder, gel, cream, you name it. Mainly because they're not like a block of stiff plastic as some other synthetic brow brushes can be.

They're great value. The packaging of the brushes themselves is quite cute and seems to be of good quality - nothing's fallen to bits or started shedding in four months of use. Reservations about the liner brush still stand. All but the liner brush are really stand out brushes, especially for working with cream products.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2012 3:32:00 PM More reviews by mhxx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

When I saw this is my local boots I was delighted, I have been drooling over them on the Real Techniques website for a long time!

The brushes are all made of synthetic taklon bristles, making them perfect for either powder or cream products.

The set contains a carry case to store the brushes, which doubles as a stand for the brushes, very handy to see the brushes, and sits neatly on any make up table/vanity etc.

The shadow base brush is my favourite of the set. It has a similar shape to mac's 217, so is excellent to blend or apply eyeshadow, or buff in concealer.

The deluxe crease is a bit over sized for its intended purpose, however is excellent to apply a highlighter to the brow bone, or to blend out any harsh eye shadow edges.

The accent brush is a lovely little detailer brush, excellent for applying colour under the lower lash line.

The pixel point eyeliner brush I find is a bit thick to use as an eyeliner brush, specifically with gel or cream eyeliners, however because the bristles are quite firm it can be used to smudge out eyeliner.

The brow brush is just that, a firm bristled brush that does exactly what it says on the tin!

Overall I am delighted with this set! It cost me 30, which is an excellent price for such great quality brushes, but a poor conversion from the UK sterling price!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2012 10:01:00 AM More reviews by cherzleen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm WOWed by the brushes.

Back Story : I own MAC 217, 239 and 224. I also own Sigma E25 (which is the dupe version of the 217) and E40 ((which is the dupe for 224)

I believe the brushes are created with believing that everyone has already own a version of 217, 239 and 224. Either MAC version or the cheaper "imitation" Sigma products. So why make something similar to what is already out there right? Even Shu Uemura makes similar brushes to MAC.

I think Sam's assumption is right, (almost) everyone out there owns a 217. If you haven't got one.... go get the dupe version from Sigma for $9.

Enter Sam Chapman's brushes. I am in love with the brushes. Why..? firstly they are made from synthetic bristles which takes half the time to dry compared to animal hair. The aluminium ferrule makes the brushes look expensive (compared to the art class paint brush look of MAC / Sigma/ Shu).

Secondly, IT CAN DO WHAT SIGMA AND MAC BRUSHES CAN'T. It works extremely well with cream products (base shadow brush) like example Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadows. If you use the brushes on powder eye shadow, it wont lay the product as compact as a 239 but it gives a different finish than 217, which is lovely.

If you need a fluffy blending brush, go get a 224 or a Sigma E40. The deluxe crease brush works well as a blending brush and the difference is.. the finish compared to the MAC and Sigma Brushes

And yes.. the lovely Accent brush.. have you heard of the smudge brush ? Mac and Sigma calls them the Short Shader brush. It is for applying make-up on your lower lashes. The accent brush is for the same thing but it will give you a precise finish and you can use this brush for your outer V eye make up.

The pixel line brush, yes it is a fat eyeliner brush. But again MAC and Sigma makes plenty of those thin line brushes. The fat eyeliner is a good thing to have in your collection if one you want to try different looks. (cue Lana Del Rey). It find it easier to get the Lana Del Rey's eyeliner style with this brush. If you use a thin line brush you may need to go over the line many times to make it thick! One swipe is all it needs with this brush (This doesn't mean I don't love my thin eyeliner brush, but they're for other looks)

The only let down is the brow brush, because it is generic. MEH.

I hope my review have given you an insight why these make up brushes are unique and wonderful!!

20 out of 25 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2012 11:09:00 AM More reviews by lexijojohnson

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is the third or fourth time that I have purchased RT brushes and I'm just not getting what the hype is about. That being said, I do watch pixiwoo on YT and think they are brilliant. Many of Sam's brushes seem to have a good idea, but maybe just weren't executed quite well enough? With regard to the brushes specifically in this package, it includes the following: Base shadow brush, Deluxe crease brush, Accent brush, Pixel-point eyeliner brush, Brow brush. The base shadow brush is OK, but perhaps a bit too slim and not as fluffy as I like my base shadow brushes. The deluxe crease brush was the brush I was most excited about, but something about it is not applying color very well in my crease. This is almost too rounded/dense, so that it really is more like a better all over lid brush. The accent brush I just had no use for at all - it is a flat, very small brush, almost like a lip brush. The Pixel-point eyeliner brush I also did not use, and while I can appreciate that this type of brush makes using gel and cream liners much easier, I'm not one of those people - I need a good angled brush to work with those products. I also think that this brush might be a little too long to be the most user friendly it could be. Last, the brow brush - this is actually kind of nice as it is much bigger than the usual slanted brush that people use to fill in their brows. However, it being MUCH bigger might not work for a lot of people - it might deposit way too much color for many and give them too much brow. I think that these brushes had good ideas (except for the accent brush) but failed a bit on execution. For $18 you do get a nice set of brushes, but there are others I've bought separately (for low $) that I definitely prefer to get these jobs done.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2011 6:15:00 PM More reviews by TeeCube

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love the deluxe crease brush for applying and blending concealer. The eyeliner brush is a bit thick to apply a thin line, and the slanted brush is a bigger than I thought. I'm on the fence about the case for these brushes. I tend to want to store my brushes in a glass on my bathroom counter, and it's a bother to have to put them in the little elastic slots. I'd still buy the brushes without the case because there are many good cases on the market that would hold these great brushes without the clunky look.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/11/2011 7:18:00 AM More reviews by kocoannie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

In the future if I had money to burn I would most likely buy another set. Particulary for the base shadow brush, deluxe crease brush and accent brush. These three brushes help for an effortless application for mediocre makeup appliers such as myself. The momet I used each of these brushes I felt confident and have noticed imrpovment with my application.
I'm not entirely confident with the pixel point brush - If I want to do fine eyelining this brush is not for me. I did try to use it as a lip brush but gave up on the idea.
The brow brush is very useful and helps apply smoothly and powder or liquid to the brow leaving a soft natural look with the right hand.
All brushes are supersoft and the handles of the brushes make them lightweight and easy to hold. The case that they come in looks like it will be god-sent when travelling to keep your brushes protected and clean!
Currently you can only buy these brushes online and I think that they are at a very affordable price. The creator also has on their website lots of tutorials on how to use the brushes which I think is a really fantastic, touching idea and very encouraging.
Overall I am very impressed with this set!