July 30, 2014 | 2069 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Brush Collection - Eyes Starter Set

rated 4 of 5 on 3/15/2012 9:34:00 PM More reviews by Sepolayla

I have two of these because that's just the way I like to work. Overall this brush set is amazing quality for a really low price. I'll talk on the brushes individually. (But I don't have it sitting in front of me so I'm going to get the names wrong.)

Applicator brush - slightly pointed, soft enough to blend out light colours or do an initial blend. Great for application of cream products and pretty good for applying powders. Pointed end makes it easy to go under the eye and also to do a soft brow. It would be better at applying powders if it was stiffer but that would make it worse as a light blender. However, given that it comes in a kit with a designated blending brush maybe stiff would have been the better option.

Blending/crease brush - really interesting shape but does the job. Good for blending waterproof-formula pencils over the lid which is great because I often find them reluctant to move. Great for concealer as well. Could be better if it was slightly smaller, though. Don't find it great for delicately blending edges or for gradiants of depth in the crease. Brilliant for simple looks though.

Detailer brush - fantastic for smudging liner, applying smudged eyeshadow as liner and for sharp highlighting under the brows and beneath eyeliner wings. Not one for every look but does what it's asked too.

Liner brush - too thick. Has its place but, woah, is it thick. Also seems to be exclusively for use with gel or cake liner as bristles flare after cleaning. You have to roll the brush around on your product to give it a pointed tip. The packaging around the bristles contributes to that flare, I think. Would be better if there was a taper to the cartridge - I'm sure that would translate to a taper to the bristles. I was really surprised that Sam chose this design as, on pixiwoo at least, she nearly always seems to favour a fine liner brush.

Brow brush - great for everyday brows. Good angle - not too steep. Good thickness (not for drawing in individual hairs but I don't do that to my brows every day). Synthetic bristles are great with wax, powder, gel, cream, you name it. Mainly because they're not like a block of stiff plastic as some other synthetic brow brushes can be.

They're great value. The packaging of the brushes themselves is quite cute and seems to be of good quality - nothing's fallen to bits or started shedding in four months of use. Reservations about the liner brush still stand. All but the liner brush are really stand out brushes, especially for working with cream products.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2012 3:32:00 PM More reviews by mhxx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

When I saw this is my local boots I was delighted, I have been drooling over them on the Real Techniques website for a long time!

The brushes are all made of synthetic taklon bristles, making them perfect for either powder or cream products.

The set contains a carry case to store the brushes, which doubles as a stand for the brushes, very handy to see the brushes, and sits neatly on any make up table/vanity etc.

The shadow base brush is my favourite of the set. It has a similar shape to mac's 217, so is excellent to blend or apply eyeshadow, or buff in concealer.

The deluxe crease is a bit over sized for its intended purpose, however is excellent to apply a highlighter to the brow bone, or to blend out any harsh eye shadow edges.

The accent brush is a lovely little detailer brush, excellent for applying colour under the lower lash line.

The pixel point eyeliner brush I find is a bit thick to use as an eyeliner brush, specifically with gel or cream eyeliners, however because the bristles are quite firm it can be used to smudge out eyeliner.

The brow brush is just that, a firm bristled brush that does exactly what it says on the tin!

Overall I am delighted with this set! It cost me 30, which is an excellent price for such great quality brushes, but a poor conversion from the UK sterling price!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2012 10:01:00 AM More reviews by cherzleen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm WOWed by the brushes.

Back Story : I own MAC 217, 239 and 224. I also own Sigma E25 (which is the dupe version of the 217) and E40 ((which is the dupe for 224)

I believe the brushes are created with believing that everyone has already own a version of 217, 239 and 224. Either MAC version or the cheaper "imitation" Sigma products. So why make something similar to what is already out there right? Even Shu Uemura makes similar brushes to MAC.

I think Sam's assumption is right, (almost) everyone out there owns a 217. If you haven't got one.... go get the dupe version from Sigma for $9.

Enter Sam Chapman's brushes. I am in love with the brushes. Why..? firstly they are made from synthetic bristles which takes half the time to dry compared to animal hair. The aluminium ferrule makes the brushes look expensive (compared to the art class paint brush look of MAC / Sigma/ Shu).

Secondly, IT CAN DO WHAT SIGMA AND MAC BRUSHES CAN'T. It works extremely well with cream products (base shadow brush) like example Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadows. If you use the brushes on powder eye shadow, it wont lay the product as compact as a 239 but it gives a different finish than 217, which is lovely.

If you need a fluffy blending brush, go get a 224 or a Sigma E40. The deluxe crease brush works well as a blending brush and the difference is.. the finish compared to the MAC and Sigma Brushes

And yes.. the lovely Accent brush.. have you heard of the smudge brush ? Mac and Sigma calls them the Short Shader brush. It is for applying make-up on your lower lashes. The accent brush is for the same thing but it will give you a precise finish and you can use this brush for your outer V eye make up.

The pixel line brush, yes it is a fat eyeliner brush. But again MAC and Sigma makes plenty of those thin line brushes. The fat eyeliner is a good thing to have in your collection if one you want to try different looks. (cue Lana Del Rey). It find it easier to get the Lana Del Rey's eyeliner style with this brush. If you use a thin line brush you may need to go over the line many times to make it thick! One swipe is all it needs with this brush (This doesn't mean I don't love my thin eyeliner brush, but they're for other looks)

The only let down is the brow brush, because it is generic. MEH.

I hope my review have given you an insight why these make up brushes are unique and wonderful!!

20 out of 25 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2012 11:09:00 AM More reviews by lexijojohnson

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is the third or fourth time that I have purchased RT brushes and I'm just not getting what the hype is about. That being said, I do watch pixiwoo on YT and think they are brilliant. Many of Sam's brushes seem to have a good idea, but maybe just weren't executed quite well enough? With regard to the brushes specifically in this package, it includes the following: Base shadow brush, Deluxe crease brush, Accent brush, Pixel-point eyeliner brush, Brow brush. The base shadow brush is OK, but perhaps a bit too slim and not as fluffy as I like my base shadow brushes. The deluxe crease brush was the brush I was most excited about, but something about it is not applying color very well in my crease. This is almost too rounded/dense, so that it really is more like a better all over lid brush. The accent brush I just had no use for at all - it is a flat, very small brush, almost like a lip brush. The Pixel-point eyeliner brush I also did not use, and while I can appreciate that this type of brush makes using gel and cream liners much easier, I'm not one of those people - I need a good angled brush to work with those products. I also think that this brush might be a little too long to be the most user friendly it could be. Last, the brow brush - this is actually kind of nice as it is much bigger than the usual slanted brush that people use to fill in their brows. However, it being MUCH bigger might not work for a lot of people - it might deposit way too much color for many and give them too much brow. I think that these brushes had good ideas (except for the accent brush) but failed a bit on execution. For $18 you do get a nice set of brushes, but there are others I've bought separately (for low $) that I definitely prefer to get these jobs done.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2011 6:15:00 PM More reviews by TeeCube

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love the deluxe crease brush for applying and blending concealer. The eyeliner brush is a bit thick to apply a thin line, and the slanted brush is a bigger than I thought. I'm on the fence about the case for these brushes. I tend to want to store my brushes in a glass on my bathroom counter, and it's a bother to have to put them in the little elastic slots. I'd still buy the brushes without the case because there are many good cases on the market that would hold these great brushes without the clunky look.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/11/2011 7:18:00 AM More reviews by kocoannie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

In the future if I had money to burn I would most likely buy another set. Particulary for the base shadow brush, deluxe crease brush and accent brush. These three brushes help for an effortless application for mediocre makeup appliers such as myself. The momet I used each of these brushes I felt confident and have noticed imrpovment with my application.
I'm not entirely confident with the pixel point brush - If I want to do fine eyelining this brush is not for me. I did try to use it as a lip brush but gave up on the idea.
The brow brush is very useful and helps apply smoothly and powder or liquid to the brow leaving a soft natural look with the right hand.
All brushes are supersoft and the handles of the brushes make them lightweight and easy to hold. The case that they come in looks like it will be god-sent when travelling to keep your brushes protected and clean!
Currently you can only buy these brushes online and I think that they are at a very affordable price. The creator also has on their website lots of tutorials on how to use the brushes which I think is a really fantastic, touching idea and very encouraging.
Overall I am very impressed with this set!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2011 8:35:00 PM More reviews by glitzypink

I bought these brushes because I'm going to be doing my own makeup for my wedding. I wanted brushes that were reasonable, multi-tasking, easy to clean/maintain, and cute looking (just a perk!). I have to say I got everything I wanted and more with these brushes! The easiest way is to address each separately:

Deluxe crease brush: This brush might be big for some people's crease, but the beauty of this entire collection is that you can switch/swap and be creative! This brush does a great job blending all over the lid, in the crease, and highlighting under the brow bone.

Base shadow brush: I think I use this brush the most. From all over the lid, the crease, or the outer "v", this brush does it all! It's angled cut gives precision but is fluffy enough to blend any eyeshadow.

Accent brush: This brush is good for applying shadow to the upper/lower lashline and putting a highlight color in the inner corner. I also use it for smudging glitter eyeliner.

Pixel point eyeliner brush: I don't have any gel eyeliner, but I use this brush for smudging my regular eyeliner. I find it works better than the built-in smudger.

Brow brush: I've used this brush for applying shadow to the upper/lower lashline, I don't put any "brow" makeup on, but I like to use it (clean) just to neaten up my brows and comb through them.

Overall, I'm so pleased with my purchase and would highly recommend them if you don't want to spend a ton on a versatile set of brushes!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/27/2011 8:58:00 AM More reviews by HappyHooker

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Now this set I'm really disappointed in. The brow brush and the eyeliner brush are both practically useless. The depositor is just ok for a sheer wash of color (there are better inexpensive brushes out there for this) or for spreading a thin layer of a cream product on the lids, and the crease brush? I'm pretty sure that it was made for someone with eyes the size of that Kathy Wakile on RHONJ. Don't plan on getting inside the crease with this one. This set was not created with precision in mind. I do like the detail brush but I could absolutely live without it. I like the handles on these brushes (didn't mention this in my Core Collection review) but they are a major PITA to get back into the case that they come with. I threw those stupid cases away. All in all I LOVE Pixiwoo but I am not a fan of these brushes. If you want good vegan brushes, spend the extra money and go for Cozzette. You will not be disappointed.***EDIT*** I'm updating this review because I now use these brushes ALL THE TIME with the exception fo the eyeliner brush which I still believe is useless or at least I have not found a use for it yet. I use the huge crease brush for blending, the blending brush for blending the concealer under my eyes and the brow brush for applying/smoking out shadows around my eyes as liner and the detail brush for brightening up the inner corner of my eye or applying highlight to my cupid's bow. I now LOVE this set and use it probaly every day, so it's been a great value for me.

6 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2011 3:26:00 AM More reviews by GuerlainAds

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Sorry to ruin the perfect 5.0 rating but I've had this set for 2 months now and really regret my purchase.

First, let me say that I have tiny monolids with no crease so most eyeshadows brushes are too large for my eyes. These e/s brushes are unusual in proportions and sizes and I found most of them kind of useless. I was only able to use 2 of the brushes, hence my rating of 2 for the set.

The Deluxe Crease brush is HUGE. I was only able to use it for blending.

The Brow brush was not stiff enough and it was too thick to use as an eyeliner brush. Pretty much useless.

The Eyeliner brush is weird too. It's a stiff, very long point and did not apply eyeliner with any precision. Someone suggested using it as a concealer brush so that is what I use it for: a spare concealer brush . . . . when my 12 other concealer brushes are all dirty. I also use the other Eyeshadow brush as a spare concealer brush also since it's too big for my eyes. Wow, that's a lot of extra concealer brushes I am getting with this set. Did I mention that I already have 12 concealer brushes already? continued >>

11 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2011 7:57:00 PM More reviews by shiningshdw

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Great quality. They don't shed. I have to admit the white tips kind of bug me since they make your brush seem dirty really fast, which makes me wash my brushes more often. That's not necessarily a bad thing, I guess. But through all the washing, I've had no problems with shedding or anything.
Super soft and easy to use.
The eyeliner brush is a little thick, but still nice.