December 20, 2014 | 1410 users online

Cleansers - Josie Maran Cosmetics - Argan Cleansing Oil

rated 2 of 5 on 10/11/2011 10:26:00 PM More reviews by TaniaMst

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I got this as part of a Josie Maran Kit that I got as a 500 points gift from Sephora. The kit contained a Mascara, Hair Serum, Argan Oil, Gloss and this. I was pretty excited as I loved the brand... Before I used the kit. Apart from the mascara this is probably the worst thing in it.

First of all it's way too greasy. I love oil as a cleanser and currently use Laura Mercier purifying oil - Rich and it's great. But the texture of this one is too thick and it leaves a film of grease on your skin. I actually had to wash it off with soap everytime... What's the point of using a cleanser if it won't work without soap?

I can't comment on the price or the packaging as I didn't pay for them but it's seriously a rip off considering it's a gift you spent 500$ to get.

But the worst thing is the smell. I can't describe it other than by saying it smells like sweet wet popcorn. Seriously it's the image I got everytime I opened that pot. And oh my god, does it linger!!

I will definitely not repurchase and I do not recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2011 10:15:00 AM More reviews by thesavagefamily

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really wanted to try this cleansing oil, as I am new to the argan oil products, but not new to cleansing oil. So far my favorite cleansing oil has been from Laura Mercier, but I am always trying new things. I have combo skin and have had hormonal breakouts for years. When I tried this oil I had a couple of breakouts and some areas of dry skin. I apply the oil to dry skin then massage with water and rinse. I noticed that it does not take off mascara as well as other cleansing oils and it tastes horrible if you get it on your lips. Other than that, it left my skin soft, took off my makeup (needed a bit of eye makeup remover to get off mascara), and did not break me out more. I ordered this from qvc, as I love their return policy. When I received my first bottle, about 45% leaked out due to the top working incorrectly. When I spoke to CS they sent me a new bottle and said keep the original one. I also like qvc since you can return ANY item, used or not, within 30 days.

Give this a try if you like cleansing oils, but you might need to use an eye makeup remover as well.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/15/2011 4:31:00 PM More reviews by gennyb73

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this product due to the fact that I have oily skin and have been told numerous times to fight like with like. It seems to keep my oil production at bay, but I find it does not remove my makeup AT ALL! I use Clinique City Block SPF 40, and find that after I wash my face with this oil (I've even let it sit on my skin for 10 mins thinking it would help emulsify the City Block), and use a toner, the toner pad is FULL of makeup. Perhaps this is a problem of the City Block and not the oil, but I also find that it does not remove my eye makeup either. I am not satisfied with this product at all and will be returning it to try something else. My HG cleanser was Bliss Labs Steep Clean Cleanser, but for some unknown reason they have disco'd it. What a shame. Any suggestions on a good cleanser out there?

***EDIT*** I switched to Ole Henriksen "On the Go" cleanser. So far so good. I removes ALL my makeup, including the Cityblock. Yay!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/4/2011 1:21:00 PM More reviews by purityplease

So I used this product the first time as a tester from Sephora, and I really liked the product minus the fact that it was a little too scented for my tastes. So I went back to buy the product and during the time that it took me to get home the bottle had already leaked all over my bag. I decided to use the remainder of the bottle, but it turns out I never made it through. Left my face feeling soft and clean, but I can't get passed all of the added stuff in the bottle.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/26/2011 7:56:00 PM More reviews by ET3638

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I had read a lot of great reviews about this oil cleanser, though I am really not a fan of oil based cleanser, I have used one in the past (by Boscia). I bought this mainly because I had read on Sephora's website that this cleanser helps stop the over production of sebum, therefore helping to reduce acne. I had read a lot of great reviews on Sephora's site as well as MUA, so I stopped in and bought myself this cleanser.

I wouldn't say that this cleanser is a huge disappointment, but it kind of was a disappointment since it really didn't do what I had hoped it would. I had used it for almost a month, but my acne kept coming and my face was still just as oily. Nothing had really changed since using this cleanser. I liked the fact that my skin felt really balanced and not tight and dry, and it didn't feel overly oily and gross right after I use this to wash my face. I found that my skin "glowed" after using this product. However, it never really helped with keeping my oily skin less oily, so I eventually gave up on it and stopped using it.

I like the smell of this product and how it feels on my dry face. It feels very smooth going on and the warming sensation after wetting your face adds a very nice touch. I tried using this with my Clarisonic, but felt that the cleanser got washed away with my wet Clarisonic brush head. This in turn made me have to use more product just to make sure that there was some cleanser on my face. So after using it for 2 weeks, there was a large amount of cleanser being used up in such a short amount of time. I wouldn't repurchase this cleanser again because it really doesn't give me a whole lot of bang for my buck. Ontop of that, it really didn't help with stopping my face from producing an insane amount of oil either. I don't like the packaging either. The bottle leaks product when I take it with me traveling, so I eventually have to put it in a plastic baggy to keep it from leaking all over my clothes. The cap turns to either lock or unlock... and I find that my cap doesn't stay "unlocked". Everytime I try to pump the cleanser onto my hand, I have to keep resetting the cap to the unlock position because it wouldn't stay in the unlock position. Will not repurchase this and probably won't be using up the remainder of what I've got left.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2011 11:31:00 PM More reviews by skp

I'd given up thinking I was going to find an oil cleanser I liked better than the Kose Softymo. I've tried so many, mostly because the Kose is so great and yet it's made from mineral oil, but hadn't found one yet that I liked as much. Not only because it's $9, but because I really enjoy the consistency, texture, smell, the way it leaves my skin, etc. I quite prefer it to Shu and Boscia and Nude and so on.

Anyway, I spotted this Josie Maran stuff and thought why not ask for a sample of this biz, since you're asking for a sample of this foundation already anyway. So, knowing nothing about argan oil or Josie Maran, I tried this cleanser. I was kind of blown away.

My skin looked so even toned after I washed with this. And also felt super soft and light- it's hard to describe it, but my skin actually felt light, as though it had lost weight. And it looked great.

So I went back to the store and got myself a bottle, along with some straight up argan oil and other JM products. I sort of expected it wasn't the cleanser that was the knockout product, but maybe just the argan.

Nope. I like the oil, but the cleanser is what's doing it for me.

I have to qualify my review, though. I don't care for the smell of this product. It's not a bad smell (like grapefruit), but it's much too strong. I also think the consistency is less than ideal - too thick. And I won't clean my lips with it - the taste is atrocious. BUT the results are so awesome these aspects are just not dealbreakers.

We'll see. I know I have a tendency to get overexcited in the beginning, and sometimes products can lose their efficacy over time. But, if you like oil cleansers, this one is definitely worth a check out.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/4/2011 6:58:00 PM More reviews by Akimon

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This works as advertised and it's one of the better cleansing oils I have tried. The ingredients are good and up to snuff for a "natural" claim. However, I cannot get past this oil's scent. Yes, it's scented with natural grapefruit peel essential oil. In theory, all nice and natural. In reality though, this is more like mutant nuclear grapefruit on crack, in your face in very literal sense. Because of that citrus overload, I also feel that my sensitive skin often reacts badly to it. I like grapefruit a lot and I am actually using Ren body wash scented with it, but in this product, the fumes and the irritation are just too much to take. Not to mention, if any of it gets into your mouth, and it can easily happen, you will have an awful, bitter taste for a while.
This is a shame, because in terms of performance this is a really good cleansing oil that takes off the industrial strength sunblocks I use easily and rinses off very cleanly without over drying the skin. I hope this will come in unscented version one day, and then it could be a five star item

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2011 1:52:00 PM More reviews by MISSKAYLA

I love this cleansing oil. I was a little bit scared to try this because I have oily skin but it didn't break me out. Surprisingly it didn"t make more oily. It also smells good. My face was smooth and soft after using it. I will repurchase and this will now become apart of my skin care routine. ( I also use JM argan oil as a moisturizer )

rated 3 of 5 on 6/1/2011 1:06:00 AM More reviews by PJBX

Have been using for about 2 wks at night only. My skin is normal/ slightly dry. This actually makes my skin feel tight and drier. And no matter how tightly I close my mouth during the rinse off, I always seem to taste some, and it it the most bitter taste Ive ever experienced. So this is not a winner for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/30/2011 11:06:00 AM More reviews by soozeq68

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My favorite oil cleanser is by NUDE cosmetics. I decided to try this one because I love the Argan oil for my face. This has the consistency of olive oil and is a bit tacky to the touch. The smell is ok. However....DO NOT get it near your mouth. The taste is horrifying. Remember when you were a kid and your mom would spray you down with OFF BUGSPRAY before you went out to play and some inevitibly got in your mouth? EEEWWWW. It successfully removes my makeup and leaves my skin soft. I am extremely dry and it feels good. I won't repurchase though, I will go back to NUDE Oil Cleanser.