October 20, 2014 | 1921 users online

Hair Treatments - John Frieda - Go Blonder Lightening Spray

rated 4 of 5 on 5/16/2012 4:54:00 PM More reviews by dylandisaster

Yes, it dries out your hair. Yes, it has harsh chemicals in it. Get overit. You want lighter hair? This is what you have to deal with.
Anywhoo, my hair is naturally dark-ish brown, but it takes color very easily and i've had it dyed blonde for about twoo years :D and i love it, though the constant root jobs (my hair grows ultra fast) so i tired this lastt year. i really like it. it dries your hair out if you blow dry it, but i put it in right before i straighten and it dries my hair slightly, but it gives such natural looking highlights! people actually ask if my hair's naturally blonde! haa. they must not notice my eyebrows. i use Mane n Tail conditioner with either Garnier Body Boost, Biomega Moisture, the biolage anti snap (i think that's what it's called......), or herbal essences color me happy, and my hair feels fine. and i don't really use that much product!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 5/11/2012 1:14:00 PM More reviews by rosecaroline720

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

If you ever want to bleach/highlight your hair again, DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT. I used it on my dyed mid-brown hair to achieve highlights for a while, after going back and forth between blonde and brown for years. However I recently went to my salon to get my hair highlighted slightly lighter, nothing drastic. They always do a strength test (putting a few strands of hair in strong perm lotion to see if it will hold) before dyeing my hair, as bleaching is damaging, and my hair BUBBLED and pretty much disintegrated in the bowl!! The hairdresser immediately turned to me and said you have been using John Freida Go Lighter spray.

Clearly if the hairdresser knew what product I had used before me even speaking, I am not the first one to have this problem. After a month of scrubbing my hair lengths with deep-cleanser shampoo (which in turn made it drier and break off) they re-tested and I finally have my golden highlights, but I wish I had never touched this. I am a dedicated sheer blonde john freida lover but I hope anyone using this range doesnt have the same experience :) x

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/8/2012 4:35:00 PM More reviews by djm88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

I had some bad highlights put in and bought this product to try and blend them out and make them less stripy. It worked well! I have long, very thick, dirty/dark blonde hair and the colour lift is good on with this product, and much easier than using bleach. Yes it does dry out your hair a bit but ofc it will it's lightening! Just use a good deep conditioner next time you wash and it's fine. I use it once a week not every wash, and blow dry and straighten my hair which does help the lightening effect. It says the max lightening will be after 5 uses so ill stop then. I'm happy with my brighter looking hair and it's so easy to use!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2012 9:59:00 PM More reviews by boourns

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product left my hair terribly brittle. I wouldn't buy it again for its intended purpose. That said, there is ONE purpose that this product is actually good for: last Spring, I bleached out a panel of hair completely & dyed it pink with Manic Panic dye. I got sick of the upkeep really fast, and tried all kinds of clarifying treatments to help me get all the pink out. Nothing worked. I happened to have my bottle of Go Blonder spray on hand, so I thought I'd try it and see. A few spritzes and five minutes with the hair dryer took the pink dye right out. This also worked for a friend of mine who did hot pink and turquoise streaks on her bleached-blonde hair. So it seems to work well as a "colour corrector" if you've done a temporary dye like Manic Panic and you're over it. But that's the ONLY thing I'd ever recommend trying it for! And even then, be careful! This stuff is harsh.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/14/2012 2:56:00 AM More reviews by Jaimegirl111

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I just purchased this product today and luckily I used it once and only on a few little sections to make "highlights" and then read all these horrible reviews and I can tell how dry those little sections already are so I immediately ran out and purchased a good fortifying shampoo and repairing conditioner and will not by using this lightening product again! No wonder the ingredients are not on the box I read the review where the girl lists the awful chemicals in it! And luckily I was able to return it to rite aid and get my money back!!!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/27/2012 1:09:00 PM More reviews by Gemzi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I recently bought the John Frieda Hair Lightening Spray. I followed the instructions to a T - perhaps using less heat than advised on the box, and definitely less frequency.

I am naturally Blonde,with very long hair, and like to keep my Blonde light through the winter months. I bought the product and used sparingly, afraid it may dry out my hair with has always been healthy. I only used it on my root's, trying not to get any on other part's of my hair. Perhaps once a week at most. At first i was pleased with the results. Even though i never used my Straightener's as suggested on the box, the product has completely ruined my hair.

I have always had healthy, soft, shiny, straight hair. Now, from just below my roots, my hair is frazzled for want of a better word. I'm gutted to put it mildly. It's all crinkly, tight crimping type effect and there is now way to cut it out as i would have to shave my head to do so.

I have not over used this product at all, yet my hair is ruined and i have no idea how to fix it..or how much it will cost me.

I am afraid to Blow dry my hair that is very long and needs it. I dare not touch it with Straighteners as i am seriously worried my hair will drop off.

My job means i am in spotlight when working, and feel devastated that my hair is in such a state as it's my trade mark look.

Can anyone recommend anything i can use to try and treat my ruined hair?

::: UPDATE :::

I emailed John Frieda customer care last night upset, naturally. 9am, i had a phone call from them. Very helpful. They are now sending me a repair kit, and gave me instruction's on how to treat my hair until it's repaired. I feel lucky after reading about people's hair dropping off, that mine is just so bad - but as of yet, touch wood, not dropping out.
The lady was very helpful, and i will let you guys know how the Hair Repair Kit works out. It can not come soon enough. I am a DJ who is finally warming up for my idol James Zabiela next weekend - with Vestax a huge brand who have sent me a Controller to use, coming to see me. Lot's of photo's ...let's hope this stuff works.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/20/2012 12:37:00 PM More reviews by Jacqu1em

Although I loved this product at first because it did seem to work great & saved me trips to the salon.. Ultimately it did more damage than good.

My fringe is still recovering months later from this, it seemed to split my ends & they're continuing to split up the entire hair shaft, although I only used this product on roots. Upon discontinuing use it has taken the Redken Extreme line to whip my hair back into a healthy condition although I believe I'll go for my 2nd trim.

2 lippies just because it did seem to work.. But extreme caution ladies if you decide to use this. I would recommend no more than once a week & with a heavy duty heat protectant as well. Lemon juice with conditioner & sitting in the sun it will be me! x

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2012 3:04:00 PM More reviews by FakeLashes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I never had any problems using this product until recently and after reading the reviews I'm afraid to use it again. My hair is darkblond but I've been lightening it with a little blondspray for years!! I started in my teens because I thought it would be less damaging than dying my hair and just kept using it. I do have to say that my hair is pretty healthy to start with and I never dyed my hair apart from a few low and highlights once in a while. I always used a cheap drugstore brand spray but when this came out last year I bought it, thinking it would be better quality and maybe even better for my hair. But boy was I wrong, I don't use this very often maybe every few weeks and I use it very sparingly and only at my roots. I own my bottle from may last year and it's still half full so that gives you an idea of how much I actually used. The last couple months my hair became really dry, I can pour in half a bottle of arganoil (with silicones) and my hair would still look the same. My hair also broke off at the crown just like the pictures someone loaded up, it looks the same on me and this cannot be a coincidence! After talking to my hairdresser she actually told me to stay away from this, it would be much less damaging to my hair if I dye my roots once in a while because I don't even need to bleach it, and this product keeps on working in your hair and activates with every heating process you use! After you used this and you want to switch to hair dye be careful, talk to your hairdresser first and ask for advice because it can ruin your hair. I would not recommend this to anyone, if you HAVE to you use it then just do it for a few times in the summer and than stay away from it but I would stay away from it anyway because it's really damaging in the long run!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2012 12:31:00 PM More reviews by lollsazz

Long term of this: Although I have managed to make my hair look healthy and shiny on the surface, every time I cut it, the ends split very fast - maybe after only 2 weeks. Waiting for the damaged hair to grow out...
I bought this while my mom didn't let me colour my hair with permanent colours yet. I would've bought just a regular hair colour anyway, but I wasn't sure I could manage to colour my hair evenly. This did lighten my dark brown hair about 2 shades, leaving me with some copper tones. I liked the colour and knew very well that it was going to be copper though.
One bottle lasted me for 2 uses, and made my hair 2 shades lighter.
Why I hate this:
the whole procedure of spraying and heating this is quite long, very smelly, your hair tangles awfully, if you get this on your skin, it will lighten it and sting. It's in general difficult to do it. The results you will get is hair that is some shades lighter, but much drier and more brittle. I actually managed to fix my hair in two weeks using It's a 10! hair mask and leave-in spray, but having to do this shouldn't be necessary!
I bought it mainly because it had a rating of 4.2 before, and sounded like a good product, but: you can get the same results and better in a faster, less smelly and less damaging way just by using regular permanent hair colour! 1 year after trying this l coloured my hair with permanent dye and it didn't seem to damage my hair, while this s*** ruined it for a long time, making it brittle, dry and prone to split ends. First I thought this was going to be better for my hair than hairdye, but permanent dye is definitely much much better.
It's good that the ratings are now so low - it may stop more people using this horrible thing. Too bad so many people had their hair ruined because of this.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2012 10:34:00 PM More reviews by shar037

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have not used this stuff...thank god ,but just caught a glimps of these awful reviews....
I am a chemist so checked out the ingredients.
You better bet it dries out your hair!
They are all used industrially in cleaning products!
* Hydrogen Peroxide is often substituted for Bleach.
* Poly 20 is a detergent used in several Clorox made cleaning products it is often listed as Tween 20, which is it's brand name. Generally seen in floor cleaners.
It is often used as an emulsifier in beauty products but generally in a formulation with lots of other oils. But not in this product....YIKES
* The alcohol listed is good old rubbing alcohol.
This does nothing but dries out anything that it comes into contact with. Great for cleaning wounds but not great for hair. Note that this is different from the stearyl alcohols which you see in many beauty preparations. Stearyls aren't drying.

It is shocking that the company invested $$ in research &development to bring this stuff to market!

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No