July 29, 2014 | 1705 users online

Hair Treatments - John Frieda - Go Blonder Lightening Spray

rated 2 of 5 on 3/20/2012 12:37:00 PM More reviews by Jacqu1em

Although I loved this product at first because it did seem to work great & saved me trips to the salon.. Ultimately it did more damage than good.

My fringe is still recovering months later from this, it seemed to split my ends & they're continuing to split up the entire hair shaft, although I only used this product on roots. Upon discontinuing use it has taken the Redken Extreme line to whip my hair back into a healthy condition although I believe I'll go for my 2nd trim.

2 lippies just because it did seem to work.. But extreme caution ladies if you decide to use this. I would recommend no more than once a week & with a heavy duty heat protectant as well. Lemon juice with conditioner & sitting in the sun it will be me! x

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2012 3:04:00 PM More reviews by FakeLashes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I never had any problems using this product until recently and after reading the reviews I'm afraid to use it again. My hair is darkblond but I've been lightening it with a little blondspray for years!! I started in my teens because I thought it would be less damaging than dying my hair and just kept using it. I do have to say that my hair is pretty healthy to start with and I never dyed my hair apart from a few low and highlights once in a while. I always used a cheap drugstore brand spray but when this came out last year I bought it, thinking it would be better quality and maybe even better for my hair. But boy was I wrong, I don't use this very often maybe every few weeks and I use it very sparingly and only at my roots. I own my bottle from may last year and it's still half full so that gives you an idea of how much I actually used. The last couple months my hair became really dry, I can pour in half a bottle of arganoil (with silicones) and my hair would still look the same. My hair also broke off at the crown just like the pictures someone loaded up, it looks the same on me and this cannot be a coincidence! After talking to my hairdresser she actually told me to stay away from this, it would be much less damaging to my hair if I dye my roots once in a while because I don't even need to bleach it, and this product keeps on working in your hair and activates with every heating process you use! After you used this and you want to switch to hair dye be careful, talk to your hairdresser first and ask for advice because it can ruin your hair. I would not recommend this to anyone, if you HAVE to you use it then just do it for a few times in the summer and than stay away from it but I would stay away from it anyway because it's really damaging in the long run!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2012 12:31:00 PM More reviews by lollsazz

Long term of this: Although I have managed to make my hair look healthy and shiny on the surface, every time I cut it, the ends split very fast - maybe after only 2 weeks. Waiting for the damaged hair to grow out...
I bought this while my mom didn't let me colour my hair with permanent colours yet. I would've bought just a regular hair colour anyway, but I wasn't sure I could manage to colour my hair evenly. This did lighten my dark brown hair about 2 shades, leaving me with some copper tones. I liked the colour and knew very well that it was going to be copper though.
One bottle lasted me for 2 uses, and made my hair 2 shades lighter.
Why I hate this:
the whole procedure of spraying and heating this is quite long, very smelly, your hair tangles awfully, if you get this on your skin, it will lighten it and sting. It's in general difficult to do it. The results you will get is hair that is some shades lighter, but much drier and more brittle. I actually managed to fix my hair in two weeks using It's a 10! hair mask and leave-in spray, but having to do this shouldn't be necessary!
I bought it mainly because it had a rating of 4.2 before, and sounded like a good product, but: you can get the same results and better in a faster, less smelly and less damaging way just by using regular permanent hair colour! 1 year after trying this l coloured my hair with permanent dye and it didn't seem to damage my hair, while this s*** ruined it for a long time, making it brittle, dry and prone to split ends. First I thought this was going to be better for my hair than hairdye, but permanent dye is definitely much much better.
It's good that the ratings are now so low - it may stop more people using this horrible thing. Too bad so many people had their hair ruined because of this.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2012 10:34:00 PM More reviews by shar037

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have not used this stuff...thank god ,but just caught a glimps of these awful reviews....
I am a chemist so checked out the ingredients.
You better bet it dries out your hair!
They are all used industrially in cleaning products!
* Hydrogen Peroxide is often substituted for Bleach.
* Poly 20 is a detergent used in several Clorox made cleaning products it is often listed as Tween 20, which is it's brand name. Generally seen in floor cleaners.
It is often used as an emulsifier in beauty products but generally in a formulation with lots of other oils. But not in this product....YIKES
* The alcohol listed is good old rubbing alcohol.
This does nothing but dries out anything that it comes into contact with. Great for cleaning wounds but not great for hair. Note that this is different from the stearyl alcohols which you see in many beauty preparations. Stearyls aren't drying.

It is shocking that the company invested $$ in research &development to bring this stuff to market!

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/1/2012 11:15:00 AM More reviews by JancieNI33

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

AS PER PREVIOUS REVIEW DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT IT RUINS YOUR HAIR!!!
I get my hair highlighted and found this product and thought it would be great to use between visits to the hairdresser to save some money. Initially I thought it was good and my hair dresser commented in how much quicker my hair was talking to the highlights.
I did notice however that my hair was becoming weaker when I washed in and clumps started falling out. I was only using this once a week and then noticed an orange tinge in my hair. Was at hair dressers today and she told me to stop using it at once! They have had clients in and there hair has completely broken off and fallen out. She did my highlights but only left the cream on for 10 minutes - it should take 30-40 mins. She said the texture of my hair was very stringy and recommended intense conditioning and care.
Lucky I have such a good hairdresser, who knows what she is talking about and I don't have any long lasting damage. She has repaired the 'orange strip" and I have thrown the product in the bin.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/24/2012 3:09:00 PM More reviews by Vicvictoto

TERRIBLE. NEVER, I MEAN NEVER BUY THIS PRODUCT. I've been using it off and on for about one year on my blonde hair, i just wanted it to be a bit lighter & that it did! About 3 weeks ago I noticed my hair to become very "sticky" when i would comb it out after having a shower & always tangled after I blow dry it with millions of fly aways. Well turns out this product made me loose my hair and damage it completely. My once long, one layered hair has turned into two layers due to breakage from 2 inches from the root down.....I don't know how I'm going to fix this! But, NEVER will i use this product again.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/24/2012 12:50:00 AM More reviews by skylarkmelody

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This product was more damaging to my hair than chemotherapy. When I had chemo in 2009 and 2010 about a quarter of my hair fell out from the root, and the rest became slightly less lustrous. Fortunately, six months after going into remission my hair was healthy, shiny, and growing in steadily. Unfortunately, I then made the poor decision to use this product when my suite mate gave me her extra bottle. I have naturally blonde hair, but it had been growing back in slightly darker in some areas after chemo. At first I thought this product was fabulous because it gave my hair a gorgeous golden hue. I began to notice that my hair was becoming thin and fragile again about three months after using this spray on a weekly basis. More hair than normal was falling out when I brushed it, and I'd wake up and see strands on my pillow. I normally don't blow-dry my hair during the week unless I'm going somewhere special, like I was on Valentine's Day. I was horrified when a ten-inch strand of hair broke off about two inches above the root line as I was getting ready that night. This hair is right at the front of my head. I already knew this product was the culprit, and my hair stylist confirmed it and said I was certainly not the only one who'd had the same upsetting experience. Another client had such severe damage she had to cut her long hair into a bob.

I thought I'd been using this product prudently, but that's basically like only having poison once a week. It's still going to cause damage. I only used it sparingly and I baby my hair with organic, nourishing shampoos and conditioners. I don't use heating tools, and I only blow-dry my hair on the weekends. Considering that this product was responsible for more damage to my hair than eight cycles of chemotherapy, I'd have to give it the dubious distinction of being the single worst product I've ever used.

Please avoid this product. I wonder if all the people who gave it glowing reviews wrote them during their first few weeks of using the product before it had the time to cause substantial damage.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/17/2012 10:28:00 AM More reviews by ashleighlynn

This spray IS very drying as has been mentioned in previous comments...the results I've gotten colourwise, however, have been wonderful. I went to my stylist looking to go lighter (i have naturally dirty blonde/light brown with red undertones) and he suggested I just do all over highlights. I ended up hating them! I started using this product to blend my highlights better and to get an overall lighter look. It did exactly that. It is recommended to be used with heat so I always use a thermal protectant after applying, and then use argan oil. My hair has been fine after using conditioning products. Overall, I will continue buying this. It's a great way to touch up roots or blend out stripey highlights.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/16/2012 9:54:00 AM More reviews by allieandea

I have dark blonde hair naturally, and very light highlights all over. I bought this product in the hopes of lightening my roots, giving me some extra time before needing a trip to the salon. Originally I read RAVE reviews on how awesome this product is. This did lighten my roots, but gave them a brassy hue. I'm not too sure how I'm going to fix this. I'm going to try purple shampoo toners, and if that doesn't work- a professional appointment. After doing the damage to my hair, I read some awful reviews that this product breaks hair, dries it out, and ruin your colouring at your next appointment. I'm very upset, I'M NEVER USING THIS SPRAY AGAIN, its really not worth it.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/12/2012 5:38:00 PM More reviews by LilyBE

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Ladies, heed the warnings about hair loss. I was thrilled with the great lightening this product did for my hair. Until 2 months later it started falling out in clumps in the kitchen sink. My once very thick hair became thin all over. It's been a month since I stopped using JF and I have new hair growth, thank God. After talking to some friends, the same thing happened to them also. It may not happen to you, but why risk it?