November 27, 2014 | 1370 users online

Pressed Powders - MAC - Studio Careblend

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2011 12:31:00 PM More reviews by mcalcia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this product without trying it first (there's no MAC counter in my city), because of the raves at the MU board. It was recommended as a pressed powder with light to medium coverage, good foor dry skin because it didn't give that "powdery" look. So, my skin right now is normal to dry, NC20, and I use pretty heavy sunscreens everyday, so I need a powder to counteract the white and oily finish that some of these sunscreens give.
The color match was pretty good - Light Plus was the perfect shade for my NC20 complexion. I apply it with a big and fluffy powder brush (Ecotools) and it gives a kind of a satin finish - counteracts the oiliness of the sunscreens without being completely matte (it's more matte than I'd like it to be, though). I don't agree that this is a great product for normal to dry skin, as it settles into fine lines that I didn't even know that existed. It also leaves a slightly powdery finish even if I blend a lot, because it's not so finely milled.
Didn't break me out nor gave my skin any problems (I usually don't breakout from powders anyway).

The weird thing is that, after 3 months of using it only once a week (I alternate it with other powders) I hit pan on it! While hitting pan is certainly fun, since I rarely use up MU products, I didn't like the fact that this has such a low amount of product for your money. It took me 3 years to hit pan on my Studio Fix, for example.
By the way, the only difference from this powder to Studio Fix was the coverage - light for Careblend and medium for SF. The finish was pretty much the same, at least in my skin (satin finish). And Studio Fix has 15g while Careblend has only 10g.

It's not a bad product at all, but I don't plan on buying it again because, considering the price/amount of product, I think I can find a better powder for my skin type.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2011 7:15:00 PM More reviews by jtbeautyx3

This was recommended to me by the guy at the MAC counter after I asked him to compare the powders to me. He said that this is made more for those who have dry skin. I'm so happy I got this because I was looking for something to wear during the summer that provided enough coverage but didn't feel as heavy on my face as a liquid foundation. Normally powders I've used are very matte and emphasizes the dry patches on my face. This is the first powder product I have used that does not do that. The only downside is that I haven't had this for long and I can already see the dent in the product even after using it sparingly. Also, it lasts me for about four or five hours.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2011 1:18:00 PM More reviews by yum_yum

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is my favourite powder from MAC. Pros: It's not at all drying, it leaves a dewy (not greasy) finish, great colour match, very natural looking, no break outs, less matte/drying than Mineralize Skinfinish Natural - which is my second favourite MAC powder.

Colour match was easy - I'm a C4 in MAC Face and Body foundation (I have neutral undertones) and Careblend in Medium-Plus is perfect. Very glad I tried before buying because, going by other MUA reviews and recs, Medium-Dark would have been my obvious blind-buy choice. But after testing it in-store, the Medium-Dark was initially very brown, and a bit too dark/warm, whereas the Medium-Plus was better suited to my neutral undertones. I checked in indoor and outdoor light - and even though (after setting) Medium-Dark was decent enough, Medium-Plus was better.

Unlike other reviewers, on my skin, I don't see any difference in the colour or warmth of MSFN in Medium-Plus and Careblend in Medium-Plus. A few reviews indicated that Careblend comes up lighter, but on me, the colours of both products are identical - the difference is the finish. So really - try before you buy - it might depend on your skin colour and undertones.

Careblend is the most moisturising powder I've used. It's not shiny, just smooth and perfect. Coverage is not as good as with MSFN, but if you don't need much cover (like me) or use it with foundation, it's perfect.
Price point is good, compact is nice. I apply with a dense powder brush.
Very happy with this! I'll still use MSFN for extra-matte days, but Careblend is now my powder of choice.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2011 4:35:00 PM More reviews by ladymakeupfan

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Hello new HG setting powder! I was waiting for MAC to put out something like this for ages, being that there MSF natural has never tickled my fancy much at all, I don't like the dome and that it don't have a mirror, never thought it was good for on the go touch ups, so here I am with this lovely priduct, what can I say about it? The color match worked well for my NC40 or C4 skin tone, I debated but ended up getting medium dark I believe it is. However, in the winter this will be too dark forsure. It has such a lovely matte, but natural looking finish, I don't have to take studiofix powder foundation with me anymore when I'm on the go, which I shouldn't since it is a foundation ladies! Anywho, I can't say enough good things, its pure love at first try:]

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2011 7:24:00 PM More reviews by pinkwatermelon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I rarely give reviews here in MUA. But I just had to review Careblend Pressed Powder. THIS IS JUST HG powder for me! I use it as an overall setting powder for my liquid foundation, and it stays on all day with minimal touch ups, if need be. I'm actually and NC 35 skin tone, but I use NC30 foundation because my skin oxidizes throughout the day. Bought this in Medium Plus and I'm happy with how it matches my skin :) My previous setting powder made me look powdery and cakey after application...Careblend does not! It softens imperfections here an there and keeps oil at bay. I love it and will definitely buy again once it's run out.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2011 2:55:00 PM More reviews by nattyngeorge

What really lured me into wanting Careblend is the claim that it doesn't look powdery and it isn't drying. Not to mention the amazing rating on here. I had a little bit of a tough time trying to pick a shade for my current NC30 skintone - I was debating with Light Plus (mainly because it has some good golden tones), Medium or Medium Dark. I figured that since they are sheer, there will be a little room for error, but my favorite MAC Sales Assoc. informed me that they do indeed pack pretty good pigment, so I played it safe and purchased Medium. I purchased this powder to solely use it as a setting powder. Medium is a good match for my skin. It lacks yellow though if you're medium skinned and particular about having the right amount of golden in your foundation or powder. I compared it to my MAC Studio Fix Powder in C3 for reference. Of course, C3 has a stronger yellow tone as all "C" powders do in the SF Powder range. The consistency of this powder to the touch, feels like your average powder. Studio Fix Powder actually feels softer to the touch. But, once smoothed on the skin, Careblend feels much smoother, whereas Studio Fix feels a bit dryer and powdery (ironic, huh?) The powder isn't completely sheer - it does have some pigment, so if you have relatively clear skin and need little coverage and oil control, this can be worn alone. I like using a large fluffy powder brush such as my Sigma F30 (FAV) and swirling the product all over my face to set my foundation. If I want a little extra coverage, I'll use a more dense brush such as my Sephora Pro Platinum Bronzer Brush or a standard Kabuki. The finish with this powder indeed is not powdery at all. It gives a velvety satin finish that even reminds me a bit of my beloved Chanel Double Perfection Powder. I don't need all that much oil control, just a little bit in my t-zone, and this keeps my skin from getting shiny throughout the day very well. Based on some reviews I've read, some don't recommend this powder for those with oily skin as it may not control oil well enough, but I've also read that some oily skin found it works great. The reviews are pretty mixed. I think it would work particularly well for those with dry skin as contains moisturizing oils (Safflower, Meadowfoam & Olive) as well as Shea Butter and it doesn't seem to accentuate dryness. I really love this powder and will continue using it for an all over setting powder.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2011 2:16:00 PM More reviews by Hawko

I heard all the raving & from the description I figured this is one of those pressed powder with corn or wheat starch that gives it the smoothness. I was wrong, its has many different blend of oil in it that gives this wonderful unique powder the superior quality. Since I have dry skin, this works out great.
I do not have pore or oily issues, so cannot comment on that. What I love is the smoothness without the powdery cakey look, skin feels comfortable, blemishes looks diffused.
I am NC 35 and purchased medium dark although medium plus will suit me better in winter.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2011 12:32:00 PM More reviews by makeupaddict76

I was planning to purchase the blot powder but decided to try the Careblend due to all the great reviews. The texture is definitely lighter than the Studio Fix and the MSFN but does a great job setting liquid makeup. Powder is finely-milled, smooth and blends really well. The finish is not powdery or chalky, leaves a natural finish and does not oxidize which MAC powders tends to due.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2011 10:48:00 PM More reviews by fashionista_ae

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Such a disappointment. This powder might be great if you can find a color to match your skin, but for me they are all way too yellow. I still gave it a try despite how yellow it looked in the compact... but low and behold it was super yellow on my face too. The shades seem to run really dark too. I think MAC really needs to work on their shades, I wish so bad they made a NEUTRAL shade, not pink and not yellow, just neutral skin colored face makeup. All their foundations are too yellow or too pink, and it's really a shame because their formulas are great, but the colors are awful.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2011 10:23:00 PM More reviews by jewels64

I'm using this in Medium Plus, which is a bit light right now when I'm NC30-35 but I think it will be great when I'm NC25-30. This is finely-milled, creamy (rather than powdery) and amazing as a setting powder for liquid foundation.

When used as setting powders, MSFN was too cakey and oxidized while Blot Powder didn't really add much of a finish. However, although Careblend could be used as a very sheer foundation, I much prefer the coverage that MSFN gives, and I prefer Blot as a oil-control mattifying powder. I love that Careblend has a mirror whereas MSFN does not and I prefer the sponge that comes with it over the puff in Blot. Careblend is cheaper than MSFN with the same amount of product, but I find myself using Careblend up faster than my last MSFN which lasted over a year. On the other hand, Careblend is the same price at 10g that Blot is at 12g.

So overall, for me there are things about Careblend that are superior than MSFN or Blot, and there are some things that are inferior. And while there are attributes of all 3 that I appreciate, I don't need to own them all. Although I have repurchased both MSFN and Blot before, I think that I will stick with just Careblend from now on. It's the most versatile of the 3, and it's effect as a setting powder is so stunning it outweighs the best uses of the other 2, even though in my opinion it is the most expensive given the amount of product and the speed with which it is used up.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No