February 27, 2015 | 2021 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - coal face soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2011 8:51:00 AM More reviews by pf3855

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

As a 48 year old that still has extremely oily skin this soap has fast become one of my favorite daily routine items for skincare! We don't have a LUSH store in my state and I stumbled across this cleanser in the store in Seattle and am loving it. I love that squeaky clean feel it leaves me with in the evening before i use my nighttime moisturizer, my skin is radiant and glowing and the few little areas of concern I had on my chin are gone! I don't find it too drying for my oily skin and it leaves me clean & radiant. Definite repurchase!! Just wish we had a store here in OKC!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2011 5:39:00 AM More reviews by lovelydiva

I've used it about a week and this become my fav facial cleanser. I have acne prone skin and oily/combo. This cleanser really controls my oil. Some ppl says it's drying..yep..the soap is only for oily skin if you have like dry or dry/combo skin this may not be the one. But for the ppl who suffer oil and break outs, this should be the one for you. It significantly reduced my break outs. I use two times a day. I feel nice, clean and soft everytime after i wash my face. I can see my skin looks more clearer and the skin texture changed. I used Grease Lightning after that. I just simply love this product..

rated 2 of 5 on 2/14/2011 12:44:00 PM More reviews by neonpen

I like the smell of it... I had to keep it in a soap container so it wouldn't melt or ruin the soap. For some reason whenever i use a face wash with "Coal" in it, It gets stuck in my pores and makes them noticeable. I liked it at first but now it's just a regular overpriced soap that makes my pores show.Will not repurchase...

rated 3 of 5 on 2/2/2011 10:44:00 PM More reviews by AprilEm

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I used this product for a couple weeks, and ended up not using it again.
My reasons?:

It's very drying, and I just found that it didn't work for my skin anymore!

I have now been using Lush Fresh Farmacy, and It's soo much better!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2011 10:21:00 PM More reviews by defygravityelphie

I really, really love this cleanser. I love the smell, which I honestly did not know was licorice. I love the feel of my skin after I use it. It leaves my skin feeling smooth, and I usually have rather rough skin. After using this for only 3 days, I see a HUGE difference in the overall look of my skin. I like to take a facial cleansing brush (you can get one at Sephora for, like, 5 bucks), get it wet with warm water and swirl it around on top of the soap. Then I use the brush on my face, and it foams up really really well that way. If some of you are having an issue with the way the cleanser foams up, try it that way. That should make it way better.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2011 5:15:00 PM More reviews by kamn

Bought this for my boyfriend who has very oily skin. He gets pretty bad blackheads due to oil so I bought this for him. It works fairly well, the blackheads are smaller in size but it hasn't cleared his skin up completely. I use proactiv so now he's using that in the morning and the coal face at night.
Love the smell even though I'm not a fan of black licorice, he likes it too because it's not girly.
It lasts forever which makes it a good deal.
I use it on occasion when I'm lazy but for me it's too drying to use often as I have combination skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2011 8:00:00 AM More reviews by Spurklie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I was given a large chunk of this as a sample to try from Lush, and it's lasting me ages! I probably won't need to actually buy a piece for months :)

I use this in the mornings as I need a cleanser that I can use very quickly in the shower and that I can just rub on with my hands and rinse off. This does the trick. My skin can feel quite greasy first thing as I use a rich moisturiser at night, and Coal Face leaves my skin feeling clean and refreshed.

It does feel a bit drying, but not so much that it's uncomfortable. I did have some breakouts before I first started using it which have now cleared up, but I'm not sure that Coal Face was the reason or something else. I like the smell, it doesn't smell like licorice to me, just earthy and rich. If it's still effective when I finish the sample I'll definitely buy another piece.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2011 12:28:00 PM More reviews by iamserpentine

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Other

LOVE IT. I have very oily skin and I used to have acne. I still get bad spots on the sides of my face. However, I haven't gotten a breakout in SO long because of this soap. If I have a spot, I use this and the spot is gone the very next day. Amazing. I find it a little drying on my face but once I use a moisturiser, it's fine. I've had this product for months and it's not even close to running out. A bit expensive, but I must say it was definitely not a waste of money.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/13/2011 5:30:00 PM More reviews by Winnie15

My facial skin can never decide whether it wants to be dry combination or oily combination and given that, I switch my products around a lot.
Switched to Coalface to dry my t zone out a little and its swung my skin to full on dry... It lathers well,( for a lush product, that is), smells ok, and leaves my face felling absolutely tight..i follow it up with a tea tree toner and Paradise regained( a moisturizer from Lush, that smells heavenly!)..The reason why I might buy this again is...with this trio of products, my face looks fresh and matte all day, and that makes this worth it for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/10/2011 8:16:00 AM More reviews by GlossyGirlox

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

Coalface makes your skin feel clean, SOFT, and most importantly, it doesn't give you that that tighter-than-spandex feeling that other products sometimes give you after washing or exfoliating your face. It really does a wonderful job at whisking oil away and leaving your face feeling refreshed. You use it like any other soap--wet the bar and rub it in your hand to get a lather going. It lathers up really well and you still get the bits of exfoliators that you need. Because it is a black soap, it can leave an unpleasant looking dark residue on your wall soap dish so I suggest either buying the tin from LUSH or getting one of those plastic soap dishes with a cover (to prevent the soap from encountering excess water). Because this is a natural product, you're not going to get an artificial flowery or fruity smell or anything like that. So, not to say it necessarily smells bad (because it doesn't...at least not in my opinion) but be forewarned that the smell may not be for everyone. I'm not too good at describing it's scent, but the best I can come up with is that it smells Herb-y.
As for price, because LUSH stores use a scale to weigh and price their products that are made in bulk, you can ask them to cut you a very small piece (about 4 or 5 dollars worth) to initially try or better yet, you can ask for a free sample! You can buy as little or as much as you want therefore cost is really up to you! I usually get a 1/4 pound and its about 11 dollars. This may sound like a lot of money for soap, but in actuality it's not because it lasts me a long time--about 2 and a half months!