September 22, 2014 | 1037 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - coal face soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2011 12:28:00 PM More reviews by iamserpentine

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Other

LOVE IT. I have very oily skin and I used to have acne. I still get bad spots on the sides of my face. However, I haven't gotten a breakout in SO long because of this soap. If I have a spot, I use this and the spot is gone the very next day. Amazing. I find it a little drying on my face but once I use a moisturiser, it's fine. I've had this product for months and it's not even close to running out. A bit expensive, but I must say it was definitely not a waste of money.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/13/2011 5:30:00 PM More reviews by Winnie15

My facial skin can never decide whether it wants to be dry combination or oily combination and given that, I switch my products around a lot.
Switched to Coalface to dry my t zone out a little and its swung my skin to full on dry... It lathers well,( for a lush product, that is), smells ok, and leaves my face felling absolutely tight..i follow it up with a tea tree toner and Paradise regained( a moisturizer from Lush, that smells heavenly!)..The reason why I might buy this again is...with this trio of products, my face looks fresh and matte all day, and that makes this worth it for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/10/2011 8:16:00 AM More reviews by GlossyGirlox

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

Coalface makes your skin feel clean, SOFT, and most importantly, it doesn't give you that that tighter-than-spandex feeling that other products sometimes give you after washing or exfoliating your face. It really does a wonderful job at whisking oil away and leaving your face feeling refreshed. You use it like any other soap--wet the bar and rub it in your hand to get a lather going. It lathers up really well and you still get the bits of exfoliators that you need. Because it is a black soap, it can leave an unpleasant looking dark residue on your wall soap dish so I suggest either buying the tin from LUSH or getting one of those plastic soap dishes with a cover (to prevent the soap from encountering excess water). Because this is a natural product, you're not going to get an artificial flowery or fruity smell or anything like that. So, not to say it necessarily smells bad (because it doesn't...at least not in my opinion) but be forewarned that the smell may not be for everyone. I'm not too good at describing it's scent, but the best I can come up with is that it smells Herb-y.
As for price, because LUSH stores use a scale to weigh and price their products that are made in bulk, you can ask them to cut you a very small piece (about 4 or 5 dollars worth) to initially try or better yet, you can ask for a free sample! You can buy as little or as much as you want therefore cost is really up to you! I usually get a 1/4 pound and its about 11 dollars. This may sound like a lot of money for soap, but in actuality it's not because it lasts me a long time--about 2 and a half months!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2011 8:21:00 PM More reviews by arvetka

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love love LOVE this product! I have acne and clog prone skin and i was fighting with really bad cystic acne for more than a year. I was looking for something that would even out my complexion, make my skin clean and soft without leaving it overly dry.
IŽve been using Coal Face for more than a month now and IŽm amazed. My face feels squeaky clean after washing, I got rid of most of my beloved blackheads and clogged pores and IŽm very happy about its peeling effect too since I prefer a little abrasive cleansers.
IŽll definitely repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/25/2010 9:01:00 PM More reviews by Aimusk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've been using Coal Face for a few months now, and I do like it and it works well with my skin type during both summer and winter weather. I have combination skin with occational breakouts right before my period. It does a great job of keeping my skin under control during those breakouts without drying my skin out. I haven't even been using a moisturizer, exept for my liquid foundations, (terrible I know!) and it keeps my skin balanced all over. I do use the BB Seaweed mask once a week though too to provide my skin with moisture in the areas it needs it. I'm currently testing out some of Origin's moisturizers at the moment...the cleanser is not working out for me though (see my Checks and Balance review for more info). Anyway, back to Coal Face. I love the smell personally, and that there are little shimmers in it (they won't show up on your face from what I can tell). My only gripe about this product, and the reason I'm going to stop using it, is the price. I would say I go through about one $13.00 bar every month because they tend to break down really fast. I try to keep it in it's own little dish, but sometimes I take it into the shower and it sits in there while my roommates shower as well and breaks down with the water and humidity. It may be the way I'm caring for it, but it just doesn't seem to last long enough for the price. I know $13.00 sounds cheap but when you compare it to other amazing products I've used that are a little more expensive ($30-$40) that come in a pump and one pump is enough, and the whole product lasts for 6 months it's a better deal even though your putting more money out up front. It ends up being half of what I spend on Coal Face every month for a year ($156.00). One of my favorite cleansers, which I will probably be starting to use again even though it's more money up front, is by Only YoursX Skin Care and it's called Gentle Citrus Cleanser. You can only find it through a licensed cosmotologist though I believe. I get mine from Trevino Skin Care in downtown Seattle in the Nordstrom building. That line has alot of great products and they do last about 6 months. I just decided to try Coal Face months ago because I didn't want to spend alot on a cleanser at the time so I picked up a bar for about $7 to try it and liked it but it ended up being more expensive in the long run to keep using it!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2010 2:02:00 AM More reviews by clancyyyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I bought this soap twice now, the first time small chunk and lasted me a long time. Now i'm using a wedge of this soap that cost me about $20. I really like this soap! I have oily, acne prone sensitive skin and I have no negative reactions with this soap.

After I wash my face with soap, I can see that my face looks more brighter and feel refreshed. It washes away the oil but my face doesn't really feel tight after. I follow up with Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel after for good measure.

The smell is reminiscent of licquorice. I wasn't used to the smell at first but it grew on me. After I clean my face with this soap it seems easier to extract my whiteheads and blackheads with a removal tool.

It has a gritty-ish feeling but I never use this directly on my skin to exfoliate, I think it's too rough for that. I just lather this soap first in my palms a bit and massage the foam on my face.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2010 8:37:00 AM More reviews by alyola

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I use this soap time to time .According to lush it's the only product includes%18 soap indigirents.My skin get nuts time to time and bocome incredibly oily that's the time i use this soap .Smell is strong but ilove it jasmine and lavender i pick up as smell from this product generally.And a little amount enough to make bathroom smell great.But do not use it for the body it's a extereme cleanser it will make your face squeaky clean.Does the job when i need to.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/18/2010 9:16:00 PM More reviews by theramenninja

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

i received a chunk of coalface soap as a free sample... and i knew instantly i had to have a whole bar. (DARN YOU, LUSH!!!) i'm a moderately oily individual and my face can handle the harshest cleansers (i regularly use Oxy Maximum Extreme Benzoyl Peroxide or whatever it's called...) to keep my skin clear. I used coal face on my face and neck and i LOVED the sensation--then i wanted to use it on my body... so i did and then the next thing i knew my sample was all gone :(

UNFORTUNATELY my face became very dry afterwards (which is semi normal because it is winter) but i had to moisturize the crap out of it. which i don't normally have to do. but who cares, i really like the smell of it and the scrubby sensation.

I'd recommend this product to anybody who has pretty oily skin (it's not for the sensitive types) and likes to switch it up from their usual cleanser. protip: keep it in your shower, and use it as a face/body wash after a workout. A+ Thanks again Lush for seducing me.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2010 8:27:00 PM More reviews by itskirby

This is the only face wash I've found that works for me. I use it every day, it doesn't dry my skin out but makes it clearer, smoother and less oily. I got a tiny 5$ slice of it and it lasted me for months. I generally have skin that is a mix of oily and dry.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/8/2010 8:26:00 PM More reviews by tori8780

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is ultra harsh to my mildly sensitive skin. Even if I didnt rub it directly on my face it was very drying. And if I did rub it on my face for exfoliation it was just plain scratchy. I would not repurchase this.