October 1, 2014 | 1996 users online

Styling Products - Kerastase - Elixir Ultime

rated 2 of 5 on 1/19/2012 3:59:00 PM More reviews by JJBO

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I liked this product at first. It seemed to do a good job defrizzing my hair after washing and didnt weigh it down. Seeing on here that it contains silicone has really annoyed me as I have heard the same thing about silicone being rubbish from (good) hairdressers. I would also like to know why cosmetics (expensive and cheap) always put fragrance and benzyl alcohol in frigging EVERYTHING!! Plus I absolutely hate it when products' websites rave about key ingredients and neglect to give you a full list of what's in them.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/5/2012 5:55:00 AM More reviews by MOWCAM

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This, for, me, did exactly the same a Moroccanoil - seemed great the first couple of uses, then managed to tangle the ends of my long, fine hair and leave it a mess after a while. usen 175th of the bottel, the rest will prpbebly stay on the shelf untill my next throw-out-everything-that does-not-work-stint. Waste of good money.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/14/2011 11:28:00 PM More reviews by Meisie100

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have protein sensitive hair and this was good for that. As a pre shampoo treatment it was very nice. As a post shampoo/conditioner product the initial results were good but the next day my hair would feel very dry. Packaging nice and easy to use but there is such a wider selection on the Market now I feel this is over priced.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2011 1:40:00 PM More reviews by cec233

I really wanted to give this product a higher rating, but I can't after I read the lists of ingredients on the package. I have been using BioSilk Silk Therapy for years and recently stopped using it because I read a comment about how silicone in hair products suffocate your hair. This is exactly what happened to me - hair gets drier and frizzier after years of usage, and I kept using more of it thinking my hair gets drier as I grew older. I switched to Kerastase Elixir Ultime because of 1) the rave review I saw here 2) I thought this product contained mainly 4 natural oils including argan oil. Oh well, the top 2 ingredients are still silicone (Cyclopentasiloxane and Dimethiconol). I'm truly disappointed for paying such a high price for yet another silicone hair product. I have also been experimenting with pure organic argan oil as a hair serum and I'm seeing better results even though the argan oil costs less. I'll be using natural / organic hair products from now on and I will not be purchasing this kerastase oil again.

Edit: I'm changing the rating from a 2-star to a 5-star. Why the change? It's because now I realized not all silicone was created equal. The silicone used in this product is probably of much higher quality. I've been using it since the fall of 2011 and my hair looks great without any signs of "suffocation" or damage. Besides, my hair is quite curly and this serum keeps my hair straight when used with a blow dryer, something argan oil just can't accomplish. One bottle (125 ml) will probably last 1 year and 10 months for me (app. 3 pumps a week) so it's actually not that expensive because it would last a long time.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/12/2011 9:43:00 PM More reviews by mandms08

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I wasn't that impressed. Well, not $54 impressed.

What I loved: The smell! My hair felt like silk. I have very fine hair and it did not weigh my hair down at all.

What I disliked: While my hair "felt" great, it certainly didn't look any different after styling. I had to apply quite a bit to my dry hair to smooth it down.

If my hair had looked as fantastic as it felt, I would have said this product is liquid gold.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2011 7:17:00 AM More reviews by l3xileven

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is hair product gold for me. Light, non-greasy, adds shine and silkiness to my long hair and last forever! One and a half pumps gives me a lovely, sleek, bouncy blow dry and a bottle lasts me about a year. My hairdresser says my hair has never been in better condition. I use this with fairly standard high street shampoos and it has transformed my look - I definitely recommend it!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2011 3:06:00 AM More reviews by fiby

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a true miracle product. I'm in constant search for good leave-ins and de-frizzing products, and was first sceptical about this - how could the oils really be as good as everyone claims? But oh my, they are. I was so lucky I got this for free and thank goodness I did, since the price is insane. I've been using this as a leave-in conditioner; I need for my middle-back length hair two pumps. Then when my hair is dry, I add an additional 1/3 of a pump and it gives so much shine and softness! You could also use this before shampoo to prevent damage but I don't think the product will last very long so won't use it for that.

+ Great smell

+ Gives tons of shine

+ Gives great smoothness and defrizz

- Very expensive

- If you have long or unruly/dry hair, this probably won't last ages

rated 3 of 5 on 11/28/2011 1:06:00 AM More reviews by bab2939

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Meh it was okay. For the price I wouldn't buy again. At over $50 for a hair product I expect otherworldy results! They called it "liquid gold" at the salon I purchased from, but I would say it's more like liquid sterling silver. Felt nice as it was drying on my wet hair, but after flatironing, nothing special. Was supposed to help recondition my hair with use, after using the entire bottle was not convinced of this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2011 9:21:00 AM More reviews by minimad

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I wash my hair every other day and use dry shampoo on the other days. On the days I wash my hair I apply this oil while my hair is still damp. I thought with my hair being so fine and generally greasy on its own that this might not be a worthwhile product for me. I was wrong! This oil somehow manages to make my hair soft and light. I have RedKen to add shine but cannot stand the smell, so Kerastase has been a terrific find for me. Now I can use my dry shampoo and not have hair that looks dried out at the ends and greasy at the scalp.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2011 3:26:00 AM More reviews by hippihanna

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Not a fan of this product.
I was so excited to try this as i thought kerastase never dissapoints but what a kill- joy it turned out to be.

When it comes to using oils as a pre- shampoo treatement, i make my own mix of natural oils consisting of avocado oil, castor oil with/without tee tree oil, rosemary oil and sweet almond oil. And that does more for my hair than a whole bottle of this very expensive elixer would ever do.
When i use it on my damp hair, im still not crazy about it because there are better oils and serums available at a cheaper price that give me better results. Even the oleo-relax serum from kerastase is better.

Another similiar product to this is the Schwarzkopf Professional BC Bonacure Oil Miracle Finishing Treatment. It's cheaper and better.. I would suggest to give that a try instead.

This product doesn't work extremely well for my hair type at all so i will not be wasting my money on it ever again.