Shiseido Nourishing Mascara Base

4.3

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

One of the most underrated products EVER. I've been using Shiseido Mascara Bases since 2006. There are 2 noticeable differences between the first base and the current base:

1) The consistency: the current base has a slightly liquidy consistency. I remember the first base has a thicker, kind of clumpier texture. The current base also takes a little longer to dry. With the older base, I would wait 2 minutes for it to dry before applying mascara, now I have to wait almost 5 minutes. But besides that, it almost seems like the primer performs the same way. It still holds my curl throughout the day and defines each of my sparse lashes. (Making them seem fuller and thicker)

2) The brush: the older brush had a smaller, fatter brush and the current primer has a long, more narrower brush. Personally I prefer the current brush because it reaches the corner of my eyes and coats each of my lashes without having to pull or tug my eye to get the product in there. Also, I think the current brush distributes an even amount of product whereas the previous one would sometimes clump up on its own and then it would take me longer to spread the product out.

Overall, I love the Nourishing Mascara Base. I think it is pricey but definitely worth it. I use this everyday but at the same time, this product lasts me for a very long time. I only apply about 2 coats for each eye. Definitely worth the money.

on 7/24/2011 12:21:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

Best mascara base I've used! Far superior to its discontinued predecessor.

Pro:
-transparent in color
-keeps curls (esp. for stubborn straight-ass asian lashes)
-provides separation and length

Con:
-pricey to be replaced every few months
-could use a bit more horse power in the volume department

The way I see it: this base will take your not so ordinary mascara to the next level. Yes, it's expensive but you can save by purchasing good quality drug store mascaras!

on 7/20/2011 10:05:00 PM

This makes my lashes look great. It helps keep the curl and makes my lashes super long. It is the secret to making my lashes look great. It doesn't way my lashes down.

on 7/3/2011 7:50:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

[EDIT] I've probably repurchased this more than 3 times. This base is AMAZING with L'oreal Voluminous Carbon Black, it gives me dramatic, dark lashes with moderate length and great volume. It is the closest thing I can get to my 'holy grail' mascara look!
However, it doesn't work with ALL mascaras. I found out recently that the Chanel Exceptionnel in Waterproof and the Urban Decay Lush Lash mascara is too wet/heavy for the base to hold the curl (It's a good mascara by itself though!). [/EDIT]

This is an amazing, gel-based and lightweight mascara base. I like the base to dry for a few minutes before I apply a non-waterproof mascara (that doesn't hold a curl by itself) but if your using a waterproof mascara on top, for example, Shiseido's Lasting Lift mascara, then apply it directly after you apply the base as it is goes on more smoothly.

I use my "Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil" to remove it and it comes off nice and easy.

After I take it off, my lashes don't fall off as often and it looks more full and healthy so the 'nourishing' claims are true :)

When worn alone, it slightly darkens the lashes and makes them glossy but under lights, you can see some grayish fibers (the formula doesn't contain any fibers though) on the tips of your lashes which isn't very attractive so layering black mascara on top is essential! This is a must-have for stubborn, asian lashes!

on 6/8/2011 4:53:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

This product hold my curl like no other! I have tried countless curling mascaras (in conjunction with an eyelash curler) and my short, stubby and straight lashes would lose its curl. Once I started using the mascara base, I can cry and still have a curl afterward. I honestly don't notice a difference from the older formula compared to the current one. I'm not sure whether it is actually nourishing my eyelashes, but as long as it holds my curl, I will continue to purchase this product.

on 5/29/2011 2:00:00 AM

Colourless base which is great for holding a curl on its own. ANd it lasts all day long. However this seemed to be the new formula which doesn't seem to volumising as much as it used to with the old formula. Its still a good base for other mascaras which can hold a curl.

on 4/21/2011 6:30:00 PM

I was so faithful to the old formula (Shiseido The Makeup Mascara Base) and really didn't realize that the new one I purchased was not the same. Well, I shouldn't say that; it did run through my mind that my newly acquired purchase didn't seem to thicken my lashes at much, but I figured it was only because the product was new and needed time to dry out a bit. I even saw that the tube now said Nourishing, and still didn't catch on.

Obviously I eventually figured it out. Truth be told, now that I've had it a while, I really don't mind it. It still isn't as fabulous as the old one, but it still holds my curl, which is most important to me, and I've yet to find a primer that's better.

on 4/21/2011 6:09:00 PM

I really, really love this base. My eyelashes are so straight that they point downwards so i have to curl the crap out of them to make them decent. This base holds the curl and makes my fine lashes look much thicker. I use Maybelline's One by One mascara on top and it's a great combination. I end up with thick, full lashes that are still separated. The trick is to not let it dry when you use it. Put mascara directly on top BEFORE it dries and you'll be fine. I will always have this base as a part of daily makeup routine, love it!

on 4/20/2011 4:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Shiseido was the first mascara base brand that I had. I have strayed - and tried different brands afterwards, but always - ALWAYS return to this one. Apparently they revamp the formula and lots of people prefer the old one than the new one. But me -I don't mind either way, really. Both are very good - and the best mascara base there is. The older formula is thicker, and the new one is lighter - but that's about it. Staying power, awesomeness - remain unchanged. My favorite part of this mascara base is the fact that it is clear (looks milky white on the brush, but when you apply it goes on transparent). Definitely my HG!

on 4/10/2011 11:51:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is my holy grail lash primer!! This is a clear lash primer that helps me keep my lashes curled and looking good. I use this with the dior mascaras iconic and extase, and it makes me look like I wear fake lashes in the best way possible. I will definitely repurchase when I run out!!

Top Rated Shiseido Products