November 26, 2014 | 1783 users online

Mascara - Shiseido - Nourishing Mascara Base

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2011 7:50:00 AM More reviews by influxious

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

[EDIT] I've probably repurchased this more than 3 times. This base is AMAZING with L'oreal Voluminous Carbon Black, it gives me dramatic, dark lashes with moderate length and great volume. It is the closest thing I can get to my 'holy grail' mascara look!
However, it doesn't work with ALL mascaras. I found out recently that the Chanel Exceptionnel in Waterproof and the Urban Decay Lush Lash mascara is too wet/heavy for the base to hold the curl (It's a good mascara by itself though!). [/EDIT]

This is an amazing, gel-based and lightweight mascara base. I like the base to dry for a few minutes before I apply a non-waterproof mascara (that doesn't hold a curl by itself) but if your using a waterproof mascara on top, for example, Shiseido's Lasting Lift mascara, then apply it directly after you apply the base as it is goes on more smoothly.

I use my "Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil" to remove it and it comes off nice and easy.

After I take it off, my lashes don't fall off as often and it looks more full and healthy so the 'nourishing' claims are true :)

When worn alone, it slightly darkens the lashes and makes them glossy but under lights, you can see some grayish fibers (the formula doesn't contain any fibers though) on the tips of your lashes which isn't very attractive so layering black mascara on top is essential! This is a must-have for stubborn, asian lashes!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2011 4:53:00 AM More reviews by iheartNARS

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product hold my curl like no other! I have tried countless curling mascaras (in conjunction with an eyelash curler) and my short, stubby and straight lashes would lose its curl. Once I started using the mascara base, I can cry and still have a curl afterward. I honestly don't notice a difference from the older formula compared to the current one. I'm not sure whether it is actually nourishing my eyelashes, but as long as it holds my curl, I will continue to purchase this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/29/2011 2:00:00 AM More reviews by poldanser

Colourless base which is great for holding a curl on its own. ANd it lasts all day long. However this seemed to be the new formula which doesn't seem to volumising as much as it used to with the old formula. Its still a good base for other mascaras which can hold a curl.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2011 6:30:00 PM More reviews by maliastyle

I was so faithful to the old formula (Shiseido The Makeup Mascara Base) and really didn't realize that the new one I purchased was not the same. Well, I shouldn't say that; it did run through my mind that my newly acquired purchase didn't seem to thicken my lashes at much, but I figured it was only because the product was new and needed time to dry out a bit. I even saw that the tube now said Nourishing, and still didn't catch on.

Obviously I eventually figured it out. Truth be told, now that I've had it a while, I really don't mind it. It still isn't as fabulous as the old one, but it still holds my curl, which is most important to me, and I've yet to find a primer that's better.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2011 6:09:00 PM More reviews by mintyenn

I really, really love this base. My eyelashes are so straight that they point downwards so i have to curl the crap out of them to make them decent. This base holds the curl and makes my fine lashes look much thicker. I use Maybelline's One by One mascara on top and it's a great combination. I end up with thick, full lashes that are still separated. The trick is to not let it dry when you use it. Put mascara directly on top BEFORE it dries and you'll be fine. I will always have this base as a part of daily makeup routine, love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2011 4:54:00 PM More reviews by b3llav1ta

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Shiseido was the first mascara base brand that I had. I have strayed - and tried different brands afterwards, but always - ALWAYS return to this one. Apparently they revamp the formula and lots of people prefer the old one than the new one. But me -I don't mind either way, really. Both are very good - and the best mascara base there is. The older formula is thicker, and the new one is lighter - but that's about it. Staying power, awesomeness - remain unchanged. My favorite part of this mascara base is the fact that it is clear (looks milky white on the brush, but when you apply it goes on transparent). Definitely my HG!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2011 11:51:00 PM More reviews by koreancutie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is my holy grail lash primer!! This is a clear lash primer that helps me keep my lashes curled and looking good. I use this with the dior mascaras iconic and extase, and it makes me look like I wear fake lashes in the best way possible. I will definitely repurchase when I run out!!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/7/2011 6:50:00 PM More reviews by starzi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

Bought this after finished the old formula. Must say that the old formula is WAYYYYY better than this one! I feel that the old one thickens a lot more than this, but still, the Nourishing Mascara Base does do what it claims to. It protects your eyelashes, it still holds the curl, but just doesn't thickens as much. Why did they discontinue the old formula!? Still be getting this one tho I guess, can't find any that's better. It's not bad, just not as good as the old formula.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/6/2011 7:45:00 PM More reviews by empressxia

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't really notice a difference between the old and new formula. The new ones still holds the curl very well. I will continue to use it. It this be a stable for Asian girls who wear mascara.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2011 9:01:00 PM More reviews by LoryLoca

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Just get this. I used the original for many years, ran out a month ago, then discovered it was discontinued. I read the reviews and was hesitant to purchase it, but I'm very glad i did. My mascara smudges and my lashes look awful without this. I used to use 2000 calorie mascara with it and the combination was incredible...I'm happy to say that CV lash blash (orange tube) and this together makes my lashes thick, curled, long and free of smudges. It's worth the cost...I'm raving about it. Really.