December 19, 2014 | 1037 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - Book of Shadows Vol. III

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2010 7:03:00 AM More reviews by Tuts311

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I had promised myself that i wasn't going to buy this, i had seen the photos of it online and wasnt very impressed. But being a true Mua'er when i seen it in Debenhams i convinced myself that it was a brilliant bargin (Which i still think it is). So i bought it thinking i would sell it on Ebay if i didnt like it.. But then i got it home and swatched the colours. May fav colours are Money & suspect. Im nc15 brown hair and i love browns and greens. Im not a fan of the packaging, this Bos is pretty heavy, and i think they could make them more travel friendly . But still , i love the colours i just wont be bringing this on holidays with me :) The only thing that really really annoys me about this is that they put Midnight Cowboy Rides again it it. Dear god UD still putting that horrile glitter mess in every Bos.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2010 6:50:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I wasn't going to buy this...I REALLY WAS NOT going to buy this! My only other UD palette is the divine Naked palette and I was really pleased with it and with the quality of UD shadows but I really did not need a palette with a stupid pop up, a stupid ILLUMINATED pop up that makes the package bulky and silly and not practical. I didn't need or want a lot of the shadows in the set (or so I thought). I had seen this palette in store, was very tempted by Loaded but I really didn't need this palette and the price was silly when compared with Naked (I resent paying for a child's plaything of a package, packaging I don't even want). Then 2 things happened. FIRST, I saw the absolutely gorgeous Eman on youtube doing a look with the Nars Rajasthan duo. I can't get that duo here - Sephora doesn't have it (curses!) and nowhere near me has a dedicated Nars counter. But Christine at Temptalia wrote in her review that Loaded was very close to the darker shade of the Rajasthan duo. So I started thinking that maybe I'd buy it for the sake of just this one shadow, which doesn't make a lot of fiscal sense but anyone here at MUA knows that "I don't have a choice if I want that one colour" feeling....and the first cracks appeared in my resolve. THEN I saw another youtube person's head-turningly amazing look using this palette. So my resolve almost crumbled away entirely, and it crumbled FAST! So I called my nearest Sephora and was relieved to learn they still had a few of these left. Last traces of resolve GONE (if they had one left, I told myself, it was "meant to be mine"). I had it put on hold and I now have it in my possession. Some of the colours - especially the ones with a lot of fallout - probably won't get used much (or at all) but the others - oh, wow, are they ever beautiful. And Smog, which was also in the Naked palette, is a shade I love so it is worth having again. Midnight Cowboy Rides Again is such a nice looking shade in the pan that - what a shame that it is so bad for fallout. It would be a real winner colour if they would get rid of the rainshower of glitter aspect of it. How can they not KNOW or how can they continue to ignore this factor? It's not even useful as a cheek highlighter - it just looks like that cheap glitter glue that you can buy in craft stores that my kids used to use when they were young. What a waste and what a shame.

I am very happy to have this palette, though. I tried Midnight Cowboy Rides Again last night and I still found glitter on my cheek this morning (bah!) but Loaded is as great as I was hoping, as are many of the other colours. The 2 pencils are great to have and I am one happy make up addict!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2010 1:24:00 AM More reviews by Falafel_is_gr8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was really excited to get this finally in the mail, so I tried each of the colors on.

My eyes were like... a DOUBLE RAINBOW all across my face, WOW wow WOW. So %$@%ing intense. Wow wow oh my god. SOOO BRIGHT FULL ON DOUBLE RAINBOW OH MY GODDD, So bright, SO VIVID. Sometimes it looks like a triple rainbow. This is the baddest @#$% e/s palette I've ever seen!

I was left wondering: "What does this mean?!?!" It makes me want to sob tears of joy until a puddle forms so I may use it to water and nourish seeds which grow into trees so we can all renew Earth's life-giving green bounty.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2010 7:07:00 PM More reviews by elleLuv5

This is my first Urban Decay product (I know! what the heck was I thinking?). And I love BOS Vol. III. Most of the time I like to wear coloured eyeshadows as opposed to neutral colours so buying this palette was a no brainer. Every colour is beautiful, well pigmented, and shimmery. I find the purples and greens especially gorgeous! Like most have said, the glitter in some of the shadows are quite annoying especially for 'Midnight Cowboy rides again' and 'Uzi'. However, I found that by lightly patting the eyeshadow on the eyelids as opposed to dragging it across minimizes the glitter fall out. I think you really need to tap the excess shadow off your brush to prevent anymore glitter landing on your face. I also find that the size of each eyeshadow is pretty generous (.03oz) and will last for a very loooong time which makes it an even better deal (about $74CAD including tax). Although I like the NYC tribute and the lights on the pop-up which makes it appealing to purchase, packing this for a trip will be a bugger! And ultimately the pop-up doesn't do much for me as I am more interested in the eyeshadows and the quality. Also, just as most (if not all) UD palettes this comes with the travel size primer potion and two 24/7 Glide-on eye pencils in Ransom and Zero which I love!! Overall, BOS Vol. III is a great buy for anyone who appreciates good colours and a lot of it!! Looking forward to purchasing more UD products especially since they don't test on animals!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2010 10:48:00 PM More reviews by mellypmakeup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a nice palette, I like most of the shadows. Yes there are some shadows that have way too much glitter in them. I haven't really worked with all of those specific shadows yet but I do intend on finding a way to use them without looking like a disco ball.. for the most part there are a lot more shadows without glitter so that out weighs that small issue. I do like the NYC tribute but i do think the packaging is very bulky. This is not something most people will be traveling with. It is a pricey palette but you get 16 shadows, 2 liners and a small UDPP I think it was worth it.. I'm happy I made this purchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2010 10:05:00 PM More reviews by spacecow17

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ok I hate to be dragging all the positive comments on this palette, but this is my PERSONAL OPINION. I've been playing with all of these colors for weeks now, using different colors and combos. But I keep seeing some similar patterns among the darker shades!

The colors of this palette are beautiful. Yes. And they are pigmented...on your hand. But wait till you blend and blend! It seems that the more I blend, the more the eyeshadow loses its color and pigmentation. Instead of fading into this nice gradient that mixes in with the different colors, the darker shades such as Rockstar, Loaded...become almost like a charcoal grey muddy color! I didn't pay for 3 or 4 charcoal or a black grey eyeshadows, I want a dark forest green or a dark plumish purple! If anything, i have Perversion to give me that color already.

Not to mention this palette has a lot of glitterbombs. Having a lot of fallout is a lot to deal with for some people, regardless if the color is pretty. The Ransome 24/7 Glide eyeliner provided is a nice vibrant purple, however again, its lacks within the pigmentation department.

Packaging is cute, however if its going to be bulky, it wouldn't be a travel size friendly palette. Again, for some people, there are those that care about practical packaging or portability. Yes the NYC lighting theme is cute, but in the end, what is the lighting and all the pop ups going to do? It even covers the mirror, so you can't even use that.

All in all, I dont think its worth shelling out for $54 bucks imo. This palette was such a huge disappointment. I prefer the Naked Palette over this one anyday. If youre into vibrant colors and you can deal with the glitter and don't mind much fallout then be my guest if youre willing to shell out money for all of this.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2010 10:09:00 PM More reviews by ldyshallott

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

just bought this and so far am in love. it comes with 16 eyeshadows, 2 eyeliners and 1 mini eye primer potion. the packaging is super cute too. (who doesnt love nyc?) i bought this at ulta and got 2 free mini eyeshadow primers as a free gift with purchase!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/2/2010 9:16:00 PM More reviews by nezinka

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Okay, so I saw swatches and reviews of BOS3 and I wanted it...badly. I patiently waited for it to get to Sephora and I am glad I did so. I went to Sephora today so I can check it out and I almost bought it...I probably would have bought if I were in a better financial situation but I am not. I don't care for the packaging or the NYC skyline, I live in NYC so I get to see the real thing. The main gripe I have with BOS3 and the main reason I did not get it is all the glitter bombs in this palette. It is not just MCRA, there is Uzi , kush, moui wowie, snatch and I think one of the blues. I loved the colours and I LOOOVEEE the money shade. (I almost caved for this shade alone) But with all this glitter...it is just not worth it. I love moui wowie but even with pixie epoxy and packing tight, i still get glitter all over and the worst is when it gets in your eyes, that is not even funny. I had the worst eye infection when glitter was stuck to my contacts for a whole day and I am sure it is the same for all galls with sensitive eyes or contact wearers. I am praying they make Money into a single shadow or put in another palette with less glitter as it is a gorgeous gorgeous colour. However, for the time being- I shall pass on yet another BOS.( I just do not understand why they even have to put all this glitter in the shadow it is completely unnecessary!)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2010 10:30:00 AM More reviews by MalibuMands

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

- - - - - - - -
Contents
- - - - - - - -

EYESHADOWS

Perversion - Matt black.
Uzi - Silver with glitter, so there is some fallout.
Loaded - Deep shimmering green. It almost looks navy in certain lighting*
Kush - Medium green, with a shimmering finish. *
Midnight Cowboy Rides Again - Mega glittery champagne. Gorgeous colour, but the large amount of glitter is very messy.
Last Call - Pinkish plum, with an lilac shimmer.
Rockstar - Deep blue-based purple. I think this is meant to be matt too, but there is a hint of shimmer. *
Money - My favourite in this palette. Blueish mint, that is the almost the exact same shade as is seen on US dollars. Contains silver micro glitter*
Haight - Cheerful swimming pool blue, with the shimmer finish. *
Maui Wowie - Gold with a greenish base. Contains silver micro glitter.
Smog - A shimmery golden copper.
Bordello - Shell pink, with a lilac shimmer.
Radium - Slightly darker than Haight and a heck of a lot brighter. Has a shimmery finish. [Not for the timid as when I say bright I mean it] *
Snatch - Another favourite of mine. A lovely shade of apricot, with silver micro glitter. *
Suspect - A light bronze with golden shimmer. *
Psychedelic Sister - Bright purple, with a blue/pink shimmer. *

* Exclusive. Not available to purchase separately.

24/7 EYELINING PENCILS

Zero - Traditional black kohl.
Ransom - Bright purple, with some iridescence.

Primer Potion - 3.7 ml

- - - - - -
Verdict
- - - - - -

At first I wasn't sure about buying this - mainly because I already have Volume II [which contains Perversion and Midnight Cowboy Rides Again], and The Naked palette [which is entirely filled with neutral shades], plus three of the new shades are green - which is usually a no-no for my blue eyes. But I saw the final palette in Boots and a woman was following me around and willing me to put it back down, so I naturally went ahead with my purchase.

I don't regret it one little bit. I've been using my set for a few weeks now and have used all of the green shades a few times [even all three at once last week], in fact Money is now my favourite Urban Decay shadow [the green is light and the blue tinge and silver glitter make it very wearable]. The only colour I'm not sure about is Kush - the shade is a tad too warm for my eye colour to be worn alone. I either blend it with another colour [Loaded is my favourite for this] or smudge it under my lower lashes like a liner.

All of the brighter shades can be worn regularly with blending or using under the lashes, so if colour is not your thing I'd still highly recommend giving this a go and experimenting on mixing the shades up to find a unique combination. Out of the sixteen shadows and two liners the only things I'll never use are Perversion and Midnight Cowboy Rides Again, and out of those only one is because of because of the lackluster quality.

I know that 31 seems like a lot of money to spend on a single make-up item to some people, so allow me to break down the individual prices and ease your guilt: Individual eyeshadows are 12.50 each, the 24/7 eyeliners are 11 each and the Primer Potion comes in at 11.50. So you smugly inform people that you have actually paid 31 for 233.50 worth of product. If you happen to be in smart-mouth mode add that you've saved 202.50 (Fine print: Individual product sizes are a bit bigger].

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2010 5:23:00 PM More reviews by sugaryandspicy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this BOS, every color is amazing! The quality of the shadows is great. I think my favorite is Money... I also love all the color choices! This is so great, I usually stick to neutrals, but if you are going to play with color this is the best way. And, the packaging is seriously to die for!