September 16, 2014 | 1252 users online

Eyeliner - Tarte - EmphasEYES waterproof clay eye shadow & liner

rated 3 of 5 on 9/7/2010 9:10:00 PM More reviews by beauanderos

i REALLY wish i loved this eyeliner, because its hard for me to find a cream/pot style eyeliner that doesn't dry out AND transfer to my upper eyelid after midday, but this did both. after about using 80%, its dried out. I would use it more as a cream eyeshadow instead of only a liner. Would not buy again, but i guess ill just have to trust artliner by lancome...it'll be my HG liquid for now.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2010 9:52:00 PM More reviews by lalaland

I got this in black and brown and was initially very very happy...until the black one dried out. I think I only got two uses out of it and then it cracked. I don't care what anyone says about "saving" dry liners...it is never the same for me..and why should I have to bother. I made sure to securely close the lid and turn it upside down. The black was the first to go and then the brown which was moister to begin with...dried as well. They cost too much to dry up so quick. I don't think its the formula as much as the packaging. Somehow the packaging allows air exposure, no matter what. This may not be the case for all of the them, but it definitely was for mine. I wish that didn't happen because they are nice gel liners that are more natural than other ones..highly pigmented, smooth and rich. But what's the point if you can only use it at its best condition a few times. BTW the brush is pretty nice..not super soft but nice.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2010 3:38:00 AM More reviews by dianab04

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I cannot believe how well this eyeliner stays on! It looks like liquid liner but glides on like paint with that wonderful brush. It's highly pigmented, dries super fast, and most importantly, it will not smudge. I have tried so many "waterproof" eyeliners and this one is the only one that truly is waterproof. Seriously - try it. You will love it.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/25/2010 1:52:00 PM More reviews by roselynnbelle3

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Even though I am 45, I have oily skin. I purchased this hoping it was going to be the answer to smudged eyeliner by early afternoon, unfortunately, it wasn't. It is very easy to apply with the brush that is included. However, I did not find it to be long wearing, For the price, I will stick with Maybelline eye studio gel liner. That also smudges on me by midday but is half the cost.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2010 5:17:00 PM More reviews by suzannekittymeow

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have this in "Black" and "Indigo." Fabulous stuff, glides on like butt-ah and stays put. Doesn't budge on oily lids. "Black" is, well, BLACK. Intense and matte. I love it as much as BB's Gel liner. "Indigo" is a unique and complex color. I wouldn't describe it as a true indigo--it's lighter, but with a gorgeous medium blue/lavender sheen. No glitter (and not really a shimmer, either) just a cool sheen, similar in color to quality Tanzanite. A beautiful alternative to basic brown or black. Love the formula and staying power, fabulous!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2010 11:58:00 AM More reviews by ghostBuddy

I've had this liner for a little over a month now and overall I will say that its the best I've used. Its increadibly creamy and pigment so using it is super easy. My only complaint is that its claimed as waterproof and I believe smudge proof..that for me is not true in the least. Maybe mine's defective or maybe the hot Riverside weather (that's what I blame it on) is too intense. I will be moving soon to a cooler place and if there's a change I will update. (Although it should work as advertised everywhere)
With that being said I would still repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2010 7:07:00 PM More reviews by dirtyrat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

i have been lemming this liner since i first saw it on the Sephora website and wondered if i REALLY needed another black "gel" liner. MAC blacktrack fluidline is my go-to gel liner - but it does take a bit of time and re-application to get the line defined and dark so i have been using it less and less in favor of UD 24/7 pencil liners, but have been missing the precise line look of gel or liquid liners.

Well i picked this up at Sephora and i think blacktrack may have been replaced! this stuff glides on like a dream but is SO much more pigmented than MACs fluidline!

The brush is a fantiastic bonus - fine line, cat eye, smuged eye - it does it all with ease! i def want to purchase at least one more color of these - a littel goes a looong way - this sill last me forever!

I am pretty oily and always use waterproof liner and mascara - and so far this has stood up through a hot and humid day no problem, def my new favorite liner <3

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2010 5:22:00 PM More reviews by cookeyy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've tried the MUFE aqua gel liner, the Coastal Scents gel liner, and the Wet N Wild gel liner, and this is definately the best out of all!! The first 3 dried up pretty fast, and although they had decent color payoff, this one is better all around by far. EmphasesEyes clay eyeshadow/liner glides on so smooth and dark (I have the black color), and is very easy to work with. It stays put on the top lid and on the waterline! Urban Decay 24/7 liner used to be my hg for the waterline. I'm on my 3rd liner, and lately it hasnt been staying on as good, maybe due to my watery summer eyes. So now the Tarte clay liner has taken over my eye and I cant find anything bad to say about it!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2010 6:45:00 PM More reviews by Teacakeanyone

LOVE it so far! I'd given up on gel liners years ago. They were always so much work, it seemed to me, and I detest ones with a mousse-like texture because it's so hard to manipulate them on a brush. But I read so many glowing reviews of this, I had to try it out. After swatching in the store, I made a bold department from my makeup routine and bought the bronze. Perfection. When I lightly put this on my eyes in the store, I thought, "Hm, light bronze. More subtle than I normally do. Maybe there's something to this." When I got home and have used it the past couple of days, I thought, "Delightful! It's not dark, dark brown because of the metallic quality of it." It defines my eye without being drastic, which is hard for me to find.

As for the texture, it's solid in the pot, yet truly does glide on the included brush. I find I have to re-dab my brush a couple times, but I'd rather do that than get globby messes everywhere that are a pain to clean. BIG TIP - on the Tarte Youtube channel, they have a video about this product. The woman recommended taking the pointy end of the brush and twirling it in a circle motion horizontal to the pot so it coats the brush all over with no big liner glops. Great idea.

As for the included brush, I love it. I've read a couple places now that Tarte is not going to include the brush forever. It's more of an introductory thing. So grab one while you can because it's wonderful for free! There is a thin, pointy side for thin lines and a small essentially smudge-brush end for thicker lines and softening the look of the liner. This is not some cheap, crappy brush thrown in at the last minute like some other companies I could mention have done. :)

For others thinking about trying this, I recommend it. It comes in black, which is solid matte black; brown, which is a matte dark brown; bronze, which is a metallic lighter brown; indigo, which is a metallic blue (not very navy, I don't think); and plum, which is a metallic brighter purple (not really plum). Hope this helps!

*Edit 6/14/10 - So this can't hold up on my bottom lash line, but few things can. Everyyything smudges for me there, so I'm not going to hold it against this product, though I wish it lasted better. Still adoring the color, texture, and brush, though!

*Edit - 8/13/10 - If I could return this, I would. Despite its color being perfection, it constantly dries out. I've "revived" it a number of times by putting it in with some boiling water and letting it sit for 5-10 minutes. I even mixed it up the other day with a few drops of mixing medium. This also showed me how very, very little product you're actually given. But, as others have mentioned, the price is worth it for the brush. Oh, well. continued >>

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2010 10:58:00 AM More reviews by harls321

I own it in the bronze and it feels so creamy and smooth. Comes with a great quality dual ended smudge & liner brush. I like to apply a sheer wash of color with my finger as an eyeshadow and then line it with the thin liner brush, layering it for more intensity. If I want more drama I will line my inner rims with the original emphasEYES liner in brown. It is a super quick eye look for no fuss, long lasting summer mu.