October 26, 2014 | 917 users online

Eye Primer - NARS - Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base

rated 4 of 5 on 10/22/2013 7:08:00 AM More reviews by nfa160

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am now using the second tube of NARS eye shadow primer. In a nutshell, I previously used LancĂ´me concealer alone under my daily eye shadow and it caked easily, so I looked up reviews for popular primers that prevented caking and made eyes shadow last. There were many reviews mainly on Urban Decay and Nars. I went for Nars. A tiny lentil size amount is needed, put on your hand, then dab in your finger and gently apply it inside out on both eyes, and I use a smaller amount under the eye too because I go for a smoky look with grey, khaki, and medium tones, not only black for the evening. I put my foundation on top, then another concealer layer. The eye shadow is placed perfectly, although it is a bit difficult to apply as it doesn't run as smoothly as it would without primer. But, the results are satisfying. Eye make up lasts longer, and no caking. I purchased one tube which lasted around a year and I'm still using it despite the fact that I purchased another tube. I am very happy with NARS eye shadow primer. Note: if you put more than a small amount, you won't get a desired result. Less is more with this product.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2013 9:06:00 PM More reviews by lauractinapay

On my third tube of this despite the annoying packaging (had to chop this in half when I cannot get anymore product out. I put the remaining product in a tiny jar with the lid closed very tightly) and expensive price. It works on my super oily eyelids. It prevents eyeshadows from creasing. UDPP, Too Faced, Bare minerals, etc. do not work at all!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2013 7:00:00 PM More reviews by evillittlekitten

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Unimpressed.

Have gone through a two tubes of this, and I just can't get it to work for me. No matter how much (or little) I use, no matter how long I wait for it to "dry down" or set or whatever, I just can't get through an entire 8-hour workday without my lids fading -- or worse, disappearing outright.

And here's the punchline: my lids aren't usually the problem -- without any primer whatsoever, my lids are fine, but my CREASES are what disappears! So with this NARS primer, it's the opposite: my creases are intact, but lids are completely bare.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

The other thing I've noticed is that it feels like it's harder to blend shadow over this primer. Blending out my crease becomes a (bigger) chore. I'd willing do it if I at least had the guarantee of the primer doing its job through the entirety of a single workday, but alas...

I wouldn't call myself an eye primer expert -- I've only tried UDPP, MAC's PPs, this one, MUFE, and Lorac (ok, maybe that's a lot?) -- but this one is handily my last choice.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/14/2013 11:33:00 PM More reviews by flameangel

True to its hype, this totally blows the mediocre UPDD out of the water. A saviour for my extremely oily lids. Eyeshadows that used to crease and eyeliner that used to smudge on me when I was using UPDD hardly creased or smudged after I started to use NARS pro-prime. (Only a teeny bit at the end of a long day. I think this is fair enough.) I have tried Elf's mineral eye primer and Etude House's Proof 10. Nars', without a doubt, performs way better than them too. This eye primer dries down extremely fast too, great for busy mornings before work.

The only downside is the price and packaging. It is pricey but only a few bucks more than Urban Decay's at where I live. I do think that the eye primer is worth the money and I would buy it over and over again.

Regarding packaging, the signature rubbery texture was nice at first but the white rubbery tube soon became dirty with my foundation. (I use eye primer after I apply foundation.)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2013 9:09:00 PM More reviews by s70princess

I have hooded asian eye lids, I do have a crease and my eyes aren't super small, but every shadow or liner I wear disappears, smears and/or smudges because my hooded lid touches my lash line whenever I blink -- so I pretty much gave up on wearing much eye shadow except for a light wash over the lids or a dark rimming of waterproof eyeliner or dark shadow (with a sealing product) around my entire eye. I had tried UDPP years ago and hated it, it felt siliconey (for hooded and oily lids that's really bad news as it felt so sticky and heavy everytime I blinked) and it always messed up the foundation over my lids and was always streaky everytime I tried to apply it. Then along came NARS Pro-Prime, and my eye makeup life has changed ... I can finally wear eyeshadow that stays in place on my hood lids now! I first received it with the NARS God Created a Woman palette (perfect dark shades for rimming my eyes) and decided to give it a try since it was included in the box (eventhough I wasn't really expecting much after such bad experience with UDPP). Immediately I could feel the texture of Pro-Prime to be much different than UDPP, it applied much smoother and more evenly over my foundation primed lids, and it dried to a nice finish, no heavy or weird siliconey feeling! Then when I brushed eyeshadow over my lids, I noticed my eyeshadow adhered to my lids so nicely, whereas before, it would never stick or just get messed up everytime I blinked. Throughout the day, I kept checking my eyes in mirrors and I was amazed, my eyeshadow really held up an entire day which had never happened before -- WOW. I seriously love this stuff and without sounding too dramatic, I feel this has really changed my eye makeup life -- finally, with this product, I can now feel confident in trying to use some of the many eyeshadows in my stash. Thank goodness NARS included a small sized one in the God Created a Woman palette otherwise, I am almost certain I would have never discovered this product -- after being turned off my UDPP (and eye primer products in general) long ago, I had really given up on being able to wear much eyeshadow on my hooded lids. So ladies, if you have hooded lids or any kind of problems with eyeshadow smearing or smudging, I highly HIGHLY recommend you give this primer a try!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2013 6:47:00 PM More reviews by Arpita1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My tube felt very dried out and like there are not a lot of uses in there. It helps with my eyeliner smearing problem, but not enough. It doesn't really brighten up my shadow, and just doesn't do enough work for the money. I still end up with my eyeliner and shadow pilling in one particular spot on my eyelid.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2013 1:04:00 PM More reviews by SuzanneDee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Were I just reviewing the formula I'd have whipped up five stars. The primer is the best I've ever used. Many pretty notches above the Urban Decay (which is thicker and gives matte shadows a tree-bark texture) and the L'Oreal (which is heavier and eats up any dimension a shadow may have inherently had). The Nars version is a thin white paste that quickly dries colourless, and delivers a smoother base for shadow so your finish isn't quite as crepey. It makes shadows last the longest – I've had 12 hours of fresh-looking wear, which was hilarious because the rest of my face looked like it was about to give up!
But it's Nars' thoughtless packaging that makes me want to kick the design people. Opaque tube and doe-foot applicator? What were you thinking? How is one expected to know when they've reached the end? And what happens then? How do you scrape out the last bits? And as someone who uses concealer before primer, what use is a doe-foot that picks up concealer even as it deposits primer?
I end up applying the primer with my fingertips so as to not sully the tube. And I plan to cut open the tube when I'm done. Both represent a failure of design. Haven't they learned anything from the UDPP genie-bottle fiasco? This is a pricey product. Clearly all the money went into product development, not design.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2013 9:50:00 AM More reviews by galsunday

I got this as a sample in a gift set. I applied carbon- black eyeshadow for the smokey look over this product and went for a whole nite of salsa dancing. Wowwwww ...Im impressed! With all the sweating and panting, my extremely heavy eye makeup didnt crease & looked fresh even after hours of mambo!...But sadly my Mac- zoom- lash- mascara ran & left racoon eyes on me :(

I actually liked the wand/tube packaging ... its travel friendly. The white cream didnt feel sticky and felt like a nice eye cream. One swipe of the wand does it for me for each eye lid. It doesnt feel heavy.

Im ready to invest in full size (...despite its hefty price tag!). But this baby works, so Im sold!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2013 8:29:00 PM More reviews by Selphia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

The product is nice but the applicator packaging is terrible.
It turns yellow when it goes off and can separate in the tube.

My eyeshadow does look better but some times it ruins my base make up if I apply it to my lower lash line area.

I'm on my second tube, applying this with a clean brush is better than the applicator or fingers.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2013 2:28:00 AM More reviews by ckmchan7

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

best eye primer i have ever tried (including UDPP, TFSI, mac paint pots, mac prep and prime, benefit). used to be loyal to urban decay before this but nars blows that out of the water! this is the only thing that manages to stop my eyeshadow and liner from creasing throughout the day. comes in a lipgloss style tube with doe foot applicator, would have been better if this was in a squeeze tube to get the last bit of product out easier but only small drawback. colourless on the lid so will not correct any discolouration/redness if that's what you are looking for. HG item for me. will definitely re-purchase once finished!