LORAC Behind the Scenes Eye Primer

4.1

Isododecane, Talc, Trihydroxystearin, Polyethylene, Disteardimonium Hectorite, VP/Eicosene, Copolymer, Triethylhexanoin, Cyclopentasiloxane, Isopropyl Lanolate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, PEG-40, Stearate, Propylene Carbonate , Beeswax (Cera Alba), Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Phenoxyethanol, Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77499, 77491, 77492).

on 11/7/2012 12:04:00 PM

I received this as a sample size when I purchased an eyeshadow pallet. It's awesome! No irritation, and my shadow seriously stays put. I have oily lids, so my makeup always tends to crease and disappear quickly. This makes it stay put all day/night long. I use a little even when just wearing liner, especially under the eye. Will definitely purchase the full size when I use up the sample, but a little seems to go a very long way so that may be a while!

on 9/14/2012 10:23:00 AM

With eye primers for me I find that when I use one for a long time it stops performing. I was in the market to try something new and chose this based on MUA reviews.
For the record I have very oily eyelids that suck up eye makeup within an hour or two of application, so primer is a must for me.
I am really enjoying this primer! My shadows are lasting beyond an 8-hour work day with minimal creasing or loss of colour. It has caused no irritation or spots (I am a contact leas wearer). Very impressed!

on 9/13/2012 11:19:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

The primer did it's job well enough, nothing really amazing, just prevented creasing. Wouldn't buy again, but only because it seemed to irritate my contacts.

on 8/25/2012 3:16:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I have been on the hunt for a gentle yet powerful eyelid primer since January of this year. Name a primer, I've tried it - NARS Smudge Proof (great formula but caused extreme milia), Too Faced Shadow Insurance (weak AND caused mild milia), Bare Escentuals Prime Time (overpriced and underwhelming), Urban Decay Primer Potion (nice but not quite powerful enough), MAC Paint Pots (decent but the colors wouldn't always play well with some of my eyeshadow shades and brands), etc etc etc. After 8 months of experimenting, nothing impressed me, until I tried Lorac Behind the Scenes.

About my eyelids: While the skin on the rest of my face is quite dry, my eyelids range from normal to occasionally oily; perhaps combination might be the best way to describe them. This strange phenomenon meant that I had to approach searching for an eyelid primer slightly differently than I approach looking for face primers, skincare, and foundations. It took me a while but I realized that by the end of the day, my lids will create small amounts of oil and cause creasing to even my most pigmented and long-lasting eyeshadows (even Chanel's Illusion D'Ombres, which contain a setting cream). However, my skin is INCREDIBLY sensitive, so I've needed a primer that is a one-two punch of delicate yet effective.

After three weeks of wearing Lorac's primer, I can safely say that Behind the Scenes fits the bill. The consistency of the product is creamy, almost a bit moisturizing, and I think it evens out the texture of my lids. It just feels plain good to gently work a little of it into my eyelid area and let it sit for a good 10 - 15 seconds. The color of BtS goes on almost clear, but it adds just a tiny hint of opacity; it evens out the color of my lids, in addition to the texture. I think on "no makeup" makeup days, I could add a little bit of this product to my lids for a subtle bit of emphasis without eyeshadow, and it would look fantastic!

I have never found a primer that's this easy to work with. My eyeshadows glide on top; I have no problem whatsoever with blending, and the colors stay true to pan shade. I am a graduate student and counseling intern, so I need my makeup to last a good 8 - 12 hours some days. At the end of a hectic day, my eyeshadow still looks as good as it did in the morning; pigmented, creaseless, and pretty. I highly recommend purchasing this product, particularly if you have sensitive skin.

on 8/20/2012 6:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I am searching for a replacement for Alexandra deMarkoff Disguise for Eyes, the ne plus ultra of eyeshadow bases. After searching I tried this out in a Sephora today and was impressed enough that I bought it. To my disappointment, when I got it home and tried it myself, I discovered it went on really nicely, but then had the same problem I have with Urban Decay's primer: it is so tacky that you can't swipe color on smoothly. You can pack it on, but you can't swipe it, and once a glob of it gets on your eyelid, there it stays, in one big lump. It's not like I need to glue the shadow to my eyelids to get it to stick. I just need an evening base that holds and brightens the shadow. So bummer, back to Sephora it goes. And the hunt continues . . . . .

on 7/10/2012 12:26:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I have very oily lids and deep set eyes. Without primer, eyeshadow and even eyeliner creases in an hour. This primer works great and makes my eye makeup last all day long until bedtime! It's easy to apply and blend with my fingers, and is invisible on my pale, warm skin. My only complaint is that the tube has started to crack and I've only used about half the product. It's not leaking yet but I'm worried it will later, especially since I have so much product left to use!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Color: Off-white in the tube; colorless when blended on to lid
Fragrance: None noticeable
Formula, wear, consistency: This stuff is AMAZING. It is thick and creamy but still easy to spread over the eyelid and less drying than UDPP. It is, thankfully, also much less prone to separation than TFSI (no more squeezing out clear goop from your tube) and I find that the staying power it lends to eyeshadows is on par with UDPP and better than TFSI. It is less "grabby" than UDPP which makes shadows much easier to blend but they stay on just as long. I like it better than UDPP (my former holy grail and still in rotation in my makeup bag) for that very reason. The one thing I can think of that it isn't so great at is holding on to chunky glitter because it does not dry to a tacky finish. In terms of glitter hold, Too Faced Glitter Glue has it beat.
Packaging: An elegant gunmetal grey squeeze tube with a slant tip applicator (think of juicy tubes). I never apply straight from the tube; I always apply with my fingers.
Pricing and Availability: $21 or so at the time of this writing; available at LORAC counters and at Sephora and Ulta, etc. Note that you do get quite a lot for your money-0.47oz (13.3gm) vs the 0.37oz (10.5gm) in UDPP and 0.35oz (10gm) in TFSI.
Bottom line: My new fav eyeshadow primer :) I still love UDPP and I'll use TFSI if there's NOTHING else but I do prefer this over those other two.

on 6/19/2012 9:46:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

LOVE THIS! This is by far the BEST primer ever! It lasts all day, and has no creasing what so ever. Even after a long day it still looks like I had just applied my shadow. The small tube actually lasts a lot longer than you would think. Strongly recommend this product.

on 5/18/2012 12:02:00 PM

I had bought a LORAC palette that had a sample of this in it. The palette (unzipped) is meh, but the primer is da bomb!

I was using UDPP, but ran out and didn't really love it. So I hadn't used a primer in awhile, and tried this LORAC stuff- it's so great! It makes my shadow stay on really well all day (even through zumba!) and my shadows look more vibrant. I don't like the hard slant applicator- I squeeze some out and use my finger, but the product that stays behind on the applicator dries out- but it's a small thing. It is expensive (wish I'd seen it on the 21 days of beauty), but I think worth it! I bought the full size after my sample ran out, and I'll keep buying it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I love this primer, it is definitely one of my favorites. The texture is really creamy and it has a nice nude tone to it that blends nicely. It holds my eye shadows in place with zero creasing all day and well into the night. The formula also does not dry out my lids, which is a problem that I have had with even a few high end primers. It's a little pricey but definitely does the job beautifully.