October 25, 2014 | 1809 users online

Foundations - Lucy Minerals Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2012 9:16:00 PM More reviews by frckls

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I feel seriously bad for people who find this product doesn't work for them. Either because of allergy with the ingredients, or even worse, can't seem to find a way to make it work.

This thing is miraculous. I mean, the usual catchprase that we hear is "cream to powder", this one's "powder to cream". Like, seriously? And boy, does it lives up those words. I find it easy to work up the coverage from sheer to full. How great is that. It covers any redness and almost any pigmentation, but still has my freckles peeking through. Me likey.
It might look a little bit cakey and powdery right after application. But, after 15-30mins it does look very creamy and natural. By creamy, I mean it looks like my skin but much better. It just melds right into the skin. The key is just to buff, buff, buff.
If you can't wait that long, just spray the face with water. I even splash my face with water. LOL. However, if you can find the perfect shade (or shade mix) that works for you, you'll find you barely need to do that. It's hard to imagine someone fails to do so with the vast array of shades offered.

It is awesome in photos as well. Makes my skin looks naturally smooth. *sigh*

For my NC30 (golden medium complexion) I find that a mix of 1/2 and 1/2 of Creamy Bisque and Medium Golden each is perfect. Have to add a wee bit more of the latter when I tan in summer, but that's it. (UPDATE: Now I'm about NC35-the leftover summer tan-and Golden Medium is just PERFECTION)

I also use the original formula. I tried the OCC one, thinking my face is that oily, but found it way too cakey-looking and makes my face looks dry. When I tried that, my face was peeling from a tretinoin treatment and it latched onto those dry flakes. Funnily enough, the original one seemed to helped off the flakiness a bit.

I think I should've given it 1 star for price. Although it costs 14bucks a pop on the first purchase, the jar is still a quarter full after more than a year. And that is with me dividing some of it to little jars to keep it in my purse and boyf's apartment. You only need a SUPER TINY amount every usage to cover the whole face and jaw and neck, and even the chest. And I never find any need to touch up as it's waterproof, sweatproof, and lasts the WHOLE day.
Tested through the sun and sweat and humidity and sea and rain and snow.

====UPDATE (Nov 2, 2012)====
This summer, to make morning routine much more quick since I went on summer holiday with a bunch of people and I didn't want to have anyone waiting for me doing a long routine, I mixed this with my sunscreen of choice (Boots Soltan Baby Lotion SPF50+). It also made easy reapplication after dipping into the sea. It held up amazingly after a long swim, but of course sunscreen needs to be reapplied constantly. But no coverage melted off my face.

At the beginning of this fall, my skin improved from the latest skincare regime I got into, so I no longer needed whole-face coverage. Used dry to spot conceal with RT pointed foundation brush and it still melts beautifully into the skin. No one really can tell that I spot-concealed.

Then, growing lazy and not wanting to rely on brush, I started dabbing the powder on the areas I want to conceal when my sunscreen (-cone based SkinAqua UV Moisture Milk SPF50) is still wet, and blend. When the sunscreen dries off, all the pigmentations are gone.
Mixed directly into the sunscreen, it creates the loveliest finish of foundation. Dewy, luminous, healthy looking skin. The coverage lasts throughout the whole day, too, through anything. The finish looks very similar to NARS Tinted Moisturizer, except that this mix does NOT oxidize and patchy after a few hours like NARS.

This mineral powder is a bliss to be mixed with quite a variation of liquids, sunscreens in my case. When it set, it lasts ALL. DAY. LONG.

I tried to replace this foundation a couple times with fancier brands. Kept crawling back, instead.

Absolute all-around winner in my book.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2012 1:48:00 PM More reviews by lisawardddd

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

About 6 months ago I realized my face had started to become super congested. I switched foundations FIVE times (EL Double Matte, MUFE HD, MUFE Mat Plus, Lancome Teint Ultra and Laura Mercier Mineral Pressed) and it only got worse with each product. Then one night I happened upon a message board that suggested cosmetic acne. BAM! That was it. I nixed all my 'cone and bismuth hydro products and set out to find something that'd cover my patchwork of acne (scars and active).

Lo and behold, I found Lucy. In a word, amazing. I have crazy oil skin, acne and I'm super sensitive. This product is wonderful for both. It covers, imparts a velvety finish and feels so nice. Does it stay matte all day? No. Do I care? No. Because the coverage is so lovely, I don't care if I look a bit sheenish because it feels so great.

I am using the OCS in pale olive and I am adoring the OCC finishing powder. I think the best part of the line (and the item I didn't much consider prior to the order) is the Ambrosia oil. It's to die. I do like Anne says and put it on my skin wet out of the shower and it sinks right in and makes a perfect base for minerals. There is is no greasy shine left behind -- it just feels smooth and smells wonderful

Customer service superb. I ordered on Thursday night and it was in my mailbox Monday afternoon.

Highly, highly recommended.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2012 11:27:00 PM More reviews by glamglamglam

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Okay, so I started breaking out and switched to mineral makeup. I tried BE, Hourglass, and Alima. Hourglass worked the best for me, but it ran out quickly and cost around $50, plus it was very sheer so I had to use a light layer of foundation underneath. When complaining about the terrible breakout I got from BE on here, a user emailed me and told me about Alima and Lucy Minerals. I received Alima in the mail first and thought it was okay, but didn't beat the Hourglass.
And then Lucy Minerals came. OMG, I like this sooo much! I was very stupid and over-used my Retin A, so my skin basically got a peel, and I've been having to practically bathe in moisturizer, so my skin has been really dry/really really oily (moist). However, despite all of these factors, this makeup has stood up surprisingly well. I'm currently testing out different shades/foundation types,and the finishing powders as well.
When it comes to the foundation, I love it! The coverage is so so amazing. I even ordered the brush from Lucy Minerals, and it came today. The concealer brush should be coming Saturday-Monday, and it really boosts the look of the foundation. I am a person who uses like a million products on my face (like mixing two types of foundations and/or powders), but I feel like with this, all I need is primer, this, and a finishing powder. It also looks extremely natural. I gave this a 5 because my skin is in a weird place right now, so I'm still playing around with different formulas.
The CONS:
There's really been only one so far, but I'm convinced that it can be fixed if I try a different formula. The makeup tends to slide off of my face pretty quickly, even with finishing powder on top. However, I can just add more makeup and it looks fresh. Still, I ordered a sample of the oily skin formula and finishing powder, because this concerns me. I didn't take off anything for this though because 1. my already oily skin is being suffocated with moisturizer these days, and 2. the original/light formula may just not be for me.
I have recommended this foundation to about four people so far, I am so so excited about it.
I rated the price a 2 because it might be expensive for some, but I consider it super cheap. I'm still using my sample, so I imagine the full size, which is like $14, will last me months, whereas the Hourglass which was $50, lasted me about three-four weeks.
I feel like everyone should try this foundation at least once and play around with it. So far, this has really impressed me, and I am not easily impressed.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2012 10:25:00 AM More reviews by Jods101

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I've tried so many different brands of MMU and I've found a few that I really liked but nothing has really wowed me, until I tried Lucy Minerals. I ordered a few samples just to try it out. The samples came in little sifter jars and I received a free sample of an eye makeup along with my order. This is unlike anything else I've tried. It's hard to describe what this feels like on the skin. When you first apply it it's similar to other mineral makeup but over a short period of time it just sort of melts into your skin and it becomes creamy. To me it looks more natural than any other mineral makeup I've tried. It doesn't make my skin look glittery or shiny (which I love) but instead it's more of a smooth finish. It has alot of pigment in it and it gives great coverage so a little goes a long way. I usually have to wear a concealer under my eyes with other makeup but with this I don't even need it. I have to avoid makeup with common irritants in it like bismuth oxychloride because it causes breakouts and makes my skin itch terribly so I was happy to see that this doesn't have ingredients in it that irritate my skin. In fact the original formula actually has a few antioxidants in it but there is also a formula without them too called "Lucy Light". I wore this with no itching, no irritation and it has great staying power. (If staying power is a problem for you try using a good quality primer underneath it) My only complaint is that I didn't think there was enough of a variety of color selections in the foundations but they will make a custom blend for you if you can't find an exact match or if you're in between shades etc. Shipping took a little longer than expected but not a big deal, all of the makeup is very reasonably priced, great customer service and I love being able to support a small company too. What's not to love?!? I think I just may have found my HG in mineral makeup! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2012 9:54:00 PM More reviews by littleredbird1

I really like this foundation. Typically, I'm not a fan of powdery finishes, but I don't have much of a choice. After having pretty blemish-free skin my entire life, I developed hyper-sensitive, adult acne skin when I turned 23. Left with scarring, I need coverage through the day. Now, 2 years later I'm finally able to use products that don't irritate my skin. Cosmetics and moisturizers were a huge problem for me. This foundation doesn't cause acne, doesn't irritate my skin and covers beautifully. I like the finish--from far away--up close I can tell I'm wearing powder, I prefer dewier skin. However, of all the mineral makeup I've tried, this finish is the best. The ingredients are bar better than Bare Minerals. I'm still working through the sample size the company sent me.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/23/2012 9:26:00 PM More reviews by achick

I haven't had real luck with mineral makeup, this is the first one I actually love. I used the video they have up on the site for application tips. I can see how it'd take a few tries to really figure out how to apply it right for your skin. You can't just grab any brush and swirl it around your face and be done.

I use a flat top brush, tap off excess, than dab onto skin, buffing in some places. Letting it sit for 5-10 min is definitely important, it melts into the skin and looks really natural. Sometimes after the 5-10 min I buff some more. Once it's all done it looks like I'm not wearing makeup, which I love. It doesn't make you super matte, it lets your skin glow.

You only need the most tiny amount, so it'll definitely last ages (even a sample is big!)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2012 11:02:00 AM More reviews by eliandelly

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is the best makeup I've ever tried! I have tried many makeups! I have never liked mineral makeups but LOVE this one. I have acne prone oily oily oily skin. I am a little red too. I have acne scarring as well. This makes my skin look so radiant and natural. It covers my flaws. I do have to blot and touch up a time or two through out the day but with other makeups I had to touch up constantly. I look forward to putting on my makeup with this product.
When it comes to application, I have found that using the Lucy flat topped brush works better than my old brushes; and a little goes a long way.
The versatility of Lucy products is a plus. I use the ambrosia lip dip mixed with my Matte apricot blush to make my lip gloss. I mix my blondie brow powder with my charcoal liner as a "day" look for liner. I mix my bronzer with my finishing powder for a more subtle glow. Possibilities are endless.
You get so many free gifts with this product too.They always send free eye shadows(full size and samples) in addition to the free gifts (YOU get to choose your colors & you can choose which product(s) from their list!). You can also try samples before you commit.
This has lasted a lot longer than any other makeup I've tried!
Customer service is wonderful and the owner Annie is very personable.
Just can't find anything bad to say. I am hooked!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2012 12:33:00 AM More reviews by Sunnydelite62901

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I like this, I brought this in golden medium, yellow yes, but not as yellow as the bare minerals golden medium. On me the B.E one looks banana yellow. The coverage is nice. I like the shifter, its much more convenient then a container that has no shifter. I got a sample of the rich coco eye shadow I always use primer- but I must say the color is very nice very pigmented. I have been using my beauty blender sponge with this foundation. I gave the packaging a 3 because Mineral foundations are always so messy.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2012 7:27:00 PM More reviews by zomgblah

I lovelovelove Lucy Minerals!! I recently got back into a mineral makeup mood and went ahead and placed a huge order for Everyday Minerals. I had used their stuff before and loved it, but BOY was I disappointed! My favorite formula, Intensive, was discontinued and their Semi-Matte formula was lacking coverage. So my search continued... until I came across a small independent brand called Lucy Minerals! I ordered sample sizes of OCC Creamy Bisque, OCC Creamy Olive, OCS Light Medium, and Snow White. Creamy Bisque and Creamy Olive both fit my NC30 skin reasonably well, but I decided to use a 50/50 blend of the two because Creamy Bisque was a bit too yellow while Creamy Olive was a tad green. Light Medium was wayyy too pink for me. The OCC formula is great! My combination skin gets a little shinny around 6-7 hours, but it's more of a glow than an oil slick. I can't say much about the other 3 formulas, but if you have oily skin I highly suggest their oil control formulas!

Application can be a little tricky since the texture of the product is so different from other mineral foundations. I use a very light hand to get a TINY amount on my EDM flat top brush and stipple it on my face. I apply a single light layer first, then go and move on to my eye makeup. By the time I'm done, the foundation seems to have melted into my skin and, if needed, I apply a second light layer. I find this method gives me full coverage. If there are any small spots sticking out, I just take a stiff concealer brush and pat a little bit of powder on it. That's it! The first few times I wore this I made the mistake of not waiting after the first layer, and my face looked super cakey and fake.

Beside the product itself, I absolutely admire the company for their customer service. Shipping was very prompt and reasonably priced, and my package even came with a free eyeshadow sample and a hand written thank you note! Thank you so much Annie (and company) and I will definitely repurchase!!

**EDIT**
So sad to have to knock this down to a 2, but my skin just seems to react badly to this periodically. Somedays it works great, other days it causes me to break out. Once it caused part of my face to burn badly. At first I wasn't sure whether or not it was this foundation but after finding a regular cleansing routine and keeping the rest of my makeup the same, I am almost positive this is what is causing the reactions.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2012 8:28:00 PM More reviews by Lojona

I absolutely LOVE Lucy Minerals. The formulation is unique-unlike any other loose powder mineral foundation out there. You start out with a light touch with a small amount of product and build up from there. You need to give it a couple of minutes between each layer as the product warms and melts into your skin. I use the Lucy Flat Top Buffet, but sometimes I use my Everyday Minerals Kabuki for a light, more buildable amount. Plus, there Customer Service is 5 Star. The only drawback for me is the limited number of colors. My closest match is Shell Beige but it is a bit too warm for me as my skin can best be described as a light olive with yellow undertones. (The Olives are too green).