October 21, 2014 | 1795 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Healthy Look Creme Gloss Color

rated 1 of 5 on 12/7/2011 11:50:00 AM More reviews by hazyeyes

This is BY FAR the worst hair product I have ever used. I mainly just use root touch up products but occassionaly use an all-over color that washes out over time. I SO WISH I had never used this product! It is now a week after using it and my scalp still itches like crazy and my hair is falling out in huge amounts! Not only that but the texture of my hair is now dry and thin where it was always thick, shiney and healthy before using this product. My hair is down to my middle back and I probably only blow dry it about once a month if even that often. The color came out fine but at this point I could care less about the color. The damaging affects of this product FAR outweigh any benefits at all.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/4/2011 11:29:00 PM More reviews by drenee3

I purchased this product and come home and read these reviews. I almost didn't use it, but thought if I approached it carefully perhaps what I wanted might happen. I have a golden light brown/brown natural hair color, no dyes, all natural to the middle of my back. It's really long and there is a good amount of it. I just wanted to give it a darker shade for winter but not JET BLACK. So, I used half of the bottle and just made streaks all over my head (at the root) but concentrating on the front, then lathered it in and worked it out pulling as much color down the roots as I could. I then used the rest of the bottle for the lenght of my hair, really working it in constantly. I used only ONE BOTTLE. After I got everything covered and in I proceeded to the shower, turned it on, took of my clothes and jumped in. Thats as long as I waited, probably was completely in my hair no longer than 5 minutes. I washed it out and opened the conditioner thinking it was going to smell like cat pee. They obviously changed that because it smells like a strong banana boat product now. I proceeded to style my hair and dry it and the exact affect I wanted was accomplished. My hair was a darker shade of brown, a really dark brown but not jet black. It did dry it out just a tad but it was super shiny and soft. It definately did what I wanted to, and I would use it again. But I don't think its for everyone, and just leave it in minimal time to decrease your chances of BLACK!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/4/2011 6:49:00 PM More reviews by slicedgeek

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've used L'Oreal dyes without much of a problem before. It's been at least a year since dying my hair, so i wanted something less perm but that would even out my color (my hair is long, to my wait). It took 3 boxes, and that was almost not enough, but the problem wasn't that, it was the COLOR. I went from medium brown reddish hair, to BLACK. I left it on 12 minutes so it would give my roots coverage. And now it's black.

Also, like others mentioned, the conditioner smells rank. It feels great, but smells odd. Luckily that smell seems to wash out with a rinse.

Really, REALLY disappointed. Especially after having chosen this product specifically because it had been so long between dyes for me. To turn my hair a solid black is just gross and a huge waste of my money.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/4/2011 1:15:00 AM More reviews by lestrange

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I have dyed my hair with numerous at home box dyes. I've really become a fan of semi permanent dyes and I have never been anything but impressed with L'Oreal so I just had to try Healthy Look. I got it in shade 3 Espresso/Darkest Brown. One box was barely enough for my shoulder length hair. The dye made my hair feel just awful. Very dry and straw like. The conditioner it came with was very nice, rich, and moisturizing. The color turned out to be the blackest black imaginable. I wasnt really worried since I expected it to wash out to the dark brown color in one or two shampoos. It took a bit longer for it to settle on the dark brown color. I wash my hair almost every single day, and now about 6 weeks later, it is just slightly lighter. I have never had such an experience and am beginning to come to terms with the fact that this is going to be permanent. This may be good news to some people if they want to get fairly permanent effects with a less harsh dye, but this is not what I was going for. In all fairness, the color is great, but I just don't want it to be permanent when it should come out in 28 shampoos.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/1/2011 9:51:00 AM More reviews by brooklynbee

As "Brooklynbee" I was attracted to the royal jelly in this. :) Love this product! I was looking for something that would be both quick and gentle. I tried this in Darkest Brown. I have some grey at the temples, I just wanted to get grey coverage that matched my natural color. This hair color did the trick! It really did only take 10 minutes, and I got pretty good grey coverage. I must agree with the other commenters that the conditioner does have a bit of an odd smell to it, but it doesn't linger. I would definitely buy this again. Nice, even color and nice shine. I followed this up a week later with a clear glaze and my hair looks insanely shiny and healthy!!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/19/2011 9:44:00 AM More reviews by Suzie2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like this. My hair is quite gray and it grows very fast so I get visible roots in three weeks. If I color with perm color every three weeks, I will destroy my hair. If I color just the roots with semi-perm color every three weeks, it ends up building up and being permanent color anyway.

I use a coloring brush to even out the color, only apply to roots, leave on for an extra five minutes because my gray hair is color resistant, and then wash out, use the included conditioner, and then immediately wash and condition my hair to remove any remaining chemicals left on my scalp. I'm very happy with the results.

The color used to be darker, but it seems like the last box or two I've gotten have come out a lighter color. I wonder if they changed the product?

UPDATE 11/24/2013. I stopped using this quite a while ago. I find Wella Charm demi-permanent that I get at Sally' is much better and less damaging.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/1/2011 2:33:00 PM More reviews by mtperdue

i'm a natural brunette and have been getting it highlighted since i was in grade school. i was so sick the upkeep that comes along with blonde hair that i decided to color it dark for winter. i was really skeptical though, and a bit scared to dye it myself. i'd heard all kinds of horror stories about blonde hair going green/blue/grey etc when you put brown dye on it.
i decided to "test" out the hair dye by just dyeing the underneath half on my hair. i bought it in light brown/chocolate praline since it seems like it always looks dark anyway. i had seen this dye before but i only bought it b/c it was semi-perm. i was very nervous but pleasantly surprised upon washing my hair and seeing the finished product. it was a lovely brown color with no green or blue at all!! it looks natural and i plan to dye the rest of my hair too.
the only downside is it looks a bit red in artificial light but that's probably just the blonde coming through. and the dye was soo messy to apply it got everywhere so be careful!! the gloves that come with it suck. i also thought it was a bit expensive but i will def be buying it again!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/19/2011 8:08:00 PM More reviews by queenofthesalsa

The trick to this is to cut the processing time in HALF. So apply it quickly and then leave it in form maybe 5 minutes. I used the spiced truffle chestnut brown shade and I got the exact shade I wanted and not too far off from the box (starting from medium-dark brown hair, so naturally it's darker than pictured). I also put a little moroccan oil on my ends and bangs (which are dry and soak up more dye) first with good results. My hair looks super shiny but does feel a little drier after using this.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/7/2011 11:46:00 AM More reviews by sephora0205

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been severely disappointed by the two newest L'oreal hair colouring products (sublime mousse and healthy look). The colours turn out at least 3 - 4 shades darker than advertised. My natural hair is black and I colour my hair every 2 months. It was a medium brown with light brown highlights, turning brassy. Bought Healthy Look in Med. ash brown to tone down the brassiness. The formula is drippier than other boxed dyes but it was not horrible. The result is...awful! My hair turned out BLACK! I know my hair is more porous but this is not acceptable. Hair is matte with what feels like film - I washed my hair with shampoo + baking soda 3 times right after and the film-likeness is still there. I have to say this is probably the worst dye I have ever bought. Do not buy this. What a waste of money and time...

rated 1 of 5 on 10/6/2011 5:41:00 PM More reviews by LadyEight

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Other

Updating to say that SIX MONTHS LATER my hair is still the same color that it turned once it started to fade. Definite roots showing and intense conditioner/repair still required daily.

THIS STUFF IS PERMANENT. And super harsh. Awful for curly hair - majorly relaxes and kills curls.

The Healthy Look line is more permanent, and much darker than advertised. It also severely relaxed my curls - I now have to use tons of conditioning product like leave-in conditioner plus curl product to even get waves. My hair normally springs into medium-weight corkscrew curls almost immediately after washing, but after using this dye I barely get wavy hair without tons of styling - I only dye my hair maybe once or twice a year so it's not from over dyeing. This was literally curls before dyeing, no curls at all after - as my hair dried I got a sinking feeling in my stomach because there were no curls forming.

All this after leaving it in for only 8 minutes, just short of than the recommended time of 10 minutes.

The color I used was Cherry Truffle (kind of a pinkish red) which I thought would be nice since every other semi-permanent hair color is usually only a burgundy/purple red.

Initially the color turned out looking almost black with some bright pink highlights where light hit it. Everything else that wasn't in direct light was a super dark brown, almost black. It took about a week for it to lighten up a bit and it started to get close to the image on the box, but the red color faded before it ever got there.

I don't know if it is the product line itself since it works faster (10 mins vs 15 mins) or just because it was a more vibrant red, but this was much harsher than any semi-permanent dye I've used before, and now 4 weeks later the red has faded but my hair is just simply dark brown. I'm also afraid it won't come out to where I can get back to my natural golden brown color.

I will stick with HerbaShine for my semi-permanent hair color since I KNOW it will wash out, even if it is before the full 4 weeks. continued >>