July 29, 2014 | 2088 users online

Eye Primer - NYX - Eyeshadow Base in Skin Tone

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2010 12:52:00 AM More reviews by marippe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

i have very oily eyelids, so i like to use a tiny bit of this under my normal primer (bare study paint pot) and it tends to keep my shadows staying crease-free for longer than if i weren't to use it. blends easily &i have nothing negative to say about it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2010 12:31:00 PM More reviews by dddoxie

I own both this and MAC Paint Pot in Painterly and I prefer to use the NYX base, although they are very similar.

I like how creamy this is and how well it applies. The paint pot is very hard to work with IMHO.

Also, when I use the paint pot, it makes my eyeshadow look very scaly, and the NYX base does not do that.

Overall - like it much better than MAC and it is a fraction of the price.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/28/2010 11:39:00 AM More reviews by alyssa1312

everyone is saying that this was an oily product for me it was completely opposite it was kinda dry on my skin which makes it a little difficult to spread on my lid but for the price I love it. It made my shadows soo much brighter than normal and made my makeup stay longer (even thou this isnt a primer it still helped it stay a lot longer) and the price was great i will definitely purchase again.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2010 1:01:00 AM More reviews by melyssab

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Today was my First time using this or any eyelid primer, and Loved it!! I have oily lids and every time I'd use eyeshadow it'd crease and wear off in just a couple hours (I'd hate the way I looked after dancing or long nights out) And today my day started at 8:00am and just ended at 11:00pm! without a crease or fading in my eyeshadow!!! This day also included pouring rain and a warm humid texas afternoon! (typical texas weather!) I also sweated from setting up and moving heavy things. (we had a outdoor party) My makeup's still in tact! I applied my cream foundation first, then just dabbed a dot of primer on each eyelid and blended it out. I'm mexican and i don't think I'm real dark but i definitely don't need to tan! And this blended evenly with my skin tone. My eyeshadows were powder. I'll definitely buy again! It's only like $3.59? at ulta.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/17/2010 4:03:00 PM More reviews by MichisTouch

This isn't the best base in the world but for the price i like it. I had it crease on me when i used it alone. But if i add a nyx jumbo stick it dosen't crease. I like it for an everyday use not for going out on something special. I would buy it again just for what i said an everyday use.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2010 4:03:00 AM More reviews by captainflamingo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

The packaging is nothing special and the price is affordable. I'm an NC40 and this is of course light for me, but I like it because of that. It gives me that lightened base for me and intensifies my shadows. It keeps color in its place and for less than $8 I'll keep coming back to it.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2010 8:24:00 PM More reviews by blubandit85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this base. I use it as a primer and my makeup stays on all day. You don't need much and I like how it is in a pot form so its easy to control how much you use. Its almost as good as my UDPP but it is an awesome alternative because it its less than $4. I will be repurchasing!

Edit 2/20/11- After having it for a while I find that it is just ok. It is not at good as UDPP and my shadows do crease after a few hours. But if I am not to concerned with my mu for the day I will use this.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2010 3:57:00 AM More reviews by uraznbabygurl

I'm not too surprised about the mixed reviews on this eyeshadow base. I really do think that its performance greatly relies on a few factors, such as skin type, what kind of eyeshadows you're using, age, application and maybe other factors that I can't think of.

To start off, here's a background check. I'm 21 with oily skin. Without a base, eyeshadow would probably last less than 2 hours on me. So you can imagine my frustration with finding a good base/primer for my eyeshadow.

I thought that this base was terrible when I first used it with Maybelline shadows. After a long, hard-learned lesson (shuddup yall, mind outta the gutter...LOL), I realized that glittery shadows weren't for me at all. And I mean the chunky, MACRO glitter kinds. Unfortunately, most Maybelline shadows I have tried fall under that category. Not to mention their pigmentation varies from shadow to shadow, although most that I tried were average at best. I experienced lots of fading and quick creasing with those shadows.

Now I mainly use subtly shimmery shadows and matte shadows, and this base is great for that. All I do is dip my ring finger in (not the MOST hygienic thing to do, but it works) and apply a thin layer on my lid. I was extremely pleased that it made some of my NYX shadows (specifically, the Caribbean collection ones, which I LOOOOVE) stay on longer (7-8 hours). I had also tried this primer with some other matte shadows, which also worked well.

Some other nice things about this base is the packaging, color, and price. It comes in a little jar with a screw-top lid. Kinda like a Paint Pot, I think :P. This way, you don't need to worry about cutting open a bottle or wasting a lot of product, if any at all. The color of the product works well on my NC30ish skin. It's a peachy-yellow beige, and I'm sure it could be used as a concealer if desired. Lastly, I believe this base is $6-8 dollars! :]

So far, this is the best eyeshadow primer I've tried. I have tried ELF's Eyelid Primer and L'Oreal's Decrease, so I can't compare it to UDPP or TFSI. I would buy this product again. I'm sure that there are better primers, but this will do for me!

EDIT:
Even though this makes my eyeshadow last longer than the ELF primer (5-6 hours), I don't use it anymore. I have invested in TFSI, which is a far superior product. *shrug*. I guess there's no need for this one.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/30/2010 2:27:00 AM More reviews by ak1210

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am in love with NYX cosmetics, but i was truly dissapointed by this eyshadow base. L'oreal decrease works much better than this; this eyshadow base keeps my lids from not creasing for maybe 5 hrs at the most ): I was really hoping that this would work very well, but i was mistaken. I love the texture and the color as well as the packaging but the quality of the last power is just a dissapointment.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/26/2010 1:48:00 PM More reviews by xotsmoke

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I generally like this eye shadow base, but I can honestly say there have been better. It definitely gets the job done, but my eyeshadows don't really stick well to this base, you need to use a lot. (Which I do NOT like doing).
I paid $8 for this, and I don't think it's worth it.