October 1, 2014 | 1801 users online

Skincare - Face - Grapeseed oil

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2012 11:59:00 PM More reviews by baldymonster

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I never, ever would have thought to put cooking oil on my skin had it not been for MUA, so props to everyone here in the review section for convincing me. My skin looks amazing because of this. I'm prone to acne when I don't use drying treatments, and I used to think that acne-free but dull was the best my face could look. Happily, I was wrong about that. After using grapeseed oil for two months, I am absolutely glowing and I've even thrown away my conventional face moisturizer in favor of just the oil. No regrets.

Here's how I apply it: At night, after showering, I dab a tiny bit on a cotton ball, swab over my clean face, and use the other side to wipe up any excess. That's it. I look like a greaseball for about an hour, but when I wake up in the morning it's like my skin drank a glass of nectar or something. It's just radiant and supple and dewey, and believe me, I never thought I'd be describing my face with those adjectives. I will never be without this again. The fact that it's orders of magnitude cheaper than the cheapest face lotion is just icing on the cake. Once again I'm indebted to MUA and its ratings system. I would never have had the courage to use this as a moisturizer for my face if it hadn't been for the overwhelming consensus. Thank you!

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2012 5:39:00 PM More reviews by blondchick12

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using grapeseed oil for about a month now and so far I am pretty happy with it. I use it as a precleanse and altho I feel it rinses fairly clean, I need to follow up with either another cleanser or a toner to ensure I don't break out. I haven't seen any huge differences in my skin from using this but I *think* its helping with my jawline acne.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2012 1:57:00 PM More reviews by Sileny

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This is a review for NOW brand grapeseed oil. My doctor put me on spironolactone to help rid me of hormonal acne, and one of the effects is decreased oil production. While that is fantastic (normally, my skin is horribly oily), it meant that my current moisturizer isn't enough. I didn't feel like buying a night cream because my acne meds are costing me a fortune as it is. I have oils I bought for OCM for makeup removal, so I decided to put a couple drops in my hand and massage it into my skin. Seriously, don't use more than 2-3 drops because too much can overwhelm your skin and you might break out, which is the lesson I learned from using shea butter. It's easy to go overboard. And make sure your skin absorbs it because if it just sits on your skin, you might breakout because your pores are covered. Of course, this depends on your skin type, so try the smallest bottle you can find before getting a large one.

What's really nice is that it's a light oil that my skin absorbed really well and it felt a little velvety on the skin. I followed with my usual light moisturizer with SPF and I've had no issues with breakouts or blackheads. It did leave a sheen, but I used a little rice powder to fix that.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2012 1:20:00 PM More reviews by cerulfox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

Proof that oils are VERY much YMMV, as despite grapeseed being touted as the best for oily/acne-prone skin I broke out something fierce from this. Just one day wearing this and I had little black and whiteheads all over. The other, heavier oils I've tried (Emu, Argan, Camellia, Rice Bran) didn't do this to me. Definitely try out oils and don't commit to large sizes just because of reviews!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2012 5:27:00 AM More reviews by i8alltheBacon

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I use it in my hair as a treatment oil, as my body lotion sometimes and as a cuticle oil. I put it on my hair ends and twist it up in a clip and go to bed. I wake up in the morning and wash my hair....I also use it as a finishing gloss on my dry hair...works great. I use NOW solutions organic cold pressed grapeseed oil..I got the big bottle (the size of a reg shampoo bottle) it was about $12 at my local health food store....good deal considering how many uses I have for it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2012 9:56:00 PM More reviews by Remykat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

I have recently converted from cleansing oils to just, well, oil. Winter seemed a good time to try it out. I do a 4:1 ratio of grapeseed: jojoba. I just put it right into my hands, rub fast to warm it up, then massage onto my face. Then I get hot water onto my hands or a washcloth, press onto my face, and keep doing it until the oil seems to sink in. I add a drop of mild cleanser, but not enough to foam up. Massage in (and if you own a Clarisonic or other facial brush, use it), then rinse with tepid water. After 2 days, the dryness was gone. Within 5 days, all active acne was gone too. All the rest of my regimen was the same, so it had to be the grapeseed cleansing. I used it for a full month to control for hormone fluctuations, and this kept me clear and glowing.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2012 9:06:00 PM More reviews by EmJay31

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I started using grapeseed oil after seeing the reviews on here. My skin was really bad, I was breaking out all over the place and hated the fact that I couldn't go anywhere without foundation - in short my face was a disaster.

I was a bit apprehensive about putting oil on my already oily, acne-prone skin, but with nothing to lose I gave it a go. The thing to understand with this is that it is not an overnight miracle - it takes time and consistency in order for it to work. I've used it for about 2 months now, and although my skin didn't become amazing overnight, it certainly helped to clear up my skin and keep it relatively clear - grapeseed oil is slightly astringent which is great for oily skin and prevents pores from becoming clogged and thus helps to prevent breakouts. It also contains antioxidants, which protect against the signs of ageing, and is a source of vitamin E, which helps to heal acne scars.

I usually mix some grapeseed oil in with my moisturizer or apply it straight using a cotton pad every night - by morning it has completely soaked into my skin, and it is even less oily than if I don't put anything on my skin! I recently went away for two weeks, and didn't take my grapeseed oil because it's a bit messy and impractical when traveling - i regretted it SO much, my face broke out like crazy with cystic acne. Using it consistently, at least a couple times a week can really help to clear the skin and prevent breakouts. My skin is not completely clear of imperfections, but there is such a noticeable difference from what it was a couple months ago - I would really recommend giving this a go!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2011 7:00:00 PM More reviews by Thegoodbadugly

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Here's a fantastic, but not inexpensive option for USDA certified organic , cold-pressed unrefined grapeseed oil. The product is sold by Nature Certified and comes in a convenient, easy-to-use, 4 oz pump-dispenser package. It has a strong "wine" essence which quickly dissipates. I've been searching/researching over the last 3 years for skin care solutions and using mainly natural products to manage my changing skin - which is now affected by allergic/contact/atopic dermatitis- therefore my desire to find an oil that will improve my skin barrier (reduce the penetration of allergens) thru using oils that have a high linoleic content and antioxidants (polyphenols). I always ended up seeing MUA as one of the links during my research. I finally broke down and joined the best resource! And now, I have access to notepads. :-) When I first purchased it from Amazon it was sold for $9.99, but now it's up to $12.95 USD. The seller has been great in providing technical information to my questions such as about the cold-press technique - temperature maintained below 39 degree (Centigrade, I assume). But in my search for other brands of organic grapeseed oil this price is comparable or less expensive, especially since there's no S&H fee. I've had the opportunity to try a variety of oils on their own or in combinations - jojoba oil-wax, almond, sunflower, and coconut, etc. and also shea butter and receive recommendations from other MUAers. Additional features in comparison to NOW grapeseed oil, (yes, it's more expensive,) it absorbs fasts, has a thicker consistency (possibly more emollient), and leaves a smooth, almost satiny feel to my body skin. It didn't work out well for me as the sole oil for modified OCM with or without polysorbate 80 or as part of an aloe vera cleansing gel that I created for facial cleansing. ( I'm suprisingly having great results using Burt's Bee's Orange Essence Facial Cleanser, but that's stuff for another review.) I have now used this product for 1 month to moisturize my body skin after showering. I lightly towel dry, since I read that the proanthocyanidins in grapeseed oil will be inactivated when they come in contact with water, after showering and then I apply the product and also consume 1 teaspoon daily. This oil is edible. One bottle is lasting approximately 3 weeks.The end result is that my skin is soft (even da' feet), my peeling-prone shins are not peeling, and I only have to apply Burt's Bees Fragrance Free Body Lotion once per day if at all to "reactivate" it. The product is thoroughly labeled with directions, batch code, etc. The ingredients: Organic Grapeseed oil, Vitamin E (natural non-GMO). And for those concerned, it's packaged in BPA-free plastic that is recyclable. I do believe that the daily topical usage and oral consumption has helped to significantly reduce my allergic dermatitis flareups. Of course, I also have to try to reduce my exposure to my confirmed allergens, but some of them(pets) are permanent fixtures in my household. :-)

Update: December 2, 2012. Must let you know that since May I started combining this GSO with squalane from GOW ($29.80 USD/8 oz) and then finally discovered that the squalane alone was giving me the desired topical results and absorbed even faster. I still think this GSO is a great product, but squalane is an integral component of the epidermal skin barrier - makes sense. I wrote a review on it under unlisted brands.

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2011 11:37:00 PM More reviews by bella418

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

i will buy this stuff over and over!. i never ever thought that using this oil will solve my skin issues. NATURALLY i have very dry skin that has turned into a mess of oil and flakiness due to years of acne/oil combating products.. it has also become quite sensitive and the acne hasnt really got better over the years. on top of all that i have turned into a compulsive picker so my face is scarred all over with tiny marks. i have recently realized that i have to quit with oil controlling products because really my skin is not that. i definitely now know just how harmful it is to use the wrong products for a specific skin types such as mine. with that being said i had finally got the courage to use an OIL on my skin thanks to all the MUA reviews. i use the now brand of grapeseed oil. i use it to massage all over my skin at night to loosen my makeup (including the eye area) and after a minute or so add some water and gentle cleanser to get the oil/makeup off. this method seems to leave my skin clean and supple. i try to apply avocado oil on my damp skin but sometimes i skip that step and just add a drop of the grapeseed oil again. if i feel the need to exfoliate i also start off with just this product and then use a gentle scub and water, but i try not to exfoliate more than two times a week. ALSO, this is huge for me, somehow this new regiment has diminished my need to pick at my poor face. all of this has made my abused skin almost normal, something i never thought was possible for me. its not breaking out and is more even and moisturized. it does somewhat make me flaky (but definitely not more dry) and that would be because it is also an antiseptic. im assuming that is why my clogged pores have cleared for good. for those with super dry skin i would recommended an additional moisturizer. the only thing i wish is that i discovered this fabulous oil sooner. at least my skin is really healing now.. slowly but surely.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2011 4:56:00 PM More reviews by koukla8

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

First of all, I'd like to say that the reason I rated it 3 for price is because I bought organic cold pressed from Amazon, I read that it is more effective in helping to produce collagen. I bought this for my under eye area, and so far I have noticed subtle difference, but I have only been using it for over 2 weeks. I have never had issues with acne, but its normal for me to get a zit here or there or break out on my period. I have not had one zit since I have started using this, my skin has been completely clear. My skin also gets a little dry and flaky during the winter time, this is really moisturizing without being oily at all. You only need a couple drops for your face and it absorbs into your skin within minutes. I'm really happy I bought it.