April 16, 2014 | 1574 users online

Top/Base Coats - Essie - Matte About You

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2009 3:34:00 PM More reviews by sg

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I too love this stuff! I am having a blast trying it with all my polishes. I highly recommend using it over glittery polishes. It takes them down a notch and polishes i would never wear now look great. Gives them almost a velvet quality.
I just used it over my black polish by opi and it looks fantastic. It does not look like black sharpie like many mattes in black do. I had planned to do a textured nail by painting in some gloss lines but this looks so pretty i will try that next time.
This does not chip like regular matte polishes do, mine stayed good for about a week.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2009 9:34:00 PM More reviews by sephoraqueen

I love this stuff! It takes some of my favorite polishes and gives them a makeover. It dries amazingly fast, and gives a perfectly even matte finish. Unlike other mattes, this stays on the nail for days! Seriously worth the $10. This takes all of your polishes and transforms them! *Note: matte's will show every imperfection of the nail. So make sure that you to a double coat of base-coat.
For fun, I've compiled a (short) list of some polish shades that make a GREAT matte:

Zoya's Zara
China Glaze's Watermelon Rind
OPI's Happy Anniversary!
OPI's It Color (a yellow matte! fun!!)
China Glaze's Ruby Pumps
CND's Rejoice (#397)
OPI's OPI Ink
Revlon's Steel-Her Heart (#907)

Oh! And I haven't tried this yet, but I bet that the China Glaze's Kromes would be great too.

These are [some of] my favorites. Hope it helps! Have fun!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2009 6:14:00 PM More reviews by channingto

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

I LOVE this top coat! Definitely makes nail polish colors matte, and yes you do have to wait for your first coat to dry but you usually do even when applying a regular top coat... so I don't see how anyone can complain about that. This dries SO fast, you can see it become matte before your eyes in literally 10-20 seconds. Love it!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2009 4:49:00 AM More reviews by Snow_Angel350

I have a love/hate with this topcoat. Before i got Matte About You i bought 2 Matte OPI shades, i loved how they looked, but they completely chipped off by the next day. I finally bought the top coat and at first i loved it, it dried instanstly and made my nails totally matte! my one and only con i have with this is that by the next day the matte was slowly wearing off to a dull shine, i had to reapply the top coat by the second day. By the third day it was practically shiny on me. However it didn't chip. I want to love this and wear it but that's a big con for me, it's fun for maybe the day or if your going out. I'll give it a few more tries though.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2009 10:01:00 PM More reviews by colleen_co

I picked this up at Ulta for 20% off $9.99. Considering you can use this matte top coat on ANY polish and it makes it matte - it is a bargain price compared to buying all my fave polishes in their "matte" version. It works wonderfully and dries almost instantly. The color is exactly the same but just NO shine whatsoever. It isn't dry and flaky to the touch either. It's nice and smooth. Well worth the money IMO if you are wanting to try the matte trend this season.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2009 12:02:00 AM More reviews by silenceincolour

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been dying to try the matte trend, but I'm on a budget, and buying a bunch of matte colors was just not an option for me. I heard about MAY and decided to give it a try. Well, I love it. I don't know how long it lasts because I haven't left it on for long, but from what I can see, it's great.
It dries extremely quickly and you can literally watch as your color mattes. It does change the color tone a bit, but I think any matte will be flat, so if you don't like the look, you most likely just don't like the matte trend.
That being said, it's worth to try MAY on different polishes, as they all look completely different.
I think it's gorgeous, and because I have so little money, it was a good way for me to transform any color of the polishes I already have to mattes.
I would definitely buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2009 11:50:00 AM More reviews by firework_girl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've bought some matte polishes & been highly unimpressed with how quickly they chip. Also, I found some of them to look too flat, there didn't appear to be any dimension at all.
Enter Matte About You. The first bonus is not having to spend a fortune on buying all your favourite shades again in the matte finish. This one little bottle transforms your whole nail polish wardrobe.
It is matte, but not flat, lifeless matte. Rather, it looks elegant, like frosted glass. Different polish finishes will respond differently. Shimmery polishes look so beautiful with a quick coat of MAY on top. One of my favourite combinations so far has been two coats of OPI's I'm Not Really A Waitress with a thin coat of Zoya's Delilah (or China Glaze Ruby Pumps) on top, then add a coat of MAY.It's transformed into a beautiful, matte red & you can still see the flecks of glitter.
Fantastic stuff.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/1/2009 1:55:00 AM More reviews by tokiboom

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been meaning to try the matte nails but didn't want to buy an entire bottle of the matte stuff. When I went to Han's, the lady recommended this to me. I think this polish does an amazing job of matte-ifying the nail polish. I tried it over my OPI Green grape color and it looks amazing!!! However, I have to agree that although the top coat did dry pretty quickly, the polish underneath took an extra long time to dry. I ended up with several dents on my nails. I'll just have to be extra careful when using it next time. I can't wait to see what it looks like over the rest of my nail polishes!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/28/2009 8:21:00 AM More reviews by Robv

I love this! I just bought it and it looks fab over Essie's Wicked - really capturing the trend of the season. I've also tried it over Revlon's Steel-her Heart -- very cool. I love how fast it dries too. I don't seem to have the same problem that the previous reviewer has with denting - I painted my nails at night let it dry for a few minutes and then went to bed with no troubles. There also hasn't been any chipping. It is more likely to wear down around the edges than to chip. Overall a great product!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/23/2009 9:20:00 PM More reviews by nnylanna

I love, love, love matte nail polish so I bought this topcoat right away. I've been trying to use this topcoat, but I always end up taking it off right after I've applied it. The topcoat dries super fast, but the nail polish is dentable for hours, even when I use drying drops. My manicure gets ruined because I don't have time to wait around for hours for my nails to dry. I'll stick to matte nail polishes without this topcoat.