Essie Matte About You

4.4

Ehtyl Acetate, Butyl Acetate, Nitrocellulose, Trimethyl Pentanyl Dissobutyrate, Silica, Adipic Acid/neopnetyl Glycol/trimllitic Anhydride Copolymer, Isopropyl Alcohol, Stearalkonum Hectorite, Citric Acid.

on 2/15/2010 9:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

So far out of all the matte top coats I've researched, this is the one with the most positive reviews. And it's also a pretty good price. Although I didn't use a base coat, it did make them matte and it dried pretty quickly. It's beginning to get satiny though after a few hours. This is an addition but really just put another coat over it.

I did learn over time though that when using this, wait for your polish (if it is MAC polish or Urban Outfitters polish or just extra thick) to dry more or it the color will leak on the Matte About You's brush. Also, beware of frequent chipping.

on 1/12/2010 9:50:00 PM

Hands down the BEST matter top coat there is around.

I think everyone should own this, just because it's so versatile.
I purchased this after working on a shoot with Miley Cyrus, whose manicurist insisted that matte polishes would be the new IT sensation (this was about a year ago). When I heard Essie made a matte top coat, I picked one up from ULTA... and boy was it worth the $8.

Truth: This matte coat looks great on darker nail polishes. I tried them on top of baby pinks and instead of looking chic, it looked dead. Great for maroons, greys, dark blues/greens -it does darken the shade by about two shades... so if your polish is already super dark, it will turn it black.

The matte polish lasts for about 4 days, then I noticed my nails were once again glossy. But whatever, just reapply with another coat.

Awesome, well worth your money.

Love it!

I really wanted to test out the matte look for my nails, but the colours I had looked at (at Sephora, OPI brand for Sephora) were limited and I wasn't totally sold.

Then I saw Essie's Matte About You.
Brilliant!
I love that it is a clear top-coat that makes ANY polish appear matte. You can experiment with all your colours to see what looks you like best.
So far, I love it over my China Glaze - Recycle. It makes it look like grey velvet. It also looks great over my OPI polishes that have glitter in them. A really stunning, different look!

A total bang for your buck. You can use it with any and all nailpolishes you already have. One coat is all you need.

The bottle is small, cute, seals well and the brush fans out - so you only need one swipe on nails, 2 on thumb.
It also dries very quickly, which is a bonus.

Love it.

on 12/11/2009 10:27:00 AM

I am in love with this product! <3

It's so fun to watch it change any finish into a smooth matte, and it dries very quickly. Just don't forget to coat your whole nail evenly, or else you'll get streaks of unaltered polish.

What I like to do is apply it over my whole nail and then paint the tips with something very shiny/sparkly.

I''m glad I tried it and I'd definitely repurchase it.

on 12/6/2009 5:25:00 PM

I was flipping through the ulta Christmas catalogue and saw that with two Essie polishes I could get matte about you for free.. I also had a $5 off coupon so I figured $11 for three Essie polishes was a pretty awesome deal and let me just say if I had known how AWESOME this product was I would have paid full price anyway... It gives your nail polish I nice matte finish that doesn't chip and looks AMAZING... If you re into matte polishes like me, this is a MUST-HAVE. Love it!!!!!

on 12/3/2009 1:46:00 PM

Love this stuff. It's great with pale sheers. Elegant.

on 11/28/2009 3:34:00 PM

I too love this stuff! I am having a blast trying it with all my polishes. I highly recommend using it over glittery polishes. It takes them down a notch and polishes i would never wear now look great. Gives them almost a velvet quality.
I just used it over my black polish by opi and it looks fantastic. It does not look like black sharpie like many mattes in black do. I had planned to do a textured nail by painting in some gloss lines but this looks so pretty i will try that next time.
This does not chip like regular matte polishes do, mine stayed good for about a week.

on 11/23/2009 9:34:00 PM

I love this stuff! It takes some of my favorite polishes and gives them a makeover. It dries amazingly fast, and gives a perfectly even matte finish. Unlike other mattes, this stays on the nail for days! Seriously worth the $10. This takes all of your polishes and transforms them! *Note: matte's will show every imperfection of the nail. So make sure that you to a double coat of base-coat.
For fun, I've compiled a (short) list of some polish shades that make a GREAT matte:

Zoya's Zara
China Glaze's Watermelon Rind
OPI's Happy Anniversary!
OPI's It Color (a yellow matte! fun!!)
China Glaze's Ruby Pumps
CND's Rejoice (#397)
OPI's OPI Ink
Revlon's Steel-Her Heart (#907)

Oh! And I haven't tried this yet, but I bet that the China Glaze's Kromes would be great too.

These are [some of] my favorites. Hope it helps! Have fun!

on 11/21/2009 6:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

I LOVE this top coat! Definitely makes nail polish colors matte, and yes you do have to wait for your first coat to dry but you usually do even when applying a regular top coat... so I don't see how anyone can complain about that. This dries SO fast, you can see it become matte before your eyes in literally 10-20 seconds. Love it!

on 11/12/2009 4:49:00 AM

I have a love/hate with this topcoat. Before i got Matte About You i bought 2 Matte OPI shades, i loved how they looked, but they completely chipped off by the next day. I finally bought the top coat and at first i loved it, it dried instanstly and made my nails totally matte! my one and only con i have with this is that by the next day the matte was slowly wearing off to a dull shine, i had to reapply the top coat by the second day. By the third day it was practically shiny on me. However it didn't chip. I want to love this and wear it but that's a big con for me, it's fun for maybe the day or if your going out. I'll give it a few more tries though.

Top Rated Essie Products