NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

3.7

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethylhexanoin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Bis-butyldimethicone Polyglyceryl-3, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Glutamate, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, 1-Methyl-Hydantoin-2-imide, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polysilicone-2, Serralysin, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Glucosyl Hesperidin, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Tocopherol, [may contain: titanium dioxide, iron oxides, iron oxides]

This was one of my first higher end foundations that I ended up purchasing after hearing all of the hype. I normally don't wear a lot of face makeup since I prefer to let my skin breathe instead of covering it in a lot of foundation on a daily basis.
This is the perfect foundation for my normal-combination skin. I am an NC25 in MAC most of the year and I wear the shade Light 5 - Fiji. In the summer I get up to NC30 and I can still wear this shade, however I do have to use a bit of bronzer in order to make this match to the rest of my body.
This gives medium coverage and has a natural finish which needs to be set with powder if you want this to last all day (or night) without getting shiny. I love this for when I'm going out since it has no flashback due to the lack of SPF.
If you've been thinking about getting this foundation I would highly recommend it!

on 11/12/2014 3:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

I have mixed feelings about this foundation. While it is HE, it is packaged poorly. I have not tried drugstore foundations to compare but I may give it try as I have yet to find a holy grail HE foundation.

I think the results of your foundation highly depends on how you prep your skin and how much you use (application). I have included a long winded recipe on my "MAGIC FACIAL GLOW CREAM" my own creation dupe of the Famous MUA Charlotte Tilbury cream that is outrageously priced but makes cheap foundation look great.

First, I do not wear foundation daily. I have dry skin that I keep hydrated with my magic GOOP, and often will wear this only on my skin, with a bit of concealer.

When I am going out, night typically, I wear foundation all over my face blending to ears down neck

Now for right now - the PROS for the NARS Sheer Glow outweigh the cons; it is not holy grail so I continue to sample others

I also created my own MAGIC GLOW CREAM (dupe of famous MUA Charlotte Tilbury) to use under this foundation. Without the MAGIC GLOW CREAM it looks dull ....

PROS:
Mount Blanc is a perfect match for my skin tone - a HUGE bonus
NARS Vanilla Concealer are spot on and it stays true to color - a HUGE bonus
Requires no setting powder (I have dry skin and do not want powder)
Dried to a satin Matt finish (no glow without the Magic Cream though)
Spreads lovely with fingers warmed up no brush required (too rough on skin)
Liquid is thin; I like a very thin foundation (NOT SHEER)
Medium coverage; can be built up in problem areas
Doesn't seem to transfer but I do not wear it all the time so don't know longevity
Glides on skin
Looks gorgeous if I use my own GOOP skin prep
DOES NOT DRY OUT MY SKIN if I prep my skin (see below)

CONS
Requires my own GOOP skin prep as do all foundations
Packaging is horrid
Heavy glass bottles looks messy and is heavy
Can't travel with this heavy glass jar
Glass reminds me of drugstore Cover Girl glass container foundations
No pump? They should package like the other HE foundations
Takes longer time to prep my skin for this foundation to prep my skin (READ BELOW)
Using this takes more time than a light BB cream or MAC Face & Body

TO PREP MY SKIN:
I make sure my skin is exfoliated (baking soda if needed - gentle)
I often lightly exfoliate at night - LIGHTLY with baking soda nothing rough

MY MAGIC GLOW (Charlote Tilbury DUPE)
I make my own Magic Face Glow (GOOP) like MUA Charlotte Tilbury
My own Magic Facial Glow (GOOP) MIX recipe is shown below
This is the key to your make up foundation looking good I am sure
I slap it on and let it soak, up to 10 minutes

GOOP MIX Recipe

FOR DRY OR AGING SKIN -
Carrier cream (Cere Ve, Burts Bees, whatever you like will work)
Oils add Aloe Vera Pure, Rose Hip Argan, Jojob
Hyaluronic Acid key to locking moisture to your skin - MUST HAVE
Becca Skin Perfecting Illuminator or other luminizer

FOR OILY SKIN THAT BREAKS OUT (Acne)
Oil Free Carrier Cream
Aloe Vera Pure (this can be used right on your skin to control outbreaks)
Jojoba Oil (this controls sebum and can be used right on your skin to control oil)
Hyaluronic Acid to lock in moisture - if you have oily skin or acne you still needs moisture
Becca Skin Perfecting Illuminator or other luminizer

I take a glop of my cream mixed with oils
I add in a half pump of Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Opal as I am fair

- Warmer skin may like the gold
- Sallow skin may like the Rose gold
- Dark skin may like the Bonze Color

WHAT INGREDIENTS AND WHERE TO BUY FOR YOUR OWN GOOP:

FACIAL OILS - all oils need to be fresh, good for 6 mo* then I use as a body oil

I buy from reputable retailers of specialty oil on EBAY or ETSY - not in stores as you want FRESH product that has not been so refined and filled with fragrance

*Aloe Vera may last much longer
*Jojoba oil has no expiration date

I buy my face oil from reputable shop on Etsy (sometimes EBAY)

Face Oil must be fresh; good for 6 mo then use remaining oil for body

THE KEY PRODUCT
Hyaluronic Acid

I buy one 32 oz every year from

I also use this right on my face and body after washing while skin is damp, and always mix with body cream

This ingredient is found in HE beauty moisturizing creams - and you can make your own and save a ton of money

on 11/10/2014 5:50:00 PM

Hair: Other, Kinky, Medium

This foundation is extremely confusing. My friend who has normal to dry skin recommended this to me, even though I have combination to oily skin. When I first applied this I loved it. More than any foundation I have ever used. More than makeup forever, Laura mercier, urban decay. It made my skin completely flawless. But through out the day...Around my nose and between my eyebrows I literally saw the foundation sliding off. It looked like I had orange liquid on my face. I thought if I just really set it with a powder it should be okay, and that somewhat helps( I use the makeup forever setting powder). I also figured this is probably a lot better for people with dry skin. But I notice that when I have dry flakey spots, usually on the top of my nose or just where I had a previous pimple, it cakes around it. So just remember to exfoliate or moisturize well. The reason I give this a 3 is because it really is the best foundation I have found so far, but I am still on the hunt. Just know that you MUST set this foundation in your oily spots and you must really moisturize your dry spots if you want the full benefit of this foundation.

on 11/10/2014 1:24:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

love love love this foundation
honestly the best foundation i've ever purchased, i have dry to combination skin and sometimes get breakouts, but with this, it keeps me moisturised and doesn't break me out! it's a godsend!
i've seen people comment on it's "runny" consistency but honestly i do not find that to be the case - coming out of the bottle it's quick thick, not in a bad way though. one complaint is that of the bottle itself; it's kinda ridiculous to have to buy an accompanying pump (which i always prefer to use as it's more hygienic and easier to moniter). however i did recently purchase the pump for $4 at my local mecca cosmetica so i'm content.
it is a bit pricey (i paid about $68 here in australia - daylight robbery but that's what happens when you live on the other side of the world) but in my opinion, it's completely worth it. i dont think i'll ever buy another foundation again
i would urge everyone to at least test this out, it gives the most natural coverage but still does a good job of hiding my dark spots etc. all in all my HG foundation

on 11/8/2014 12:29:00 AM

Neither sheer nor glowy...but here are my two cents:

Consistency: quite thin and runny, which makes it blend out super easily/quickly

Coverage: medium, definitely covers up my hyperpigmentation, although I think it looks best sheered out with concealer on the problem spots. I use a stippling brush to get lighter coverage. I find that it can definitely look a bit cakey once you've build it up to medium to full.

Finish: not dewy or matte, beautiful natural finish, looks like just natural skin, it has not settled into pores or lines on me with or without a primer. However, it does cling to dry patches so make sure you exfoliate/moisturize ahead of time. I personally don't have oily skin, but it's likely not matte enough if you are oily.

Lasting power: it looks fine at the end of the day, but definitely not something you can put on in the morning and then party all night in. On my skin (normal to dry), I find that powdering makes no difference. I haven't had any issues with it oxidizing.

Color selection: quite good, 17 colors ranging from very fair to quite dark in a variety of undertones, I'm NC 20-25 and Ceylan is perfect for me in the winter, and works fine if I use a darker powder in the summer

Packaging: people gripe about the lack of pump, but it honestly doesn't bother me so much. I just pour slowly onto the back of my hand. I think the square glass bottle with the black top in the classic Nars rubbery black is quite chic. If you really want a pump, Nars does sell them for I think $6.

Price: $45, steep but not crazy. I find that I end up using less of this for the same coverage as my other loved foundations (Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua, YSL Teint Touch Eclat) so the bottle lasts longer.

Bottom line: gorgeous foundation for natural looking skin for those with normal skin without any major issues (which thankfully is me most of the time). I can't see this working on oily or dry skins or for those we need good coverage.

on 11/5/2014 4:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Great luminous, natural finish, medium coverage foundation! Possibly, fingers crossed, my Hg foundation......after 4 years of active searching after crossing the 40 age barrier and needing a foundation to love and work with (not against) my sun spots, light melasma, fine lines around the eyes and forehead and increasingly dull and lustre-less skin tone.

In my experience many foundations add years to already post-40 aging challenges by settling in lines, slipping in forehead lines, providing mask-like coverage (claiming to be medium coverage) and oxidizing after an hour (and I have normal skin).

NARS Sheer Glow does the opposite (for me anyway). It actually enhances my post 40 au naturelle aging face whilst minimising my skin issues (melasma, dull skin tone) and giving me a natural glow which is not shiny or artificial-looking. Best of all it does not slip, settle in or cake in lines around the eyes or forehead. Dare I say I think it actually minimises the appearance of fine lines (compared to other foundations I tried).

The only negative....and it is minor and I can live with it...is that the bottle does not come with a pump (must be purchased separately for $4 Aus at Mecca cosmetics).

In a nutshell, this is the best foundation I have used (for a week now). I use the colour Sante Fe which is a perfect match for my NC 20 (Estee Lauder dw light intensity 2) skin. The colour stays true all day even though I wear it over moisturiser and sun screen. I do set it with a light dusting of my estee lauder translucent powder. No slippage in lines. I do use a mac prolongwear concealer under the eyes or on any spots. On my melasma areas I do add a 2nd layer of foundation and miraculously it does not look cakey at all.

I have had compliments daily from my hubbie and teenage daughter and they are my strongest critics when it comes to foundation.
Would I buy this again? Yes Yes Yes!

on 11/5/2014 1:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I have bought this foundation twice now, I love the finish and colour of this foundation im shade Mont Blanc (light 2). The finish is semi matte my favourite finish of foundations as I love a healthy glow and is a medium buildable coverage. I have oily and spot pone skin with some acne scaring and this foundation makes me look flawless and is just like skin. I love applying it with the real techniques beauty sponge (wet) which I feel I get the best results with. The only thing is that after only 4/5 hours after wearing it I start to get oily but thats my own problem not the foundations. I just simply blot and powder and im fine again. This is another foundation that I always get compliments with when I wear it. Overall this will always be a staple in my makeup drawer.

on 10/28/2014 5:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I was so skeptical buying this foundation as I have oily combo skin. I am a mac studio fix nc40 in the summer and nw30 in the winter and used mac for yrs and even when i try ither foundations studio fix is my go to. The name sheer glow made me think it was going to highlight the oiliness in my skin...Low and behold it didn't, I would deffo buy this again and again. I use the rimmel stay matte primer but honestly even when I forget my primer this foundation makes my skin look amazing. Gr8 coverage and lasts but the glow makes me look radiant I love it!!!!
My colour is Barcelona and matches perfectly. I never thought I would like a foundation more than studio fix..I would call it a tie. Bottle is annoying as a lot can pour out but a little goes a long way. Enjoy 😊😊😊

on 10/28/2014 2:19:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Decided to try a sample of this from Sephora after hearing all the hype about it. Glad I just got a sample.
The colour match was great and it went on easily, however, only a few hours after wearing this it oxidized and looked awful up close.

I didn't apply a primer, so maybe that's why.

I didn't find that it gave a "glow" either.

For as expensive as this foundation is, you'd think that NARS could create a better packaging for it...
I'll be sticking with my MUF HD foundation and my trusty L'Oreal Truematch.

on 10/19/2014 3:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Sadly, this broke me out like no other. I do have sensitive skin but my friend was wearing this and it looked beautiful on her! I noticed across the room how glowy it looked on her! She said it was Nars sheer glow so I had to try it. I took samples home and bought it the next day because I loved how easy and soft it was to apply! And the colour match was almost perfect!

A week has gone by after wearing it and I am so embarrassed about my face. I have pimples and acne EVERYWHERE. I even got a whitehead on my LIPLINE. My cheeks are horrible with acne spots and they hurt!

So sad. I love NARS. Guess I'll stick to their lippies and blushes.

Video Reviews & Tutorials