Burt's Bees Natural Acne Solutions - Purifying Gel Cleanser

3.6

Not tested on animals
Burt's Bees is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Active Ingredients: Salicylic Acid (1.0%)(Acne Treatment) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Decyl Glucoside, Lauryl Glucoside, Sucrose Laurate, Salix Nigra Bark Extract (Willow), Coco Betaine, Betaine, Beta Vulgaris Root Extract (Beet), Oenothera Biennis Leaf Extract (Evening Primrose), Sodium Cocoyl Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Honey, Glycerin, Glyceryl Oleate, Coco Glucoside, Fragrance, Glucose, Alcohol Denat., Glucose Oxidase, Lactoperoxidase, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol

on 3/27/2010 2:01:00 PM

The gel cleanser is not really a gel. It is more watery and liquidy than gel-y. The scent is very citrusy. After using it, I like that it makes my face squeaky clean. The price is a little much since it was around $9.00 for the bottle whereas you could purchase other cleansers for half the price. I like that Burt's Bees uses organic ingredients and that is probably why the price is so much more. Overall, a good product. I did a product review video on my youtube channel if you'd like to check it out.

Link to my video:

on 3/23/2010 1:22:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have been using this product for months and have grown to really love it. FYI, I also have a Clarisonic and use it with that. I use this twice a day with the Clarisonic and it really helps the clarity (read: much fewer breakouts) of my skin without drying it out or leaving any residue. I notice, too, a difference with this (as opposed to using any other facewash with the Clarisonic). I'm lazy when it comes to removing eye makeup and just take some of the lather from my face soap and rub it over my eyes and eyelashes and rinse it off. This takes off the eye makeup (granted, I don't usually wear waterproof anything) very well and I haven't had problems with irritation, although I am very careful. Highly recommended. It is my HG face wash.

on 3/10/2010 11:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I used this product for over two months. Didn't really do anything for my skin. I liked that it didnt dry my skin and it felt soft after using it but that is it. Did not repurchase.

on 2/22/2010 9:16:00 PM

This is ok. It did help my acne, but it didn't clear it up completely. You don't get much for the price, but a little goes a long way. I would recommend buying the moisturizer along with this, because it can be drying.

on 2/22/2010 11:20:00 AM

I love this cleanser, thank heavens for MUA reviews pointing me to it.
I have had years of clogged pores on my cheeks and forehead; I tried BP cream, AHA lotions, even rough alcohol toners, and nothing would take care of my rough looking skin.
Well, this has completely changed my skin texture and complexion. It's gentle and does not have a strong scent and does not leave my skin feeling tight and dry.
It is a little bit watery but I'm not complaining with these results.
I think Salicylic acid has the best results for me. I have been using this for about 4 months and couldn't be happier. Will definitely buy this forever!

on 2/16/2010 5:14:00 PM

Well, I certainly didn't think I'd be writing a positive review about this product the first time I tried it. The smell is awful...just like pinesol *gag* sometimes I feel like I can taste it lol. Anyways, I really do like the results I've gotten from this cleanser. Every time I stop using it (I've tried a few times because of the smell) my blackheads come back, so it must be doing something positive! I work up a good foam by gently rubbing my face for a minute or so, then let it sit for an additional minute before washing it off. It works well with a microfiber cloth. It is very watery though, so be careful squeezing it out. It takes my makeup off well, but does leave me a bit dry. Considering I don't use a moisturizer on a daily basis (because every single one I've tried clogs my pores) the drying effect can be a bit harsh. I just use plain honey as a cleanser instead whenever I notice my face getting too dry. I just repurchased my second bottle...although I think in the long run I'm probably going to find something better. I'm on the hunt for a creamy cleanser with the same blackhead/clog fighting power...and also natural. Oh, speaking of natural--this product contains Phenoxyethanol which I usually try to avoid.

on 1/25/2010 8:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

If you have sensitive skin then this is the product for you. This has completely wiped out my acne and my skin looks perfect. I have never had horrible acne but when i tried out some new make-up (cargo) it caused to me to break out for about 2 months and this killed it. I love it and will not use anything else

on 1/17/2010 5:06:00 AM

UPDATE 2014: I've found that this cleanser is too gentle for me and not cleaning my make up as well as I'd like. I've switched to Purpose Gentle Cleanser and a good towel to scrub my face instead!

ORIGINAL REVIEW: I've been using this product since 3 months ago and I'm close to finishing the bottle, so I knew it was time for me to write a review! This was truly a nice surprise because it does clean my skin well while not stripping it dry. The latest trend for many "all-natural" brands is to use cleaning agents that are derived from glucose, and this is indeed one of them. I was initially concerned because of the pH balance, but I really haven't had any issues, probably because this is formulated with citric acid. This is also why this cleanser doesn't foam up as much as others because it lacks the popular cleaning ingredient sodium laureth (and sometimes lauryl) sulfate, which does foam up very well but can also be pretty drying to certain skin types. When I wear makeup, I do need to use some avocado oil to clean it off before using this, otherwise, there is still makeup left on my face. I've found that this is a great solution for my dehydrated, combination skin that needs deep cleansing but doesn't need to be stripped of moisture. After I use this, my skin doesn't feel tight and I don't need to rely on my toner as a second cleansing. As for acne fighting, I wouldn't rely on this product, just because the salicylic acid content seems a little low for an acne cleanser. Also, you are washing off the salicylic acid (along with the rest of the cleanser) not very long after you apply it, so it's probably best if you have issues with acne, to actually apply some kind of medication after cleansing/toning so that it has time to work on the skin. Otherwise, I think this cleanser is a nice surprise packaged in a cute little bottle. It does smell like artificial orange, but I actually kind of enjoy it. If you're interested in trying this, I believe that you can Google for $1 off coupons for products from Burt's Bees Acne Solutions line. I'll be using one to buy my next bottle of this great stuff!

on 1/2/2010 8:15:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

After reading all the great reviews here on MUA, I went out and bought this. Unfortunately, it did nothing for me. It may have decreased oil production somewhat (and I'm not positive it did even that), but it did absolutely nothing for my moderate acne. Will not repurchase.

on 12/16/2009 1:38:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have used this for one month, or a little more. I was suffering tiny little bumps from a reaction to a product, plus my usual hormonal acne. This helped clear up the little bumps to an extent, but didn't do much more than that, except dry out my skin, which is dry to begin with. I imagine this would be a great soap for someone with very oily skin, as it did decrease my oil production. The bottle didn't give me any trouble, and the formula is not too watery, as many have said, it's not really a gel, though. The smell is pleasent, and like that citrus furniture polish, so it's a clean smell, for sure. Overall I think this is a good product, just not for my dry, sensitive skin.