September 22, 2014 | 1558 users online

Mascara - L'Oreal - Waterproof Voluminous Carbon Black

rated 3 of 5 on 12/3/2011 10:14:00 PM More reviews by amynmatt97

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Waterproof? It's not even oxygen-proof. It gave me two black eyes within three hours of applying. The color was nice, and it made my lashes look fabulous while it lasted.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/27/2011 8:13:00 PM More reviews by ThatIsNOTHerShade

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I do not generally have a large problem w/ mascara smudging (combo-dry/use eye primer), but this mascara has been one of the WORST offenders in that arena for me.

I'm having bad flashback's of Prestige Lash Matrix...ugh.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/27/2011 2:17:00 PM More reviews by enydonus

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

It's just a good generic deep black mascara with a good brush. My lashes are long, defined, and fan out nicely with this and it holds true all day. Doesn't flake. Truly is waterproof. Easy to take off with jojoba oil or regular makeup remover.

The downside is that it always manages to transfer dark smudgy shadow on my browbone (verrry long lashes) no matter how little I wear. Not obvious, just annoying. I have to wear eyecream or my eyelids will flake so I suspect that it's just the mascara mixing with the oils from that over the course of the day. Going to try out other mascaras that don't lengthen as much.

To get a good clean, fool proof application I always recommend wiping off the excess onto a tissue as this is a very wet formula.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/21/2011 5:48:00 PM More reviews by MiaMore84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Pros:
- Awesome, super black color that pops - even for Asian lashes
- Volumizing
- OK at holding a curl...even better with my HG Shiseido mascara base
- Classic/chic packaging
- Affordable
- Lashes feel soft
- Buildable
- Great for layering with lengthening fiber mascaras
- Better than other mascaras that cost 2-3 times more
- Didn't really smudge on me (I don't have oily lids so that may vary for others)
- Good lengthening even though its specifically for volumizing
- Easy removal

Cons:
- Had minimal flaking but not enough for it to stop me from repurchasing
- Can be a little clumpy on the brush b/c of extra product that gets left on it but it's quickly fixed with a swipe on a napkin
- It's not SUPER waterproof but I never really had a problem with it b/c I don't have a problem w/humidity where I live
- Can do better in the curl department but I layer it w/my Shiseido base and a Japanese lengthening mascara (Japanese mascaras are the BEST at holding curls) so it's not a HUGE problem.

Overall, I'd recommend this mascara for sure! It's a mascara that I find myself reaching for on most days because you can achieve that dark, vavoom look with few swipes of the wand.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/2/2011 12:38:00 PM More reviews by Pandora28

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

That's the last time I purchase a waterproof mascara. This mascara sticks to your lashes even after using make-up removing cloths and cleanser. The long and frustrating wash irritated my eyes and I lost three lashes in the process. As far as the mascara itself is concerned, it flaked and made my lashes super dry. I found myself removing my contact lenses because of the flaking. It put me off from the Voluminous line for months, which is a shame because the original formula is fantastic.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2011 6:42:00 PM More reviews by prettyvalerina

I love this! Although I purchased this being optimistic but also hesitant at the same time...and only because of the low reviews I read on here. But I tried it and LOVE it! I love the very black color payoff, hence the name, carbon black. I also love that it doesn't leave any kindve flakiness or leave my lashes looking spidery. It lengthens and volumizes and gives great long wearing color. I also like that I dont have to scrub my eyes with my eye makeup remover to get this of at the end of the day.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/22/2011 11:42:00 PM More reviews by ariana76

i have to say, im quite shocked by the low rating! in all honesty, i love this mascara so much. i have naturally short and straight lashes and this mascara lengthens and curls them just like falsies. throw in an eyelash curler and it does wonders! to be honest, its not completely waterproof. i WILL get racoon eyes if i go swimming or something, but i kinda like that because i dont have to bust out my baby oil and scrub my eyes to get it off. in conclusion, love this mascara and will forever rephurchase!!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/22/2011 11:22:00 PM More reviews by MrsJustie

Ugh. This flakes so easy, give me raccon eyes, horrible. gets clumpy with just 2 coats. It is really dark black, the darkest I've ever used. Not worth dealing with this coming off my lashes though. I tried everything with this, even Shseidio's lash primer. This will not freakin' work for me. I'm throwing it out. :( Going back to CG Lash Blast for now.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2011 3:41:00 PM More reviews by hotAsFiya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love the original formula but like most people, it would travel and get right under my eyes giving me raccoon eyes. I figured since I love the original formula it'd be only natural that I'd love even more the waterproof formula. I was actually rather disappointed in it. It's soooo mediocre in terms of the way it applies and the "carbon black" effect it gives. It's just not there. This reminds me more of the original voluminous rather than the carbon black. It just adds a little length and volume but definitely not like the original carbon black formula.
Will not repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/7/2011 2:34:00 PM More reviews by fballcheerleader09

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is one of the best mascaras I've ever tried! It really does thicken and lengthen. My lashes are naturally straight, so I have a huge problem with mascaras weighing down my lashes and uncurling them, but not with this mascara! With this formula, it keeps the curl right where it was before applying, which is very hard for me to find. The pigmentation is great, there's no flaking, and the packaging is nice and sleek. Unlike the other reviews, I haven't had a problem with smudging throughout the day, but if you do not take the time to apply it, and you get smudges all over the place, they are very hard to remove. The only problem that I have with this mascara is that it's sooo hard to remove. I understand that it is waterproof, but every eye makeup remover I've tried hasn't been able to remove every last bit of it from my lashes, which I'm very disappointed about. Maybe next time I should try the original carbon black, but so far that's the only con I have about this mascara.