Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby SPF 60

3.3

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (4.9%), Zinc Oxide (4.7%) Inactive Ingredients: Alumina, Arachidyl Alcohol, Arachidyl Glucoside, Ascorbic Acid, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Beeswax, Behenyl Alcohol, Benzyl Alcohol, BHT, Bisobolol, Butylene Glycol, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Cetyl Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Dimethicone PEG 8 Laurate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Disodium EDTA, Ethylhexylglycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Isohexadecane, Methicone, Methylisothiazolinone, Pantothenic Acid, PEG 100 Stearate, PEG 8, Polyaminopropyl Biguanide, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Polysorbate 60, Potassium Sorbate, Retinyl Palmitate, Silica, Stearic Acid, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Tocopheryl Acetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Trisiloxane, Water, Xanthan Gum 5/21/09

on 4/11/2009 6:01:00 PM

I bought this because I heard it had less of a white cast than the sensitive skin version. Well, apparently that's not saying much at all. This goes on heavy and white and does fade down a bit- but it's still whiter than the shiseido spf 55 lotion and cream when that's first *applied*. Horrible, unwearable, unless maybe you wipe most of it off after applying like the review below does. In which case- why bother?

Will not repurchase.

on 4/4/2009 9:39:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I really like this stuff. I use this and the stick sunscreen on both my body and parts of my face (ie ears, neck, and sometimes eyelids/cheeks). I like cocktailing it with the UltraSheer SPF 85, because I use sunscreen as my moisturizer in the morning so when I need more moisture I can just mix this stuff in. I am a "daywalker" and burn like a crisp whenever I step outside, so this stuff works really well.
However, be careful if you have acne prone skin, the beeswax can clog my pores if I use too much.

This is my HG sunscreen from now on, I switched from Neutrogena Ultra Sheer. This one has it's plus and negatives, but the positives to me weighed out the negatives. I love how it does not clog my pores, cause pimples and does not irritate my skin at all. The Ultra Sheer one would kind of sting but this one does not at all.

The only thing that I could see as a negative that would bother people would be the sheer white film it leaves on your face. I'm a Classic Ivory color so the sheer film does not bother me. It actually covers up and little redness I have and helps cover up any pimples I may have. This sunscreen I have been using everyday (except for cloudy days, which is very few because I live in Florida) for the past four months.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

ugh. I thought I could pull this off because Im very very fair skinned. But I could not. too much white cast! I blended well, and put foundation over top. but I still looked like a geisha. it has a nice texture though. and I may save it for the summer for my arms & legs.

on 3/17/2009 3:04:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

As an african american woman who uses obagi and retin a products, I am always searching for a physical/chemical sunscreen that is right for me. This was not it, it left of course the expected white cast on my face--but I solved this by mixing with foundation. But the deal breaker was that it felt very heavy and oily on my skin, all day I could feel it on and I could not wait to get home and wash it off. If anyone has any recs mail me, I'm off to try Shiseido!

on 3/16/2009 6:19:00 PM

i found this to be a terrible product. it is thick, leaves white streaks and balls up. i am very fair and could still see the streaks. i would not give this product a recommendation and suggest that you save your money.

on 3/15/2009 1:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I'm about NC15/20 and while this does leave a slight white cast, it's not as bad as other untinted physical ss (i.e. Bioderma Mineral) and I find it to be quite wearable. I do love the texture and color of Elta Physical much better, but I wanted to try this because the spf was higher and also because it's readily available at the drugstore. Like others have stated, you have to make sure to blend it well because it will dry streaky otherwise. And unless you're oily, you definitely need to moisturize beforehand because this dries fairly matte (which I like). In comparison with Blue Lizard Baby, the Neutrogena is much less oily and less whitening.

I haven't had any problems with this! I started using it since I loved the previous Neutrogena sensitive skin sunblock but left off using it as I felt the SPF wasn't enough (back then it was 30). This was the same as the new sensitive skin formula but with oat extract, which is calming to sensitive skin. Helioplex kills my skin and eyes when I wear it, so I have to avoid it. I usually take my shower at night, moisturize my face, etc, and sleep. I don't usually wash my face when I wake up, but this sunscreen works fine with my routine (since it doesn't go on over super dry skin). I like it; I've been kind of erratic about sunscreen lately since I couldn't find one that didn't hurt and protected enough, but I will be more vigilant with this.

on 2/28/2009 1:50:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Throwing my hat into the ring here, and giving this a positive review, but with some caveats! I previously tried the Sensitive version, which is basically the same formulation minus the oat kernel additive. I did not give it a fair enough trial before deciding it was too whitening. So, I tried again. By moisturizing before applying (either with a moisturizing cleanser like Albolene or rich moisturizer like Weleda Almond) I have been able to minimize the white cast in so far as preventing it from settling onto dry patches and into pores. I mix it with dark tinted moisturizer (using the Dermalogica spf15 in dark) and that helps with the cast. With other physical screens, I had to abandon the effort because the white streaks and patches were too much to cover up, but for this product it's manageable and seems worth the bother. It has a soothing, smooth texture and is easly to apply and to remove (big plus, since I hate ss that are like glue and require cleansing oils). Yes, the Pure and Free can look atrocious if you haphazardly apply and don't blend. Then you might catch yourself in a mirror outside and realize you have white streaks or blotches-- not good. If you take the effort to work with this, it is an excellent all physical block. I do think that Neutrogena is using "sunspheres" a patented ingred. that boosts the spf, allowing them to use less of the actives. I still wish there were a decent ss that I could just slap on and go with, and look fine, without all this trouble. For now, I'm going to use this for a while. Update: 3/15/09-- Still like this, but it really can look very bad if you're not uber-diligent about moisturizing first, blending well, and mixing with bronzer or the like. Not good for mornings when you're in a rush! Update: 8/2/09- I gave up on trying to look presentable in this. It's just too chalky. I had to keep checking during the day to make sure no white streaks were showiing.

on 2/28/2009 2:14:00 AM

There are cosmetically elegant physical sunscreens out there that offer better UVA protection (Elta MD UV Physical SPF 41, Topix Glycolix Elite SPF 30), but many kudos go to Neutrogena for devising a way to enhance the protection afforded by a modest % of ZnO and TO2. I found this SS to be non-comedogenic, extremely gentle, and moderately moisturizing (without being greasy). It did ball up somewhat, and I found it very whitening, and so the search for the perfect physical SS continues. For those who are interested, the estimated PPD is 12.