July 23, 2014 | 1033 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2012 1:32:00 AM More reviews by Madinah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been going back to this product for years! IT ALWAYS WORKS! I pay 30$ per dermo visits and I get it free from my dermo. Right now I'm on the 0.025% because I built my immunity up to it and it has been working for a yr now before that i was using the 0.05% and loved it too.

When I run out of whatever % I was on I stay clear for about 6 months without it but I always go back :) But when i continuously kept using this product.......... it NEVER stops working too!

Ive never been so loyal to an acne product in my life <3

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2012 12:18:00 AM More reviews by amnahp12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

So I realize this is a premature review; I wanted to track progress! Won't say what's been said. I suffer from mild-moderate acne that had gotten increasingly, exponentially worse since it started two years ago. I'm finally at that point where I feel so terrible in my skin and have tried so many things (mostly natural and dietary remedies) to try and remedy this stupid hormonal mess up and nothing is working. I recently started using neostratas aha and for the first time within a few days it seemed to be making a dramatic difference in the clarity and smoothness of my skin. Then I finally received the tretinoin 0.025% I've been waiting for. based on all the reviews and feedback I started slow -pea sized amount, every other night, buffered, applied well after washing and waiting.

Week 1: mild breakouts. shucks, I had been hoping to not have a breakout period by taking precautions, alternating nightly with aha; but the increased breakouts could also be linked to bad diet and dehydration (I moved and still haven't quite settled) or any number of factors. no irritation, burning or excessive peeling; I did notice dryness on one side of my chin when I neglected to put on lotion (otherwise I haven't noticed since I always keep my skin well hydrated). No stinging on application; almost seems to not be doing anything but I'm keeping it up and hoping for the best! Also no sun sensitivity yet. Considering moving into nightly or two nights on one night off, but I don't want to rush and screw up my skin.

Week 2: Started flaking after writing the first update, but in just a few days, the only minor flaking is on my nose. I have a dry skin type so my face feels pretty much like it regularly does when I let it dry without a moisturizer. I had an increase in gross whiteheads 2-3 days ago, but today they are mostly gone [granted, I've been bad and have been extracting them when too close anyway] and my skin is surprisingly smooth. I still have some big under-the-skin rounded pimples, and there is still a bit of roughness/raised skin from old pimples, but overall it feels better than it had been several weeks ago. Hyperpigmentation worse than ever, of course, since EVERY little blemish leaves a big mark. I think it's my imagination that my blackheads have faded ever so slightly.
Week 3: skin improving daily, which is a big surprise to me. It's almost completely smooth, with only a few itty bitty places with raised skin and healing blemishes - nothing active, hyperpigmentation less dramatic (need much less concealer, job done well enough with just foundation) and ironically enough face is oilier (ie feels fully moisturized in the morning) when I don't buffer with moisturizer first. Very strange not waking up dry! Not sure if this is completely attributable to the tretinoin or zinc I started taking simultaneously (although I hadn't expected any good to come of it) or a combination or even the weather turning cooler. Face is still not dry/thin/irritated/photosensitive. Absolutely no change to a patch of clogged pores that appeared almost overnight and slowly work themselves one by one into volcanic pimples.

Dec 3, 2012: hello hello, a sudden and suspicious lack of any blemishes! I've still had a few lingering ones at all times - particularly the last few weeks of travelling - but this week, nothing more than fading scars. It'll come back for sure, but I'm still crossing fingers hoping for the best. Flaking and dryness nonexistent. As for routine, I apply most (not all) nights after dream cream with no buffer time (I come home late and leave early) which doesn't seem to have a negative impact.

April 7, 2013: Few breakouts here and there, every 'month' ahem ahem. Nothing monstrous, on the whole my skin is so much nicer than it had become, and scars are fading! Always a disappointment when my face decides to go on a breakout spree though, as the retin-a doesn't do a whole lot to heal much faster. Moved up to the 0.05, which immediately caused dryness and flaking after 2-3 nightly applications, so scaled it all the way back. Other than that my skin had completely acclimated to the 0.025 long ago, but was sensitive to the wind/cold.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2012 1:29:00 PM More reviews by glamourjenny

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this product! I've suffered bad acne since I was 11... Yes, 11 years old! Retin A is derived from Vitamin A. It is a chemical exfoliant. Glycolic acid and salicylic acid are examples of chemical exfoliants. Physical exfoliants are scrubs.

Now that I'm 23, my face has cleared with some occasional breakouts but my skin is dull and my pores are super enlarged. During exam wk (college) and my menstrual cycle, my acne will flare up around my nose, chin, or jaw line. After reading this very same product review on makeupalley, I spoke to my doc about it and received 3 refills worth of the 0.05% for $5. The first 3 months that I started using this, I somewhat half ass-ed my applications. I started using this in June. I used it every 3rd night, then skip a whole wk, then use it every other night for a wk, then I'd forget to put it on for another wk or 2. I didn't really want to use too much of the product because I live in California, and during the summer time, our temperature goes up to the 110 degree range and I didn’t want to risk getting a chemical burn because I get sunburned easily.

During those 3 months, I noticed that my skin looked dehydrated, even duller, and the dry skin look did not help the wrinkles under my eyes. Only once out of those 3 months did I notice that my skin was flakey. But it was just slightly flakey... nothing dramatic or gross. Now, in my 4th month, I finally started using it every night and the tube is half way done. Even though it's still in the 100 degrees at where I live, I decided to use my winter moisturizer.

Now my skin looks plump and amazing! I used it under my eyes and my lines have dramatically become less noticeable. Even my crow's foot on my left eye, due to driving, has been less noticeable. The size of my pores has decreased. I wondered why my skin is so tolerant to the product; I was expecting the worse side effects: peeling, purging, etc. However, I didn’t suffer any of those things, probably because I used to use glycolic acid, so my skin is probably used to chemical exfoliants.

I started using this cream on my chest and back a few days ago. (Yes, I break out horribly on my back and chest!) Now, I noticed that my chest and back are a lot smoother. FYI, my skincare routine is consists of nighttime: Cerave foam cleanser, Retin A, and crème de La Mer. Morning: Cerave foam cleanser, Clinique moisturizing gel, Shiseido sunscreen SPF 50. I noticed that Retin A has helped my skin so much that I cut down the amount of products that I used to buy. That definitely saved me a lot of money.

Be careful not to use other chemical exfoliants when you’re using Retin A.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/27/2012 3:28:00 PM More reviews by ukpolly

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Hi
My son was prescribed this for his bouts of acne...It dosnt work...
Acne is caused by bacteria in the body floating round the blood stream
He was then prescribed a mild antIbiotic called euthremycin, just one a day for a month.
IT WORKED. ZITS GONE.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/21/2012 12:30:00 AM More reviews by summersnows

This was recommended by my dermatologist when I asked her to perform a laser resurfacing treatment to erase the pitted scars, she gave this to me to control my acne first. My acne is pretty much controlled with a few small occasional zits, but I have seriously clogged pores, especially around my t-zone. I started with the 0.025% first, i use it every night, it was magic! It peeled and I got clearer skin, however to get to that stage I had to go through the painful transition phase where breakouts gets more serious, luckily for me, there aren't any cystic pimples. But when I upgraded to the 0.05%one, which I use it every other night, my skin started to get oily and it doesn't seem to be peeling anymore.. I think my skin got resistant to it.and it does not work anymore though it didn't give me any adverse effects, it stopped giving me positive results. And my blackheads were never gone. It just sat there in my drawer. I'm not very fair, and I only apply sunscreen when I have PE lessons in school.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/19/2012 9:21:00 PM More reviews by deedrajean

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

i got Retin-A proscribed by my dermatologist for my ance. for reference i have very oily, sensitive very very acne prone skin. all this did for me was break me out way worst then what i started with, dried my skin so out that i peeled everyday all day and when i would smile my face out crack. and turned my face bright red. that was just my experience. i've heard this works wonders on some people. but me it did the total opposite, so disappointed.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2012 11:03:00 AM More reviews by chafi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've used this on an off since 2004. I use the 0,5 strength every night and I haven't had problems with skin irritation or flakes. I use this all over my face, even in my under eye area. I clean my face and remove my make up with EVOO, and remove most of that with LRP micellar water for oily sensitive skin. In the morning I use a 10% glicolic acid gel and eucerin dermo purifier moisturiser SPF 30. This regime has absolutely transform my skin. I have no blackheads, spots, sun spots or wrinckles.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/28/2012 3:35:00 AM More reviews by shellbeach

I used this product a few years ago and I'm writing this review because out of all of the products I've used to treat my acne, this was probably the worst one.

I followed the directions to the letter. I used this at night after gently cleansing and patting my skin dry. In the morning, I would carefully wash and apply sunscreen and oil-free moisturizer. I stayed away from direct sunlight. After about three days of this, I noticed that parts of my skin were starting to flake off. I was fine with that. I thought that meant it was working. The pharmacist had told me that it would take up to 6 weeks to see results and that my skin would look pretty bad at first. After maybe a week, I had acne in new places. My T-zone was always really terrible, but my cheeks had pimples only occasionally. Then huge zits started to appear there and I got a little concerned. I still stuck with the treatment though, because I thought my skin was just "purging" and getting used to the product. For the entire 6 weeks, I was embarrassed of how I looked because my skin was literally peeling off. It looked like I had some sort of skin disease or a really bad sunburn. Finally, after 6 weeks, I realized that my skin was wildly inflamed and it was just getting worse, not even slightly better. So that's when I finally gave up on it. It was really disappointing.

It has probably been four years or more and my cheeks are still scarred from where those giant pimples were. I really regret using this stuff. It might work for other users, but for me it was a nightmare. If you do end up using this product, I would stay away from any areas on your face that are relatively blemish-free.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/24/2012 12:35:00 PM More reviews by Pey8188

I have to say that the past five months I have told myself I would never let the word Retin-A come out of my mouth but I feel that others should really listen to this. Many people I have tried to tell scoff at me but here is the absolute truth.

I first used Tretinoin gel, then Retin A Micro. One morning I noticed that I had extreme enlarged pores around my face. In tears, I went to my dermatologist who told me it was probably horomones and prescribed me Retin-A micro, telling me Retin-A actually "shrinks" pores, which I knew. Thinking that Retin-A would help me, I put some under my eye area as well since it is known to "boost collagen."

Well the next morning I woke up with enlarged pores IN MY UNDER EYE AREA. Mortified, I went straight to a plastic surgeon to talk to him. He told me this:

"Enlarged pores are absolutely a possible side effect of retin-a. I'm not sure why your dermatologist didn't go over that with you, but that's a whole other story. Dermatologists are trying to become something today that they aren't." He also said that like any drug, everything can have a negative effect and this is one of the possible ones.

He told me that sensitive skinned, fair people are more prone. I stopped using it on March 3rd. It has been five months and they are almost all gone. The surgeon told me it would take 6-9 months.

This has been an extremely traumatic experience. I have gorgeous skin and people always comment on it. I am not writing this review to hear attacks on how amazing retin-a is and how i used it improperly or any of that. I am just writing this to tell you that it is a POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECT. I am only doing this because if i had known that it would be a possibility, I would ahve had the chance to question whether or not I still wanted to try it.

I hope you consider this when you decide to try this. Also know that, retin-a is, in a sense, the surgeon told me, a chemical peel in a bottle. i

I will also say that for the first 6 months I used it, I was absolutely in LOVE with it. I never ever had a pimple, and my skin looked plumper. Then one day it turned on me very very very badly.

Word of Warning: **Be careful.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2012 6:52:00 PM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I wanted to do a new review since I have been using this almost a year now over 6 months without a doubt and I at 33 have my skin back. My acne made me feel like crap I kept thinking in my 20's soon it would be gone but it wasn't. Sadly my skin was all scarred, Hyper pigmentation, it was rough you name it. Now the purging did sux I'm not going to lie and my face was red and peeling and just horrid. Now though I will get 1 tiny pimple around that time but hang with the purging because after 4 months I had good skin come six months and my Fam said what have you done you look 10 years younger.

I was like Retin A and I took this upon myself because my insurance does not cover it so I ordered it online. Luckily I have a good seller and get a good price because I will never go back to not using this. This is a HG and I only said that once before but this product gave me my life back! Now I don't feel like people are staring at my zits. I do have a regime I will share and I think unlike hair the skin should stick with what it likes. I only use moisturizer after an hour either Josie's Argan or Tony Molly and Baviphat Apple products one is a pack and the other is a moisturizer /pore reducer. In the day I use Baviphat's Peach waterfall cream. I also use MISSHA foaming face wash Green Tea during the day and the Chocolate at night. I'm american but swear by Asian products they have been amazing BB Cream as well. I just started to introduce the Argan oil so we'll see how that goes.

Also I do use a Mia and if you can afford it get it. It's not an exfoliater but it let's the medicine sink right in. I find the Mia to be key in keeping my skin clear with the RA. So my message is try this or if your on it hang with it because the results are amazing. I do recommend this to those who do need it and your Doc knows your using it. If you buy online or get an RX your Doc should know. I prefer to buy it because it's cheaper for me but that doesn't mean I don't have a Doc's supervision. I just want to make that clear to follow the directions and just hang and you will get the skin you deserve.