September 2, 2014 | 1925 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2012 10:21:00 AM More reviews by cleogirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I have been using this for a few years now and for me, it's been a lifesaver. It is the one product that I've tried that has really changed the texture, look and feel of my skin more than anything. Beware, as others have stated, that you will not see results overnight and your skin does get worse before it gets better when you start using this but when your skin adjusts to it, it really works miracles!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2012 1:56:00 PM More reviews by joannas20

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Ok so a little bit about my skin. I have always struggled with acne and for the most part I can keep my skin fairly clear by using tea tree oil or benzoyl peroxide. I also wear foundation so this hides any red or acne marks I may have. This used to work for me but for the last year I have been breaking out so much. My skin just took a turn for the worst and I keep getting these stubborn little bumps under the skin that will not go away no matter what I do. So I decided to try and find a new medication. Thanks to makeupalley and all the great reviews I decided to try Retin A. It had so many benefits that I couldnt resist!

So I made a trip to the Doctors office and he decided to start me on 0.025 Retin A gel. Told me I could get something stronger if this didnt work. Fast forward two weeks and I can already see a huge improvement. My acne is by no means completely cleared but I can see that all those stubborn bumps are gone. My acne marks are healng up nicely and my skin just looks brighter.

Be warned though, Retin A does peel your skin a lot. For the first week my skin looked pretty gross. My boyfriend made sure to let me know lol. However, with daily gentle exforliation, the newly buffed skin shows great new skin under it. I am now at the point where it is still dry but not nearly as bad. I'm hoping my skin will be almost all cleared up in another two weeks. I have every intention to stay on this gel.

Another great thing to mention is that all the blackheads in my nose and cheeks that I didnt even know were there have been coming to the surface and literally rolling out of my skin when I wash it. I know gross but that means it's working and my pores are getting cleaned out.

If you have moderate acne I suggest using this product. It doesnt hurt to try and see. I just know that for me I'm glad I gave it a chance. It will be hard to get through the peeling and irritated stage but it will be so worth it in the end.

I will update in two weeks time and let you know how my skin is doing.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2012 1:32:00 AM More reviews by Madinah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been going back to this product for years! IT ALWAYS WORKS! I pay 30$ per dermo visits and I get it free from my dermo. Right now I'm on the 0.025% because I built my immunity up to it and it has been working for a yr now before that i was using the 0.05% and loved it too.

When I run out of whatever % I was on I stay clear for about 6 months without it but I always go back :) But when i continuously kept using this product.......... it NEVER stops working too!

Ive never been so loyal to an acne product in my life <3

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2012 12:18:00 AM More reviews by amnahp12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

So I realize this is a premature review; I wanted to track progress! Won't say what's been said. I suffer from mild-moderate acne that had gotten increasingly, exponentially worse since it started two years ago. I'm finally at that point where I feel so terrible in my skin and have tried so many things (mostly natural and dietary remedies) to try and remedy this stupid hormonal mess up and nothing is working. I recently started using neostratas aha and for the first time within a few days it seemed to be making a dramatic difference in the clarity and smoothness of my skin. Then I finally received the tretinoin 0.025% I've been waiting for. based on all the reviews and feedback I started slow -pea sized amount, every other night, buffered, applied well after washing and waiting.

Week 1: mild breakouts. shucks, I had been hoping to not have a breakout period by taking precautions, alternating nightly with aha; but the increased breakouts could also be linked to bad diet and dehydration (I moved and still haven't quite settled) or any number of factors. no irritation, burning or excessive peeling; I did notice dryness on one side of my chin when I neglected to put on lotion (otherwise I haven't noticed since I always keep my skin well hydrated). No stinging on application; almost seems to not be doing anything but I'm keeping it up and hoping for the best! Also no sun sensitivity yet. Considering moving into nightly or two nights on one night off, but I don't want to rush and screw up my skin.

Week 2: Started flaking after writing the first update, but in just a few days, the only minor flaking is on my nose. I have a dry skin type so my face feels pretty much like it regularly does when I let it dry without a moisturizer. I had an increase in gross whiteheads 2-3 days ago, but today they are mostly gone [granted, I've been bad and have been extracting them when too close anyway] and my skin is surprisingly smooth. I still have some big under-the-skin rounded pimples, and there is still a bit of roughness/raised skin from old pimples, but overall it feels better than it had been several weeks ago. Hyperpigmentation worse than ever, of course, since EVERY little blemish leaves a big mark. I think it's my imagination that my blackheads have faded ever so slightly.
Week 3: skin improving daily, which is a big surprise to me. It's almost completely smooth, with only a few itty bitty places with raised skin and healing blemishes - nothing active, hyperpigmentation less dramatic (need much less concealer, job done well enough with just foundation) and ironically enough face is oilier (ie feels fully moisturized in the morning) when I don't buffer with moisturizer first. Very strange not waking up dry! Not sure if this is completely attributable to the tretinoin or zinc I started taking simultaneously (although I hadn't expected any good to come of it) or a combination or even the weather turning cooler. Face is still not dry/thin/irritated/photosensitive. Absolutely no change to a patch of clogged pores that appeared almost overnight and slowly work themselves one by one into volcanic pimples.

Dec 3, 2012: hello hello, a sudden and suspicious lack of any blemishes! I've still had a few lingering ones at all times - particularly the last few weeks of travelling - but this week, nothing more than fading scars. It'll come back for sure, but I'm still crossing fingers hoping for the best. Flaking and dryness nonexistent. As for routine, I apply most (not all) nights after dream cream with no buffer time (I come home late and leave early) which doesn't seem to have a negative impact.

April 7, 2013: Few breakouts here and there, every 'month' ahem ahem. Nothing monstrous, on the whole my skin is so much nicer than it had become, and scars are fading! Always a disappointment when my face decides to go on a breakout spree though, as the retin-a doesn't do a whole lot to heal much faster. Moved up to the 0.05, which immediately caused dryness and flaking after 2-3 nightly applications, so scaled it all the way back. Other than that my skin had completely acclimated to the 0.025 long ago, but was sensitive to the wind/cold.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2012 1:29:00 PM More reviews by glamourjenny

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this product! I've suffered bad acne since I was 11... Yes, 11 years old! Retin A is derived from Vitamin A. It is a chemical exfoliant. Glycolic acid and salicylic acid are examples of chemical exfoliants. Physical exfoliants are scrubs.

Now that I'm 23, my face has cleared with some occasional breakouts but my skin is dull and my pores are super enlarged. During exam wk (college) and my menstrual cycle, my acne will flare up around my nose, chin, or jaw line. After reading this very same product review on makeupalley, I spoke to my doc about it and received 3 refills worth of the 0.05% for $5. The first 3 months that I started using this, I somewhat half ass-ed my applications. I started using this in June. I used it every 3rd night, then skip a whole wk, then use it every other night for a wk, then I'd forget to put it on for another wk or 2. I didn't really want to use too much of the product because I live in California, and during the summer time, our temperature goes up to the 110 degree range and I didn’t want to risk getting a chemical burn because I get sunburned easily.

During those 3 months, I noticed that my skin looked dehydrated, even duller, and the dry skin look did not help the wrinkles under my eyes. Only once out of those 3 months did I notice that my skin was flakey. But it was just slightly flakey... nothing dramatic or gross. Now, in my 4th month, I finally started using it every night and the tube is half way done. Even though it's still in the 100 degrees at where I live, I decided to use my winter moisturizer.

Now my skin looks plump and amazing! I used it under my eyes and my lines have dramatically become less noticeable. Even my crow's foot on my left eye, due to driving, has been less noticeable. The size of my pores has decreased. I wondered why my skin is so tolerant to the product; I was expecting the worse side effects: peeling, purging, etc. However, I didn’t suffer any of those things, probably because I used to use glycolic acid, so my skin is probably used to chemical exfoliants.

I started using this cream on my chest and back a few days ago. (Yes, I break out horribly on my back and chest!) Now, I noticed that my chest and back are a lot smoother. FYI, my skincare routine is consists of nighttime: Cerave foam cleanser, Retin A, and crème de La Mer. Morning: Cerave foam cleanser, Clinique moisturizing gel, Shiseido sunscreen SPF 50. I noticed that Retin A has helped my skin so much that I cut down the amount of products that I used to buy. That definitely saved me a lot of money.

Be careful not to use other chemical exfoliants when you’re using Retin A.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/27/2012 3:28:00 PM More reviews by ukpolly

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Hi
My son was prescribed this for his bouts of acne...It dosnt work...
Acne is caused by bacteria in the body floating round the blood stream
He was then prescribed a mild antIbiotic called euthremycin, just one a day for a month.
IT WORKED. ZITS GONE.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/21/2012 12:30:00 AM More reviews by summersnows

This was recommended by my dermatologist when I asked her to perform a laser resurfacing treatment to erase the pitted scars, she gave this to me to control my acne first. My acne is pretty much controlled with a few small occasional zits, but I have seriously clogged pores, especially around my t-zone. I started with the 0.025% first, i use it every night, it was magic! It peeled and I got clearer skin, however to get to that stage I had to go through the painful transition phase where breakouts gets more serious, luckily for me, there aren't any cystic pimples. But when I upgraded to the 0.05%one, which I use it every other night, my skin started to get oily and it doesn't seem to be peeling anymore.. I think my skin got resistant to it.and it does not work anymore though it didn't give me any adverse effects, it stopped giving me positive results. And my blackheads were never gone. It just sat there in my drawer. I'm not very fair, and I only apply sunscreen when I have PE lessons in school.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/19/2012 9:21:00 PM More reviews by deedrajean

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

i got Retin-A proscribed by my dermatologist for my ance. for reference i have very oily, sensitive very very acne prone skin. all this did for me was break me out way worst then what i started with, dried my skin so out that i peeled everyday all day and when i would smile my face out crack. and turned my face bright red. that was just my experience. i've heard this works wonders on some people. but me it did the total opposite, so disappointed.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2012 11:03:00 AM More reviews by chafi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've used this on an off since 2004. I use the 0,5 strength every night and I haven't had problems with skin irritation or flakes. I use this all over my face, even in my under eye area. I clean my face and remove my make up with EVOO, and remove most of that with LRP micellar water for oily sensitive skin. In the morning I use a 10% glicolic acid gel and eucerin dermo purifier moisturiser SPF 30. This regime has absolutely transform my skin. I have no blackheads, spots, sun spots or wrinckles.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/28/2012 3:35:00 AM More reviews by shellbeach

I used this product a few years ago and I'm writing this review because out of all of the products I've used to treat my acne, this was probably the worst one.

I followed the directions to the letter. I used this at night after gently cleansing and patting my skin dry. In the morning, I would carefully wash and apply sunscreen and oil-free moisturizer. I stayed away from direct sunlight. After about three days of this, I noticed that parts of my skin were starting to flake off. I was fine with that. I thought that meant it was working. The pharmacist had told me that it would take up to 6 weeks to see results and that my skin would look pretty bad at first. After maybe a week, I had acne in new places. My T-zone was always really terrible, but my cheeks had pimples only occasionally. Then huge zits started to appear there and I got a little concerned. I still stuck with the treatment though, because I thought my skin was just "purging" and getting used to the product. For the entire 6 weeks, I was embarrassed of how I looked because my skin was literally peeling off. It looked like I had some sort of skin disease or a really bad sunburn. Finally, after 6 weeks, I realized that my skin was wildly inflamed and it was just getting worse, not even slightly better. So that's when I finally gave up on it. It was really disappointing.

It has probably been four years or more and my cheeks are still scarred from where those giant pimples were. I really regret using this stuff. It might work for other users, but for me it was a nightmare. If you do end up using this product, I would stay away from any areas on your face that are relatively blemish-free.